Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:25 pm

I caught this again the other day before it left the cinema.

I preferred the opening quarter this time because it was so much easier to follow now that I recognise the characters (and obviously know the storyline).

I have no problem whatsoever with Darth Banter, in fact I think it is absolutely classic Vader.

The only issue I do have with that scene is the feminine way in which the man himself swings his hips as he walks up to Krennick. Seriously, what the strawberry float is up with that :lol: wouldn't look out of place in a Moneysupermarket advert.

Still a great film :datass: although I have decided for certain that I prefer The Force Awakens.

Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Saigon Slick » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:10 pm

Finally caught this while it's in its death throes at the cinema. Thought it was really good - couple of issues with the CGI and it jumps about a bit too much at the start, but all the actors were very good in their roles. I'd have liked Riz Ahmed and Mads( :wub: ) to have been given a bit more to do.

Image Image
User avatar
20%
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by 20% » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:29 pm

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT GUYS!

I've been led to believe there is a 1080p copy of this floating around various websites where we/you might legitimately watch episodes of television programs and/or films that we own a physical or digital copy of.

Resist the temptation to indulge these filthy pirates.

Definitely do not find it on the exodus plug in for Kodi, for example.

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 am

I'd actually quite like to own it on Blu-Ray. I can't see there being an A Star Wars Story box set for another 4 or 5 years or so, and don't wish to wait.

I've been watching the Clone Wars cartoon lately, and it's really quite good. It's making me want to watch the films - even the prequels.

Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by 1cmanny1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 am

I watched it today - finally. This took a long time to come out. But I managed to barely know anything about it.

It was very good. Better than the force awakens.
The Vader segment was very satisfying and well done.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:00 am

Pancake wrote:
Cedar Gingercrystals wrote:I love Return of the Jedi, never got the hate it receives.

Surely no one hates it? It just has more problems than the other two. ANH has more Alec Guinness and is therefore better by default.


I don't think people hate it or think it's a bad movie, it's just the worst of the three. It's good, the other two are just better.

It's like when people say TPM is the best of the prequels, they don't mean it is a good film, just that it's better than the two abominations that followed it.

I saw Rogue One last night, it's a decent Star Wars movie. Pretty brutal at the end as well!

ESB>ANH>RO>ROTJ=TFA>cancer>TPM>ROTS>the end of the world>AOTC

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Revenge of the Sith was clearly the best prequel, but I thought all of them had their moments.

Still waiting on Disney to hire Sega or Criterion to do a new Pod Racer game.

Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:Revenge of the Sith was clearly the best prequel,


:dread:

Image
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by HSH28 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Moggy wrote:It's like when people say TPM is the best of the prequels...


No it isn't, because when people say that they are clearly insane/massively forgetful about the entire film except the Pod Racing (which isn't as good as you think it is anyway) and Darth Maul.

User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by FatDaz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:07 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Moggy wrote:It's like when people say TPM is the best of the prequels...


No it isn't, because when people say that they are clearly insane/massively forgetful about the entire film except the Pod Racing (which isn't as good as you think it is anyway) and Darth Maul.


TPM is the most "Star Wars" of the prequels and has a lot more positives than people recall

+ great soundtrack duel of the fates is superb
+ best light sabre battle the 2 v 1 maul fight
+ Pod race was great
+ Actual sets and props
+ Only prequel with actual space battle
+ Less terrible dialogue (not great but no "sand" lines or "in my opinion the Jedi are evil")
+ nice multiple action / location ending similar to ROTJ

(Lets just ignore the political nonsense and Jar Jar)

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:10 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Moggy wrote:It's like when people say TPM is the best of the prequels...


No it isn't, because when people say that they are clearly insane/massively forgetful about the entire film except the Pod Racing (which isn't as good as you think it is anyway) and Darth Maul.


How do you know what I think of the pod race?

The reason it's the best of the prequels is because the other two are utter gash and TPM is just about watchable.

Image
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by HSH28 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:17 pm

FatDaz wrote:
HSH28 wrote:
Moggy wrote:It's like when people say TPM is the best of the prequels...


No it isn't, because when people say that they are clearly insane/massively forgetful about the entire film except the Pod Racing (which isn't as good as you think it is anyway) and Darth Maul.


TPM is the most "Star Wars" of the prequels and has a lot more positives than people recall

+ great soundtrack duel of the fates is superb
+ best light sabre battle the 2 v 1 maul fight
+ Pod race was great
+ Actual sets and props
+ Only prequel with actual space battle
+ Less terrible dialogue (not great but no "sand" lines or "in my opinion the Jedi are evil")
+ nice multiple action / location ending similar to ROTJ

(Lets just ignore the political nonsense and Jar Jar)


Jar Jar is in almost the entirety of the film, don't know how you can ignore him.

Some of the things you mention are minor things, some are plain wrong. There's no getting around it, apart from about maybe 20 minutes of that film the rest is almost unwatchable, not that there aren't problems with the other two films, but a larger percentage of both its sequels are at least ok.

HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by HSH28 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Moggy wrote:How do you know what I think of the pod race?

The reason it's the best of the prequels is because the other two are utter gash and TPM is just about watchable.


You say you think that film is better than the other two and that's part of the film that people like.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Moggy wrote:How do you know what I think of the pod race?

The reason it's the best of the prequels is because the other two are utter gash and TPM is just about watchable.


You say you think that film is better than the other two and that's part of the film that people like.


And yet I didn't mention it.

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Alvin Flummux » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:32 pm

Moggy wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Revenge of the Sith was clearly the best prequel,


:dread:


Aside from the "Nooo" bit and Padme's stupid death, it was pretty great.

Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
Rudolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Rudolphin » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:07 pm

LewisD wrote: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT GUYS!

I've been led to believe there is a 1080p copy of this floating around various websites where we/you might legitimately watch episodes of television programs and/or films that we own a physical or digital copy of.

Resist the temptation to indulge these filthy pirates.

Definitely do not find it on the exodus plug in for Kodi, for example.


I absolutely did not use this an a reason to finally install Exodus. It definitely didn't work flawlessly.

I also didn't enjoy it as much as the first time around and, like that time, definitely didn't tear up a bit at the end.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by FatDaz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 pm

HSH28 wrote:
FatDaz wrote:
HSH28 wrote:
Moggy wrote:It's like when people say TPM is the best of the prequels...


No it isn't, because when people say that they are clearly insane/massively forgetful about the entire film except the Pod Racing (which isn't as good as you think it is anyway) and Darth Maul.


TPM is the most "Star Wars" of the prequels and has a lot more positives than people recall

+ great soundtrack duel of the fates is superb
+ best light sabre battle the 2 v 1 maul fight
+ Pod race was great
+ Actual sets and props
+ Only prequel with actual space battle
+ Less terrible dialogue (not great but no "sand" lines or "in my opinion the Jedi are evil")
+ nice multiple action / location ending similar to ROTJ

(Lets just ignore the political nonsense and Jar Jar)


Jar Jar is in almost the entirety of the film, don't know how you can ignore him.

Some of the things you mention are minor things, some are plain wrong. There's no getting around it, apart from about maybe 20 minutes of that film the rest is almost unwatchable, not that there aren't problems with the other two films, but a larger percentage of both its sequels are at least ok.


Without wanting to feed the troll but... go on which bits are plain wrong? And which do YOU consider to be only minor?

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Dowbocop » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:23 am

FatDaz wrote:
HSH28 wrote:
FatDaz wrote:
HSH28 wrote:
Moggy wrote:It's like when people say TPM is the best of the prequels...


No it isn't, because when people say that they are clearly insane/massively forgetful about the entire film except the Pod Racing (which isn't as good as you think it is anyway) and Darth Maul.


TPM is the most "Star Wars" of the prequels and has a lot more positives than people recall

+ great soundtrack duel of the fates is superb
+ best light sabre battle the 2 v 1 maul fight
+ Pod race was great
+ Actual sets and props
+ Only prequel with actual space battle
+ Less terrible dialogue (not great but no "sand" lines or "in my opinion the Jedi are evil")
+ nice multiple action / location ending similar to ROTJ

(Lets just ignore the political nonsense and Jar Jar)


Jar Jar is in almost the entirety of the film, don't know how you can ignore him.

Some of the things you mention are minor things, some are plain wrong. There's no getting around it, apart from about maybe 20 minutes of that film the rest is almost unwatchable, not that there aren't problems with the other two films, but a larger percentage of both its sequels are at least ok.


Without wanting to feed the troll but... go on which bits are plain wrong? And which do YOU consider to be only minor?

Preferring one film to another isn't trolling.

There is a space battle in ROTS to be fair. It isn't great, but it's better than TPM's in my opinion. In terms of space fighting I also have a soft spot for the bit in AOTC when Obi Wan gets chased through the asteroid belt with the cool sounding concussion missiles. I can't remember who is chasing him (Jango?) and I can't remember where he's coming from or going to, but the missiles sound nice don't they?

TPM has "I've been wondering, what are midichlorians?" - that is up there with the worst of the worst dialogue in those films!

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Alvin Flummux » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 am

Every film has its great moments; I've long thought that the set piece battles on Geonosis were an amazing spectacle to behold, and as Dowbocop said, the prior scene in its asteroid belt where Jango chases Obi-Wan and there are epic imploder bombs going off was just fantastic.

Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Skippy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 am

The two best scenes in the whole prequel trilogy are the podrace and duel of the fates, nothing else comes close imo. I think Phantom Menace is the best of the prequels because of this, plus I'd rather rewatch a film with at least some physical filmmaking. The amount of green screen involved when compared to Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith is minimal


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blue Eyes, CuriousOyster, Finiarél, Glowy69, Google [Bot], Heskimo, ignition, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Met, Mistletooth, Parksey, Wedgie, Yahoo [Bot] and 50 guests