Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Tafdolphin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:03 am

captain red dog wrote:People let the trendy dissing of the prequels cloud their judgement on ROTS. It's easily the third best Star Wars film. Aside from the Darth "noooo" there was very little prequel shite in it.


We watched RoTS on Boxing Day and in no sense is it better than any Star Wars films except the first 2 prequels.

I was like you, thought it was probably no. 3 or 4 in the ranking but go back and watch it again... it's properly bad. Almost ost unwatchable bad. The acting, from Christianson mainly but everyone else as well, is just terrible, the plot has kernels of interest but is general non-sensical and the incredibly obvious green screening makes the whole thing look like a cartoon.

It's really, really bad.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Skippy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:14 am

Advent7 wrote:I never minded the ewoks.


Same, they're all cute and obviously for kids, but they also die by the dozen and are pretty strawberry floating savage.

Image

User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by LewisD » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:01 am

See, I also rate the original trilogy as
ROTJ > ESB > ANH.

Seeing as I've still not seen RO (had it spoiled by banana split at work though, thus why I'm here) I'm not laying down an eight film ranking.

Edit: I have to add that it's strawberry floating close between ROTJ and ESB.

I love them :wub:

User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:22 am

The first hour of RotJ is crap, though. Also, the Ewoks are gooseberry fool not just because they're cute fluffy bears but also because it means we have to watch them overcoming space-age, laser-rifle-armed marines with stones and arrows.

The space battle is great and the Luke/Vader/Emperor scene is obviously awesome, but the film has unfortunately done enough damage by then to take it far away from the top of the list.

ESB > ANH > TFA > RO > RotJ > RotS > TPM > AotC

Image
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Pancake » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:44 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:The first hour of RotJ is crap, though. Also, the Ewoks are gooseberry fool not just because they're cute fluffy bears but also because it means we have to watch them overcoming space-age, laser-rifle-armed marines with stones and arrows.

The space battle is great and the Luke/Vader/Emperor scene is obviously awesome, but the film has unfortunately done enough damage by then to take it far away from the top of the list.

ESB > ANH > TFA > RO > RotJ > RotS > TPM > AotC


Ob gets it. 8-)

The Empire are badasses in ESB but that level of badass is completely undermined by their inability to beat teddy bears with sticks. It rankles! :x

User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Jamo3103 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:01 am

I love Return of the Jedi, never got the hate it receives. It was my favourite Star Wars film growing up and although its' been replaced in that ranking as I've got older and appreciated the darker tones of the likes of Empire Strikes Back more, I still really appreciate Return of the Jedi.

I love the whole Jabbas palace set-up and the way that the whole sleazy underworld of Star Wars takes centre stage and puts distance between the main characters and the Empire. All the while the looming threat of the second death star and the proper introduction of the Emperor build up the tension in the background. I really like the Ewoks too, sure they're teddy bears with sticks and stones and they defeat a pretty major amount of Imperials but it's unexpected and I love some of the scenes with them before the battle, such as C3PO retelling the events of the films so far :wub: The final space battle and vader/luke/emperor on the death star is one of my favourite parts of the entire saga, totally epic and memorable.

A New Hope (as much as I love it) has always been the weakest link for me in the original Trilogy, always thought it was quite poorly paced.

I watched Episode 3 again just before Rogue One and I agree with most of what Rudolphin is saying, it has some great set pieces but the green screening and CGI looks awful and it's guilty of some terrible acting and dialogue (though not to the extent of AotC). It's the best of the prequels for me and is entertaining (in a summer blockbuster sort of way) but I don't think it comes close to the original trilogy, TFA or Rogue One. Of all the prequels I think Episode One probably holds up the best visually, I think perhaps down to the use of more practical sets. It looks more like a Star Wars film to me visually than any other films in that trilogy.

User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Skippy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:15 am

Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > A New Hope > Rogue One > The Force Awakens > Phantom Menace > Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones

Empire: Perfect
Jedi: Battle of Endor is a fantastically well directed multi-layered battle, Jabba's Palace sequence is excellent too
Hope: The foundation everything else is based on
Rogue: strawberry float YEAH
Force: Stylish but loose reboot/remake made great by Rey, Finn, Kylo
Phantom: I'll take the Podrace and Duel of the Fates over any sequence in Ep 2 or 3
Revenge: Bleugh
Clones: strawberry floating hell

Last edited by Skippy on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Pancake » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:19 am

Cedar Gingercrystals wrote:I love Return of the Jedi, never got the hate it receives.

Surely no one hates it? It just has more problems than the other two. ANH has more Alec Guinness and is therefore better by default.

User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Jamo3103 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:34 am

Pancake wrote:
Cedar Gingercrystals wrote:I love Return of the Jedi, never got the hate it receives.

Surely no one hates it? It just has more problems than the other two. ANH has more Alec Guinness and is therefore better by default.


Maybe hate is too strong a word but I see a hell of a lot more general dislike towards it (or parts of it).

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Return_of_the_STAR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:15 pm

Skippy wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Skippy wrote:I'd say TPM is the best of the prequels. Not great by any means but it had the least CGI and the best action sequences (the podrace and duel are excellent)


Did it have the least cgi? I thought pretty much all of the prequels were cgi in every scene.


It's night and day compared to episodes two and three. A lot more location shooting. Only scenes in the others I don't think were on sound stages were when they went back to Tatooine and Naboo


I havent properly watched the phantom menace in years but my memory was that it was just an awful cgi mess but I suppose most of the desert stuff was all shot on real locations.


Naboo too. The reason the later films have a lot more green screen is because of the trouble they had filming on location in Tunisia for Tatooine. Lucas had problems during with sand storms during A New Hope and Phantom Menace, so eventually cut down on location shooting pretty much entirely.


Really naboo, as I say I haven't seen it for so long but I just remember it all looking so fake.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Jamo3103 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:22 pm

I was just reading up on the use of CGI in the prequels and stumbled across this - http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/the-s ... del-or-cg/

Surprising how much was actually practical, but I think all the CGI enhancements definitely make it appear a lot more fake.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Return_of_the_STAR » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Cedar Gingercrystals wrote:I was just reading up on the use of CGI in the prequels and stumbled across this - http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/the-s ... del-or-cg/

Surprising how much was actually practical, but I think all the CGI enhancements definitely make it appear a lot more fake.


I think some of the problem was also using real backgrounds but using a green screen to actually put the characters there rather.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Jamo3103 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:37 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Cedar Gingercrystals wrote:I was just reading up on the use of CGI in the prequels and stumbled across this - http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/05/the-s ... del-or-cg/

Surprising how much was actually practical, but I think all the CGI enhancements definitely make it appear a lot more fake.


I think some of the problem was also using real backgrounds but using a green screen to actually put the characters there rather.


Yeah that definitely contributed, some of it was so unnecessary as well. I remember around the time Revenge of the Sith came out seeing some behind the scenes footage of Temuera Morrison in a green screen and the clone trooper body was then added onto him as Commander Cody for the scene where he speaks to Obi Wan.

User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Skippy » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:28 pm

An article I wrote today, fleshing out my reading of Rogue One - https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/how-rogue-o ... 14644.html

Basically, each of the core group represents part of the Rebellion as a whole:

Jyn - Hope
Cassian - Redemption
Chirrut - Faith
Baze - Loyalty
Bodhi - Defiance

User avatar
Pancake
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Pancake » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:58 pm

Very nice.

Personally I still don't think it works as well in practice as it does in theory.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Tafdolphin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:35 pm

Skippy wrote:Empire Strikes Back > Return of the Jedi > A New Hope > Rogue One > The Force Awakens > Phantom Menace > Revenge of the Sith > Attack of the Clones

Empire: Perfect
Jedi: Battle of Endor is a fantastically well directed multi-layered battle, Jabba's Palace sequence is excellent too
Hope: The foundation everything else is based on
Rogue: strawberry float YEAH
Force: Stylish but loose reboot/remake made great by Rey, Finn, Kylo
Phantom: I'll take the Podrace and Duel of the Fates over any sequence in Ep 2 or 3
Revenge: Bleugh
Clones: strawberry floating hell


Agree with this, but I'd add that I dislike the sequence at Jabba's Palace. It slows everything down and shrinks the stakes for far too long. It had a place, but that place should have been 30 minutes shorter.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Denster » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:49 pm

ESB >ANH>ROTJ>RO>TFA


Ewoks criticism notwithstanding - ROTJ has all the payoff, the amazing sabre battle and space battle and I love all the set up.

Lump the prequels in whatever order you like. They've all got great star wars moments in but are weighed down by the shite. The Vader 'birth' bit is great until they strawberry float it up with NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

10, Zartan, <];^D
The SS shitlist.
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by HSH28 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:21 pm

I don't know how anyone can think any of the prequel movies are close to any of the other movies. That having been said I don't get the Attack of the Clones hate either, its got some properly good scenes in it, in fact snip out 20 minutes from the middle section and its not a half bad movie (compared to Phantom Menace which was bad throughout and Revenge of the Sith which had a lot of the most cringe worthy scenes from Star Wars as a whole).

ESB > ANH > RO > RotJ > TFA >>>>>>> AotC > RotS > TPM

User avatar
Jamo3103
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Manchester

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Jamo3103 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:35 pm

HSH28 wrote:I don't know how anyone can think any of the prequel movies are close to any of the other movies. That having been said I don't get the Attack of the Clones hate either, its got some properly good scenes in it, in fact snip out 20 minutes from the middle section and its not a half bad movie (compared to Phantom Menace which was bad throughout and Revenge of the Sith which had a lot of the most cringe worthy scenes from Star Wars as a whole).

ESB > ANH > RO > RotJ > TFA >>>>>>> AotC > RotS > TPM


The whole Anakin/Padme interaction, the dialogue, the Romance elements - by far my most detested part of the saga. That totally drags the whole movie down and I actually find it fairly uncomfortable to watch at points, it was clearly the films intent to flesh out the relationship between Obi Wan/Anakin and Anakin/Padmé but I hated the way it went about it, so forced and unbelievable.

It's a shame because I actually like the rest of the set-up of the film, the whole plot centred around Obi Wan and the clones / Jango works pretty well, the battle on Geonosis is a great spectacle and I loved the scene where Anakin loses it with the sand people (and the general connections to the original trilogy with them visiting Owen/Beru).

All three prequels have pretty massive flaws, I suppose your opinion on best/worse largely comes down to which of those flaws bother you most. I've said many times before though I think with fairly substantial editing they are better films, several of the fan edits where they reintroduce some of the deleted scenes (for example Anakin meeting Padmes family on Naboo) and remove other parts make for far better films. I would love to see an official 'special edition' prequel trilogy that edits them to fix some of their most glaring flaws.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story **Warning: Spoilers in thread**
by Brerlappin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:47 pm

I don't think anything could fix the prequel trilogy. They are bad films, full stop. If they didn't have the name Star Wars, they'd have been forgotten alongside shite like Eragon a long time ago. Not only are they riddled with bad acting, the writing is terrible to boot, TPM & AOTC are also just ridiculously boring. The overall design of the movies was just gooseberry fool. The vehicles, bad guys, etc, all look so strawberry floating crap. I've never seen RoTS just because watching the first two was a big enough waste of time.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests