Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by Moggy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:12 pm

Octoroc wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Octoroc wrote:Just watched the open world demo.

Fan service aside does this really bring anything to the table that we haven't seen in inFamous, Batman: Arkham whatever, Assassin's Creed, Shadow of Mordor etc. ?


Webs.


It's not the most convincing unique selling-point. What were they thinking?


:lol:

I am not sure it needs to bring anything more to the table than the other games mentioned. It has a popular character and as long as it gets the gameplay mechanics right and has a half decent story, why does it need to be a vastly different experience to other third person games?

It’s like asking why the Forza games exist when we already had Ridge Racer, Micro Machines and Gran Turismo.

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by Octoroc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Moggy wrote:why does it need to be a vastly different experience to other third person games?


It doesn't, I know that and I'm sure it will be very well made and commercially successful. Insomniac are top class developers. I doubt anyone will feel cheated if they buy it at launch, because they know exactly what they'll be getting; it'll be slick with great production values, plenty of content and familiar gameplay.

Maybe a bit banal though.

I'm currently playing Shadow Of Mordor which pretty much nicks everything from the other previous games I mentioned. It is very far from original, but it also has the Nemesis System which is cool and gives it a little identity of its own.

I'm not asking for an avant garde Spiderman game, just a little something 'extra' that justifies its existence rather than mass-appeal and profits.

User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by sawyerpip » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 pm

jawafour wrote:
KK wrote:Compared to a lot of Sony’s limited edition consoles, this one doesn’t look too bad at all.

It does look quite smart and I was initially tempted... but, after a bit of reflection, I'm not sure that I'd really choose such a design over the standard black model.


I was looking to pick up a PS4 Pro at some point so I am tempted by this. Although most of my set-up is black (current PS4, Switch dock, Virgin TiVo, Virgin router, TV stand) so adding a bright red PS4 to the mix might be a bit jarring :lol:

BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by BOR » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:28 pm


"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
souljahsstory
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by souljahsstory » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Octoroc wrote:
Moggy wrote:why does it need to be a vastly different experience to other third person games?


It doesn't, I know that and I'm sure it will be very well made and commercially successful. Insomniac are top class developers. I doubt anyone will feel cheated if they buy it at launch, because they know exactly what they'll be getting; it'll be slick with great production values, plenty of content and familiar gameplay.

Maybe a bit banal though.

I'm currently playing Shadow Of Mordor which pretty much nicks everything from the other previous games I mentioned. It is very far from original, but it also has the Nemesis System which is cool and gives it a little identity of its own.

I'm not asking for an avant garde Spiderman game, just a little something 'extra' that justifies its existence rather than mass-appeal and profits.


But mass appeal and profits is why most big name developers and publishers make games...

HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by HSH28 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Octoroc wrote:I'm not asking for an avant garde Spiderman game, just a little something 'extra' that justifies its existence rather than mass-appeal and profits.


"Webs" might have undersold it a bit.

Compared to the other modern openworld games you mentioned, the difference is the traversal system. That's what justifies the existence of this game and to me it looks like it more than justifies it.

How you get around is a significant part of the gameplay in games like this. Although if that isn't enough for you, it looks to me like the combat has enough of a Spider-Man twist (gadgets and powers) to give it the edge over other games.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by ITSMILNER » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:09 am

My most wanted game in ages this! It looks ‘Amazing’ and I hope they do a good job explaining the background of this version of Spidey’s world (How Norman becomes mayor, does people know he is the Green Goblin etc....)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image
User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by Octoroc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:31 am

HSH28 wrote:
Octoroc wrote:I'm not asking for an avant garde Spiderman game, just a little something 'extra' that justifies its existence rather than mass-appeal and profits.


"Webs" might have undersold it a bit.

Compared to the other modern openworld games you mentioned, the difference is the traversal system. That's what justifies the existence of this game and to me it looks like it more than justifies it.

How you get around is a significant part of the gameplay in games like this. Although if that isn't enough for you, it looks to me like the combat has enough of a Spider-Man twist (gadgets and powers) to give it the edge over other games.


You're right Hugo, if they nail "being Spiderman' it should be a good game and Insomniac are top notch developers.

I just finished Shadow of Mordor so I've got a bit of 'open world fatigue'. It'll pass. I'm cleansing my pallet with Celeste and Enter the Gungeon...

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by Octoroc » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:35 am

souljahsstory wrote:...But mass appeal and profits is why most big name developers and publishers make games...


I accept that and good luck to them, but as a consumer it's not a reason to buy a game.

BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by BOR » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:27 pm

Most of the previews for this game sounds fantastic. :o

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by ITSMILNER » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 am

I’ve read snippets of previews as I’m really trying hard not spoil anymore but damn I am so hyped for this game :wub: this is the Spidey game my 10 year old self always wanted to come


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by NickSCFC » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:50 pm


Image Image
BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by BOR » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 pm

It looks so good and I’ll buy it on the release day. :)

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by ITSMILNER » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:01 pm

Where has everyone pre-ordered from? I have got a pre-order with Base.com as it’s £47.85 with the bonus DLC and a steelbook case

Not sure if anywhere else is cheaper?

Image
User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by Octoroc » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:07 am

NickSCFC wrote:


There isn't a great deal of gameplay in that gameplay trailer. :?

souljahsstory
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by souljahsstory » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:36 am

Weighing up on whether to get the version with the dlc or the standard edition.

Also seen this listing for £19.99 but debating on whether it's genuine or not? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401581093885

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by Octoroc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:47 am

souljahsstory wrote:Weighing up on whether to get the version with the dlc or the standard edition.

Also seen this listing for £19.99 but debating on whether it's genuine or not? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401581093885


Go for the GOTY edition. It's always the best version.

souljahsstory
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by souljahsstory » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:56 am

Octoroc wrote:
souljahsstory wrote:Weighing up on whether to get the version with the dlc or the standard edition.

Also seen this listing for £19.99 but debating on whether it's genuine or not? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401581093885


Go for the GOTY edition. It's always the best version.


I unfortunately don't have the patience to wait that long. I have a weird "fear of missing out" approach to games. Which also means I don't quite enjoy games as much if I pick them up a while after release. :dread:

User avatar
Octoroc
Emeritus
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Blighty

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by Octoroc » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:06 am

souljahsstory wrote:
Octoroc wrote:
souljahsstory wrote:Weighing up on whether to get the version with the dlc or the standard edition.

Also seen this listing for £19.99 but debating on whether it's genuine or not? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401581093885


Go for the GOTY edition. It's always the best version.


I unfortunately don't have the patience to wait that long. I have a weird "fear of missing out" approach to games. Which also means I don't quite enjoy games as much if I pick them up a while after release. :dread:


I enjoy games much more when they only cost about fifteen pounds and have had all their bugs fixed.

Although Spiderman will probably be OK at launch. Just a few minor patches here and there.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: Spider-Man | PS4 exclusive from Insomniac | 07.09.2018
by ITSMILNER » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:28 pm



My god this looks incredible!

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: D_C, ITSMILNER and 40 guests