Super Mario Run - out now on Android

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Unknown

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Fade » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 am

There's nothing wrong with it being a bit easier, but the changes they've made to make it easier have compromised what makes a Mario game a Mario game in my opinion. And I don't think they really had to do that. It's just disappointing as I was genuinely looking forward to it.
Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:19 am

Just had a go. Got a bit bored with it though.
Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Harry Bizzle
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Harry Bizzle » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:23 am

Fade wrote:Also, it sounds silly, but I hate how if there are 2 boxes next to each other you can only get one of them :lol:


If you time it right you can hit both with one jump.
instagram: @habiz
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Unknown

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Fade » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:25 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:Just had a go. Got a bit bored with it though.

I should have just posted this.
Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Green Gecko » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:27 am

I understand the direction they've taken as trying to make a Mario game that's different to every other Mario game, instead of just realising, well, a Mario game, that 20 million people would buy and never touch a Nintendo handheld again.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Unknown

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Fade » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:30 am

So you're saying they intentionally made it gooseberry fool? I get it now.
Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Green Gecko » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:51 am

In your opinion, yes. It's what I'd expect Nintendo to do though. And what they said they would do.

I think of this as more like Jetpack or flappy bird than comparing it to proper Mario games. Nintendo made a casual game. Big deal.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Cuttooth
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Cuttooth » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:00 am

Played first two levels. It's neat, it's enjoyable, pretty tight for this kind if thing. What's the fuss?
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Green Gecko » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:17 am

Like everything Nintendo does, it's not exactly the same as some other game they made decades ago. And that's why I'll give it a go.

I take it there is an iPad version or do you have to play in iPhone mode? Normally stuff is internally rendered in retina resolutions now so it won't look terrible if the later is the case, used to be awful having to do that. But most games like this have a bigger screen available on tablets?

Don't have an iPhone and don't want one.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Hexx » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:40 am

Well I like it and blew £8 on it.
Not sure it's the second coming - but it's fun and well produced

8930-5286-7013
User avatar
Fade
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Unknown

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Fade » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:11 am

Green Gecko wrote:Like everything Nintendo does, it's not exactly the same as some other game they made decades ago. And that's why I'll give it a go.

I take it there is an iPad version or do you have to play in iPhone mode? Normally stuff is internally rendered in retina resolutions now so it won't look terrible if the later is the case, used to be awful having to do that. But most games like this have a bigger screen available on tablets?

Don't have an iPhone and don't want one.

I played it on ipad. Looks a bit pixely but it fills the whole screen.
Image
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by NickSCFC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:20 am

A traditional Mario game with a virtual d-pad wouldn't have worked.
Image
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Floex » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 am

Nintendo shares have tumbled after investors gave the thumbs down to its new Super Mario app.

The Japanese technology giant saw $2bn (£1.6bn) wiped off its market value as shares fell by 5% in Tokyo, after Super Mario Run was made available on the iPhone in 151 countries.

It later recovered slightly to close 4% lower.

Super Mario's release is the latest foray by Nintendo into the mobile app market after the Pokemon GO craze earlier this year.

Early signs


http://news.sky.com/story/nintendo-shar ... sf-twitter

How does even happen? :fp:

Nintendo, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Qikz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:27 am

Meanwhile, Super Mario Run is doing insanely well on the UK iStore (top spot).

Investors are just idiots, honestly. They don't know what is good and what is bad.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Rocsteady » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:42 am

Cuttooth wrote:Played first two levels. It's neat, it's enjoyable, pretty tight for this kind if thing. What's the fuss?

Yup. It's easily accessible and fun, that's all I'd want.

And yeah GG, it's fine on iPads.
Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Floex wrote:
Nintendo shares have tumbled after investors gave the thumbs down to its new Super Mario app.

The Japanese technology giant saw $2bn (£1.6bn) wiped off its market value as shares fell by 5% in Tokyo, after Super Mario Run was made available on the iPhone in 151 countries.

It later recovered slightly to close 4% lower.

Super Mario's release is the latest foray by Nintendo into the mobile app market after the Pokemon GO craze earlier this year.

Early signs


http://news.sky.com/story/nintendo-shar ... sf-twitter

How does even happen? :fp:

Nintendo, damned if you do, damned if you don't.


The share price probably rose too high in anticipation of the launch and then when it happened some investors started getting cold feet, especially after what happened with Pokemon Go where Nintendo's share price rocketed and then the investors realised that Nintendo wasn't actually going to actually make a lot out of the app so started dumping their shares.
Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Poser
Banned
Joined in 2008
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Poser » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:23 pm

But this costs £8 a go and there's a fucktonne of iOS devices out there. It'll make a tonne of cash!
Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:27 pm

NickSCFC wrote:A traditional Mario game with a virtual d-pad wouldn't have worked.


Why not, have you played any of the sonic games? they work really well. On an ipad anyway, not sure about on a phone, screen is probably too small.
Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:29 pm

Rudolph the Red Posed Reindeer wrote:But this costs £8 a go and there's a fucktonne of iOS devices out there. It'll make a tonne of cash!


But we've established that investors are stupid already.
Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Mario Run coming to Apple iOS
by NickSCFC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:A traditional Mario game with a virtual d-pad wouldn't have worked.


Why not, have you played any of the sonic games? they work really well. On an ipad anyway, not sure about on a phone, screen is probably too small.


These games aren't popular on mobile though. The popular ones are the Candy Crush's that people can play with one hand while stuffing their faces on their lunch breaks.

While I support Nintendo, Sony and Ubisoft for bringing their franchises to mobile to expand awareness, they must recognise that mobile is very different to console/handheld, which they are doing.
Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balloon Sod, Brerlappin, gamerforever, Jenuall, Mafro, Memento Mori, OldSoulCyborg, Pedz, Return_of_the_STAR, The Watching Artist and 31 guests