Rio 2016

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRio 2016
by Drumstick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 am

Image
'A New World'

Games of the XXXI Olympiad
Dates: 5 Aug - 21 Aug
Events: 306 in 28 Sports
Nations: 207

Official Site: https://www.rio2016.com/en
BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016

Schedule

Image

Russia athlete ban upheld by Cas

A decision to ban Russian track and field athletes from Rio 2016 over the country's alleged state-sponsored doping regime has been upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Russia's athletics federation was suspended by the sport's world governing body, the IAAF, after an independent report found evidence of widespread doping.

The Russian Olympic Committee and 68 athletes appealed against that decision but after hearing evidence from both sides, Cas has ruled the ban can stand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36855244

However...

Russia's press has reacted with anger at the international report which found evidence of state-backed sports doping over a four-year period.

Pro-government papers dismiss the validity of the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) report, which some said was influenced by foreign governments as part of a deliberate anti-Russia campaign.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36835690

Yes, it's everyone else's fault, Russia, not yours.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
romeo G. Detlev Jr.
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Rio 2016
by romeo G. Detlev Jr. » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:13 am

This is gonna be dope

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Rax » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:16 am

Im looking forward to seeing the rugby 7s, hopefully its as competitive as the various 7s series events, theyre always a good watch. Outside of that Ill become an expert in fencing, weightlifting and rhythmic gymnastics as I do every 4 years.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Preezy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:17 am

I'm looking forward to seeing:

100m Mens - Dat Bolt (will it be his last Olympics?)
Football - can't ever have enough of that!
Tennis - another Gold medal for Andy?
Golf - first time it's been in the Olympics for generations (sadly not many of the top 10 will be playing)
Gynmastics - because ladies
Volleyball - because ladies

Everything else will be ignored.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Moggy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:22 am

I'm looking forward to the Russian's in the track and field events.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Drumstick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:29 am

As usual I'll be watching as much as humanly possible with particular focus on athletics, swimming and cycling.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
bigcheez2k3
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by bigcheez2k3 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:33 am

Should be some good opportunities for matched betting :shifty:

Although I do like it all tbh, probably watch some athletics and cycling at the least. Swimming also.

Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:


I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Poser » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:34 am

Kicking Russia out the games is a real shame for both of their clean sportspeople.

Image
User avatar
romeo G. Detlev Jr.
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Rio 2016
by romeo G. Detlev Jr. » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:40 am

I don't think I'll go out of my way to watch any of it bar the 100m men's final, but I've no doubt I'll end up catching a fair bit of it.

Interesting to see McIlroy's made himself look like a right spoilt mug in the way he's dealt with the Olympics. Probably ensured Andy wins SPOTY again (not that it really matters)

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Drumstick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:19 pm

Fries. Wedges. Crisps? wrote:Interesting to see McIlroy's made himself look like a right spoilt mug

Now he's just like 99% of all professional golfers.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
romeo G. Detlev Jr.
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
AKA: Dan.
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Rio 2016
by romeo G. Detlev Jr. » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Well, quite. :lol:

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:42 pm

Do we really have to wait a whole week for the athletics to start?

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Rax » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Do we really have to wait a whole week for the athletics to start?

Its always that way isnt it? Swimming dominates the early days and then athletics takes over.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Return_of_the_STAR » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Rax wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Do we really have to wait a whole week for the athletics to start?

Its always that way isnt it? Swimming dominates the early days and then athletics takes over.


Maybe, but I don't remember it being a whole week.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Rio 2016
by KK » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:52 pm

All anyone really cares about is the Beach volleyball. On the beach.

Image
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Rio 2016
by jiggles » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Hoping Annalise Murphy can grab a medal this time around.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Drumstick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:54 pm

Bolt has come out and said he's going to be gunning for his own 200m WR. :nod:

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Snowcannon
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: New York

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Snowcannon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:09 pm

Got to say it's a complete joke the number of golfers and tennis players that pulled out 'due to Zika'. Just admit the real reason...

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:13 pm

Snowcannon wrote:Got to say it's a complete joke the number of golfers and tennis players that pulled out 'due to Zika'. Just admit the real reason...


Whilst I see your point that they don't care for the Olympics as Rory put it across really well when he said that golf shouldn't be in the Olympics and said that he grew up wanting to win the masters and not an Olympic gold medal, it shouldn't be ignored that the golf course is built on a swamp and will be the place where they are most likely at risk from the zika virus.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rio 2016
by Monkey Man » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Russia will not receive a blanket ban from Rio 2016 following the country's doping scandal, an Olympic source has told the BBC.

Instead, the International Olympic Committee will leave it up to individual sport's governing bodies to decide if Russian competitors are clean and should be allowed to take part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36878983

ImageImage

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Bing [Bot], Mintoisgod and 45 guests