Retro Club Weekender

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Dowbocop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Not a particularly unusual bit of kit in and of itself, but I'm quite happy with how this project went and others may find it useful...

I'm sure we all face the problem of keeping retro stuff to hand and playable with, but also balancing that with not living in absolute clutter. With that in mind I decided to mount my Mega Drive under my computer desk.

I made the mount from an old picture frame, some shoelaces, and some ribbon from one of those massive Hobbs bags. It ain't pretty, but then it's not for show! It plays fine. All it might need is an extension cable for the controllers, but in regular use you don't change them that often so it should be okay.

I could have just used sticky pads but I didn't like risking damaging the bottom of the console. This should work for any cartridge based system. I only actually have my Mega drive here at the moment but I may mount my 2600 Jr when I bring it up. I can't find any other examples of doing this from a quick Google, so maybe I'm a trend setter...
Image

Image

User avatar
Advent7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Advent7 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:37 pm

I don't think I'll try that with my mega drive/mega cd/ 32x combo ;)

Image
User avatar
Yulehide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Yulehide » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:01 pm

Dowbocop wrote:Not a particularly unusual bit of kit in and of itself, but I'm quite happy with how this project went and others may find it useful...

I'm sure we all face the problem of keeping retro stuff to hand and playable with, but also balancing that with not living in absolute clutter. With that in mind I decided to mount my Mega Drive under my computer desk.

I made the mount from an old picture frame, some shoelaces, and some ribbon from one of those massive Hobbs bags. It ain't pretty, but then it's not for show! It plays fine. All it might need is an extension cable for the controllers, but in regular use you don't change them that often so it should be okay.

I could have just used sticky pads but I didn't like risking damaging the bottom of the console. This should work for any cartridge based system. I only actually have my Mega drive here at the moment but I may mount my 2600 Jr when I bring it up. I can't find any other examples of doing this from a quick Google, so maybe I'm a trend setter...
Image

Image


You're strawberry floating mad.

Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Dowbocop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Ironhide wrote:
You're strawberry floating mad.

:lol: What's wrong with it?

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Dowbocop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:04 pm

Ad7 wrote:I don't think I'll try that with my mega drive/mega cd/ 32x combo ;)

Theoretically the 32X would work, but I agree it would be a bruised knee risk. The best I could do here would be Sonic 2 and Knuckles in an Action Replay, but I think it would actually touch my PC!

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Trelliz » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Probably a silly question, but why upside down? To preserve the contacts?

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Dowbocop » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Trelliz wrote:Probably a silly question, but why upside down? To preserve the contacts?

Basically so I can fit the carts in.

User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Lotus » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Haven't posted in here for a while. Been sorting some stuff out though, so may well have a bit more to post over coming weeks.

This week...Alundra!

Image

Image

Comes with 1 disc, manual and double-sided map...

Image

Image

Image

...as well as a strategy guide.

Image

Image


Brucie bonus! Found this when sorting some bits...

Image

Image

Image ImageImage
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Gemini73 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 pm

That's in good condition. Used to have copies of Alundra and it's not so good sequel, but they were sold along with 95% of my PS1 collection some years back.

User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:24 am

Do you think the 12 months of live is still valid?

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:10 am

Dowbocop wrote:...I can't find any other examples of doing this from a quick Google, so maybe I'm a trend setter...

It's certainly innovative, Dowbocop, and it seems like a great solution for your setup. I'm not sure that I'd go for it myself although it has definitely made for an interesting Weekender post :-) .

Lotus wrote:This week...Alundra! ...as well as a strategy guide.

Some really nice shots there, Lotus. It's great that you included the guide - I enjoy seeing them alongside games! Thanks for sharing, dude.

Lotus wrote:...Been sorting some stuff out though, so may well have a bit more to post over coming weeks...

"I'm excited!".

Image <<< Thanks to Hyperion for my ace Christmas sig :wub: Image > Enter Mastaba
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Hyperion » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Paid a visit to the Centre for Computing History, in Cambridge today. Ordered up a Vectrex with Spike for some nostalgia feels.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Loved the Vectrex as a kid, and was always fascinated by the addition of overlays to the screen for each game :wub:

Last edited by Hyperion on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 am

Hyperion wrote:Paid a visit to the Centre for Computing History, in Cambridge today. Ordered up a Vectrex with Spike for some nostalgia feels...

This sounds ace! But... dead links :-(. Hypes, please re-share your adventure!

Hyperion wrote:...Loved the Vectrex as a kid, and was always fascinated by the addition of overlays to the screen for each game :wub:

I've never used a Vectrex but I would like to try one out. The colour overlays look achingly retro-cool!

Image <<< Thanks to Hyperion for my ace Christmas sig :wub: Image > Enter Mastaba
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Hyperion » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:08 am

jawafour wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Paid a visit to the Centre for Computing History, in Cambridge today. Ordered up a Vectrex with Spike for some nostalgia feels...

This sounds ace! But... dead links :-(. Hypes, please re-share your adventure!


Image

Fixed now!

Image Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

Hyperion wrote:Fixed now!

:toot: .

That looks great, Hypes. When you say "ordered up", was that just a turn of phrase... or can you request a machine and a game to have a go on? Sounds terrific!

Image <<< Thanks to Hyperion for my ace Christmas sig :wub: Image > Enter Mastaba
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Hyperion » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

jawafour wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Fixed now!

:toot: .

That looks great, Hypes. When you say "ordered up", was that just a turn of phrase... or can you request a machine and a game to have a go on? Sounds terrific!


Well they're a museum but they also have a vast archive. So like any archive, if you search through their catalogue and request something (preferably in advance), they'll bring it out for you. So yeah, it's pretty cool!

Image Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 am

Hyperion wrote:Well they're a museum but they also have a vast archive. So like any archive, if you search through their catalogue and request something (preferably in advance), they'll bring it out for you. So yeah, it's pretty cool!

That sounds amazing :o . I would like to visit there one day... it must have been great to sit down and play on the Vectrex!

Image <<< Thanks to Hyperion for my ace Christmas sig :wub: Image > Enter Mastaba
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Preezy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 am

That there Vetrex sure is purty :wub:

Image
AndyXMAS
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by AndyXMAS » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:20 am

I had to share a photo of this game - I only just received this in the post today, and it's in amazing condition :)

It's also the most expensive retro game I've ever bought...but it's one I've wanted for years, and I think it will only go up in value, as the UK PAL version didn't sell that well.

I've already played through the first level - so much fun :toot:

Image

User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Johnny Ryall » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:24 am

That's rad. I'm glad I kept the box for my NES classic. It's on my shelf as an ornament now but if the time comes years from now I have a feeling it will fetch a pretty penny, unless they suddenly commission more.


Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Parksey and 18 guests