Retro Club Weekender

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:01 pm

jawafour wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:...I've got nothing for you this week, but I am taking a trip to the local retro game shop this afternoon, so I may pick up a bargain or a SNES if there's one going.

You have a local retro game shop? And it's open on a Sunday? You live in an absolute utopia, Cora!


It's open 12-5, living in the hipster filled west end of Glasgow has its benefits. The guy is a bit odd, and he's shut when he should be open half the time, but he has a reasonable selection of stuff - I've got my eye on his reasonably priced copies of the two N64 THPS games if I can get to them this afternoon.
Image Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Drumstick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:03 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:
Drumstick wrote:Perfect Dark. :wub:

Still the best FPS ever relative to time of release.


Could've ended that sentence after the word "ever" you know.

I've got nothing for you this week, but I am taking a trip to the local retro game shop this afternoon, so I may pick up a bargain or a SNES if there's one going.

We know that but the addendum makes it an irrefutable statement.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:04 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:...I've got my eye on his reasonably priced copies of the two N64 THPS games if I can get to them this afternoon.

Did you have any luck, Cora?
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by IAmTheSaladMan » Mon May 01, 2017 2:23 am

jawafour wrote:I did notice that the case doesn't feature a PlayStation hologram, suggesting that either it's a replacement or that it is an older (original) case that has been used as a replacement. Not looking to put it down, dude, because everything is in lovely condition - just a spot! Ironically my copies of X-COM on the PlayStation should have blank cases but I replaced them with hologram versions because the originals were damaged.


What's the deal with different PS1 cases then, I didn't even know there were different types? It is a pretty old game, released in 1997 over here.
Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Green Gecko » Mon May 01, 2017 3:07 am

There are at least 3 different kinds. It's pretty whack.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Corazon de Leon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:44 am

jawafour wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:...I've got my eye on his reasonably priced copies of the two N64 THPS games if I can get to them this afternoon.

Did you have any luck, Cora?


Alas I didn't make it in there. I did, however, manage to score copies of V-Rally Edition '99 and WWF Warzone for £2.50 and £3 respectively in CEX, and Glover from eBay for £6.80.

The N64 collection now sits at 70/242 games; almost a third of the way there.
Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:...I did, however, manage to score copies of V-Rally Edition '99 and WWF Warzone for £2.50 and £3 respectively in CEX, and Glover from eBay for £6.80...

They all sound like excellent prices, Cora. Glover looks really smart on the '64.

Corazon de Leon wrote:...The N64 collection now sits at 70/242 games; almost a third of the way there.

:o . That sounds like a terrific selection, dude. Are you going for the full PAL set?
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Corazon de Leon » Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm

jawafour wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:...I did, however, manage to score copies of V-Rally Edition '99 and WWF Warzone for £2.50 and £3 respectively in CEX, and Glover from eBay for £6.80...

They all sound like excellent prices, Cora. Glover looks really smart on the '64.

Corazon de Leon wrote:...The N64 collection now sits at 70/242 games; almost a third of the way there.

:o . That sounds like a terrific selection, dude. Are you going for the full PAL set?


Eventually I will be - for now it's just games I want/bargains I spot rather than obsessive collecting, but that'll come. :lol:

I'm really quite annoyed at the copy of Carmageddon I got last week - looked great in the pictures but turned up filthy. :x
Image Image
User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Ironhide » Mon May 01, 2017 8:28 pm

IAmTheSaladMan wrote:
jawafour wrote:I did notice that the case doesn't feature a PlayStation hologram, suggesting that either it's a replacement or that it is an older (original) case that has been used as a replacement. Not looking to put it down, dude, because everything is in lovely condition - just a spot! Ironically my copies of X-COM on the PlayStation should have blank cases but I replaced them with hologram versions because the originals were damaged.


What's the deal with different PS1 cases then, I didn't even know there were different types? It is a pretty old game, released in 1997 over here.


I think they were pretty much the same but they later had Sony holograms on them when piracy started becoming prevalent.

Ps1 cases were so much better than the frankly horrible early Saturn ones which were in two halves with a cardboard cover literally glued on with a glue gun, none of mine are still in one piece as they never used enough glue on them, the later ones were better but were an utter banana split to open without launching the disc across the room - I wish they'd just used the Japanese cases instead.
Image
User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Dowbocop » Mon May 01, 2017 10:49 pm

Image
Various sports games. Enough said regarding NBA Jam, but Wayne Gretzky was actually pretty good fun as well, especially when the fights break out! Pete Sampras 96 was a bit poo. Grandslam will be fun once I get my head around the movement...

Image
RASSLIN! I struggle with the 16 bit wrestling games, can't ever do any grapples...

Image
Film and TV games. LOVED Last Crusade on the Game Gear. Jurassic Park was always on the demo pods in Game so I've only played it for about five minutes at a time. I can't remember if the Mega Drive one is the good one or not, hopefully it is!

Image
Some arcade sticks and the mummy strawberry floating Justifier 8-)

Obviously light guns don't work on these newfangled tellies, so sadly this is a museum piece (read: bone of contention as my wife wants me to get rid of it). It's going nowhere!
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Ad7 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 pm

I have that justifier pack! Got it at a car boot for a tenner I think waaaaaay back when. Always wanted that six button joystick but my parents wouldn't get it for me.
AndyXL
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by AndyXL » Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 am

I didn't have time to do this properly today as I was working.

But I did have time to take a quick snap of my SNES and N64, which sit on top of my filing drawers in my office (both are plugged into a CRT TV) :-)

Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Ad7 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:02 am

Boy the 64dd sure was ugly.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Green Gecko » Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 am

The MD Jurassic Park is excellent, a little clunky to control and pretty hard, lots of remembering exact pathways and death pits. It's just a different game to the SNES one which is a shooter. I grew up to the MD game and loved it.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Preezy » Tue May 02, 2017 11:46 am

Green Gecko wrote:The MD Jurassic Park is excellent, a little clunky to control and pretty hard, lots of remembering exact pathways and death pits. It's just a different game to the SNES one which is a shooter. I grew up to the MD game and loved it.

I also had the JP game on the Megadrive, I never got past the 3rd level I think, but I played those first 3 to death :lol:
Image
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by Corazon de Leon » Tue May 02, 2017 11:52 am

Picked up something today that I think you guys will appreciate at the weekend. Conditionally not fantastic, but a real fixer upper.
Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Tue May 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Dowbocop wrote:(selection of Mega Drive stuff)

That's a cool variety of gear, Dowb'. NBA Jam provides so much fun; it's one of those retro titles that still looks and plays great today!

AndyXL wrote:...But I did have time to take a quick snap of my SNES and N64...

It's ace to see two classic systems set up and looking to be in such good condition, Andy. I noticed that you've slammed two iconic Mario carts into 'em :) .

Corazon de Leon wrote:Picked up something today that I think you guys will appreciate at the weekend...

Cora is driving up the anticipation for the next Weekender :toot: .

Thanks again to everyone who has taken part this time around; it's terrific to see that so many GRcadians have passion for their retro gear!
AndyXL
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by AndyXL » Sat May 06, 2017 12:12 pm

It's SNES time, and a couple of the best RPGs for the system - Illusion of Time and Terranigma.

They're both Zelda-esq action RPGs, and in my humble opinion (and I'm in the minority), infinitely superior to the Squaresoft RPGs - I just find them a lot more straightforward and fun!

Both of the games are complete and in great condition.

Terranigma is quite rare, as it was one of the last UK SNES releases. The UK PAL version is especially rare, as although the game was released in other European countries, it was only released in the specific language of that country. So the German version for example, whilst much more common, only has German in-game text and no English. Plus the game never got a US release, so the only other country an English version came out was Australia.

Illusion of Time is also great, but is more common - it's called Illusion of Gaia in the US. A good condition copy can still fetch around £100 though :-)

Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by jawafour » Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 pm

AndyXL wrote:It's SNES time... Illusion of Time and Terranigma...

Gee... Andy rides up and slams down two classic RPGs to launch the Weekender! You've done well to get these highly-sought games in such great condition, Andy. Have you played through them yet?

What a way to kick-off the event! I'm not gonna have a chance to post today but I will dig out some gear for tomorrow. Everyone is welcome to join in so why not have a rummage through your cupboard and post a pic or two?
User avatar
IAmTheSaladMan
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Sunderland

PostRe: Retro Club Weekender
by IAmTheSaladMan » Sat May 06, 2017 12:45 pm

I used to have a copy of Illusion of Time years ago. I was pretty far into it but I got stuck somewhere near the end I believe.
Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gamerforever, Wrathy and 26 guests