Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Saint of Killers » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 am

The nearest to that argument stance will be "You don't have to buy them" or, "You can gain them via traditional gameplay means". The counter to that is the fact, that, in all likelihood traditional ways of obtaining them will have been made more difficult to make the microtransaction seem more appealing.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Knoyleo » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:58 am

At the same time, it's there as a player choice. It's there, from my perspective, for people who are protective of their spare time and scared when a massive game comes along that they're not getting to see the full experience.

Translation: You can pay extra to skip the filler content.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Saint of Killers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

WB Clarifies Shadow of War Charity DLC, it will be free, WB IE will donate money


The Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC was created by the team at Monolith Productions to immortalize Michael Forgey, a dear friend and colleague, and to raise funds to help support his widow and children.

Specifically, we decided to sell the DLC worldwide and donate all profits from the DLC to the family. Although we decided to donate all profits to the family, we only planned to actively promote this donation in the U.S. (excluding certain states based on their charitable promotion laws). We hoped this approach would raise as much money as possible for the Forgey family in compliance with the law. Our decision not to promote the donation outside the U.S. (even though we intended to donate the money) caused many to question where funds from other territories were going. Answering that direct question itself could have triggered compliance obligations or put us in violation of cause marketing laws in some of the 241 territories in which the content was available.

Additionally, a factually incorrect tweet from our team exacerbated the confusion by stating that international funds would not be going to the family. For absolute clarity; our intention was always to give all profits from the DLC, worldwide to the Forgey family.

We now recognize that tying our donation to sales of the DLC was not the best way to achieve our goal of offering financial support to the family and creating a lasting memorial to Michael Forgey. We sincerely apologize to the fans and to the Forgey family for the confusion we created.

To ensure the two original aims are still met and to provide transparency to the community, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will instead make a donation directly to the Forgey family. The DLC will be withdrawn from sale and will be a free download for owners of Middle-earth: Shadow of War. Anyone who has purchased the DLC will receive a full refund. If there is interest in donating directly to the family, please visit their youcaring site: https://www.youcaring.com/michael-forgey-479259.

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Offici ... ead-id/663

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Gemini73 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:03 am

I'm still playing through the first game, although I only bought the GOTY Edition about a month back for a tenner via PSN.

I'll do the same with the sequel. I'm in no rush.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Tafdolphin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:09 am

Saint of Killers wrote:
WB Clarifies Shadow of War Charity DLC, it will be free, WB IE will donate money


The Forthog Orc-Slayer DLC was created by the team at Monolith Productions to immortalize Michael Forgey, a dear friend and colleague, and to raise funds to help support his widow and children.

Specifically, we decided to sell the DLC worldwide and donate all profits from the DLC to the family. Although we decided to donate all profits to the family, we only planned to actively promote this donation in the U.S. (excluding certain states based on their charitable promotion laws). We hoped this approach would raise as much money as possible for the Forgey family in compliance with the law. Our decision not to promote the donation outside the U.S. (even though we intended to donate the money) caused many to question where funds from other territories were going. Answering that direct question itself could have triggered compliance obligations or put us in violation of cause marketing laws in some of the 241 territories in which the content was available.

Additionally, a factually incorrect tweet from our team exacerbated the confusion by stating that international funds would not be going to the family. For absolute clarity; our intention was always to give all profits from the DLC, worldwide to the Forgey family.

We now recognize that tying our donation to sales of the DLC was not the best way to achieve our goal of offering financial support to the family and creating a lasting memorial to Michael Forgey. We sincerely apologize to the fans and to the Forgey family for the confusion we created.

To ensure the two original aims are still met and to provide transparency to the community, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment will instead make a donation directly to the Forgey family. The DLC will be withdrawn from sale and will be a free download for owners of Middle-earth: Shadow of War. Anyone who has purchased the DLC will receive a full refund. If there is interest in donating directly to the family, please visit their youcaring site: https://www.youcaring.com/michael-forgey-479259.

https://community.wbgames.com/t5/Offici ... ead-id/663


Caught in a strawberry floating trap. Colour me very suspicious of their original intent here, what with the fine print being confirmed by the team and all. Dodgy as strawberry float.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by jawafour » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am

Our decision not to promote the donation outside the U.S. (even though we intended to donate the money) caused many to question where funds from other territories were going. Answering that direct question itself could have triggered compliance obligations or put us in violation of cause marketing laws in some of the 241 territories in which the content was available.

I don’t know anything about promotional compliance law... but I would be surprised if it meant that you cannot tell customers whether their money is gong to a charity or not.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Trelliz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Image

Tragic Magic wrote:RTCW is a mega plex of origami, you young bugger, enjoy the taste.
Women are so lovely.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by BID0 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 pm

jawafour wrote:
Our decision not to promote the donation outside the U.S. (even though we intended to donate the money) caused many to question where funds from other territories were going. Answering that direct question itself could have triggered compliance obligations or put us in violation of cause marketing laws in some of the 241 territories in which the content was available.

I don’t know anything about promotional compliance law... but I would be surprised if it meant that you cannot tell customers whether their money is gong to a charity or not.

Yeh it's rubbish, back in 2009...

The Beatles: Rock Band's 'All You Need is Love' exclusive download on Xbox Live
During the Microsoft E3 briefing, it was revealed that Xbox 360 gamers who pick up Rock Band: The Beatles for that console will be able to download an exclusive song, "All You Need is Love," a "special version" of the track. No date was mentioned, though one can assume it will be available on day one. It was also announced that all proceeds for sales of the tune will go to Doctors Without Borders.

https://www.engadget.com/2009/06/01/the ... ve-downlo/

All proceeds was Microsoft's cut, as well as the publisher and developer's cuts.

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by jiggles » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Nicked from GAF, but reviews are out:

MetacriticOpenCritic


COGconnected – 94/100

Polygon - 7.5/10

Gameinformer - 9.5/10

Press-start - 8/10

PCGamer - 7.3/10

WCCFTech - 8.9/10

Criticalhit - 9/10

Gadgets 360 - 8/10

Pushsquare - 8/10

Gamesradar 4.5/5

Shacknews - 9/10

USGamer - 4/5

Gamespot - 7/10

IGN - 9/10


Eurogamer had this to say on the loot boxes:
Speaking of difficulty levels, it would be impossible to review Shadow of War without addressing the inclusion of loot boxes and microtransactions that caused such a stir just a couple of months ago. In essence, loot chests can be bought from the game's market using Mirian, an abundant (and free) in-game currency, or gold - which is given out in much smaller measures and can, crucially, be bought with real money. These chests give out gear, XP boosts, new followers and training orders (essentially follower upgrades) for you to put to use, improving your fortunes as you go about the game world. Given how freely the game gives you skill points, gear and orcs to turn into loyal soldiers, however, these chests are wholly unnecessary. If you need them in order to get by in Shadow of War, in fact, you are almost certainly playing on the wrong difficulty setting.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Photek » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Xmas winter sale purchase for me.

Image
User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Gamasutra‏ article on upgraded Nemesis system
by Xeno » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:01 pm

I won't be buying anything from WB at full price or even heavily discounted on release day. I will wait and pick it up in next years summer sale.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Saint of Killers » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

True ending is hidden behind grinding or lootboxes.

However, Shadow Wars is spoiled by two major issues.

First, it’s not just postgame content. While the main plot of Shadow of War wraps up in relatively tidy fashion before act four begins, Monolith has confirmed that there is a “true ending” hidden behind Shadow Wars. I love the idea of offering dozens of hours of grindy yet fun content for players who really adore this game to sink their teeth into. But that works better as an option rather than a looming obligation for completionists. Having the game’s real finale locked away behind those dozens of hours — hours that, while fun, are devoid of story missions, side quests, cutscenes or other distractions that help mix up the pace — is a disappointment.

When you run out of in-game money, you have two choices: Make a huge time investment by hunting down orcs in your game world and earning chests via vendetta missions, or spend some real money to get the more powerful orcs you need now. Does the game ever force you to spend money? No. I’m sure you can get to the end of Shadow Wars without spending a dime, as long as you’re patient and persistent. But locking progress through this mode (and, again, toward the game’s true ending) behind either spending more money or doing tons of tedious busywork feels at least greedy if not predatory.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/5/16428 ... war-review


In the game's actual final act, you cycle through the four fortresses you explored previously for a total of 20 more defending siege battles. If you haven't upgraded the Orcs you met early in the game--and up until this point, there was no reason to--you have to replace and upgrade your entire retinue of Orcs to match this more powerful invading force. The enemies you face level up with each encounter, so you're also forced into upgrading each castle over and over again, either by building up your current Orc army or finding new fighters and replacing the old. This Sisyphean quest has no corresponding significant characters to keep you company or explain why it's important to tackle the defense missions in the order you do. It's not even clear, exactly, why you want to do them at all.

More than once I felt like giving up on this quest thinking I'd stumbled onto some optional side content that was clearly only made for obsessed completionists. But enduring on, I found that finishing every stage unlocks the final cutscene and credits. It did not feel worth it.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/middle ... 0-6416783/


There's a false rumour going around that Legendary Orcs are only available via lootboxes. This is incorrect.

Now all you have to do is die. That sounds easier than it actually is because your objective is to be killed by a particular kind of Orc. You rarely encounter lone Orcs, so it's easy to accidentally have the wrong one make the killing blow. You can always try over though, so don't get discouraged if you end up with a dud.

Once the Orc of your choice kills you, it's in the hands of the Random Numbers Generator. First, there's a good chance the Orc that took you out will spawn as just a regular old Orc Captain. Secondly, if the Orc in promoted in a region with no empty spots for new Orcs, they'll duel someone for their place. This can either end up in your brand-new dream Orc being killed, or one of your other favorite Orcs in the region being murdered.

However, if everything goes right, and you've cleared out a spot in advance for your new Orc, you can get an Epic or Legendary Orc Captain to spawn precisely how you want them to be. This method is incredibly frustrating, but it's the only way to exert any influence over what kind of Orcs spawn.

http://www.gamesradar.com/middle-earth- ... rcs-guide/


So yeah, they're obtainable via regular gameplay, it's just that they're a bit of a pain to obtain. (Which shouldn't isn't really surprising what with their being rare.)

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Lagamorph » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:37 pm

So just like the true ending of Arkham Knight being hidden behind Riddler gooseberry fool.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Saint of Killers » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Riddler :x

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Moggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:42 am

I loved the first game but I will be waiting for a cheap GOTY edition of this one.

User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Brerlappin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:36 am

I will never buy a game that has padded its length with grinding that can be circumvented by microtransactions. That just means the developers absolutely know that what theyve put into the game isnt fun and therefore incentivise you to spend money to skip it. It means they dont respect you, or your time. Like, when was the last time you played a game you really enjoyed and thought "oh i wish i could spend 10 bucks to skip to the end." Who ever wished they could buy a loot box to skip The final warthog escape level of Halo 3? Who ever wanted to spend some space buckaroos to skip the final level of Half Life 2? strawberry floating no one, thats who. But these clowns know full well that theyve designed a repetitive, boring slog so that people will pay money to skip it to get to the ending. It nothing but cynical, money grubbing shite. Its not bad enough that the game is going to cost 60 bucks, now you want us to pay extra to skip over entire portions of the game we just paied money for? Why not just remove the grind, and charge $65 for the game instead of $60? At least that way wed get a game without all this loot box, grinding strawberry floating bullshit.

This and the shelob bullshit means i wont be touching this game more than likely ever. Shadow of Mordor was an ok game at best, nothing more than that. It was repetitive as strawberry float and i was bored of it after about 6 or 7 hours. If they are actively making the game even more repetitive and grindy than SOM was, then strawberry float this gooseberry fool, im out

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Preezy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 am

I shall pass on this one.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Lagamorph » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:45 am

Brerlappin wrote:I will never buy a game that has padded its length with grinding that can be circumvented by microtransactions. That just means the developers absolutely know that what theyve put into the game isnt fun and therefore incentivise you to spend money to skip it. It means they dont respect you, or your time. Like, when was the last time you played a game you really enjoyed and thought "oh i wish i could spend 10 bucks to skip to the end." Who ever wished they could buy a loot box to skip The final warthog escape level of Halo 3? Who ever wanted to spend some space buckaroos to skip the final level of Half Life 2? strawberry floating no one, thats who. But these clowns know full well that theyve designed a repetitive, boring slog so that people will pay money to skip it to get to the ending. It nothing but cynical, money grubbing shite. Its not bad enough that the game is going to cost 60 bucks, now you want us to pay extra to skip over entire portions of the game we just paied money for? Why not just remove the grind, and charge $65 for the game instead of $60? At least that way wed get a game without all this loot box, grinding strawberry floating bullshit.

This and the shelob bullshit means i wont be touching this game more than likely ever. Shadow of Mordor was an ok game at best, nothing more than that. It was repetitive as strawberry float and i was bored of it after about 6 or 7 hours. If they are actively making the game even more repetitive and grindy than SOM was, then strawberry float this gooseberry fool, im out

Jim Sterling is that you?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Brerlappin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Brerlappin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:52 am

Lagamorph wrote:
Brerlappin wrote:I will never buy a game that has padded its length with grinding that can be circumvented by microtransactions. That just means the developers absolutely know that what theyve put into the game isnt fun and therefore incentivise you to spend money to skip it. It means they dont respect you, or your time. Like, when was the last time you played a game you really enjoyed and thought "oh i wish i could spend 10 bucks to skip to the end." Who ever wished they could buy a loot box to skip The final warthog escape level of Halo 3? Who ever wanted to spend some space buckaroos to skip the final level of Half Life 2? strawberry floating no one, thats who. But these clowns know full well that theyve designed a repetitive, boring slog so that people will pay money to skip it to get to the ending. It nothing but cynical, money grubbing shite. Its not bad enough that the game is going to cost 60 bucks, now you want us to pay extra to skip over entire portions of the game we just paied money for? Why not just remove the grind, and charge $65 for the game instead of $60? At least that way wed get a game without all this loot box, grinding strawberry floating bullshit.

This and the shelob bullshit means i wont be touching this game more than likely ever. Shadow of Mordor was an ok game at best, nothing more than that. It was repetitive as strawberry float and i was bored of it after about 6 or 7 hours. If they are actively making the game even more repetitive and grindy than SOM was, then strawberry float this gooseberry fool, im out

Jim Sterling is that you?


No, just someone who despised the idea of a developer putting in a 40-50 hour grind just to sell microtransactions on top of a €69.99 game

As I may have played more of this than Johnny, a word of warning about the microtransactions: if you want to complete the endgame and see the *true* ending, be prepared to buy the XP boosts from the store while you're playing the campaign or face a 40-50 hour grind. I finished the story in about 15 hours (and agree that it's awful), and have been grinding for 8 hours a day for the past four days just to level up enough to finish the "Shadow of War" endgame content, and it is indescribably tedious.

Also combat's a hot mess. Every fight inevitably turns into a brawl which doesn't suit the "flowing combo" Arkham system -- if you've got 20 guys piled around you it's impossible to accurately hit a specific one and it gets frustrating as heck. The Orc monologuing during combat adds an extra level of aggravation: sure, it's great in theory and nice to get a bit of backstory for the guy you're about to marmalise to start with, but it grabs the camera, is unskippable, interrupts the flow of the battle, leaves you facing in a random direction with no idea what's going on, and sometimes you can get half a dozen of them in the space of a minute or so. I have had to pause the game and walk away from it a few times out of sheer frustration.


From the Eurogamer comments section

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Middle-earth: Shadow of War - PC, PS4, XB - Due OCT 10 - Has reviewed well.
by Lagamorph » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:36 am

Oh I definitely agree with you, I can't say I played the first game as I'm not a LotR fan but even I can see this is just blatant profiteering that's trying to cash in on the unexpected success of the previous game. You just seemed to be channeling the essence of Jim Sterling with that post :P

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Games”