[iup=3572489]Stugene[/iup] wrote:[iup=3572487]Lagamorph[/iup] wrote:Also, the simple fact of the matter is that Scotland takes more from the UK than it puts in, that has been demonstrated several times in this thread. Part of the revenues from Oil would have been needed just to balance that back out.Q: “But isn’t UK government spending higher per person in Scotland?”
A: Yes, it is. But Scotland pays for every penny of that spending and more besides. As the Financial Times article from February points out:
“Although Scotland enjoys public spending well above the UK average – a source of resentment among some in England, Wales and Northern Ireland – the cost to the Treasury is more than outweighed by oil and gas revenues from Scottish waters.”
On average, UK spending is around £1,200 higher per person in Scotland than in the UK as a whole. But on average Scotland sends £1,700 more per person to the UK in taxes. We only get back around 70% of the extra money we send to London. The other 30% is kept by Westminster and spent in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Q: “But doesn’t Scotland get more money spent on it than it generates in tax?”
A: Sort of. In 2011-12, for example, Scotland generated roughly £57bn in tax and had £64.5bn spent on it. But that extra spending isn’t a generous gift from the UK - it’s borrowing, taken out by the UK government in Scotland’s name. It’s not money from the rest of the UK, it’s money from international banks - it becomes part of the massive debt referred to above, and Scotland has to pay it back.
(And we have to pay it even if we didn’t need or want the things it was spent on - like nuclear weapons, the London Olympics and the HS2 railway from London to Birmingham, all of which Scotland pays billions of pounds towards because Westminster claims they’re for the benefit of the whole country.)
Thanks for playing.
And yet Scotland voted No.
Thanks for playing, Scotland.
Seems to me we can shut this thread and make a scottish politics thread. As the independence issue has been settled democratically.
The unwillingness to accept the result from some in here and that odious little gooseberry fool who wanted to be the scottish president is not going to go away.
Let's have a scottish politics thread as someone suggested. Then we can start debating the proposed devolving of powers.
The independence debate is over. Scotland said NO.