Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostTelegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by KK » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Telegraph wrote:The Telegraph: subscribe to Britain's finest journalism

Telegraph Media Group, the publisher of Telegraph.co.uk, is extending its successful international web subscription model to UK readers.

Since The Daily Telegraph's creation in 1855, our newspaper has aimed to bring readers Britain's finest journalism. We were the first national UK newspaper to go online in 1994 and our commitment to bringing you the best writers has not changed. A record global audience, exceeding 60 million a month, is enjoying our award-winning website.

The Daily Telegraph continues to have more subscribers than any British national newspaper. We are proud of that fact, and we want to reward our loyal subscribers. So from today, we will be extending our successful international web subscription model to UK readers. Here's how it will work:

• Newspaper subscribers will have unlimited access to our website, in addition to our tablet editions and smartphone apps, at no additional charge.

• Subscribers to our tablet editions also get unlimited access to our website and smartphone apps at no additional charge.

Readers who are not subscribers will continue to get access to 20 free articles a month on telegraph.co.uk. To go beyond that limit, readers will be invited to choose between two digital subscription packages; our Web Pack, which combines unlimited web access with our smartphone apps, for £1.99 a month; or our full Digital Pack, which includes our tablet editions, for £9.99 a month.

With both packages, readers will be offered a one month free trial before they are asked to commit to a subscription. To find out how to subscribe, visit telegraph.co.uk/subscriptions.

For customer enquiries, email digitalservices@telegraph.co.uk.

We have exciting plans for coverage of key events this year: a glorious summer of sport featuring Wimbledon, the Lions rugby tour and the Ashes; unrivalled coverage of all the key political events; and cultural highlights including the British Museum’s blockbuster Pompeii exhibition.

Please join us on our journey.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... alism.html

The Guardian wrote:Britain's biggest selling daily newspaper, The Sun, is to start charging for its online content in the second half of 2013 as part of a radical shift in thinking about readers getting its journalism for free.

Image

Mike Darcey, the chief executive of News International, said the parent company's current position – which allowed millions of readers to get the Sun's content for free – was "untenable".

The Sun online is read by about 30 million users every month – more than 10 times its 2.4m daily print circulation.

At an informal press event on Tuesday night, Darcey said "the second half of 2013 is a fairly safe bet" for the erection of a paywall. That would coincide with the launch of the publisher's new Premier League deal, allowing it to show clips of goals and match highlights .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/ma ... ne-paywall

In regards to The Sun, the Premier League part might be worth something, but for everything else they're going head-to-head with the likes of TMZ and the ever increasingly popular Mail Online, which will quite happily print the same stories slightly reworded (and sometimes they don't even bother doing that).

Image
User avatar
Grumpy David
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Cubeamania

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Grumpy David » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:21 pm

:x I swapped to The Telegraph from The Times to avoid a paywall! Swapping to The Guardian isn't a serious option. :dread:

The pricing is weird too - £1.99 is quite reasonable (though feels expensive after years of free usage and the abundance of free alternative newspaper websites), but £9.99 for a tablet optimised app is just odd.

Is the BBC website behind a paywall for non-UK users? It should be.

User avatar
Fatal Exception
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Racist chinese lover
Location: ಠ_ಠ

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Fatal Exception » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Image

The above post, unless specifically stated to the contrary, should not be taken seriously. If the above post has offended you in any way, please fill in this form and return it to your nearest moderator.
Image
User avatar
Skippy
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Skippy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Fatal Exception wrote:Image


I wrote a 10,000 word dissertation about paywalls in journalism and this still sums up my reaction perfectly

User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Johnny Ryall » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Grumpy David wrote:Is the BBC website behind a paywall for non-UK users? It should be.


They get ads.

User avatar
melatonin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by melatonin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 am

Johnny Ryall wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Is the BBC website behind a paywall for non-UK users? It should be.


They get ads.


We use adblocker. 8-)

Venom wrote:Say what you want but if this Halo TV series is a BIG BUDGET Game of Thrones style series with Spielberg directly producing this could be a Band of Brothers in space.
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Lotus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 am

Ah well. And if it reduces The Sun's readership, all the better.

Image
User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Qikz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:59 am

aaaand nothing of value was lost.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
chalkitdown
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cork

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by chalkitdown » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:05 am

Lucien wrote:Not sure why people would pay for general news when they could just read it on BBC's website.


Not sure why you deleted that post, but I'm certain Cal could answer that question for you.

bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by bear » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 am

melatonin wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Is the BBC website behind a paywall for non-UK users? It should be.


They get ads.


We use adblocker. 8-)

And that's why subscription models are coming back into use. There was an article on Destructoid recently about the percentage of their userbase that run adblockers and how much revenue they lose out on because of that. They are working towards introducing a subscription tier as a result of that but there seems to be confusion over just what a subscription should get people. It's something that will become a bigger problem for website operators as adblockers continue to grow in popularity.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Qikz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:13 am

chalkitdown wrote:
Lucien wrote:Not sure why people would pay for general news when they could just read it on BBC's website.


Not sure why you deleted that post, but I'm certain Cal could answer that question for you.


:lol: :lol:

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Sleighamorph » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 am

Pay to get the news in 2013?
Good luck with that.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
TigaSefi
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by TigaSefi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 am

This will be excellent, it means 30 million twats less that is reading the Sun ;)

Image
1 > 2 > 3 >>>>>>> 4 >>>>> 5
User avatar
Wedgie
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Wedgie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 am

Anything that damages the number of readers they get is worthy of my time.

Image

Denster wrote:My phone messaged me yesterday after i'd encouraged him to download and play the RESi demo.


Super Intelligent Phones Are Here!!!! We are dooooomed!
User avatar
Venom’s Christmas Carol
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: London
Contact:

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Venom’s Christmas Carol » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:10 am

Ever since buying my first iPad I've stopped buying newspapers (except for weekend editions with big free supplements). Why should I pay for content that I get hours earlier for free on my iPad? There is a famous quote that says, and i paraphrase, 'You can't charge for online newspapers as people have already got used to them being given away free.' I used to agree with, but I think I'm changing perspective.

When the Internet exploded and became 'a thing' every organisation wanted to have a web presence. They weren't sure why exactly they just wanted to have a WWW. address! So media companies started putting everything on the web for free and then regretted it after. Now for some newspapers they have been very successful, The Daily Mail website is probably profitable from the high amount of online visitors. For others such as The Sun, it isn't, their online website cannibalises their profits.

But the market is maturing. iPads, Kindles and other tablet devices have hit the mainstream and are a new way to consume digital content. As print mag sales decline people are getting used to reading and paying for digital magazines and books on their tablets. If newspapers have a unique 'voice' and unique content then it is conceivable that people will pay to read them.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Saint of Killers » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:11 am

bear wrote:
melatonin wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:
Grumpy David wrote:Is the BBC website behind a paywall for non-UK users? It should be.


They get ads.


We use adblocker. 8-)

And that's why subscription models are coming back into use. There was an article on Destructoid recently about the percentage of their userbase that run adblockers and how much revenue they lose out on because of that. They are working towards introducing a subscription tier as a result of that but there seems to be confusion over just what a subscription should get people. It's something that will become a bigger problem for website operators as adblockers continue to grow in popularity.


Have they tried asking people to add their site to the adblocker custom filters list? You're the Man Now Dog and a couple of others took the time to explain why adblockers were bad for smaller sites, and YTMND and AVForums also took the time to explain how easy it is to do.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am

Venom wrote:Ever since buying my first iPad I've stopped buying newspapers (except for weekend editions with big free supplements). Why should I pay for content that I get hours earlier for free on my iPad? There is a famous quote that says, and i paraphrase, 'You can't charge for online newspapers as people have already got used to them being given away free.' I used to agree with, but I think I'm changing perspective.

When the Internet exploded and became 'a thing' every organisation wanted to have a web presence. They weren't sure why exactly they just wanted to have a WWW. address! So media companies started putting everything on the web for free and then regretted it after. Now for some newspapers they have been very successful, The Daily Mail website is probably profitable from the high amount of online visitors. For others such as The Sun, it isn't, their online website cannibalises their profits.

But the market is maturing. iPads, Kindles and other tablet devices have hit the mainstream and are a new way to consume digital content. As print mag sales decline people are getting used to reading and paying for digital magazines and books on their tablets. If newspapers have a unique 'voice' and unique content then it is conceivable that people will pay to read them.


People may well pay for magazines and newspapers that get delivered to their Kindles/iPads. I see that as a different market to websites though. The majority of people are not going to pay for access to the websites of newspapers, there are way too many free alternatives out there.

User avatar
Madness
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Tom Sawyer

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Madness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:29 pm

Excellent news! Quality reporting doesn't come for free, and we're far too used to getting something for nothing.

User avatar
Peter Crisp
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Peter Crisp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:40 pm

I get the Times on my kindle for £10 a month and I have a few kindles so both Dad and I use it every day.
I'm happy with that.

jiggles wrote:Nobody with a VR headset is going to be using it regularly this time next year, let alone in 4 years time.


Posted 16th March 2016. Let's see.
User avatar
Mafro
Moderator
Joined in 2008
AKA: DAT MAF
Contact:

PostRe: Telegraph and The Sun websites to go behind a paywall
by Mafro » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:47 pm

I never read either of those sites so it doesn't really affect me. I remember being pretty annoyed when The Times went behind a paywall as I really liked their football section. As long as The Guardian doesn't suffer the same fate then I'm not really bothered who else does it.

HSH28 wrote:Assmung you ever get one that is.

Blog | Twitter

Return to “Stuff”