Rio 2016

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Knoyleo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 am

Drumstick wrote:
Pan wrote:
Drumstick wrote:On one hand I'm surprised that Tokyo were awarded the 2020 Olympics given it was held in Beijing two cycles ago.


They are two completely different counties and cultures, mind.

Also, they are over 1000 miles apart.

There's no disputing that, I do, however, think that having another Olympics in East Asia so soon after Beijing, when it's only been held twice since the last time it was in that area of the globe, is a little too soon.

Would another Olympics in Western Europe within 8 years have been better had Madrid won? Would Istanbul even be a safe place to host the Olympics in 2020?
Last edited by Knoyleo on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Drumstick » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 am

Knoyleo wrote:
Drumstick wrote:
Pan wrote:
Drumstick wrote:On one hand I'm surprised that Tokyo were awarded the 2020 Olympics given it was held in Beijing two cycles ago.


They are two completely different counties and cultures, mind.

Also, they are over 1000 miles apart.

There's no disputing that, I do, however, think that having another Olympics in East Asia so soon after Beijing, when it's only been held twice since the last time it was in that area of the globe, is a little too soon.

Would another Olympics in Eastern Europe within 8 years have been better had Madrid win? Would Istanbul even be a safe place to host the Olympics in 2020?

No to both.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Knoyleo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:29 am

I definitely meant to write Western Europe, there. :fp:

They were the final three options though, so what are you going to do?

I think Tokyo should be a great host city, and I don't think another Asian olympics in 12 years is too soon at all, looking at how frequently it flits between Europe and North America.
User avatar
TigaSefi
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Rio 2016
by TigaSefi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:58 pm

Olympics is a huge money drain and it getting harder for countries to justify spending billions on a 2 week jaunt which is why the choices are getting narrower at every selection process. At least it has not been held in Dubai yet.
Image

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
User avatar
Pan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Pan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:26 pm

I find it odd to describe it as a money drain.

It probably brings in quite a bit for the economy, not just tourism but the actual building of the infrastructure beforehand.

And what else would the money be spent on? There's always money for something when needed, be it flood relief, a war, international aid, or something like the Olympics that brings in so much.

What I find incredible is that each gold medal won equates to about £4m of funding and people complain about that. If anything, they should be conplaining if the UK DIDNT win so many medals.
Los Trabajadores del munda, unen!
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Tomous » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Pan wrote:I find it odd to describe it as a money drain.

It probably brings in quite a bit for the economy, not just tourism but the actual building of the infrastructure beforehand.

And what else would the money be spent on? There's always money for something when needed, be it flood relief, a war, international aid, or something like the Olympics that brings in so much.

What I find incredible is that each gold medal won equates to about £4m of funding and people complain about that. If anything, they should be conplaining if the UK DIDNT win so many medals.



It's a money drain because it usually has a net cost to your economy to host it.

That does depend on the venue-Atlanta received a massive boost because of it but somewhere like London, which already has strong tourism suffered in economic terms because the usual tourists stayed away and the Olympic footfall wasn't enough to replace it.

In terms of what else the money could be spent on, for somewhere like Rio arguably there are much more important and urgent causes it could have gone towards. We were in a decent position to host ours so the 3-4 weeks of the good feeling across the nation it brought about was probably worth it.
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Hyperion » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:51 pm

If you're sharing the Olympics round continents as they sort of do (although it's never been to Africa and only just South America) then it's going to have to go to the USA several times.
Realistically, apart from Europe, there's only up to 3/4 countries in each continent that could afford/would bid to host the Olympics and only the USA/China would offer to host it every 20 years.
Asia - China, Japan, Turkey, India, South Korea
Africa - South Africa, Nigeria
North America - Canada, USA, Mexico
South America - Brazil
Antarctica
Europe - Most Larger/Western European countries
Australia - Australia
Image Image
User avatar
TigaSefi
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Rio 2016
by TigaSefi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:06 pm

Hyperion wrote:If you're sharing the Olympics round continents as they sort of do (although it's never been to Africa and only just South America) then it's going to have to go to the USA several times.
Realistically, apart from Europe, there's only up to 3/4 countries in each continent that could afford/would bid to host the Olympics and only the USA/China would offer to host it every 20 years.
Asia - China, Japan, Turkey, India, South Korea
Africa - South Africa, Nigeria
North America - Canada, USA, Mexico
South America - Brazil
Antarctica
Europe - Most Larger/Western European countries
Australia - Australia


:lol: To be fair, it should be Australasia and say Australia and New Zealand.
Image

1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Moggy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:12 pm

They should just make a permanent home for the Olympics (preferably in Greece) and get every country to contribute towards the maintenance costs.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Tomous » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Seems the 2024 candidates are Paris, Rome, Budapest and LA.

In terms of Asia, I think Azerbaijan could one day host it.

Also it looks like in the future there will be a few Africa bids:

In August 2012, Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga announced that the capital city Nairobi was planning to bid for the 2032 games. It may also bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics.

In March 2011, the Moroccan government confirmed that it would begin construction of an 80,000-seat stadium and will bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics instead of 2024
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Karl » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:17 pm

I'm looking forward to the International Space Station's bid in 2060.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Moggy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Karl wrote:I'm looking forward to the International Space Station's bid in 2060.


The high jump will be amazing.
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Hyperion » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Moggy wrote:
Karl wrote:I'm looking forward to the International Space Station's bid in 2060.


The high jump will be amazing.


Beach Volleyball not so much
Image Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:46 pm

Moggy wrote:They should just make a permanent home for the Olympics (preferably in Greece) and get every country to contribute towards the maintenance costs.


I think if host countries can't keep a lid on the spiraling costs then this is a good idea.
Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Hyperion » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:15 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Moggy wrote:They should just make a permanent home for the Olympics (preferably in Greece) and get every country to contribute towards the maintenance costs.


I think if host countries can't keep a lid on the spiraling costs then this is a good idea.


Isn't that what the IMF said about a month ago?
Image Image
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Peter Crisp » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:12 am

It should always be in London as we did an excellent job of hosting it.
jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Knoyleo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:23 am

Peter Crisp wrote:It should always be in London as we did an excellent job of hosting it.

And it'll keep the roads clear.
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Knoyleo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:30 pm

Uh-oh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-37352326

Russian hackers leak Simone Biles and Serena Williams files

The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) has condemned Russian hackers for leaking confidential medical files of US Olympic athletes.
Athletes affected include tennis players Venus and Serena Williams and teenage gymnast Simone Biles.
A group calling itself "Fancy Bears" claimed responsibility for the hack of a Wada database.
After the leak, Ms Biles said she had long been taking medicine for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
The hacker group had accused her of taking an "illicit psycho-stimulant", but she said she had "always followed the rules".
The Rio Olympics quadruple gold medallist had obtained the necessary permission to take prescription medicine on the Wada banned drugs list, USA Gymnastics said in a statement.


Image

Wada said in a statement that the cyber attacks were an attempt to undermine the global anti-doping system.
Russian government spokesman Dmitry Peskov said it was "out of the question" that the Kremlin or secret services were involved in the hacking, Russian news agencies reported.
The hackers accessed records detailing "Therapeutic Use Exemptions" (TUEs), which allow the use of banned substances due to athletes' verified medical needs.
"By virtue of the TUE, Biles has not broken any drug-testing regulations, including at the Olympic Games in Rio," USA Gymnastics said.
Fancy Bears said TUEs amount to "licences for doping".
'Compromising trust'
Russia's track and field team were banned from the Rio Olympics over an alleged state-backed doping programme. All of its athletes are barred from the ongoing Paralympics.
"Let it be known that these criminal acts are greatly compromising the effort by the global anti-doping community to re-establish trust in Russia," Wada director-general Olivier Niggli said.
US Anti-Doping Agency chief Travis Tygart called the hack "cowardly and despicable".
"In each of the situations, the athlete has done everything right in adhering to the global rules for obtaining permission to use a needed medication," he said.
The US Olympic Committee has had "zero adverse findings from the Rio Olympic Games that weren't 100% within the medical guidelines set forth by anti-doping authorities," spokesman Patrick Sandusky said.
Earlier this month, Mr Niggli said Wada was experiencing almost daily cyber attacks originating from Russia.
Fancy Bears, which is also known as Tsar Team (APT28), has pledged to release confidential records from other national Olympic teams.
Analysis: Dave Lee, BBC North America technology reporter
It's an old adage in cybersecurity that the weakest point of any supposedly secure system is the people that use it.
Wada says it believes this hack was made possible thanks to a successful spearphishing attack. Phishing is a term given to the technique of tricking a user into giving up crucial information - often by clicking a link that takes them to a malicious website disguised as a familiar one, such as the log-in page for a bank or social network.
Spearphishing takes this one significant step further. While a phishing attack is often aimed at many people in the hope some will fall for it, spearphishing is highly targeted. Hackers perhaps identified a small number of people, or even just one person, and wrote a phishing attack specifically designed to trick them.
Other than pushing a message of vigilance among staff, spearphishing is incredibly difficult to defend against. Attackers often scour the internet, looking for added information on the target that might make an email more believable. Sometimes even knowing a person's favourite football team is enough to tip the balance in making a spearphishing email seem genuine.


There could be a lot of dirt to come out of this. Regardless of whether these athletes need these medicines or not, this is going to damage reputations.

How long before a British cyclist gets a mention?
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Knoyleo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:23 am

Knoyleo wrote:How long before a British cyclist gets a mention?

Called it

Wiggins and Froome medical records released by 'Russian hackers'

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, Alvin Flummux, floydfreak, JediDragon05, massimo, Met, Photek, Red 5 stella, Slayerx and 42 guests