US Politics - Trump cancels summit having to do with North Korea

Our best bits.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Moggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:Meanwhile, the defense budget gets more bloated.


But they have to spend a lot of defence because all those Muslims and Mexicans want to hurt them. :cry:

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:49 am

They also need to spend more on area 51 :shifty: .

I wonder if the staff have to go through a process of being promoted from area 1 all the way to area 51?
Area 1 contains rubbish secrets like the KFC recipe and it just gets more and more secret until bingo, it's aliens.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by KK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:01 am

I really wouldn't want to be broke in America, I can tell you that much.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Moggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 am

Peter Crisp wrote:They also need to spend more on area 51 :shifty: .

I wonder if the staff have to go through a process of being promoted from area 1 all the way to area 51?
Area 1 contains rubbish secrets like the KFC recipe and it just gets more and more secret until bingo, it's aliens.


See if I was in charge, I would set up a super secret Area 51 and let all the loonies spend all their time investigating it and coming up with theories about what is in there.

But I would put all the really secret stuff in Area 52.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by KK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am

Some of these cuts are mind blowing...

- Cuts $250 million from coastal research programs that ready communities for rising seas and worsening storms.
- Eliminates the Economic Development Administration, which gives out grants in struggling communities
- Cuts $3.7 billion in grants for teacher training, after-school and summer programs, and aid programs to first-generation and low-income students
- Shifts air traffic control outside the government
- Eliminates funding for many new transit projects and support for long-distance Amtrak trains
- Eliminates $175 million in subsidies for commercial flights to rural airports
- Cuts $499 million from the TIGER grant program, which has funded dozens of road, transit and other projects.
- Discontinues funding for international climate-change programs.
- Cuts $102 million of funding from Earth science, terminating four missions aimed at understanding climate-change

And on and on it goes...

This man is out of his damn mind.

Image
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Preezy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:27 am

This is what happens when you elect a businessman into office. He's all about the bottom line.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by KK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:32 am

They're almost so outrageous it's like they're intentionally designed not to pass congress. The man is a con-artist, so ask yourself what's the con being played here...to go back again with less severe cuts that seem relatively moderate by comparison?

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:34 am

KKLEIN wrote:They're almost so outrageous it's like they're intentionally designed not to pass congress. The man is a con-artist, so ask yourself what's the con being played here...to go back again with less severe cuts that seem relatively moderate by comparison?


I think congress would pass that budget though.

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Rocsteady » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 am

I don't like resorting to hyperbole but surely some of this is worryingly close to fall-of-Rome type policies. Piling billions more into an already ludicrously bloated defence sector while completely decimating education and healthcare. The public's not going to be prepared for our Information Age in any sense, even ignoring the disastrous climate change/environmental policies.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Moggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 am

Preezy wrote:This is what happens when you elect a businessman into office. He's all about the bottom line.


He's all about pretending to be a massively successful businessman while filing multiple bankruptcies....

KKLEIN wrote:They're almost so outrageous it's like they're intentionally designed not to pass congress.


A Republican controlled Congress. I'd imagine they'll wave this through.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Preezy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:38 am

Moggy wrote:
Preezy wrote:This is what happens when you elect a businessman into office. He's all about the bottom line.


He's all about pretending to be a massively successful businessman while filing multiple bankruptcies....[/quote]
As I've said previously, it's fitting that the bankrupt country has a bankruptcy veteran in charge.

Last edited by Preezy on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by KK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:39 am

Bodes well for our UK-US trade negotiations! :mrgreen:


:dread:

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Moggy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:43 am

KKLEIN wrote:Bodes well for our UK-US trade negotiations! :mrgreen:


:dread:


If the Secretary of Commerce gets his way, then that negotiation will just involve the US stealing our trade.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by KK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:45 am

Trump, 2016: "We're going to bring jobs back to Detroit, we're going to win like we've never won before. We're going to keep winning and winning, folks. Detroit is going to win so hard you're going to be tired of winning."

Trump, 16 March 2017: Trump plan slashes funding for Detroit, Great Lakes and much more. President Donald Trump this morning will propose a federal budget with far deeper cuts than suggested by recent media reports, altogether eliminating funding for Great Lakes restoration efforts, eradicating tens of millions of dollars in annual funding for Detroit and slashing job training funds, heating assistance for the poor and a vast array of other long-standing programs.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /99220434/

You can't parody this gooseberry fool.

Image
User avatar
Gandalf
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Gandalf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:58 am

This video says it all! :lol:


User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Preezy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Fake video! It's clearly reversed, people, believe me. I've seen a few photoshops in my time.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 pm

So the general idea I get from that list is that Trump isn't a fan of public transport.
The US public transport system is going to be a bloody laughing stock and this is a country that thinks it has the best of everything in the world.

Something like Londons Crossrail would be completely impossible in the US going forward as the government simply won't have any money to help build it. It's lucky Americans seem to hate the idea of public transport anyway so maybe not funding it isn't going to be a problem.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Garth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Some of these cuts are mind blowing...

- Cuts $250 million from coastal research programs that ready communities for rising seas and worsening storms.
- Eliminates the Economic Development Administration, which gives out grants in struggling communities
- Cuts $3.7 billion in grants for teacher training, after-school and summer programs, and aid programs to first-generation and low-income students
- Shifts air traffic control outside the government
- Eliminates funding for many new transit projects and support for long-distance Amtrak trains
- Eliminates $175 million in subsidies for commercial flights to rural airports
- Cuts $499 million from the TIGER grant program, which has funded dozens of road, transit and other projects.
- Discontinues funding for international climate-change programs.
- Cuts $102 million of funding from Earth science, terminating four missions aimed at understanding climate-change

And on and on it goes...

This man is out of his damn mind.


Screw everything else, let's make the largest and most expensive military in the world even bigger!

Madness.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by Peter Crisp » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:30 pm

KKLEIN wrote:Trump, 2016: "We're going to bring jobs back to Detroit, we're going to win like we've never won before. We're going to keep winning and winning, folks. Detroit is going to win so hard you're going to be tired of winning."

Trump, 16 March 2017: Trump plan slashes funding for Detroit, Great Lakes and much more. President Donald Trump this morning will propose a federal budget with far deeper cuts than suggested by recent media reports, altogether eliminating funding for Great Lakes restoration efforts, eradicating tens of millions of dollars in annual funding for Detroit and slashing job training funds, heating assistance for the poor and a vast array of other long-standing programs.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/m ... /99220434/

You can't parody this gooseberry fool.


I remember a comedy program about UK politics where an MP asked the civil service "Have you modelled if killing all the poor will save the economy?" to which was replied that of course they hadn't as it would be political suicide but a few seconds later admitted that indeed they had done a detailed statistical model and found that unfortunately killing all the poor people doesn't help.

It was funny at the time but I think that that conversation may actually happen in Trumps White House.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The American Politics Thread
by KK » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Peter Crisp wrote:So the general idea I get from that list is that Trump isn't a fan of public transport.
The US public transport system is going to be a bloody laughing stock and this is a country that thinks it has the best of everything in the world.

Something like Londons Crossrail would be completely impossible in the US going forward as the government simply won't have any money to help build it. It's lucky Americans seem to hate the idea of public transport anyway so maybe not funding it isn't going to be a problem.

If Michael Portillo's programmes are any indication, the trains are mostly empty. They'd rather drive the long distances or simply get a plane.

Outside of the major cities like Atlanta, New York and San Francisco, transportation is already atrocious; streets also completely deserted. The car is king. And why wouldn't it be. Car prices are incredibly low, petrol prices are low, and driving is mostly grid based, with none of the overly complicated road and signage structure we face in learning to drive throughout Europe. Go automatic and you can really dumb it down. Not that driving is any more fun than it is in London, however. Places like Atlanta, GA and Los Angeles are notoriously gridlocked in rush hour.

You can do Europe on foot, and in my opinion it's far more rewarding to do so, but America that mentality simply doesn't work (under investment coupled with its vastness). And it really isn't going to work with further cuts.

Image

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests