Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by DarkRula » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 pm

DarkRula wrote:...knowing me I'll look at the store page later and instantly buy it.


Yup. I looked at the store page and instantly bought it. Can't say no to some awesome looking space exploration game. Depending on how good I find it, this might just make its way to the primary play spot of overall games.

I'll probably be able to give some thoughts later. Once it downloads.

Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by OrangeRKN » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:24 am

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Rula! I reckon you're going to like it - I've played a few more hours tonight and I'm really getting into it now as it continues to open up and the loops become clearer. The ships are so nimble it makes exploring the planets great fun, especially as they look so good. This is the first Switch game since Mario Odyssey that has brought me back to docked TV play. I'll have to get some screenshots up at some point.

The digital price is a legitimate complaint, although I can see why they've done it as they don't want to dissuade people from the physical toys. Unfortunately I think it will mean people missing out on a good game.

Ironhide wrote:More proprietary peripheral to clutter up your home, Nintendo just love this gooseberry fool don't they?


*Ubisoft

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by Tomous » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:43 am

Ironhide wrote:More proprietary peripheral to clutter up your home, Nintendo just love this gooseberry fool don't they?

At least they've had the decency to make it optional this time.


It’s a Ubisoft game, not Nintendo

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by DarkRula » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:01 am

Been on it for a good hour to give some thoughts. It's definitely a great experience.

Playing as Hunter - who I find looks a bit like Quinlan Vos - and I've found controlling ships to be pretty easy. Combat is fun if a bit awkward at first. You don't control the ships like normal ship combat, its more similar to a first/third person shooter. Which I guess this is, in a way. At least when on the ground. It certainly seems like there's a lot to be doing, and even though I'm in handheld mode it looks great.

Can safely say this is one I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time on.

Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by OrangeRKN » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:38 am

DarkRula wrote:Playing as Hunter - who I find looks a bit like Quinlan Vos - and I've found controlling ships to be pretty easy.


Did you buy him separately on top of the base game then?

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by DarkRula » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:41 am

OrangeRKN wrote:
DarkRula wrote:Playing as Hunter - who I find looks a bit like Quinlan Vos - and I've found controlling ships to be pretty easy.


Did you buy him separately on top of the base game then?


Digital starter comes with more than the physical starter.

Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by OrangeRKN » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:47 am

DarkRula wrote:Digital starter comes with more than the physical starter.


Ahhh, so you do get compensated for not having the physical toys at least. What does it come with out of interest?

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by DarkRula » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am

More than double of what physical gives.
Three extra ships [Neptune, Lance, Pulse], five extra pilots [Judge, Chase, Hunter, Levi, Razor], and nine extra weapons. The Digital Deluxe bundle would have added one more ship, three more pilots, and three more weapons to that list, but for £20 extra it doesn't seem worth it.

Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by OrangeRKN » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:15 am

Ah so you basically get everything, digital is probably a lot better value then!

HSH28
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by HSH28 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:38 pm

OrangeRKN wrote:Ah so you basically get everything, digital is probably a lot better value then!


I guess it depends how much you pay for it.

I got the physical starter pack on Switch for £48

User avatar
imbusydoctorwho
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by imbusydoctorwho » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Got my starter pack and I've been having a blast with it, the game seriously feels like what a modern take on the Star Fox series would be like instead of trying to be yet another Star Fox 64. It's a bit repetitive but if the game ever got a sequel there's strong foundations for an absolutely brilliant sequel.

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by DarkRula » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:02 pm

That shotgun is an absolute beast. Combine it with the stasis overload weapon and you have a easy solution to most enemies - especially when levelled up. Completed the side quest of St. Grand's Secrets, and it's kinda neat with what it presents. Swapped to Fox and he's now a higher level than Hunter.

I've also been pushing my luck a fair few times and barely scraped through fights with just one of my five ships left. Aiming for the nearest planet while in space hoping you don't get caught in an ambush to get the cheaper ship repair option is tense - especially if you do end up in a dogfight.

Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by OrangeRKN » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 pm

What difficulty are you playing on? I've only lost my Arwing once and that was fighting enemies a few levels above me early on.

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by DarkRula » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm

I think I might have gone hard, but I'm not entirely sure.
Though to be fair I was trying to tackle enemies above my level, since it's only recently Fox has hit the same level.

Image
Image
User avatar
OrangeRKN
SONM & Cake Sec.
SONM & Cake Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by OrangeRKN » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Fair play

I did my first Wolf mission last night, was fun. Now back on the main campaign on the third planet before moving on to the frontier.

I feel like I am slightly overlevelled at level 8, and completely overpowered with the number of rare mods I have.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by Pedz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Ok, I was playing as Fox and got blower up. I then swapped the character to another one via the toy switching. When it told me to ilpick another ship I couldn't due the not having the toy for the shop even though the other guys ship was available. How do you choose stuff that I don't have a toy for even though the game clearly has them there to pick?

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by jawafour » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:16 pm

Pedz wrote:Ok, I was playing as Fox and got blower up. I then swapped the character to another one via the toy switching. When it told me to ilpick another ship I couldn't due the not having the toy for the shop even though the other guys ship was available. How do you choose stuff that I don't have a toy for even though the game clearly has them there to pick?

I don't have the game, Pedz, but I've read up a little and it seems that the add-on ships kinda function as additional lives. The add-ons have to be purchased (in physical form, digitally or - I believe - earnt *very slowly* in-game). These components can be a very expensive option if you go down the physical toy route; £25 per ship. The digital versions are also expensive but the "Deluxe" version of the game ("only" £89.99!) includes all of the ships / pilots / weapons in digital form. A digital set of the extra bits can be purchased but that is approx £58.

I like the look of the game but the cost is a drawback; like many players, I'd want all of the add-on bits but I'm not gonna splash out £90 on this... let alone more for the physical versions!

User avatar
kerr9000
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by kerr9000 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:43 pm

They had a cool display for this in the Local Shopping center , about the size of a room in a small house, so I have to give them an A on in person advertising, all the cut outs and signage and stuff was pretty cool, I would have took a photo but on the way there I was rushing to get to work and on the way back it was just absolutely covered by a crowd of people.

http://kerr9000.blogspot.co.uk/ For my Blog... https://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000 for my YouTube channel. kerr9000_blog on Instagram. kerr9000 on Xbox, PS4 etc
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by Pedz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:02 pm

jawafour wrote:
Pedz wrote:Ok, I was playing as Fox and got blower up. I then swapped the character to another one via the toy switching. When it told me to ilpick another ship I couldn't due the not having the toy for the shop even though the other guys ship was available. How do you choose stuff that I don't have a toy for even though the game clearly has them there to pick?

I don't have the game, Pedz, but I've read up a little and it seems that the add-on ships kinda function as additional lives. The add-ons have to be purchased (in physical form, digitally or - I believe - earnt *very slowly* in-game). These components can be a very expensive option if you go down the physical toy route; £25 per ship. The digital versions are also expensive but the "Deluxe" version of the game ("only" £89.99!) includes all of the ships / pilots / weapons in digital form. A digital set of the extra bits can be purchased but that is approx £58.

I like the look of the game but the cost is a drawback; like many players, I'd want all of the add-on bits but I'm not gonna splash out £90 on this... let alone more for the physical versions!



Yeah, I have more ships, the problem is how do I access the digital ships with my physical edition?

I worked around not knowing by switching to my pro controller.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Starlink: Battle for Atlas *OFFICIALLY* better than Star Fox Zero
by jawafour » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:12 pm

Pedz wrote:Yeah, I have more ships, the problem is how do I access the digital ships with my physical edition?

I worked around not knowing by switching to my pro controller.


IGN wrote:You can always switch from physical to digital mode at any point, but you’ll still need to buy new items digitally for half off, as well as connect your physical toys once a week to remind Starlink that you own them.


Click for source. It does seem a little confusing!


Return to “Games”