The Board Game Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Do you play board games?

Hells yeah! I'm a board game geek!
41
44%
I don't but would like to get into them...
31
33%
You mean, like Snakes & Ladders? :shifty:
17
18%
No way! They're for nerds!
5
5%
 
Total votes: 94
User avatar
Jay Adama
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Edinburgh/Tokyo

PostThe Board Game Thread
by Jay Adama » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Image

Welcome to the Official GRcade Board Game Thread!

Not sure if this will take off or not but worth a try, I'm hoping there are a few board game geeks on here who would be interested in a dedicated thread. A couple of years ago someone got me playing the Battlestar Galactica game and I've been hooked ever since!

Other than BSG, I play a lot of Dominion, Civ, Citadels, Game of Thrones and 7 Wonders amongst others, and I just picked up Puerto Rico which I played for the first time last night. I'm surprised how many people I know who play them, whether they just started recently or they had played them for ages and I just never knew they did for whatever reason.

I'm hoping there's a few forumites out there who play board games and we can have a nice wee thread about stuff that's coming out and what games are good etc. If it gets going then I'll start putting links and stuff here in the OP :D

Basically, as long as it doesn't turn into this:


User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Bunni » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Drunk Articulate is one of the best things ever. I have it at my parents house, but it's too non essential to bring up yet. Next time though :wub:

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by KK » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:56 pm

At Christmas, occasionally. After a days-full worth of drinks. Monopoly, Cluedo...

There was a game called World Cup Cricket by Peter Pan in the 90s that was tremendous fun. Crazy Golf Machine by Waddingtons was another one. They just went nuts with these ever increasingly elaborate contraptions. Mouse Trap of course (which they've completely arsed up having seen the new one last year).

There was another one with a bucking donkey if I remember. I vaguely remember it throwing stuff all over the table.

Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Drumstick » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 pm

I played the very first Atmosphere on Thursday. 8-)

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Knoyleo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:00 am

Last week, I and a few other mates, finally got a chance to meet up with a good friend who hass been out of the country for nearly two years.

So we went to a pub and played Scrabble. :lol:

Image


It was amazingly good fun.

User avatar
Lucien
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Lucien » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:08 am

In high school someone I knew had a board game that was amazing... I can't recall the name but I THINK it was Buck Rogers?!

From what I remember it was like Risk, I'd love to know for sure what it was.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by KK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:16 am

And what about Ker-plunk! And Twister! Proper board games.

Hell, then there was Subbuteo. Now there was a game you'd take over the dining table for. Bloody big table it was too, come to think of it...

Image
User avatar
Jay Adama
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Edinburgh/Tokyo

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Jay Adama » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:39 am

KKLEIN wrote:And what about Ker-plunk! And Twister! Proper board games.

Hell, then there was Subbuteo. Now there was a game you'd take over the dining table for. Bloody big table it was too, come to think of it...

I meant more like the sort of games you will find on here...

There's been a lot of cool games coming out in the last 10 years, proper strategy games and the like. as much as I like Ker-plunk, that's not really what I meant...

User avatar
Slartibartfast
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Caerdydd/Worcestershire

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Slartibartfast » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:41 am

Bunni wrote:Drunk Articulate is one of the best things ever. I have it at my parents house, but it's too non essential to bring up yet. Next time though :wub:


Seconded.

For those brief moments of sobriety, Scrabble is a top choice.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by KK » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:53 am

Jay Mysterio wrote:I meant more like the sort of games you will find on here...

There's been a lot of cool games coming out in the last 10 years, proper strategy games and the like. as much as I like Ker-plunk, that's not really what I meant...

strawberry float that site, Kerplunk's only got a score of 4.82/10. And 4.5/10 for MONOPOLY?! They don't know anything.

Image
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by DML » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:54 am

Jay Mysterio wrote:
KKLEIN wrote:And what about Ker-plunk! And Twister! Proper board games.

Hell, then there was Subbuteo. Now there was a game you'd take over the dining table for. Bloody big table it was too, come to think of it...

I meant more like the sort of games you will find on here...

There's been a lot of cool games coming out in the last 10 years, proper strategy games and the like. as much as I like Ker-plunk, that's not really what I meant...


Oh Jay, Jay, Jay - this could be the start of a BEAUTIFUL RELATIONSHIP.

I have a few games - Bang! Carsaccone, Catan, The Village, Forbidden Island, Munchkin, The Adventurers, Mr. Jack to name a few!

Image
User avatar
Jay Adama
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Edinburgh/Tokyo

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Jay Adama » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:01 am

DML wrote:
Jay Mysterio wrote:
KKLEIN wrote:And what about Ker-plunk! And Twister! Proper board games.

Hell, then there was Subbuteo. Now there was a game you'd take over the dining table for. Bloody big table it was too, come to think of it...

I meant more like the sort of games you will find on here...

There's been a lot of cool games coming out in the last 10 years, proper strategy games and the like. as much as I like Ker-plunk, that's not really what I meant...


Oh Jay, Jay, Jay - this could be the start of a BEAUTIFUL RELATIONSHIP.

I have a few games - Bang! Carsaccone, Catan, The Village, Forbidden Island, Munchkin, The Adventurers, Mr. Jack to name a few!

DML :wub:

Let's get this this thread back on track 8-) I have a few versions of Munchkin and keep on toying with buying Carcassone as it's a good "gateway" game to get people interested. Plus the BGG Store has awesome promo stickers you can buy for your meeples :mrgreen:

User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Qikz » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:15 am

Knoyleo wrote:Last week, I and a few other mates, finally got a chance to meet up with a good friend who hass been out of the country for nearly two years.

So we went to a pub and played Scrabble. :lol:

Image


It was amazingly good fun.


I think that's real cool in all, but that photo really does look like an advert for Scrabble. :lol: :wub:

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Skarjo
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Skarjo » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:22 am

Knoyleo wrote:Last week, I and a few other mates, finally got a chance to meet up with a good friend who hass been out of the country for nearly two years.

So we went to a pub and played Scrabble. :lol:

Image


It was amazingly good fun.


You photogenic banana splits.

That said, me and my girlfriend recently played team chess against her mate and her girlfriend in the pub after a roast. Was great fun.

Blue Eyes wrote:No wonder I'm eating my balls instead of sweets.

Skarjo's Scary Stories...
User avatar
man-eater chimp
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Western Terra

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by man-eater chimp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:24 am

Settlers of Catan. Best game.

Lego Grand Theft Auto... You KNOW you would buy it.
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hyperion » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:33 am

Love Carcassone - Have looked at settlers of Catan and 7 wonders.

Anything that wins the Spiel de Jahres will pique my interest

Image Image Image
User avatar
Jay Adama
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Edinburgh/Tokyo

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Jay Adama » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:53 am

Hyperion wrote:Love Carcassone - Have looked at settlers of Catan and 7 wonders.

Anything that wins the Spiel de Jahres will pique my interest

7 Wonders is superb, can't recommend it enough. There are a couple of promo boards for it too (the 8th and 9th wonders?) One of which is Catan and the other is Manequin Pis :lol:

User avatar
Curls
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Curls » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:20 am

Risk is such a fantastic game. Love Risk :wub:

User avatar
Shadow
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Shadow » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:57 am

Has anyone played Risk Legacy yet?

It's the best board game I've ever played by about a hundred times. It is absolutely incredible.

You will need:

5 committed players
1 weekend or equivalent time period (the game is made of 15 "rounds" each lasting 1-2 hours)
loads of beer and snacks

The game is much better if you can lock down a team of 5 who'll play the whole thing. You can probably swap in the odd player, but the core group needs to be the same.

DO NOT RESEARCH THIS GAME.

It is imperative that you do not learn the games secrets prior to playing, you MUST all go in blind. I cannot stress this enough. Any player knowing the game's secrets could ruin a lot of the fun for all of you.

The game is about £50. If you think that sounds expensive, don't worry. After 2 hours of play you will consider it to be the bargain of the century.

DO NOT RESEARCH THIS GAME.

User avatar
melatonin
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by melatonin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:12 pm

Jay Mysterio wrote:
Hyperion wrote:Love Carcassone - Have looked at settlers of Catan and 7 wonders.

Anything that wins the Spiel de Jahres will pique my interest

7 Wonders is superb, can't recommend it enough. There are a couple of promo boards for it too (the 8th and 9th wonders?) One of which is Catan and the other is Manequin Pis :lol:


This man, right here, knows exactly what he's talking about. When I went camping in the US last year, me and the in-laws spent hours playing it. Behold -

Image

It's such a good game, and far more accessible than it initially appears. We had seven people playing, ranging from a mum who'd never seen it before to the guy who brought it along teaching everyone how to play, and we never started a new game thinking "Well, this is already over." It's quicker than you expect it to be too - having everyone take their turn at the same time makes sure of that, and it also raises an interesting balance as to how much attention you pay toward what you're doing and what your immediate neighbours are doing.

The closest thing I can think to describe it in video game terms is the spirit of something like Civilization - you focus your energy onto a set path for winning, such as science, military, gold, wonders, etc., and then do your best to reach that goal with the aid of whoever is directly to the left or right of you (for trading purposes).

Honestly, I can't emphasise how good it is. I have the Mannekin Pis and Catan promo boards for it too...

Image

Only thing I'm missing is the Stevie Wonder promo card. Yup, real thing.

Image

Venom wrote:Say what you want but if this Halo TV series is a BIG BUDGET Game of Thrones style series with Spielberg directly producing this could be a Band of Brothers in space.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Cuttooth, Denster, Errkal, Heskimo, JediDragon05, Jenuall, KjGarly, lex-man, Oblomov Boblomov, Qikz, Return_of_the_STAR, Rich, Ste, Xeno, Yoshimi and 76 guests