Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama, Netflix. Season 2 out now!!!

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Captain Kinopio
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Herbi
Location: The Observatory

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Captain Kinopio » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Finished it last night, thought the while thing was really good. Eleven was the best thing about, one of the best performances from a child actor I've ever seen.

They were all great though.

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Monkey Man » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Finished it tonight, really enjoyed it. Good cast as well especially the youngsters.

About a 2nd season -

IGN: Is this something you’ve thought of as a multi-year show? Do you have thoughts about where it could go in future seasons?

Matt: We wanted to do a couple things with this season. We didn’t want to do The Killing thing. We wanted it to resolve that main thing of Will going missing in the first season. So in that sense, it is like an eight-hour movie. Now, we don’t answer all the questions by the end of the season - there are definitely some dangling threads. The hope is that it feels satisfying but that we left room and that if people respond to it we can go back into this world. But if we do get to go back, it’s not a second season as much as a sequel.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/08/h ... ngs?page=2

ImageImage
User avatar
Zellery
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Zellery » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:51 am

I watched the whole thing in two sessions as well. I thought it was really well done and as others have already said, that 80's soundtrack is superb.

Only show next to GoT that I've ever watched where I don't want to skip the credits.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Errkal » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:18 am

Finished this now, really enjoyed it. Was about the right length and really really well done.

User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by more heat than light » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:47 pm

Just finished this, really very good indeed but strawberry float me the CG at the end was awful. If you can't afford to do it properly, don't show the monster.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Photek » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:06 pm

After BB and BCS this is the best thing on Netflix. Loved it, every single minute, brilliant.

Image
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Johnny Ryall » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:13 pm

This came out of nowhere didn't it? Just brilliant in so many ways.

User avatar
Shadow
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Shadow » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:19 pm

Absolutely loved it! watched it inow two sessions. It felt more like a movie than a TV show.

User avatar
Crimson
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Crimson » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:38 pm

Soundtrack confirmed.



:datass:

User avatar
Zellery
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Zellery » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:09 pm

So good.

User avatar
Johnny Jalfrezi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Where-ford? Here-ford!

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Johnny Jalfrezi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:27 am

I thought it was really poor and didn't see the point of the 80s setting at all - it may as well have been set in modern day (and wouldn't have required the unecessary and transparent interjection of 80s pop-culture references to remind you of the era). Also - and I'll admit this is something of a pet hate - I absolutely detest dialogue that has the second person responding to the first by repeating what they just said - very, very lazy.

The whole thing was inoffensive enough but it was written with all the subtlety of a rapist.

User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by sawyerpip » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:15 am

It's clearly a homage to various 80s films, it would have a completely different style if it were set in the modern day. I'd also argue everyone having access to a phone and the internet would have changed the show a fair bit. I understand if you think it relies on evoking 80s nostalgia a bit too much, but to say there was no point of it being set in the 80s seems silly.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Photek » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:24 am

Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:I thought it was really poor and didn't see the point of the 80s setting at all - it may as well have been set in modern day (and wouldn't have required the unecessary and transparent interjection of 80s pop-culture references to remind you of the era). Also - and I'll admit this is something of a pet hate - I absolutely detest dialogue that has the second person responding to the first by repeating what they just said - very, very lazy.

The whole thing was inoffensive enough but it was written with all the subtlety of a rapist.

What age are you?

Image
User avatar
Johnny Jalfrezi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Where-ford? Here-ford!

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Johnny Jalfrezi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:05 pm

Photek wrote:
Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:I thought it was really poor and didn't see the point of the 80s setting at all - it may as well have been set in modern day (and wouldn't have required the unecessary and transparent interjection of 80s pop-culture references to remind you of the era). Also - and I'll admit this is something of a pet hate - I absolutely detest dialogue that has the second person responding to the first by repeating what they just said - very, very lazy.

The whole thing was inoffensive enough but it was written with all the subtlety of a rapist.

What age are you?


40.

User avatar
Johnny Jalfrezi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Where-ford? Here-ford!

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Johnny Jalfrezi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:08 pm

sawyerpip wrote:It's clearly a homage to various 80s films, it would have a completely different style if it were set in the modern day. I'd also argue everyone having access to a phone and the internet would have changed the show a fair bit. I understand if you think it relies on evoking 80s nostalgia a bit too much, but to say there was no point of it being set in the 80s seems silly.


My problem with it is that it, for me, the story wasn't strengthened by the 80s setting - it was merely incidental. As an homage, I think it's fine and authentic, but not necessarily better because of it.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Photek » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:29 pm

Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:It's clearly a homage to various 80s films, it would have a completely different style if it were set in the modern day. I'd also argue everyone having access to a phone and the internet would have changed the show a fair bit. I understand if you think it relies on evoking 80s nostalgia a bit too much, but to say there was no point of it being set in the 80s seems silly.


My problem with it is that it, for me, the story wasn't strengthened by the 80s setting - it was merely incidental. As an homage, I think it's fine and authentic, but not necessarily better because of it.

But the story was inspired by the 80's Stephen King, Carpenter and Spielberg, it simply wouldn't work in todays setting, in fact, I reckon if they set it in 2016 you'd probably complain that it was too simplistic, cos you've seemingly missed the entire point of the show.

Image
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Photek » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:39 pm

Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:Gaurdians of the Galaxy

5/10 - A poor man's Battle Beyond The Stars

Now I see the problem. Carry on everyone. :slol:

Image
User avatar
Johnny Jalfrezi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Where-ford? Here-ford!

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Johnny Jalfrezi » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Photek wrote:
Johnny Jalfrezi wrote:
sawyerpip wrote:It's clearly a homage to various 80s films, it would have a completely different style if it were set in the modern day. I'd also argue everyone having access to a phone and the internet would have changed the show a fair bit. I understand if you think it relies on evoking 80s nostalgia a bit too much, but to say there was no point of it being set in the 80s seems silly.


My problem with it is that it, for me, the story wasn't strengthened by the 80s setting - it was merely incidental. As an homage, I think it's fine and authentic, but not necessarily better because of it.

But the story was inspired by the 80's Stephen King, Carpenter and Spielberg, it simply wouldn't work in todays setting, in fact, I reckon if they set it in 2016 you'd probably complain that it was too simplistic, cos you've seemingly missed the entire point of the show.


If the quality of the show is entirely reliant on the style, then I'm afraid I'm not its intended audience - the quality of the writing just wasn't there for me. As for how I would respond, were it set in 2016, I can't comment - it isn't.

User avatar
Monkey Man
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Monkey Man » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:19 pm


ImageImage
User avatar
Lazy Fair
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Stranger Things - 80s Mystery Drama out now on Netflix
by Lazy Fair » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Just finished this. Really liked it. All along I was thinking maybe a second season with a completely different premise would work, like a collection of weird short stories.

3DS code - 2707 1618 5652
Let me know if you add me!

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Bing [Bot], Blue Eyes, Brerlappin, Cuttooth, Dowbocop, Fade, mcjihge2, Meep, Met, Oblomov Boblomov, Photek, Return_of_the_STAR, Slimgrady, smurphy, Ste, the eponymous bollock, Tragic Magic, Yahoo [Bot] and 67 guests