Super Smash Bros Ultimate | Nintendo Switch | Coming December 2018

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jenuall » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Balladeer wrote:Jenuall: It was very much an experiment on the N64, and I don’t think even Nintendo had high hopes for it, but let’s not forget that so was Super Mario Kart. Turns out that allowing people to enact their fanfictions in officially licensed style was really popular, and it snowballed from there.


True. And I do I appreciate how popular it has become, it's just one of those odd things where in my head it's still a quirky experiment!

Doesn't help that the few times I did play it back in the day I found it always seemed like a button mashing piece of nonsense*

*i.e. I was terrible at it. :slol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jazzem » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Jenuall wrote:I love the enthusiasm for Smash that comes across in this thread, but I still struggle to understand the popularity of the game, or the level of attention / priority that Nintendo seem to be giving the franchise!

I remember Smash coming out on the N64 and thinking; "here's another C-list Nintendo franchise". In my head it occupies the same spot as things like Mario Party and Dr. Mario. I mean look at the box art for it, this was clearly just a throw away release:

Image

Now Smash seems to be getting a ludicrous amount of attention - E3 was essentially devoted to it and it seems it's going to be the sole focus for directs for the foreseeable future. I'll probably end up giving it a go, and will no doubt realise it's amazing, but it still feels weird to me that this thing has ended up getting as much, if not more attention, than Nintendo's real heavy hitters!


I think it's down to being such a grandiose celebration of Nintendo's history coupled with incredibly unique fighting game design that grants it broad appeal. This especially became the case with Melee upping the production values immensely and proving a surprise hit in tournament play.

User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jenuall » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Jazzem wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I love the enthusiasm for Smash that comes across in this thread, but I still struggle to understand the popularity of the game, or the level of attention / priority that Nintendo seem to be giving the franchise!

I remember Smash coming out on the N64 and thinking; "here's another C-list Nintendo franchise". In my head it occupies the same spot as things like Mario Party and Dr. Mario. I mean look at the box art for it, this was clearly just a throw away release:

Image

Now Smash seems to be getting a ludicrous amount of attention - E3 was essentially devoted to it and it seems it's going to be the sole focus for directs for the foreseeable future. I'll probably end up giving it a go, and will no doubt realise it's amazing, but it still feels weird to me that this thing has ended up getting as much, if not more attention, than Nintendo's real heavy hitters!


I think it's down to being such a grandiose celebration of Nintendo's history coupled with incredibly unique fighting game design that grants it broad appeal. This especially became the case with Melee upping the production values immensely and proving a surprise hit in tournament play.


Absolutely, that makes sense in terms of why it would appeal to so many - as I said to Balladeer above I appreciate that it is genuinely a massive deal now with millions of mega fans, my head is just anchored to my early view of it I guess!

Partly I think it's down to the fact that I never got into it in the N64 days, then my time playing on and generally paying attention to Nintendo consoles began to drop off through the Gamecube and Wii eras to the point where the Wii was basically a party machine and I never even bothered with the Wii U. So I skipped over the period where Smash evolved from the quirky experiment of the 64 era to the beast it is today!

ImageImage
User avatar
Balladeer
Member
Joined in 2018
Location: Lord's

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Balladeer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Come back to the light, see what you’ve been missing! ;)

GNamer admin.: visit your friendly neighbourhood affiliate!
Also I have a writing and music blog.
'Your lives that I spit upon are now but a caricature of a cartoon drawn by a kid who is stupid!'
User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Dig Dug » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Probably worth remembering that many of Nintendo's big titles started out as small projects that grew into something much bigger as more games were made.
Super Mario Kart and Animal Crossing are the best examples of small ideas that became really big after the first game. Fire Emblem was never big until Awakening was released. Then you have games like Warioware that were originally part-developed in secret because they would have never been approved without a solid proof of concept. These days Nintendo are very supportive of Warioware as a series to the point where it has eclipsed Wario Land.

Smash Bros ticks many of those boxes. A weird game idea; took a lot of approval to get made; kicked off as a big deal with the second game; has only continued to grow since.

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Rax » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 pm

If I remember rightly it was originally going to be a Japan only release but the unexpected success of it prompted a worldwide release.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Tomous » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 pm

Jenuall wrote:I'll probably end up giving it a go, and will no doubt realise it's amazing, but it still feels weird to me that this thing has ended up getting as much, if not more attention, than Nintendo's real heavy hitters!



But it is one of Nintendo's real heavy hitters. Arguably, only Mario and Mario Kart are bigger at this point, unless you count Pokémon.

User avatar
Kriken
Member
Joined in 2015
Contact:

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Kriken » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:29 pm

Yeah it's for sure a heavy hitter. Best selling game on the Gamecube, one of the best selling games on the Wii behind the Wii sports/fitness games and Mario Kart; and Smash Wii U is one of the few Wii U titles to sell around 5 mil copies (4th best selling game) - only MK8 was in a league of its own at 8 mil. And then they would have earned a ton of money/publicity from DLC.

User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by shy guy 64 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Tomous wrote:
Jenuall wrote:I'll probably end up giving it a go, and will no doubt realise it's amazing, but it still feels weird to me that this thing has ended up getting as much, if not more attention, than Nintendo's real heavy hitters!



But it is one of Nintendo's real heavy hitters. Arguably, only Mario and Mario Kart are bigger at this point, unless you count Pokémon.


why wouldnt you include pokemon?

Image
User avatar
Dig Dug
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Dig Dug » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:47 pm

Pokemon is only part owned by Nintendo.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Tomous » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:45 pm

Dig Dug wrote:Pokemon is only part owned by Nintendo.


Exactly.

User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by HaruKazuhira » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Balladeer wrote:Put somebody from ARMS in Smash at any rate!

preferably Helix


The lack of any ARMS representation at all so far is surprising tbh. Curious if Sakurai has bigger plans with how he plans to implement them.

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by shy guy 64 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Dig Dug wrote:Pokemon is only part owned by Nintendo.


but its still nintendo

Image
User avatar
Jezo
Member
Joined in 2015
AKA: Jezo

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Jezo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:35 pm

HaruKazuhira wrote:
Balladeer wrote:Put somebody from ARMS in Smash at any rate!

preferably Helix


The lack of any ARMS representation at all so far is surprising tbh. Curious if Sakurai has bigger plans with how he plans to implement them.

The creator of ARMS once said it was too soon to have a rep in Smash.

Image
Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by shy guy 64 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:48 pm

Jezo wrote:
HaruKazuhira wrote:
Balladeer wrote:Put somebody from ARMS in Smash at any rate!

preferably Helix


The lack of any ARMS representation at all so far is surprising tbh. Curious if Sakurai has bigger plans with how he plans to implement them.

The creator of ARMS once said it was too soon to have a rep in Smash.


did he? do you have a link to the source?

Image
User avatar
HaruKazuhira
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by HaruKazuhira » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 am

I can kinda see that but also I figured Sakurai would have already known about ARMS early on tho. Knowing how Nintendo likes to use Smash as a big showcase, it just feels odd there has been no peep from the game at all. At least an assist trophy or some kind of item. It's strange.

My guess is that the next Direct will reveal an ARMS fighter alongside an Echo and showcase all the items, assist and stages alongside them. Similar to Simon and Richter.

Image
"I am the reason, the answer and the problem"
twitter
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Parksey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:31 am

It was with Melee that it turned from a curio into something bigger. The N64 originally was quite a straightforward game - 8 characters with four secret ones, a few modes and not much in the way of Nintendo trivia or history.

With Melee, it basically became a bit of a museum to Nintendo, stuffed with loads of trophies, bios and nods to other titles. The cast also massively expanded too. I think it also helps that it was one of the first "big" games to come out for the Cube, early on in its life. It was a massive expansion from what came before it and, personally, I've not really enjoyed the Wii and Wii U/3DS versions as much.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by Tomous » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:55 am

shy guy 64 wrote:
Jezo wrote:
HaruKazuhira wrote:
Balladeer wrote:Put somebody from ARMS in Smash at any rate!

preferably Helix


The lack of any ARMS representation at all so far is surprising tbh. Curious if Sakurai has bigger plans with how he plans to implement them.

The creator of ARMS once said it was too soon to have a rep in Smash.


did he? do you have a link to the source?


https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/nintendo ... smash/amp/

“I think the correct reaction is to say ‘I can’t answer that!’. Another thing I’d say is that Arms is so young — it’s only a year old — that maybe it’s too early to think about that. But I think it’s absolutely fantastic that there are people out there talking about Arms characters in that way.”



Of course he may just be saying that.

User avatar
ITSMILNER
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: HUNTIN' DUCKS

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by ITSMILNER » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am

Parksey wrote:I've not really enjoyed the Wii and Wii U/3DS versions as much.


Same for me, I sunk so many hours into Melee when it came out and at that time I never had anyone to play multiplayer with

The next few games next hooked me like Melee did, really hope that changes with this version.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Image
User avatar
shy guy 64
Member
Joined in 2018

PostRe: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Coming December 2018 only on Nintendo Switch
by shy guy 64 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:58 pm

nintendo just upgraded my pre order to a steel case version

Image

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brerlappin, dfox1987, Jazzem, kerr9000, lex-man, Mafro, NickSCFC, OldSoulCyborg, Rubix, The Watching Artist, Trelliz and 40 guests