Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Yubel
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Nowhere
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Yubel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Still no master hand amiibo to pleasure myself with.

Sad times.

User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Mafro » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:44 am

Surprised the Nintendo store still has the GameCube controllers in stock. Caved and ordered one.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter
User avatar
Jezo ho ho
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jezo ho ho » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Mafro wrote:Surprised the Nintendo store still has the GameCube controllers in stock. Caved and ordered one.

They didn't. Nice to see them back in stock.

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Karl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Yubel wrote:Still no master hand amiibo to pleasure myself with.

Sad times.

Just wear gloves dude.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Return_of_the_STAR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 pm

As I’ve never been a massive fan of the smash series I’ve never quite understood why the GameCube controller is deemed necessary to play the game. What it is that makes it so crucial?

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Tomous » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:As I’ve never been a massive fan of the smash series I’ve never quite understood why the GameCube controller is deemed necessary to play the game. What it is that makes it so crucial?


Probably a combination between the button layout being ideal for Smash and because it was the controller you used to play Melee...

User avatar
DarkRula
Member
Joined in 2018
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by DarkRula » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:As I’ve never been a massive fan of the smash series I’ve never quite understood why the GameCube controller is deemed necessary to play the game. What it is that makes it so crucial?


The A button is the most important, and as it's the largest button on a GCN controller, that's one reason. The other three buttons are centred around the A making it easier to use them along with A. As well as that, I don't find it's just for Smash that it's crucial. I find it the best layout for the buttons and wished Nintendo had kept it.

Image
Image
User avatar
Quantum Name
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Quantum Name » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 pm

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:As I’ve never been a massive fan of the smash series I’ve never quite understood why the GameCube controller is deemed necessary to play the game. What it is that makes it so crucial?

Personally I think it's more fan service than anything; the massive popularity of Melee means that many fans of the series associate playing it with the GC controller and can't imagine another way. The Wii version was compatible with it anyway, and the game mechanics haven't really evolved or changed as the technical specifications of the hardware have, so I'm guessing it's been a relatively easy (not to mention profitable) bit of fan service for Nintendo to implement each time. In reality, though, the game is entirely playable with any control setup - it just may seem more familiar to some with the same controller you've always used.

User avatar
Krik Kringle
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Krik Kringle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:55 pm

Remi Dong's point on it being fanservice is a good one. No need for Nintendo to redesign a new controller - they can replicate a popular, tried & tested design. A controller that endured as the most popular one for Smash even throughout Brawl's lifetime - at least when it came to competitive play.

As primarily a Melee player I have a few GC controllers/collect them, so if I was going to play Ultimate I feel like I may as well use one, but it's not like I wouldn't be open to using alternatives if I really got into Ultimate. It'd need to be a wired controller since wireless controllers are not reliable enough for various reasons, so the officially licensed Switch pad from Hori (who have a pretty good rep as controller manufacturers) might be good. But even then I don't know for sure and don't have a compelling reason to change controllers.

Then there are the 3rd party controllers, which are almost always garbage.

So there are potential good alternatives and some people use them, but people will mainly turn to the GC controller because they know they'll get a decent wired controller.

User avatar
Caroller
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Caroller » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 am

I’m going to play with the Pro Controller and enjoy it. Fanservice seems to be by far the biggest reason. The human hands can adapt easily enough to other button layouts.

GNamer admin.: visit your friendly neighbourhood affiliate!
Also I have a writing and music blog.
'Your lives that I spit upon are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid!'
User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Dig Dug » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am

I’d argue it’s also there because some people are also more comfortable with the GameCube controller. It’s my favourite controller of all time and the perfect size for my hands.

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Frank » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 am

Balladeer wrote: The human hands can adapt easily enough to other button layouts.


You say that but I keep pressing the wrong button in Xenoblades QTEs because the lettered buttons on the Switch are in a different formation those on an Xbox :fp: I'm a terrible salvager.

Image
User avatar
Caroller
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Caroller » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:12 pm

Fine: this human's hands can adapt easily enough to other button layouts. :P Probably doesn't hurt that I only play Nintendo machines either.

GNamer admin.: visit your friendly neighbourhood affiliate!
Also I have a writing and music blog.
'Your lives that I spit upon are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid!'
User avatar
Quantum Name
Bizarre Title
Joined in 2008
Location: Bered Kai Nev

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Quantum Name » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Don't get me wrong: the Cube controller is a lovely bit of ergonomic design. I don't believe it's been bettered (equalled, sure).

User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by HaruKazuhira » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:02 pm

I'll be sticking with the ol' GC Controller for Ultimate. Might play with Joycons when I play in handheld on occasions to get extra labbing in >,>

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter
User avatar
Jezo ho ho
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jezo ho ho » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Who's it going to be tonight?

© 2018 Jezo™, SONM™, GRCade™

User avatar
Caroller
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Caroller » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Fingers crossed for Rex and Pyra!

It’ll probably be another Fire Emblem character though. We haven’t had one of those since, ooh, last Direct?

GNamer admin.: visit your friendly neighbourhood affiliate!
Also I have a writing and music blog.
'Your lives that I spit upon are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid!'
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jazzem » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:14 pm

re: controls, I am a bit worried that the right analog position on the joycon may be a bit too far from the buttons for ideal use in Smash. Is actually why I quite liked the new 3DS for 4 as the analog nub was so close.

Won't matter docked as I'll play mostly with GC controller but I am keen on playing undocked too

User avatar
Jezo ho ho
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jezo ho ho » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Isabelle confirmed as a brand new fighter! Not an echo! I'm happy we got a new character announced in the direct, but I'm surprised she isn't an echo.

All those square enix games makes me think Geno may be on the way too. Also, Golden Sun had its trademark renewed, so maybe Isaac as well?

User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by HaruKazuhira » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:17 am

Admittedly got my hopes up too high after news of that trademark >,> I still believe.

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: As Fat as Santa, Parksey and 52 guests