Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Poser » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:54 pm

It would completely make sense. There's no way the MS Scorpio reveal will have been a complete surprise to Sony, and, as Hugo says, it would have undermined an otherwise very well-received conference to discuss the Neo (in its current proposed spec.)


Either way, I certainly won't be rushing into any new hardware purchase for a while. There's clearly plenty of stuff coming out on the PS4 for the next 18-24 months, so I'm going to sit back, enjoy the games and see how things pan out.

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Death's Head » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:06 pm

HSH28 wrote:I'd imagine they start putting together what's going to be at the E3 conference months in advance. My thought is that they originally planned to end on Neo, but a few weeks ago heard exactly what the Scorpio was going to be and so decided against ending on what would be a bit of a downer for them. Obviously getting that information out in advance of Scorpio going public mitigated any embarrassment that might have caused them.

Like I said, just a theory.


Surely the Neo would just be competing with the "S"? I still think MS made a very odd decision to announce a console that isn't expected to be out until Christmas 2017. Almost like a game of bluff and double bluff is going on.

Yes?
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by KK » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:59 pm

Considering how good the Crash Bandicoot titles still look today (presumably because the PSone only had to deal with a narrow corridor of gameplay they've held up extremely well), I'm expecting something astonishing for PS4.

They should have gone the whole hog and thrown in Kart and the 2002 PS2 version - which was murdered by some of the worst, most frustrating loading times ever...presumably because it was one of the last PS2 games to come on a CD-ROM. The sounds it produced from the disc drive... :dread:

Image
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by HSH28 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:03 pm

Death's Head wrote:Surely the Neo would just be competing with the "S"? I still think MS made a very odd decision to announce a console that isn't expected to be out until Christmas 2017. Almost like a game of bluff and double bluff is going on.


The S isn't really an upgrade to the Xbox One's power, it basically just has the extra media functions. Neo is a definite upgrade.

As for why MS announced Scorpio now, they say its so devs can plan for it, which makes a certain amount of sense. Now MS have gone out and announced publically what it is and when its coming any developers making games can plan for that and make sure they have a version ready to take advantage when it comes out.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Death's Head » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:49 pm

HSH28 wrote:
Death's Head wrote:Surely the Neo would just be competing with the "S"? I still think MS made a very odd decision to announce a console that isn't expected to be out until Christmas 2017. Almost like a game of bluff and double bluff is going on.


The S isn't really an upgrade to the Xbox One's power, it basically just has the extra media functions. Neo is a definite upgrade.

As for why MS announced Scorpio now, they say its so devs can plan for it, which makes a certain amount of sense. Now MS have gone out and announced publically what it is and when its coming any developers making games can plan for that and make sure they have a version ready to take advantage when it comes out.

I've read the S has extra graphic features etc and for 4K playback there is clearly some kind of hardware increase. MS didn't need to announce the Scorpio here, surely the norm is to give to developers along with an NDA to make sure games come out in time. Announcing now is more of a PR thing, we will have VR too.

Yes?
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by HSH28 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:55 pm

Death's Head wrote:I've read the S has extra graphic features etc and for 4K playback there is clearly some kind of hardware increase. MS didn't need to announce the Scorpio here, surely the norm is to give to developers along with an NDA to make sure games come out in time. Announcing now is more of a PR thing, we will have VR too.


The S has HDR support, but the 4K playback although obviously requiring some kind of new hardware (in terms of a drive and output capability) doesn't seem to have any core changes to its SoC in the way that the Neo and Scorpio are going to have.

The S is the same console with some additional bits, both the Neo and Scorpio have a completely new CPU/GPU component (as well as memory and other bits), just that the upgrade to the Xbox One is even more significant.

As for why MS announced, that's what they said. Clearly there is some PR involved as well, but I don't think its a bad thing for them to get into people's heads early that there is a new (Xbox One compatible) machine coming late next year either.

Last edited by HSH28 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Garth » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:38 pm

HSH28 wrote:As for why MS announced Scorpio now, they say its so devs can plan for it, which makes a certain amount of sense. Now MS have gone out and announced publically what it is and when its coming any developers making games can plan for that and make sure they have a version ready to take advantage when it comes out.

Makes even more sense if it's true that devs were annoyed about having little warning and time to prepare for the Neo:

Image
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Death's Head » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:32 pm

Garth wrote:
HSH28 wrote:As for why MS announced Scorpio now, they say its so devs can plan for it, which makes a certain amount of sense. Now MS have gone out and announced publically what it is and when its coming any developers making games can plan for that and make sure they have a version ready to take advantage when it comes out.

Makes even more sense if it's true that devs were annoyed about having little warning and time to prepare for the Neo:

But you don't announce it here, you do it privately. You are telling consumers we have a new console out in a couple of months. We also have a new console out late next year, but please buy our new one in a couple of months whilst you wait for a more powerful console that will offer VR.

Yes?
HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by HSH28 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:41 pm

Death's Head wrote:But you don't announce it here, you do it privately. You are telling consumers we have a new console out in a couple of months. We also have a new console out late next year, but please buy our new one in a couple of months whilst you wait for a more powerful console that will offer VR.


No, what's actually happening is that they are saying that they are going to cater to all different types of gamers.

The S is for people who haven't bought an Xbox One offering some 4k Media compatibility as well as HDR at a gateway price.

The Scorpio is for high end gamers who don't want a PC but are willing to shed out more money (as well as being the most powerful console on the market, expect it to be the most expensive).

Both will exist alongside one another quite nicely I think.

Anyway this conversation really should be in the MS topic, not this one.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Death's Head » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:45 pm

HSH28 wrote:The S has HDR support, but the 4K playback although obviously requiring some kind of new hardware (in terms of a drive and output capability) doesn't seem to have any core changes to its SoC in the way that the Neo and Scorpio are going to have.



Does this from the Xbox One S topic (posted by SOK) not suggest other changes? How else would it get additional raw GPU and CPU power?

Polygon wrote:Gears of War 4 will perform better on the Xbox One S than it does on the Xbox One that released in 2013.

While Microsoft was quick to tout 4K video support and upscaling for the new version of the Xbox One announced at this year's E3 and available in August, the company also announced support for high dynamic range color on the console. While that in and of itself will provide subtle visual improvements to Gears of War 4 — The Coalition studio head Rod Fergusson talks in particular about improved surface detail on things like metal and armor — it will also provide a more consistent level of technical performance as well, Fergusson told Polygon in an interview following Microsoft's press briefing today.




Gears of War 4 employs a dynamic resolution system that tweaks the game's rendering resolution in both single-player and multiplayer to maintain its target frame rate in each mode (30 frames per second and 60 fps, respectively). According to Fergusson, the Xbox One S has additional raw GPU and CPU power compared to the Xbox One, and The Coalition's engineers have been able to take advantage of that to reduce the frequency of frame rate or resolution penalties in more demanding sections of the game.

Last edited by Death's Head on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Death's Head » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:47 pm

HSH28 wrote:Both will exist alongside one another quite nicely I think.



This may be what you and MS PR think, but prospective punters will be thinking they should wait until the better console is released unless they have cash to buy one now and another in 18 months time if they want VR.

Yes?
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Garth » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:50 pm

It would've leaked anyway, right? (well, it kinda did already) So really, may as well just announce it.

I think they can appeal to two different parts of the market with these two consoles - not everyone is going to be ready invest in 4K and VR, but some of their hardcore following will lap it up. They've got new hardware releases going into the next two Christmases now, which I reckon will bring in big monies for them.

Image
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by smurphy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 pm

It's unbelievable how homogeneous some areas of AAA gaming have become, and Sony's show really illustrated it well. God of War, Days Gone and Zero Dawn are nigh indistinguishable at first glance. Then there's Call of Duty, which can strawberry float off.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Garth » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:25 pm

They've certainly got the 3rd person action adventure genre covered pretty well.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - Live from 2am
by Saint of Killers » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Captain Kinopio wrote:I'm wondering if the visuals for all these demoed games are running on the new PS4 they look too good for the current machine.



| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Peter Crisp » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:41 am

I didn't want to make a new topic for this so I thought I'd ask here.

When do people expect the PSNeo to be announced and released?

Maybe Gamescom in august for the announce with release a few month later?

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by smurphy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 am

Is the PS4 Neo going to have exclusive non-VR games on it? Cause that would really annoy me.

User avatar
chalkitdown
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cork

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by chalkitdown » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:00 am

Next E3 for the announcement and November 2017 release.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - All over, summary in OP
by Peter Crisp » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:05 am

smurphy wrote:Is the PS4 Neo going to have exclusive non-VR games on it? Cause that would really annoy me.


I don't think so but it has been reported that all games must have a Neo option from october so I don't agree with Chalky.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Sony E3 Conference 2016 - Live from 2am
by Alvin Flummux » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:43 am

Saint of Killers wrote:
Captain Kinopio wrote:I'm wondering if the visuals for all these demoed games are running on the new PS4 they look too good for the current machine.





Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Heskimo, KjGarly, Mafro, PaperMacheMario, Photek, Preezy, Qikz, Red 5 stella, romeo G. Detlev Jr. and 55 guests