Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Moggy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:46 pm

Mafro wrote:I wouldn't even consider paying for a football package in this day an age until they get rid of the bullshit 3pm blackout rule.


The 3pm thing really needs to go.

In fact the whole of televised football needs to be looked at and changed to reflect the modern era. Every single game should be made available to UK audiences, it's crazy that other countries can show every game but the UK faces restrictions on what games can and can't be watched.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by KK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Apparently BT customers will only have access to Main Event and 1 other additional TBA channel in HD (replacing 1 and 2) for £22/£27.
Image
User avatar
KingK
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by KingK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

strawberry float that. Will stick being a Now TV customer for live sports I want or maybe move to Virgin.

Only spoke to my missus last week about ditching our current BT broadband & phone, plus basic Sky package for a top level Virgin package with all Sky Sports thrown in. Would save £10-£15 per month. We have very cheap NowTV Movies (£1.99/mth) & Entertainment (£1.39/mth) packages for next 2 mths anyway, plus became Amazon Prime members last week too so got loads to watch on there too.
Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Saint of Killers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Does each channel we drop lower the price?
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by KK » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:Does each channel we drop lower the price?

Only when you drop it down to 3 channels.

There are 10 channels in total (£27.50). Mix however is included for all Sky customers, whether they have Sports or not. Sky Sports News is included for everyone with any Sky Sports channel. Main Event is exclusive for everyone who owns the full sports package (unless you're with BT, in which case it's the main channel) but simply simulcasts the premier content of what is airing on 1 of the other Sky Sports channels at any given moment. Arena and Action may be one package or separate entities. So basically you have 6 major channels, and to pay £1.50 less than the £27.50 you would have to remove 3 Sky Sports channels (so for example Golf, Cricket and F1). Remove 4 and you'd drop it to £22. £18 is for one channel only of your choice. So if you are interested in multiple sports, the full package is still realistically the only way to go.
Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Saint of Killers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:26 pm

KK wrote:
Saint of Killers wrote:Does each channel we drop lower the price?

Only when you drop it down to 3 channels.

There are 10 channels in total (£27.50). Mix however is included for all Sky customers, whether they have Sports or not. Sky Sports News is included for everyone with any Sky Sports channel. Main Event is exclusive for everyone who owns the full sports package (unless you're with BT, in which case it's the main channel) but simply simulcasts the premier content of what is airing on 1 of the other Sky Sports channels at any given moment. Arena and Action may be one package or separate entities. So basically you have 6 major channels, and to pay £1.50 less than the £27.50 you would have to remove 3 Sky Sports channels (so for example Golf, Cricket and F1). Remove 4 and you'd drop it to £22. £18 is for one channel only of your choice. So if you are interested in multiple sports, the full package is still realistically the only way to go.


As I feared.

Ta KK.
| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Hime » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Moggy wrote:
Mafro wrote:I wouldn't even consider paying for a football package in this day an age until they get rid of the bullshit 3pm blackout rule.


The 3pm thing really needs to go.

In fact the whole of televised football needs to be looked at and changed to reflect the modern era. Every single game should be made available to UK audiences, it's crazy that other countries can show every game but the UK faces restrictions on what games can and can't be watched.

It's especially crazy when you end up with 4 games on a Saturday lunch time because everything has been spread around the weekend to be shown on TV.
Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Lagamorph » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:22 pm

Isn't the 3pm rule something that comes from the Premier League rather than Sky or BT?
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by still » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Sky! Lol!
No.
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Tomous » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Isn't the 3pm rule something that comes from the Premier League rather than Sky or BT?


It's a FA, PL and Football League rule.

Sky and BT would absolutely love to be able to show 3pm games.

Abolishing the rule will be the next step in the TV money jumping up even more as the PL will be able to sell even more games.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Lagamorph » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:32 pm

I thought the meaning behind it was because Football Clubs are paranoid it will lead to reduced attendance at the actual matches.

For football fans the worst part is that all of these matches are being filmed live by TV cameras anyway even if the match isn't being broadcast by anyone, so that various places like betting sites can get the raw footage as up to the second as possible or highlights can be shown later on.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Tomous » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Lagamorph wrote:I thought the meaning behind it was because Football Clubs are paranoid it will lead to reduced attendance at the actual matches.


Yes, this was the logic when they decided to make the rule in the 60s.

I have no idea why it hasn't been revisited yet. Especially as the PL could massively increase their package value.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Lagamorph » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Tomous wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I thought the meaning behind it was because Football Clubs are paranoid it will lead to reduced attendance at the actual matches.


Yes, this was the logic when they decided to make the rule in the 60s.

I have no idea why it hasn't been revisited yet. Especially as the PL could massively increase their package value.

Probably pressure from the clubs themselves since ticket prices are utterly ridiculous and something they can control themselves on a whim, so a full stadium will make them a hell of a lot more than a cut of the TV rights.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Tomous » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:44 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I thought the meaning behind it was because Football Clubs are paranoid it will lead to reduced attendance at the actual matches.


Yes, this was the logic when they decided to make the rule in the 60s.

I have no idea why it hasn't been revisited yet. Especially as the PL could massively increase their package value.

Probably pressure from the clubs themselves since ticket prices are utterly ridiculous and something they can control themselves on a whim, so a full stadium will make them a hell of a lot more than a cut of the TV rights.


I doubt PL clubs would object. They make the majority of their income from TV money rather than ticket sales.
bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by bear » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 pm

The base package price is too expensive. If it was starting at £10 and working up to £27.50 there might be some value but that offering isn't good enough.

Not sure about seperate channels for Premier League and other football either. Just bundle them together as two football channels and give themselves the option to show two non EPL games at the same time.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by KK » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:48 am

Sky customers will be able to switch their subscription around and change or remove 1 channel every month (31 days)...which makes sense, because at various points of the year they're going to be empty (F1, Premier League and Golf especially).

BT have removed the article, but apparently Sky are bringing back Sports Xtra exclusively for BT customers, which will feature overspill content (so I'm guessing like on the final day of the Premier League when there are multiple games airing). In some areas BT customers will find themselves with more varied content they never got before (such as WWE and more Live programming), but they're now totally at the mercy of the Sky schedulers. 1 day you might get something but then be unable to continue watching it the following day if another sport takes precedence (such as the Premier League).
Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Grumpy David » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:55 am

This Duopoly between Sky and BT is so much worse than the Monopoly Sky used to have.
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Poser » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:57 am

Tomous wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I thought the meaning behind it was because Football Clubs are paranoid it will lead to reduced attendance at the actual matches.


Yes, this was the logic when they decided to make the rule in the 60s.

I have no idea why it hasn't been revisited yet. Especially as the PL could massively increase their package value.

Probably pressure from the clubs themselves since ticket prices are utterly ridiculous and something they can control themselves on a whim, so a full stadium will make them a hell of a lot more than a cut of the TV rights.


I doubt PL clubs would object. They make the majority of their income from TV money rather than ticket sales.


Yeah, the general consensus is that it would damage lower league clubs. So they'd just need to make sure the additional money was distributed more evenly/fairly.
Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Moggy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:02 pm

Grumpy David wrote:This Duopoly between Sky and BT is so much worse than the Monopoly Sky used to have.


Are you saying that competition in the free market is bad for consumers. ;)

I actually agree with you though, giving sport to Setanta/ESPN/BT made everything worse.
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Sky relaunch Sky Sports with new packages starting from £18
by Rax » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 pm

I think cases like this are one instance where monopolies are good for the consumer. Having a sport split across 2 different companies only means the consumer needs 2 subscriptions, then the companies involved dont actually have to complete on who provides a better product, just who can pay the most cash now and bleed the viewer dry later. A much better and more consumer friendly way of doing it would be to make the rights available to anyone for a fixed fee (or auction it off and then anyone can choose to match and get the same rights). This means Sky BT, and potentially others, can show the same games and then they compete on price and product so the consumer actually has a choice, not the illusion of choice.

This will never happen as the parties involved, the media companies and the sports leagues, just want as much money as they can. Exclusivity and rights auctions maximise the profits for these companies.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Benzin, Cuttooth, Errkal, Finish.Last, Frank, Google [Bot], GrinWithoutaKat, Karl, KjGarly, Oblomov Boblomov, Peter Crisp, Poser, Preezy, Skippy, Yahoo [Bot], Zaichik and 48 guests