The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Rightey wrote:Also, Love Live is pretty good.


Love Live! is my favourite anime franchise. It's hilarious, sweet, and just thoroughly endearing.

Season 1 has some great bits (every Nozomi scene :wub: ) but maybe hasn't quite found its voice yet (look forward to multiple eps of depressed Honoka :dread: ).

Saying that, I do like that the first season experiments with forms of surrealism that we don't see again until the second season of Sunshine!!. It's always amused me that it low-key establishes non-plot funny moment spoilers Nozomi has genuine magic powers, Honkers can control the weather, and tiny Maki was a time traveller (dat OVA) and then quietly never mentions any of these points again in season 2. This kind of joke picks up again in Sunshine!! 2 which has great absurdist moments like that troll dolphin that follows Dia around and laughs at her social awkwardness.

But apart from that, the changes in tone and emphasis in Season 2 make it a better show. The gags become in some ways more conventional but also more consistently funny. There's a bit where they decide to swap personalities as a training exercise that still puts me in fits of laughter even after having seen it on YouTube a trillion times. And the dramatic moments are better paced as well, IMO. So if you're enjoying S1 then you have a lot to look forward to.

If you work together with your friends and try your best, you can achieve any dream. :wub: :toot:

User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 pm

P.S. Who's hyped for School Idol Festival All Stars!? ...Just me? OK... :shifty:

User avatar
Qikzen
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Qikzen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:59 am

Have you seen iDOM@STER Karl?

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:20 am

Qikz wrote:Have you seen iDOM@STER Karl?

Yeah, I liked it! I haven't seen Cinderella Girls yet though. It's perpetually on my Plan To Watch.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Rightey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:Have you seen iDOM@STER Karl?

Yeah, I liked it! I haven't seen Cinderella Girls yet though. It's perpetually on my Plan To Watch.


Likewise to both these statements.

Miki is best girl.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Rightey wrote:
Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:Have you seen iDOM@STER Karl?

Yeah, I liked it! I haven't seen Cinderella Girls yet though. It's perpetually on my Plan To Watch.

Likewise to both these statements.

Miki is best girl.

iM@S has a lot of solid waifus. Miki is definitely high-tier, but I think I prefer Hibiki. Haruka and Yukiho are also notable for being extremely moe.

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Saint of Killers » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Holy gooseberry fool at some of the VA in Dragon Ball Super :lol: Goku sounds totally ridiculous.

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Qikzen
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Qikzen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Image

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Qikz wrote:
Image

Image

User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Saint of Killers » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Really enjoying this antagonist in DB Super. Ditto Whis. Totally called Super Saiyan God transformation cosmetic change. And while Goku and some of the other Saiyans still sound crazy odd, the other voices are really well done. Especially King Kai, even when his voice doesn't match his panicked behaviour. :lol:

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Jam-Master Jay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:32 pm

Goku's voice is a bit jarring at first for sure but I now prefer it over the dub I grew up with.

The newest episode had some good moments, Gohan not being uselss for a change and the magical girl transformations for the men of Universe 2 raised a smile. :lol:

ImageImage
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Rightey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Tell Karl his brother is dead wrote:
Qikz wrote:
Image

Image


I'm going to take a guess and say this says "flat is justice" or some other nonsense like that, in which case...

Image

Meanwhile I'm here like...

Image

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:19 pm

Rightey wrote:I'm going to take a guess and say this says "flat is justice" or some other nonsense like that

From memory, it's roughly, "Being flat is a status symbol -- a rare commodity!"



Merry Christmas anime thread. BEST SIX(ISH) POSTERS ON GRCADE :toot: :toot: :toot:


User avatar
Qikzen
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Qikzen » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Rightey wrote:
Tell Karl his brother is dead wrote:
Qikz wrote:
Image

Image


I'm going to take a guess and say this says "flat is justice" or some other nonsense like that, in which case...

Image


I refer you to my badge

Image

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Skarjo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:07 am

I would like to do my yearly post in this topic to point out that a while back, someone on Reddit did the maths about some of the book physics in High School of the Dead and some of the big tiddie antics would have literally exploded the girls.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Rightey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 am

Tell Karl his brother is dead wrote:
Rightey wrote:I'm going to take a guess and say this says "flat is justice" or some other nonsense like that

From memory, it's roughly, "Being flat is a status symbol -- a rare commodity!"



Merry Christmas anime thread. BEST SIX(ISH) POSTERS ON GRCADE :toot: :toot: :toot:


Right back at you, and to all the rest in here as well :toot: :D

Image

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.

Image
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Saint of Killers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:08 am

All of a sudden I have an urge to spend hundreds of pounds...

Image

Image

:lol: :wub:

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Saint of Killers
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Saint of Killers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:16 am

Jam-Master Jay wrote:Goku's voice is a bit jarring at first for sure but I now prefer it over the dub I grew up with.


I quickly grew accustomed to it and even have a good reason why it kind of suits him. (Yeah, he's super strong but he's also somewhat an innocent and not some edgelord, so the voice is in keeping with his kindly nature. Or something.)

Vegta the chef :lol: :wub:

Rightey wrote:
Tell Karl his brother is dead wrote:
Rightey wrote:I'm going to take a guess and say this says "flat is justice" or some other nonsense like that

From memory, it's roughly, "Being flat is a status symbol -- a rare commodity!"



Merry Christmas anime thread. BEST SIX(ISH) POSTERS ON GRCADE :toot: :toot: :toot:


Right back at you, and to all the rest in here as well :toot: :D

Image


:lol:

| (•_•)| S: This is the best date I've been on since my last date. PB: This is not a date.
S: Neither was the last one. It was a robbery. M: Really? S: Yeah. She stole my heart. And my crown. (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Jam-Master Jay » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:18 pm

Saint of Killers wrote:
Jam-Master Jay wrote:Goku's voice is a bit jarring at first for sure but I now prefer it over the dub I grew up with.


I quickly grew accustomed to it and even have a good reason why it kind of suits him. (Yeah, he's super strong but he's also somewhat an innocent and not some edgelord, so the voice is in keeping with his kindly nature. Or something.)

Vegta the chef :lol: :wub:


Yeah, the voice perfectly fits this more childlike version of Goku we have in Super. That brings up another issue with the series - in Z, Goku felt like he had grown up and was all about being the hero who saved the Earth and Universe. We hardly ever got to see his goofy side bar a few gags with King Kai and Chi-Chi as there was always some world-ending threat looming. Cut to Super and Goku is back to his original self but in his adult body and I really don't know how well the dubbed voice will fit this version of the character.

Dat anime and manga crew pic. :lol: :wub:

ImageImage
User avatar
Jam-Master Jay
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Stourbridge
Contact:

PostRe: The Japanese Japanese Anime and Japanese Manga Thread
by Jam-Master Jay » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Berserk returns 22nd of December. :mrgreen:

Prison School is possibly ending in the next issue. :(

Hunter X Hunter returns in January. :mrgreen:

There's also been an announcement of a BnHA anime movie for next summer. :D

ImageImage

Return to “Stuff”