Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Moggy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:47 am

We all remember the stupid rumours and urban legends that we heard as kids at school. A lot of them were gaming related (the cheat code for a naked Lara Croft, unlocking Akuma in Street Fighter 2) but there were also ones with a much more local flavour. What ones did you hear and did you fall for any of them?

I can remember a rumour going around the school that some bloke had predicted that the school was going to be blown up on a certain day, which just happened to be a couple of days after the rumour started. Kids were absolutely shitting themselves, the tension got so bad that an assembly was called to tell everyone that it was rubbish, the prediction was not true and that nothing was going to happen. That didn’t calm things down much, if anything it made kids think that the teachers were obviously hiding things. Once the day had passed with nothing happening, it was barely ever mentioned again. :lol:

One of the things I did fall for was a rumour that Guns n Roses were going to be in the Galleries in Bristol to give away free merchandise/CDs and meet people. A load of us planned to bunk off school to go along and get some free stuff. I actually put jeans and a t-shirt into my school bag that day so I could change out of uniform so the police wouldn’t know I was bunking off! We all gathered on the bus stop near school to get the bus into Bristol and then suddenly seemed to all realise that it was probably a bollocks story and that we would only get in trouble if we went. :lol:

Near my house there were some fields (known as the hilly fields, there were hills there ;) ) and the local legend was that a civil war battle was fought there. I have no idea if that is actually true, but that legend turned into the fields being haunted. If you went down there at night on the anniversary of the battle (I can’t remember what the date was supposed to be!) then you would see the ghosts coming out of the mist to fight again. This used to terrify me as a kid, I genuinely believed that thousands of ghosts would be fighting just behind the house. If only I had had Barry Dodds number back then….

User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by BID0 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:55 am

There was a locked door at my Secondary School. It had a toilet sign on the door but in my 5 years there that door was never unlocked/opened.

Rumour had it that a kid had a pen jammed up his nose and then face slammed down on a sink by another student which killed him and it was locked as a memorial to his death. I was talking to someone from the Secondary School on the other side of town and it turns out the same thing happened at their school too.

User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Cheeky Devlin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 am

Killer Clowns.

/thread

EDIT: To expand on this, there was reports of guys dressed as Clowns driving a white transit van around schools where they would kidnap you and take you away to kill you. It got so bad that there were actual letters circulated around the local schools assuring parents that it was bollocks.

But there was always someone who claimed to have seen them (As white transit vans were so rare :lol: ) or knew someone they'd chased. Great times.

EDIT: EDIT: Turns out they were blue vans.
https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/killer-clown ... t2739.html

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
User avatar
Dual
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Stool Bloke

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Dual » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am

The rival school were putting used hypodermic needles inside the seats of our local cinema.

strawberry floating scum.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Moggy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:21 am

Dual wrote:The rival school were putting used hypodermic needles inside the seats of our local cinema.

strawberry floating scum.


strawberry floating hell, that's a bit hardcore. :lol:

There always used to be rumours flying around my school that the rival school were going to come to our playing fields after school for a "rumble". It never happened, probably because the rival school was about 5 miles away. :lol:

User avatar
Tsunade
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Tsunade » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 am

There were rumours someone caught a teacher banging a student in a locked classroom at college... that one turned out to be true. She got suspended, he got fired. Everyone else got a letter saying that he'd been fired due to misconduct.

Image
Image
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Squinty » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:49 am

There was a place that we went on a break to in primary school that was reportedly haunted. It became a kind of tradition that each year 6 class would go there for a week away to learn about conservation and other educational stuff. It was one of those cross curriculum things to bring together kids from Catholic and Protestant backgrounds and promote a more positive future etc.

The first night, some of the kids in my year were shitting themselves about seeing the figure that was reportedly haunting the place. She was called the blue nun.

I did see something that I couldn't explain. We were up playing ping pong in one of the rooms and a door from a closet swung open and hit one of the kids in the back.

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Karl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:52 am

Squinty wrote:There was a place that we went on a break to in primary school that was reportedly haunted. It became a kind of tradition that each year 6 class would go there for a week away to learn about conservation and other educational stuff. It was one of those cross curriculum things to bring together kids from Catholic and Protestant backgrounds and promote a more positive future etc.

The first night, some of the kids in my year were shitting themselves about seeing the figure that was reportedly haunting the place. She was called the blue nun.

I did see something that I couldn't explain. We were up playing ping pong in one of the rooms and a door from a closet swung open and hit one of the kids in the back.

This reads like a Featured Haunting.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Moggy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:55 am

Karl wrote:
Squinty wrote:There was a place that we went on a break to in primary school that was reportedly haunted. It became a kind of tradition that each year 6 class would go there for a week away to learn about conservation and other educational stuff. It was one of those cross curriculum things to bring together kids from Catholic and Protestant backgrounds and promote a more positive future etc.

The first night, some of the kids in my year were shitting themselves about seeing the figure that was reportedly haunting the place. She was called the blue nun.

I did see something that I couldn't explain. We were up playing ping pong in one of the rooms and a door from a closet swung open and hit one of the kids in the back.

This reads like a Featured Haunting.


I wonder if they had played the elevator game just before going there?

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Karl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:58 am

Moggy wrote:
Karl wrote:
Squinty wrote:There was a place that we went on a break to in primary school that was reportedly haunted. It became a kind of tradition that each year 6 class would go there for a week away to learn about conservation and other educational stuff. It was one of those cross curriculum things to bring together kids from Catholic and Protestant backgrounds and promote a more positive future etc.

The first night, some of the kids in my year were shitting themselves about seeing the figure that was reportedly haunting the place. She was called the blue nun.

I did see something that I couldn't explain. We were up playing ping pong in one of the rooms and a door from a closet swung open and hit one of the kids in the back.

This reads like a Featured Haunting.

I wonder if they had played the elevator game just before going there?

Imagine if Squinty now reveals that his old primary's annual Y6 school trip is to Pontefract.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Moggy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:00 am

Karl wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Karl wrote:
Squinty wrote:There was a place that we went on a break to in primary school that was reportedly haunted. It became a kind of tradition that each year 6 class would go there for a week away to learn about conservation and other educational stuff. It was one of those cross curriculum things to bring together kids from Catholic and Protestant backgrounds and promote a more positive future etc.

The first night, some of the kids in my year were shitting themselves about seeing the figure that was reportedly haunting the place. She was called the blue nun.

I did see something that I couldn't explain. We were up playing ping pong in one of the rooms and a door from a closet swung open and hit one of the kids in the back.

This reads like a Featured Haunting.

I wonder if they had played the elevator game just before going there?

Imagine if Squinty now reveals that his old primary's annual Y6 school trip is to Pontefract.


And Derren Brown was one of his teachers.

User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Skarjo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:21 am

There was a rumour that one of our English teachers had a brass tit.

Swear to God, Parko's big brother in year 11 ran into it once and knocked himself out.

...

Like legit I have no idea how such a strawberry floating obviously stupid rumour spread so far.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Gemini73 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 am

When I was a kid there was a rumour that our head of English (Ms Pichetto) at my secondary school had a wooden dildo locked away in her desk drawer.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Rocsteady » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:31 am

Moggy wrote:
Dual wrote:The rival school were putting used hypodermic needles inside the seats of our local cinema.

strawberry floating scum.


strawberry floating hell, that's a bit hardcore. :lol:

There always used to be rumours flying around my school that the rival school were going to come to our playing fields after school for a "rumble". It never happened, probably because the rival school was about 5 miles away. :lol:

That used to happen all the time in my school, mainly because they were very close. Nothing beyond a few punches thrown happened though, all the proper chavs in my school were too busy dealing drugs and stabbing folk to worry about such trivialities.

We also had all the usual ones about teachers getting plowed in their cupboards by older students etc.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Moggy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:40 am

There was a crazy farmer near us who could barely look after himself, let alone the hundreds of sheep that he kept. The sheep would be forever escaping, it was a fun day at school when you looked out into the playground and could see a couple of sheep running around.

Anyway, the rumours about him were that he was crazy and he would kill anybody that came near his farmhouse. It was said that you could see the bones of his victims dotted around the house and if you saw them he would get you. We used to sneak up close to the house before losing our courage and running away as fast as we could.

Years later, when I was an adult, I found out that there were bones, but they were of the sheep. He was crazy because his wife and daughter had drowned years before. And he was actually a nice guy, when he died he left everything to a local lady who used to come and clean for him. She was about the only person in the world who ever bothered with him and she made a few million selling the land for development.

Moral of the story, befriend the crazy local guy who owns land, if he doesn’t kill you then he will make you rich.

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Rax » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:18 pm

There was a rumour one year that one of the teachers had got a boob job. She always wore jumpers and stuff at school but one summer she was on tv in the audience of a chat show and was wearing a dress with cleavage so the rumour started shed got em done.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Hyperion » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:20 pm

The Bloody Mary one swept through school when I was in Year 5. You had to stand in front of a mirror, spin round and say Bloody Mary three times. Kids were convinced they'd seen things and were crying and we had an assembly telling us it was nonsense and to stop it.
This made me want to try it, so I went to the toilets to try, and after my third spin the hand dryer went off. I'd obviously caught my arm underneath it when spinning, but I very nearly shat myself!

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by more heat than light » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Tsunade wrote:There were rumours someone caught a teacher banging a student in a locked classroom at college... that one turned out to be true. She got suspended, he got fired. Everyone else got a letter saying that he'd been fired due to misconduct.


This, only in our version the student in question was so distraught after him getting back together with his wife that she drove her car into a tree and killed herself. Also true. :-(

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Rik_
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by Rik_ » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 pm

There was a big field behind my primary school that we all got let out onto to play in the summer, at the far end there was a little wooded hollow that everyone was convinced was haunted by a ghost called the Black Hand (so called because all you ever saw of it was a black hand rushing towards your face to choke you). It was always the big kids who spread the rumour and said they'd seen it, it sort of became a tradition that the new year 6s would carry on the legend after the old ones went off to secondary. Thinking on it makes me a bit nostalgic, I hope that it's been carried on.

User avatar
abcd
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
AKA: abcd

PostRe: Rumours/Urban Legends that you heard as a kid
by abcd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:32 pm

There has been a rumour on this forum that has been floating around for years now....

Apparently we're nothing more than fictitious characters in Steve's head.

Steve has been in a coma for many years now. The new members that come and go and nothing more than junior doctors and nurses.

Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bunni, floydfreak, Garth, Grumpy David, Heskimo, Monkey Man, Ploiper, Red 5 stella, shy guy 64, Snowcannon, Yubel and 63 guests