Sonic Mania Plus - PS4/Xbox One/Switch/PC - 17th July | New DLC - £3.99

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: San Junipero

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Fade » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:You're supposed to keep your distance and jump in from the side. The oil is not to be trifled with.

But it sinks the two platforms closest to the boss...

Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:41 pm

Fade wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:You're supposed to keep your distance and jump in from the side. The oil is not to be trifled with.

But it sinks the two platforms closest to the boss...


Then jump over as soon as it appears and jump about when you're in the oil to avoid sinking and dying. It's not an easy boss, but it's quite doable. If you have an elemental shield you should be okay.

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Johnny Ryall » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:06 pm

Attack it from the side, not underneath. Also take your time, hit and run.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Ad7 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Gotta got gud

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Lagamorph » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:10 pm

strawberry floats sake.
Just heard that people who pre-ordered Mania on Steam aren't getting refunds because they were gifted a free copy of Sonic 1 due to the delay, and that gift is acting as the trigger for the 2 week refund and it was gifted more than 2 weeks ago now.

Going to try refunding when I get home from work as I didn't even know about the free gift, probably because I already have Sonic 1.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by lex-man » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 pm

I'm still not really enjoying this. I just beat metal sonic but I just finding the whole game a bit dull.

User avatar
Dangerblade
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Dangerblade » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 pm

So this is pretty good. Popped hard for the Studiopolis boss

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Jazzem » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:37 pm

Started to get super into time trialling on this, even watching videos for optimal runs and everything! As much as I desperately hope they add friend leaderboards down the line, it is still satisfying to climb the global rankings. Pro tip: Do any of the later Knuckles+Tails trials well enough and you'll likely crack the top 100.

So grateful for the instant restart button too, such an appreciated time saving feature

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Jenuall » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Alvin Flummux wrote:
Fade wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:You're supposed to keep your distance and jump in from the side. The oil is not to be trifled with.

But it sinks the two platforms closest to the boss...


Then jump over as soon as it appears and jump about when you're in the oil to avoid sinking and dying. It's not an easy boss, but it's quite doable. If you have an elemental shield you should be okay.


Just completed Oil Ocean for the first time - I would say that it is an easy boss (certainly compared to the original from Sonic 2). Just hide under the platforms until the lasers have stopped, hit the tentacles guns as they rise and then hit Eggman a few times.

That would be one of my few complaints about this - there isn't really enough challenge here for anyone who is familiar with the Mega Drive games, which is more of a problem given that's who the biggest audience is.

Either way I'm loving my time with Mania, it's the game we should have got from the 32X/Saturn era.

ImageImage
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by lex-man » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:12 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:
Fade wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:You're supposed to keep your distance and jump in from the side. The oil is not to be trifled with.

But it sinks the two platforms closest to the boss...


Then jump over as soon as it appears and jump about when you're in the oil to avoid sinking and dying. It's not an easy boss, but it's quite doable. If you have an elemental shield you should be okay.


Just completed Oil Ocean for the first time - I would say that it is an easy boss (certainly compared to the original from Sonic 2). Just hide under the platforms until the lasers have stopped, hit the tentacles guns as they rise and then hit Eggman a few times.

That would be one of my few complaints about this - there isn't really enough challenge here for anyone who is familiar with the Mega Drive games, which is more of a problem given that's who the biggest audience is.

Either way I'm loving my time with Mania, it's the game we should have got from the 32X/Saturn era.


I've just beaten the oil ocean boss. He was just a souped up version of the mega drive boss. Actually started to have more fun with the game. Really enjoyed the western themed level and oil ocean. Started to get into the Sonic 3 bonus levels as well.

User avatar
KjGarly
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: TheArbiter
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by KjGarly » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Well the PC version is out there on the high-seas.

Image Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by lex-man » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:24 pm

KjGarly wrote:Well the PC version is out there on the high-seas.


Does that mean that people who have legally bought it can have the DRM patched out now?

It doesn't really matter I've finished it. Although there is a lot more to do, I don't think I'll bother.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:35 pm

I think I've pretty much exhausted my interest in this game now. I've got 100% complete saves with all the characters, seen most of each zone, listened to a good portion of the soundtrack. It's fantastic, a joy to play and the best possible successor that the 16-bit Sonics could have, but I've got other games to play. I'm sure I'll come back to it eventually anyway. I'd quite like to give Knuckles another run at some point, actually.

Also, apparently, there may be a patch incoming that sets the Super transformation to a particular button, so you don't have to go Super if you hit the jump button mid-jump. For those of us who do want to hear the incessant Super music all through out games, this is a good thing.

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Lagamorph » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 pm

The Giant Rings to enter the Chaos Emerald Special zones seem way better hidden than in Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Jenuall » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:33 pm

Lagamorph wrote:The Giant Rings to enter the Chaos Emerald Special zones seem way better hidden than in Sonic 3 & Knuckles


I was thinking this as well. I did alright at first - found one or two in most of the opening zones but in the later levels they seem really elusive.

But then again I've played S3&K so many times that I've probable forgotten how difficult they may have been to locate originally!

After initially finding the special stages a bit too floaty and hard to control I seem to have really settled into a rhythm on them now and find it very satisfying to catch up with that pesky UFO!

ImageImage
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:40 pm

I like how the special stages feel like a combination of Sonic CD's special stages and Sonic R's racing.

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Johnny Ryall » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:51 pm

I got all the emeralds last night. Need to set aside a half hour to do that proper ending

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Alvin Flummux » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:55 pm

It's not a great ending, TBH. It's barely longer than the regular one.

Fetch me old brown trousers, bring them to me now, I'll wear them in the rigging as they fire across the bow. Fetch me old brown trousers, I fear we may be hit, for even if they shoot me now, they'll never see me... ;)
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Johnny Ryall » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:58 pm

I've already seen it. But it has to be done.

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Sonic Mania - PS4/Xbox One/Switch - OUT NOW! | PC - 29th August.
by Jazzem » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Worth it for the amazing true final boss music :toot:


Return to “Games”