Star Wars Battlefront II

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Hexx » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 am

So you’re still buying a game (for now at least) with content locked behind a huge grind - you just can’t buy past it now. Just have to work those hours for Luke and hope RNG grates (for ingame currency) are good.

And haven’t some people had 2-3 days to buy? Potentially giving them massive advantage?

Its a good band aid to remove the worst elements, but leaves massive problems and presents own problems..

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by jawafour » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:02 am

jiggles wrote:The card system is still there, the only change is that you can't pay money for card packs.

Our posts are crossing with each other :) .

I guess that game progression was heavily bent towards in-game loot box / card purchases and now the only option is to grind for ages to get stuff. In my eyes, neither approach is particularly attractive.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Lagamorph » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am

Hexx wrote:So you’re still buying a game (for now at least) with content locked behind a huge grind - you just can’t buy past it now. Just have to work those hours for Luke and hope RNG grates (for ingame currency) are good.

And haven’t some people had 2-3 days to buy? Potentially giving them massive advantage?

Its a good band aid to remove the worst elements, but leaves massive problems and presents own problems..

Pretty much.

I highly doubt there's going to be any balancing changes done in the interim, certainly nothing major. They might reduce the grind ever so slightly but with the set goal of bringing back the Microtransactions they aren't going to want people to unlock everything before that can happen.
I suspect the Microtransactions will return a short time after Christmas so that Christmas/boxing day sales are done and dusted and the game is past any refund periods for digital storefronts.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by rinks » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am

Nope. Not buying it (literally or figuratively) until they say what's happening when the microtransactions do come back.

Loves us all since 2008
User avatar
LewisD
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: L3wisD
Location: Reading, Berkshire
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by LewisD » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:08 am

Trelliz wrote:The microtransactions are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers...


:lol: :lol:

Image

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Trelliz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 am

jiggles wrote:It's just another case of brainless word-allergy. "Microtransaction = bad, so no microtransaction = good".


Microtransactions in a full-priced game = bad, so no microtransactions in a full-priced game = good.

Tragic Magic wrote:It's so pink when he bangs it on teh floor. Pi mm p boy pink.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Hexx » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:18 am

Trelliz wrote:The microtransactions are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers...


Pinching that!

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by jiggles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:27 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
jiggles wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
jiggles wrote:That people are thinking the offering today is an improvement at all over the offering yesterday only proves that most people didn't even know what they were angry about.

I think the issue is that people aren't aware of the details. They're seeing the headline "EA Removes Microtransactions from Battlefront II" and that's it, leading them to assume they're gone permanently which is exactly what EA will have been hoping for.


I'm not talking about them coming back later. I'm saying yesterday's game with the microtransactions removed isn't better than it was. If anything, it's a little worse.

It's just another case of brainless word-allergy. "Microtransaction = bad, so no microtransaction = good".


The game was seemingly designed to push people towards microtransactions. With these now removed all you've got is a multiplayer game with a non-functioning (or at best, glacially slow) reward system.


So, what difference to you as a player if the guy who killed you has better gear because he paid for crates rather than grinding for hours for crates?

Trelliz wrote:
jiggles wrote:It's just another case of brainless word-allergy. "Microtransaction = bad, so no microtransaction = good".


Microtransactions in a full-priced game = bad, so no microtransactions in a full-priced game = good.


You are literally making my point for me.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Trelliz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:49 am

jiggles wrote:So, what difference to you as a player if the guy who killed you has better gear because he paid for crates rather than grinding for hours for crates


The game shows you what they killed you with, making the source ultimately irrelevant but the desired end behaviour of buying crates to have that gear too is the same - such systems are pyramid schemes of envy and jealousy with ea sat in the corner like the RE4 merchant with a lot of good things on sale to get you to the same place to stomp others.

Tragic Magic wrote:It's so pink when he bangs it on teh floor. Pi mm p boy pink.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Tafdolphin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 am

jiggles wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
jiggles wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
jiggles wrote:That people are thinking the offering today is an improvement at all over the offering yesterday only proves that most people didn't even know what they were angry about.

I think the issue is that people aren't aware of the details. They're seeing the headline "EA Removes Microtransactions from Battlefront II" and that's it, leading them to assume they're gone permanently which is exactly what EA will have been hoping for.


I'm not talking about them coming back later. I'm saying yesterday's game with the microtransactions removed isn't better than it was. If anything, it's a little worse.

It's just another case of brainless word-allergy. "Microtransaction = bad, so no microtransaction = good".


The game was seemingly designed to push people towards microtransactions. With these now removed all you've got is a multiplayer game with a non-functioning (or at best, glacially slow) reward system.


So, what difference to you as a player if the guy who killed you has better gear because he paid for crates rather than grinding for hours for crates?


I actually don't know what your argument is, I just said something I thought was true.

Microtransactions = bad.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Rubix
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Rubix » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 am

Trelliz wrote:The microtransactions are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers...


Post of the day :lol:

Playing: PS4: GT Sport, Kingdom Hearts | Switch Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Golf Story
Watching: Westworld S2, Luke Cage S1
Reading: Andrzej Sapkowski - Sword of Destiny
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by jiggles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am

Tafdolphin wrote:
jiggles wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
jiggles wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
jiggles wrote:That people are thinking the offering today is an improvement at all over the offering yesterday only proves that most people didn't even know what they were angry about.

I think the issue is that people aren't aware of the details. They're seeing the headline "EA Removes Microtransactions from Battlefront II" and that's it, leading them to assume they're gone permanently which is exactly what EA will have been hoping for.


I'm not talking about them coming back later. I'm saying yesterday's game with the microtransactions removed isn't better than it was. If anything, it's a little worse.

It's just another case of brainless word-allergy. "Microtransaction = bad, so no microtransaction = good".


The game was seemingly designed to push people towards microtransactions. With these now removed all you've got is a multiplayer game with a non-functioning (or at best, glacially slow) reward system.


So, what difference to you as a player if the guy who killed you has better gear because he paid for crates rather than grinding for hours for crates?


I actually don't know what your argument is, I just said something I thought was true.

Microtransactions = bad.


A game designed with microtransactions in mind is worse than a game that isn't, but a game designed with microtransactions in mind with the microtransactions switched off is worse still.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Tafdolphin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am

jiggles wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
jiggles wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
jiggles wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:
jiggles wrote:That people are thinking the offering today is an improvement at all over the offering yesterday only proves that most people didn't even know what they were angry about.

I think the issue is that people aren't aware of the details. They're seeing the headline "EA Removes Microtransactions from Battlefront II" and that's it, leading them to assume they're gone permanently which is exactly what EA will have been hoping for.


I'm not talking about them coming back later. I'm saying yesterday's game with the microtransactions removed isn't better than it was. If anything, it's a little worse.

It's just another case of brainless word-allergy. "Microtransaction = bad, so no microtransaction = good".


The game was seemingly designed to push people towards microtransactions. With these now removed all you've got is a multiplayer game with a non-functioning (or at best, glacially slow) reward system.


So, what difference to you as a player if the guy who killed you has better gear because he paid for crates rather than grinding for hours for crates?


I actually don't know what your argument is, I just said something I thought was true.

Microtransactions = bad.


A game designed with microtransactions in mind is worse than a game that isn't, but a game designed with microtransactions in mind with the microtransactions switched off is worse still.


Well that's what I was trying to say in a roundabout way. Now all you've got is a game with a deathly slow progression system.

We agree, is what I'm saying. Sort of.

Microtransactions = bad.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by jawafour » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:33 am

jiggles, I’m not totally sure what angle you’re coming into this from... it may be me misunderstanding your point. On the surface, it appears that you may think the loot boxes / cards were (are) a good thing? Sure, paid systems don’t *have* to be “bad”... but were they “good” in this game?

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Denster » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:34 pm


Hime wrote:This is nonsense, Photek finally posts something factual and he gets burned. ;)
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by jiggles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 pm

jawafour wrote:jiggles, I’m not totally sure what angle you’re coming into this from... it may be me misunderstanding your point. On the surface, it appears that you may think the loot boxes / cards were (are) a good thing? Sure, paid systems don’t *have* to be “bad”... but were they “good” in this game?


As we've already said, the lootboxes and star cards haven't changed at all, not even temporarily. There is no validity in using the past tense to describe them here.

They aren't a good thing, for sure. They are a bad thing. But they're also not nearly as bad as everyone has been led to believe. The advantage you get from a top tier loadout isn't so great that you're going to win lots of encounters that you would otherwise lose. But there is still no positive to their inclusion at all.

Now the only way to advance with this bad system is to spend loads of time with it. Before there was the option to instead spend money if you felt it was worth it, but now that's gone. Any problem people were having with being at a disadvantage to other players is still there, completely unchanged. The game would be better if the system was removed, but this system with the payment option removed is even worse than when you could pay.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by jawafour » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:12 pm

jiggles wrote:They aren't a good thing, for sure. They are a bad thing. But they're also not nearly as bad as everyone has been led to believe... ...The game would be better if the system was removed, but this system with the payment option removed is even worse than when you could pay.

I wonder why EA started out with that system? Presumably because they thought it would be accepted and that they'd be able to ride over any furore that arose. As you say, it would appear that they’re left with a game with a significant focus upon payments for progression... that now doesn’t accept payments (for a while). It seems like a bit of a mess.

Of course, though, the vast bulk of potential purchasers in the mass market probably won’t have any idea of all these shenanigans and will still pick up the game... with a smaller - but still financially beneficial to EA - number spending out on the paid loot boxes when they are restored. I can’t see big publishers changing their approaches too significantly in the long term.

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Trelliz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:34 pm

jawafour wrote:I wonder why EA started out with that system? Presumably because they thought it would be accepted and that they'd be able to ride over any furore that arose.


Exactly. To quote jim strawberry floating sterling, son: give publishers an inch and they'll take everything. This is all about pushing to establish a new narrative where lootboxes and paying real money for them in addition to buying a full game is normal and accepted, and they can get money for nothing all day as a result.

Tragic Magic wrote:It's so pink when he bangs it on teh floor. Pi mm p boy pink.

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Hexx » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:48 pm

"games as a service"

Basically their AAA budgets have got so out of control that sales are never enough now. They need a decent "tail" of ongoing income from DLC etc

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Star Wars Battlefront II | Launches 17th November on Origin, PS4 and XO - First Trailer Inside
by Preezy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I don't think I really understand the term "games as a service".

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Rightey and 34 guests