Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Tafdolphin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am

Tomous wrote:
Hime wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Hime wrote:
Fade wrote:
Hime wrote:
Fade wrote:It's pay to win because there are items you get from crates that give you flat damage bonuses. So if you have one of those and somebody else doesn't you have a distinct advantage

But you can get those crates using credit earned by playing the game. There are loads of advantages in multiplayer gaming such as spawn locations, internet speed and time to spend practising.

Right. But if it takes you 20 hours to get that item, and someone pays for it and has it from the very beginning. Then they have an advantage over you for 20 hours (if you even play that long)

I'm guessing you're planning on buying the game and are trying to make yourself feel better about it. Because if you're seriously comparing a 40% damage bonus (that one player can have buy paying money) to factors outside of the game balance, then you are slightly delusional.

No not at all, I think Battlefields biggest problem is that it is a completely average shooter.

How is playing the game against someone who has paid money to unlock something any worse than playing against someone who has put in 20 hours? Unless you're there from the very beginning there will always be people who have unlocked things that may give them an advantage. As long as it can be unlocked by playing the game then I don't see an issue, assuming of course it's not an all powerful unlock that breaks the game.


Do you really think the time needed for unlocking characters is reasonable? It's clearly been designed to frustrate players and tempt them into paying to unlock rather than designed for player enjoyment.

20 hours is hardly out of line with other multiplayer games is it? People love a grind, look at the success of Destiny.


I was under the impression it was 40 which for the big ones like Luke and Darth Vader, which is ridiculous when people are buying it to play as the big names.

It's a fremium model applied to a full price game.

They've now reduced the time needed by 75%, which seems much more reasonable.



Noooooope. They've reduced the credit cost by 75%. However, they've also lowered the credit rewards by 75%, making the move basically meaningless



Pretty much all the reviews out this morning run the same way: good game ruined by F2P mechanics.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
Newsletter!
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Lagamorph » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 am


Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by BID0 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am

Tomous wrote:
Hime wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Hime wrote:
Fade wrote:
Hime wrote:
Fade wrote:It's pay to win because there are items you get from crates that give you flat damage bonuses. So if you have one of those and somebody else doesn't you have a distinct advantage

But you can get those crates using credit earned by playing the game. There are loads of advantages in multiplayer gaming such as spawn locations, internet speed and time to spend practising.

Right. But if it takes you 20 hours to get that item, and someone pays for it and has it from the very beginning. Then they have an advantage over you for 20 hours (if you even play that long)

I'm guessing you're planning on buying the game and are trying to make yourself feel better about it. Because if you're seriously comparing a 40% damage bonus (that one player can have buy paying money) to factors outside of the game balance, then you are slightly delusional.

No not at all, I think Battlefields biggest problem is that it is a completely average shooter.

How is playing the game against someone who has paid money to unlock something any worse than playing against someone who has put in 20 hours? Unless you're there from the very beginning there will always be people who have unlocked things that may give them an advantage. As long as it can be unlocked by playing the game then I don't see an issue, assuming of course it's not an all powerful unlock that breaks the game.


Do you really think the time needed for unlocking characters is reasonable? It's clearly been designed to frustrate players and tempt them into paying to unlock rather than designed for player enjoyment.

20 hours is hardly out of line with other multiplayer games is it? People love a grind, look at the success of Destiny.


I was under the impression it was 40 which for the big ones like Luke and Darth Vader, which is ridiculous when people are buying it to play as the big names.

It's a fremium model applied to a full price game.

They've now reduced the time needed by 75%, which seems much more reasonable.

By the time you add in loading, match countdowns etc you could probably make it 60+ hours per character. 40 hours is just actual game time where you are playing and not dead etc.

And if you spend any of the credit you have earned in those 60 hours on say a new gun, or a weapon upgrade or a lootbox... you have to replay those hours to get those credits back.

In f2p games generally those hours are real time, so you can load a game do your mundane tasks, log off and come back 3 days later and those times have progressed. This game requires you to actually be playing for each and every one of those hours.

I think the most I've ever put in to a game is Battlefield 2 at about 300 hours. So that wouldn't be enough time to even get all of the main heroes (let alone weapons, weapon parts, vehicles, any of the future DLC)

Last edited by BID0 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Xeno
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Xeno » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am

I have seen a few posts about EA removing the refund button on the Origin store and there is a 1 hour + wait to talk to an online adviser to get it refunded. I wonder how many people refunded so far?

User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Venom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:40 am

Putting aside all the loot crate drama for a second, EA have dropped an advert which plays up to the whole 'Star Wars for life' theme. No way as good as the X-Wing trailer for the first Battlefront game but good to see the AT-AT Walker in different surroundings.


User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Preezy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am

What shitbags.

edit: @Xeno

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Hexx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:02 pm


User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by OrangeRakoon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 pm

I read that advert as being anti-football by showing the devastating mental effects of concussion. What starts as a fun childhood rivalry over Star Wars escalates at high school when the guy's football helmet is replaced with a stormtrooper's helmet - something clearly designed for cosplay and not for actual head protection during an american football match.

From that point on the situations get notably less realistic and more fantasy driven. This is because the guy has suffered crippling head injuries due to the ill-fitting helmet during the football match. His Star Wars fantasy now bleeds into his real life, starting with an imagined giant R2D2 snowman but progressing to hallucinating an AT-AT walking down the streets of the city. It's at this point that he suffers a complete mental breakdown. We see in his head how he thinks he is fighting off the Empire as a rebel soldier, how fully he is now immersed in his own fantasy. In reality he is shooting up his local school.

It's an interesting and provactive advert. Kudos to EA for taking such a public stance on the gun problem in the US.

User avatar
Venom
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Venom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:12 pm

OrangeRakoon wrote:I read that advert as being anti-football by showing the devastating mental effects of concussion. What starts as a fun childhood rivalry over Star Wars escalates at high school when the guy's football helmet is replaced with a stormtrooper's helmet - something clearly designed for cosplay and not for actual head protection during an american football match.

From that point on the situations get notably less realistic and more fantasy driven. This is because the guy has suffered crippling head injuries due to the ill-fitting helmet during the football match. His Star Wars fantasy now bleeds into his real life, starting with an imagined giant R2D2 snowman but progressing to hallucinating an AT-AT walking down the streets of the city. It's at this point that he suffers a complete mental breakdown. We see in his head how he thinks he is fighting off the Empire as a rebel soldier, how fully he is now immersed in his own fantasy. In reality he is shooting up his local school.

It's an interesting and provactive advert. Kudos to EA for taking such a public stance on the gun problem in the US.


:lol:

That's exactly how I read it!

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Hexx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Image

User avatar
Schumi
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Schumi » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:Noooooope. They've reduced the credit cost by 75%. However, they've also lowered the credit rewards by 75%, making the move basically meaningless



Pretty much all the reviews out this morning run the same way: good game ruined by F2P mechanics.


That image is slightly misleading as you got 20,000 credits for the campaign as that's the exact amount required to unlock the story mode character in multiplayer. Now her cost has been reduced by 75%, you now get a lesser amount, but still the exact same amount to unlock her in multiplayer. So it was and still is the game 'giving you' that character for completing it, rather than the more sinister everything is reduced by 75% that the image suggests, there's no evidence to show they've reduced all earnings by 75%.

We're now at the point that the game has a bad rep, and people are just making stuff up so to jump on the bandwagon. Same with that Han Solo Hero vs Villains image on the previous page. What he's suggesting is impossible. It's 3 vs 3, and there are 8 unlocked from the start (Han, Rey, Lando, Yoda & Boba Fett, Kylo, Darth Maul, Bossk)

Last edited by Schumi on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by LewisD » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm

Hexx wrote:Image


:lol:

These are getting good.

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:25 pm

My copy of the game arrives today, and I took today off work to play it. Yes, I'm a mug, but I'm a mug who's a bit excited nevertheless.

Star Wars! :wub:

Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Preezy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Enjoy it Alvin, but just don't give them any more of your hard-earned.

Image
User avatar
Winckle
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Liverpool

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Winckle » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:14 pm

LewisD wrote:
Hexx wrote:Image


:lol:

These are getting good.

Image

User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Preezy wrote:Enjoy it Alvin, but just don't give them any more of your hard-earned.


Thanks! And I won't - all the DLC being free has ensured that. I'm not one for loot boxes anyway, unless they're like in Horizon: Zero Dawn, where you only pay a few easily-earned game bucks for them, without having to dip into the real world bank account.

Jupiter is in your sun sign this week, making it pretty crowded in there, what with Jupiter being the largest of the planets and all.
User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by LewisD » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Image

Imagine your job becoming processing refunds for 9 hours. :dread:

User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by OrangeRakoon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:31 pm

...what's going on with all those shortcuts

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Hexx » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:41 pm

What’s with the shortcuts Lewis?

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by jiggles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 pm

What class is everyone maining? I can't seem to decide between specialist and assault.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Albear, BAKA, Bing [Bot], Brerlappin, Frank, Godzilla, Hound, IAmTheSaladMan, Jazzem, KjGarly, Lime, mic, OrangeRakoon, Pedz, Preezy, Shug5891, That's not a growth and 50 guests