The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Voting open today from 7am - 10pm

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Who will you be voting for?

Conservatives
14
11%
Labour
64
50%
UK Independence Party
0
No votes
Liberal Democrats (inc. Alliance)
33
26%
Scottish Nationalists
9
7%
Green Party (inc. Scotland, Northern Ireland)
6
5%
Democratic Unionists
0
No votes
Sinn Féin
0
No votes
Plaid Cymru
0
No votes
Ulster Unionists
0
No votes
Social Democrats
1
1%
Traditional Unionist Voice
0
No votes
People Before Profit Alliance
1
1%
 
Total votes: 128
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Karl » Fri May 19, 2017 10:44 am

Eighthours wrote:
Errkal wrote:Point is, as you go right people are more likely to go out and vote and not be subject to apathy. Whereas as you go left they are less likely to vote and more prone to apathy, thus adding an additional requirement will just increase the drop-off. Making it easier for the tories to win, it is a self-serving move, nothing more.


Evidence for this?


I think it happens in some areas of America, to be fair. I can't remember the exact system they have, but I recall the barrier to getting ID is high enough that poor minorities (predominantly left-leaning) stop bothering, whereas the rich white people (predominantly right-leaning) don't see going through that process as a big deal. So ultimately one demographic gets to vote and the other doesn't.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Moggy » Fri May 19, 2017 10:46 am

Eighthours wrote:Also, very clearly the opinion polls show that the 'normal' voter is now right of centre. But never mind.


The "normal" voter is currently right of centre because they have had it drummed into them that foreigners are stealing the jobs and they need to vote Tory/UKIP to stop it. They have also been told that Corbyn is an IRA supporting member of Hamas that will turn us into the USSR.

In a few years, after over a decade of Tory policy, we may well see that swing back to where it normally is as the poorer members of society start to realise how much bollocks they have been fed.
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Errkal » Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 am

Eighthours wrote:
Errkal wrote:Point is, as you go right people are more likely to go out and vote and not be subject to apathy. Whereas as you go left they are less likely to vote and more prone to apathy, thus adding an additional requirement will just increase the drop-off. Making it easier for the tories to win, it is a self-serving move, nothing more.


Evidence for this?


I don't have a report type anything, and like hell am I hunt around the web for one, however from standing as a candidate and all the historical data I got, and stuff we had to do in a campaign (I didn't I was a more a paper candidate but others did) like going round to remind know Labour votes to go out and vote because they would "forget" it is a thing.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by KK » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

My worry for the next election is what happens when, having yet again failed to reduce immigration (it may dip slightly by tens of thousands, it may even go up), where does that voter then turn. Because if not UKIP, someone else will replace it. And if you're angry at immigration, you're not going to vote Labour or Lib Dem.
Image
User avatar
BID0
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Essex

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by BID0 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 am

In the next decade immigration won't be the top issue. It'll be being under water or starving to death. So they'd probably vote for the left leaning parties that have always tried to tackle those issues.

That's of course assuming that we are allowed to vote in 10 years time.
Image
[twitter] [instagram] [twitch] [last.fm]
RO > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 >> 1 > 2 > 7
bear
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by bear » Fri May 19, 2017 10:57 am

One thing that did stand out for me during the day of the US elections was the amount of stories about people approaching those waiting in line to vote and trying to tell them they weren't eligible to vote because their papers weren't in order. If you were to increase the level of ID someone needed in order to be able to vote then I think you would also need to increase the punishment for people who try to tell people they aren't eligible to vote. Five years in jail for each person you denied their chance to vote with each term to be served consecutively not concurrent and no chance of early release for good behaviour.
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by KK » Fri May 19, 2017 10:58 am

Well if you look at London (full of poofters, nancy boys and spivs) immigration rarely if ever features in the Top 5 important issues of what voters care about (it's pollution, crime, house prices, transport, health...). You move to the North and seaside towns though and it's the number 1 topic of discussion by a mile.
Image
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Buffalo » Fri May 19, 2017 11:02 am

Wanting to abolish postal voting is a stupid idea, Eighthours, when you consider that people like the elderly, the disabled or the poor might not be able to get to a polling station.
Oh, wait a minute...
Image
User avatar
Eighthours
Moderator
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Eighthours » Fri May 19, 2017 11:05 am

Moggy wrote:
Eighthours wrote:Also, very clearly the opinion polls show that the 'normal' voter is now right of centre. But never mind.


The "normal" voter is currently right of centre because they have had it drummed into them that foreigners are stealing the jobs and they need to vote Tory/UKIP to stop it. They have also been told that Corbyn is an IRA supporting member of Hamas that will turn us into the USSR.

In a few years, after over a decade of Tory policy, we may well see that swing back to where it normally is as the poorer members of society start to realise how much bollocks they have been fed.


To be fair, he was IRA supporting... ;)

You say 'back to where it normally is', but looking at the pattern of Governments over the last century, isn't it the case that there have been fewer left governments than right ones, and therefore the 'normal' voter has generally historically been right of centre?

I've done a quick count over the last 100 years and we have been ruled by:

Conservatives: 43 years

Labour: 32 years

Coalition: 25 years (including what you would doubtless call a 'right wing' Cameron-Clegg coalition for 5 of those years.)
User avatar
Eighthours
Moderator
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Eighthours » Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am

Buffalo wrote:Wanting to abolish postal voting is a stupid idea, Eighthours, when you consider that people like the elderly, the disabled or the poor might not be able to get to a polling station.
Oh, wait a minute...


The elderly vote for the Tories more than any other demographic group, you ninny. :D
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Moggy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:07 am

KK wrote:Well if you look at London (full of poofters, nancy boys and spivs) immigration rarely if ever features in the Top 5 important issues of what voters care about (it's pollution, crime, house prices, transport, health...). You move to the North and seaside towns though and it's the number 1 topic of discussion by a mile.


I can't be arsed to find it, but there are maps and data out there that show that the people most against immigration are those people that live in areas least effected by immigration.
User avatar
Buffalo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Buffalo » Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am

Eighthours wrote:
Buffalo wrote:Wanting to abolish postal voting is a stupid idea, Eighthours, when you consider that people like the elderly, the disabled or the poor might not be able to get to a polling station.
Oh, wait a minute...


The elderly vote for the Tories more than any other demographic group, you ninny. :D


I don't particularly care who they vote for, you ninny, but abolish the postal vote will only decrease turnout. Not exactly high to begin with, no?
Image
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by <]:^D » Fri May 19, 2017 11:08 am

the older i get the more i realise that Right-wingers/Conservatives are of the opinion that people other than themselves are up to no good - at all times - and that Lefties are more generally optimistic about people's intentions.
User avatar
Eighthours
Moderator
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Eighthours » Fri May 19, 2017 11:11 am

Buffalo wrote:
Eighthours wrote:
Buffalo wrote:Wanting to abolish postal voting is a stupid idea, Eighthours, when you consider that people like the elderly, the disabled or the poor might not be able to get to a polling station.
Oh, wait a minute...


The elderly vote for the Tories more than any other demographic group, you ninny. :D


I don't particularly care who they vote for, you ninny


Well, the bolded bit is you implying that I don't want these groups to vote because they won't vote for the party you think I like, no?
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by <]:^D » Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 am

trust you to pick on the important issue when youre suggesting taking away poor and disabled people's votes...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Moggy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 am

Eighthours wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Eighthours wrote:Also, very clearly the opinion polls show that the 'normal' voter is now right of centre. But never mind.


The "normal" voter is currently right of centre because they have had it drummed into them that foreigners are stealing the jobs and they need to vote Tory/UKIP to stop it. They have also been told that Corbyn is an IRA supporting member of Hamas that will turn us into the USSR.

In a few years, after over a decade of Tory policy, we may well see that swing back to where it normally is as the poorer members of society start to realise how much bollocks they have been fed.


To be fair, he was IRA supporting... ;)

You say 'back to where it normally is', but looking at the pattern of Governments over the last century, isn't it the case that there have been fewer left governments than right ones, and therefore the 'normal' voter has generally historically been right of centre?

I've done a quick count over the last 100 years and we have been ruled by:

Conservatives: 43 years

Labour: 32 years

Coalition: 25 years (including what you would doubtless call a 'right wing' Cameron-Clegg coalition for 5 of those years.)


You brought in the "normal" voter, which I took as a codeword for "poor". My "where it normally is" meant that once they see that stopping immigrants doesn't help them at all, the poor will go back to supporting a party that will help them or back to not bothering voting at all.

Plus your "100 years" stats ignores that under 21s couldn't vote for much of that time and that women couldn't vote 100 years ago. Christ Eighty, first you disenfranchise the poor, then you pick on young people and now you want to take away the female vote. You monster.
User avatar
Eighthours
Moderator
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Eighthours » Fri May 19, 2017 11:13 am

Moggy wrote:
KK wrote:Well if you look at London (full of poofters, nancy boys and spivs) immigration rarely if ever features in the Top 5 important issues of what voters care about (it's pollution, crime, house prices, transport, health...). You move to the North and seaside towns though and it's the number 1 topic of discussion by a mile.


I can't be arsed to find it, but there are maps and data out there that show that the people most against immigration are those people that live in areas least effected by immigration.


Why hello there, Cornwall!
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by <]:^D » Fri May 19, 2017 11:14 am

- we need to curb immigrants coming over because an Albanian criminal stabbed someone and hasnt been deported
- we need to stop postal votes and introduce voter ID because someone might game the system
- we need to make pregnant foreign-looking mothers present ID at hospital in case theyre a filthy NHS-tourist trying to not die and make me pay for it
User avatar
Eighthours
Moderator
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Bristol

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by Eighthours » Fri May 19, 2017 11:20 am

Moggy wrote:
Eighthours wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Eighthours wrote:Also, very clearly the opinion polls show that the 'normal' voter is now right of centre. But never mind.


The "normal" voter is currently right of centre because they have had it drummed into them that foreigners are stealing the jobs and they need to vote Tory/UKIP to stop it. They have also been told that Corbyn is an IRA supporting member of Hamas that will turn us into the USSR.

In a few years, after over a decade of Tory policy, we may well see that swing back to where it normally is as the poorer members of society start to realise how much bollocks they have been fed.


To be fair, he was IRA supporting... ;)

You say 'back to where it normally is', but looking at the pattern of Governments over the last century, isn't it the case that there have been fewer left governments than right ones, and therefore the 'normal' voter has generally historically been right of centre?

I've done a quick count over the last 100 years and we have been ruled by:

Conservatives: 43 years

Labour: 32 years

Coalition: 25 years (including what you would doubtless call a 'right wing' Cameron-Clegg coalition for 5 of those years.)


You brought in the "normal" voter, which I took as a codeword for "poor". My "where it normally is" meant that once they see that stopping immigrants doesn't help them at all, the poor will go back to supporting a party that will help them or back to not bothering voting at all.

Plus your "100 years" stats ignores that under 21s couldn't vote for much of that time and that women couldn't vote 100 years ago. Christ Eighty, first you disenfranchise the poor, then you pick on young people and now you want to take away the female vote. You monster.


Wait, you're saying that all under 21s and woman in 1917 would have voted for Corbyn when he was first elected in Islington North? ;)

I wasn't using it as a codeword. I thought it was referring to the average voter, and thought that was what Errkal was referring to as well. Maybe he wasn't, I dunno.

But yes, you may be right about the poor voting for first UKIP and now the Tories rather than Labour. Although for me it's quite refreshing when any group moves away from 'I'm voting for this lot because my dad did and my granddad did', etc. Tribal politics is boring. As an example, you'd expect that my friends from private school would all be voting for the Tories (when we did our mock election when I was 14 there was a Conservative landslide), but actually most of them are now Labour, Liberal or Green. I'm voting Green in my constituency.
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The 2017 UK General Election Thread - Snap Election for 8th June
by OrangeRakoon » Fri May 19, 2017 11:36 am

Moggy wrote:I can't be arsed to find it, but there are maps and data out there that show that the people most against immigration are those people that live in areas least effected by immigration.


Areas that have been most affected by immigration are also in some cases strongly against immigration, with Boston being the common example. I am under the belief that integration is as important a factor, but I don't have the stats in front of me.

My impression is that there is a curve, with both extremes (very low and very high immigration) being anti-immigration and the middle ground being more open. At the low immigration end there is the "fear of the unknown" and little exposure to the realities and benefits of immigration, and at the high immigration end there is often poor integration and "fear of change" as the cultural shift is too rapid.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: euan707, Frank, Garth, Google [Bot], Jam-Master Jay, Kanbei, Peter Crisp, Saint of Killers, smurphy, Snowcannon, Squinty, Ste, Tafdolphin, Xeno, Yahoo [Bot] and 61 guests