Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Should England and other countries boycott the next World Cup?

Yay
27
79%
Nay
7
21%
 
Total votes: 34
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by DML » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:39 pm

[iup=3616442]Dblock[/iup] wrote:NEWS FLASH: English team is regarded as a joke team around the world.

Other countries are not going to throw away the chance to win it.

England will never ever win the world cup again . First time they won was bloody hilarious that people call it ''world cup'' :slol:


You ARE aware the Netherlands have never won it? Doofus. :lol:
Image
User avatar
Dblock
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Discovery
Contact:

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Dblock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:53 pm

[iup=3616446]DML[/iup] wrote:
[iup=3616442]Dblock[/iup] wrote:NEWS FLASH: English team is regarded as a joke team around the world.

Other countries are not going to throw away the chance to win it.

England will never ever win the world cup again . First time they won was bloody hilarious that people call it ''world cup'' :slol:


You ARE aware the Netherlands have never won it? Doofus. :lol:



Because they actually won a cup with good teams in it unlike England who were basically given the cup.

We won the euro when it had the toughest teams ever . France, Germany, Italy etc.
''Saying it's because I was controlling you and making you sad when actually I just asked you to wear some trousers'' :lol: :lol:
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by DML » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:00 pm

[iup=3616517]Dblock[/iup] wrote:
[iup=3616446]DML[/iup] wrote:
[iup=3616442]Dblock[/iup] wrote:NEWS FLASH: English team is regarded as a joke team around the world.

Other countries are not going to throw away the chance to win it.

England will never ever win the world cup again . First time they won was bloody hilarious that people call it ''world cup'' :slol:


You ARE aware the Netherlands have never won it? Doofus. :lol:



Because they actually won a cup with good teams in it unlike England who were basically given the cup.

We won the euro when it had the toughest teams ever . France, Germany, Italy etc.


SURE.....some of the greatest players ever to grace the game such as Eusebio, Franz Beckenbauer, Pele, Lev Yashin played at that World Cup. Yep, simply just gifted it! :lol: :fp:

How many teams were at Euro 88? Just eight. :lol: :fp:

None of these actually of course addresses the situation regards FIFA because DBlock yet again spectacularly misses the point because he has an IQ not much higher than a glass of water. Even if DR Congo pulled out of FIFA and stated it was for reasons of corruption - it would STILL make headlines.
Image
User avatar
PsychicSykes
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Sykes Stadium

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by PsychicSykes » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:13 pm

I don't think England boycotting the World Cup would make much difference to FIFA. The World Cup is a big enough cultural and financial event that any team pulling out would probably have little to no effect on proceedings continuing. There's often big names who fail to make it to the tournament and people are happy to watch regardless. Given the disdain of The FA and English reporters by FIFA's higher-ups, I could see the most likely scenario being a circling of the wagons and English football being ostracised, leading to more negative consequences.

Any sort of boycott would only work if the majority of big players on the world stage joined in, so you'd need the majority of Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil etc to jump on board and I doubt that'll happen.
User avatar
Hawky
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Hawky » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:18 pm

DBlock :lol:

FE the FBI investigation has been ongoing for years and whilst they obviously don't have direct jurisdiction over a Swiss organisation they can still ban Fifa from operating in the USA and prevent American companies from entering into a business relationship (e.g. sponsoring) them, which would obviously be a huge deal, and whilst they couldn't extradite anyone from Switzerland to charge them there are plenty of countries who would which Fifa members would no longer be able to go to.

The German and Dutch FAs have both at least publicly hinted towards the idea of moving away from Fifa and if England were the ones to lead by example it may be the catalyst for the others to follow suit.
User avatar
Fries. Wedges. Crisps?
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Fries. Wedges. Crisps? » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Boycott no.

Stage our own World Cup yes.

Hold it in Turkey, they've been turned down so many times by the major international sports bodies that they'd definitely be game.

If we get a couple of other major nations that are pissed off (Germany, USA) then it'd add some credibility. Suddenly other nations might think about getting in board - saying it's for the political reasons (and fair enough) but we're also giving them a sporting incentive
Coreopsis
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Coreopsis » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:29 pm

The word is that Germany are utterly sick of FIFA too. It would need a number of European countries to do it at the same time though - but would the likes of Spain get involved?

It's not set in stone that international football must forever be aligned with this 4-yearly tournament ran by a corrupt organisation that answers to no-one.

What the hell, tear it all up.
User avatar
PCCD
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by PCCD » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:02 pm

Even if it was all above board do we really want be giving major sporting events to the likes of Russia?
The Holly and Delusi wrote:PENALTY: Blatant lies. Five minutes in the Sin Bin.
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Lucien » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:46 am

It's so strawberry floating sad people say "This is all corrupt" in the same breath as "... but we need the money and what would we achieve?" Boycott it with some self respect, FFS.

[iup=3616904]PCCD[/iup] wrote:Even if it was all above board do we really want be giving major sporting events to the likes of Russia?


You could say this about any country. The war mongering US or UK, human rights abuses in China, a homophobic African or South American country, etc etc etc. Every country is gooseberry fool, some are just shitter than others.
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Karl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:16 pm

[iup=3616973]Lucien[/iup] wrote:Every country is gooseberry fool, some are just shitter than others.


Agreed. And Russia and Qatar are much, much shitter than the UK and the US.
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Lucien » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:14 pm

[iup=3617099]Karl[/iup] wrote:
[iup=3616973]Lucien[/iup] wrote:Every country is gooseberry fool, some are just shitter than others.


Agreed. And Russia and Qatar are much, much shitter than the UK and the US.


I'm not going to defend Qatar, but I don't think Russia is worse, certainly not much worse, than America.

Even if we listed all the nations down in an order, though, I don't think the bottom half of that table would be content if they were told something like: "We'll play football with you, but we won't let you host an event because we don't think you're a good enough country."

I'm not trying to really defend anyone though - I wouldn't play football with say, North Korea no matter what.
Last edited by Lucien on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Tomous » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:28 pm

I think the problem with Russia is it has some very real problems in the football world-namely, hooliganism and racism.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Corazon de Leon » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:02 pm

[iup=3617435]Lucien[/iup] wrote:
[iup=3617099]Karl[/iup] wrote:
[iup=3616973]Lucien[/iup] wrote:Every country is gooseberry fool, some are just shitter than others.


Agreed. And Russia and Qatar are much, much shitter than the UK and the US.


I'm not going to defend Qatar, but I don't think Russia is worse, certainly not much worse, than America.

Even if we listed all the nations down in an order, though, I don't think the bottom half of that table would be content if they were told something like: "We'll play football with you, but we won't let you host an event because we don't think you're a good enough country."

I'm not trying to really defend anyone though - I wouldn't play football with say, North Korea no matter what.


It's not a question of who is the worst country, it's a question of whether or not they cheated in order to be allowed to host the event. And it's pretty much accepted that both countries probably did, at this point. :shifty:
Image Image
User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Lucien » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:10 pm

Sure: PCCD questioned Russia getting it even if it was all above board, though.
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Rubix » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:36 pm

Hard one but without England in the WC my summer is over!
Playing: Wipeout (PS4), Witcher 3 [Blood and Wine] (PS4) Hitman (PS4) YS Origin (Vita)
Watching: Buffy S4, GOT S7 :wub: Glow S1
Reading: Freakonomics 69/315, Beren and Lúthien - 25/288
The RPG Thread | Top Gear | Star Wars
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Saint of Killers » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Neither Russia nor Qatar should get to host a WC due to their official attitude toward anyone that isn't heterosexual.
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Moggy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 pm

[iup=3618049]Rubix[/iup] wrote:Hard one but without England in the WC my summer is over!


You only celebrate summer once every 4 years?
User avatar
Fries. Wedges. Crisps?
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Fries. Wedges. Crisps? » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:41 am

[iup=3618086]Moggy[/iup] wrote:
[iup=3618049]Rubix[/iup] wrote:Hard one but without England in the WC my summer is over!


You only celebrate summer once every 4 years?


Image
User avatar
captain red dog
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol, UK

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by captain red dog » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:09 am

UEFA should boycott it. England doing it alone is a waste of time as in footballing terms we are a nothing nation. It would be like Yeovil boycotting the FA Cup.
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Should England/The FA boycott the World Cup?
by Saint of Killers » Wed May 27, 2015 11:43 am

Fatal Exception wrote:What jurisdiction does the FBI have over FIFA? Why do they care about sports? :lol:


:toot:
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Return to “Stuff”