[DISCUSSION] Scottish Independence - It's a No!

Our best bits.

Should Scotland be an independent country?

YES (I am eligible to vote in the referendum)
30
16%
NO (I am eligible to vote in the referendum)
19
10%
YES (I will not be eligible)
30
16%
NO (I will not be eligible)
111
58%
 
Total votes: 190
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Moggy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Scotticus Erroticus wrote:Currency unions are perfectly normal.


Examples?

bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by bear » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:53 pm

Lucien wrote:The 'don't want to be run by gangsters' will probably swing it.

Is that a yes or a no then?

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Hexx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:11 pm

Moggy wrote:
Scotticus Erroticus wrote:Currency unions are perfectly normal.


Examples?


Israel and Palestine!

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Moggy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Hexx wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Scotticus Erroticus wrote:Currency unions are perfectly normal.


Examples?


Israel and Palestine!


:lol:

Just think, we could end up just like the the CFA Franc. ;)

User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Xeno » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm eagerly awaiting the announcement that Scotland is adopting Dogecoin as it's main currency.

Falsey wrote:
Xeno wrote:Chewing takes effort. What he needs is Emma Watson to chew his food then transfer it to him for him to swallow.

I dont know why, but that sounds strawberry floating incredible.

Wuijibobo wrote:You're a funny man Xeno. I like you... That's why I'm going to kill you last.
User avatar
TheTurnipKing
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by TheTurnipKing » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Generally speaking, I'm not in favor of complete independence.

But I strongly feel that I should vote for the opposite of whatever that twat David Cameron wants on general principle.

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Meep » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:21 pm

As far as I understand it, a sovereign entity can use whatever the strawberry float it likes as legal currency just by passing the law saying so. You make leafs legal tender by passing a law; you can certainly make a another country's currency legal tender and there is sod all they can do about it.

Ginga
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Ginga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:35 pm

It would definitely help the debate if we used facts rather than regurgitating propaganda from pro-Union rags...

The idea that "Scotland wouldn't survive" or that "keeping the same money" doesn't mean independence or that it's "a vote for Alex Salmond" are the sort of silly statements that you'd only use if you haven't the interest or time to delve into the discussion. By all means, vote 'No' but do it because you've considered all the information available and reached that conclusion by weighing up evidence. There's politicians who would have you believe that an independent Scotland would become a major target for terrorists or that leaving the Union would mean we'd never see another episode of Doctor Who. That's what we're dealing with.

User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Scotticus Erroticus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:51 pm

Moggy wrote:
Scotticus Erroticus wrote:Currency unions are perfectly normal.


Examples?


Do your own homework. Actually, do your homework before you make up your mind on an issue. Especially when you disagree with me, other than that you can do what you want.

ImageImage
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Hexx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Wow. YesMen get upperty when challenged. :lol:

Maybe you weren't paying attention - he actually gave you a whole list a few posts later. Which do you think is a particularly compelling model for what could/should happen?

User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Scotticus Erroticus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:04 pm

The formal proposal from the Scottish Government (supported by the Yes campaign), which has already started being negotiated and looked at in detail by the Bank of England and UK Government, which I said I was pleased about.

ImageImage
User avatar
Donk
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Donk

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Donk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Hexx wrote:Wow. YesMen get upperty when challenged. :lol:

Maybe you weren't paying attention - he actually gave you a whole list a few posts later. Which do you think is a particularly compelling model for what could/should happen?


It's because it doesn't fit into the emotional narrative of the nationalist approach. Facts are dirty Tory things made up by rich residents of London.

As for my view, I don't really care what Scotland do, they'll have to deal with the many consequences of such a move.

I am however disturbed by the massive gerrymandering occurring with regards to the eligibility to vote. Scots are found all over the UK, and those who are going to be in favour of the union are most likely to be found in larger numbers living outside of Scotland elsewhere in the UK.

User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Scotticus Erroticus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 pm

Donk wrote:
Hexx wrote:Wow. YesMen get upperty when challenged. :lol:

Maybe you weren't paying attention - he actually gave you a whole list a few posts later. Which do you think is a particularly compelling model for what could/should happen?


It's because it doesn't fit into the emotional narrative of the nationalist approach. Facts are dirty Tory things made up by rich residents of London.

As for my view, I don't really care what Scotland do, they'll have to deal with the many consequences of such a move.

I am however disturbed by the massive gerrymandering occurring with regards to the eligibility to vote. Scots are found all over the UK, and those who are going to be in favour of the union are most likely to be found in larger numbers living outside of Scotland elsewhere in the UK.


Even the Tories agree that Scotland would be a perfectly sustainable independent nation.

ImageImage
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Moggy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Scotticus Erroticus wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Scotticus Erroticus wrote:Currency unions are perfectly normal.


Examples?


Do your own homework. Actually, do your homework before you make up your mind on an issue. Especially when you disagree with me, other than that you can do what you want.


Sorry mate, the onus is on you to back up your claims. You say they are normal but are unable to supply anything to back that up. Fair enough, but don't make me out to be the one that hasn't done their "homework". :roll:

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Hexx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:10 pm

So your position is "because Salmond told you so"

Did you do any homework beyond reading the propaganda? Do you actually know what it entails? What the pros and cons of it are? Have you looked at other examples around the world that have/haven't worked.

You got awfully haughty to Moggy, but you've not really done much here yourself?

Quick Question - what negotiations have taken place?

Last edited by Hexx on Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Scotticus Erroticus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:14 pm

No, I haven't. I just do what I'm told by President Salmond, just like the rest of the Yes supporters. It's that simple.

:fp:

ImageImage
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Hexx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Scotticus Erroticus wrote:No, I haven't. I just do what I'm told by President Salmond, just like the rest of the Yes supporters. It's that simple.

:fp:


Well that's how it's looking. You were asked for examples, got arsey and told someone else to do their homework...

And when pushed...you..um..had none youself. (Page 109 of the document btw)

Litmus test!

Quick Question - what negotiations have taken place?

User avatar
Scotticus Erroticus
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Scotticus Erroticus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:19 pm

I'm just gonna' refuse to take part in this little scrap of yours, I've got nothing to prove to myself of my merit in making up my mind.

ImageImage
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Hexx » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:21 pm

Scotticus Erroticus wrote:I'm just gonna' refuse to take part in this little scrap of yours, I've got nothing to prove to myself of my merit in making up my mind.


Well no, of course you don't have to be able to answer.

But it might, you know, be a bit more convincing if you could. Especially if you want people to treat your position with any sort of respect rather than the emotionally compromised dittohead style it appears.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Scottish independence
by Moggy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Scotticus Erroticus wrote:I'm just gonna' refuse to take part in this little scrap of yours, I've got nothing to prove to myself of my merit in making up my mind.


You are more than welcome to make up your own mind. I have already said in this thread that I am not pro or anti independent Scotland, that's up to people living there.

But don't get pissy with people when they ask you to back up your claims. There is nothing wrong with people asking you for examples and evidence and you should not play the victim when somebody wants you to back yourself up.


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests