The Board Game Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Do you play board games?

Hells yeah! I'm a board game geek!
36
41%
I don't but would like to get into them...
30
34%
You mean, like Snakes & Ladders? :shifty:
17
20%
No way! They're for nerds!
4
5%
 
Total votes: 87
User avatar
Parkreiner
Shmarkmimer
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Parkreiner » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Tragic Magic wrote:Which edition were you playing? I've heard the second edition wasn't as quick or streamlined.

It's the 3rd edition I've got. Just had a quick look at the 2nd, didn't expect the game to have changed quite so much going to the 3rd. The newer version looks a lot nicer at least, and I like the splitting up of the rule book into a How to Play and a quick reference guide.
Image
Stare directly at the sun. Good for you. Vitamin D.
User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by sawyerpip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Looking for some advice as I'm thinking of picking up a Werewolf game, would it be better to go for the normal version or the One Night version? I'm leaning towards the One Night version as the people I'd be playing with don't play a lot of board games and don't have experience of the game, so it seems like a better introduction. My only experience of the game is a couple of times I've played online here. I'd probably be playing with groups of between 4-8.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:25 pm

One Night

Each game only takes 7 min or so, so it's quick easy and if people strawberry float up it's cleaned up quick
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by DML » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:40 pm

sawyerpip wrote:Looking for some advice as I'm thinking of picking up a Werewolf game, would it be better to go for the normal version or the One Night version? I'm leaning towards the One Night version as the people I'd be playing with don't play a lot of board games and don't have experience of the game, so it seems like a better introduction. My only experience of the game is a couple of times I've played online here. I'd probably be playing with groups of between 4-8.


One Night, One Night, One Night ONE NIGHT ONE NIGHT NOENJSIGHT!!!!


...



...you should get One Night.
User avatar
sawyerpip
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by sawyerpip » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:45 pm

:lol:

Seems pretty unanimous. I'm going to try and get it this week and organise a get together for the weekend so will let you know how I get on. The last board game I bought was Game of Thrones, and it's never actually been played as my friends don't fancy spending hours learning the rules with me :lol:. Hopefully this purchase will yield better results.
User avatar
Roonmastor
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Roonmastor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Played Month 1 of Pandemic Legacy yesterday. Very similar to normal Pandemic at the mo but having the extra considerations of impacts on future games makes it like playing 12 games in one sitting and vastly more intense.

I had my Dispatcher in a 3 cube city and knew that city was going to be in the next 10 cards and 6 to draw before my go. We rode Lady luck on the first two and then had to forecast to see if I'd take a scar or not. I would have but we stopped it.

Later on we had the game under control, although we had to take a few outbreaks in the chin which would cost us going forward especially as an outbreak triangle formed. Managed to de-risk cities moments before outbreaks. Ended with one outbreak but could have had 7 easy! So much fun! So stressful!
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tragic Magic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Going away next week with a group of 6 to play board games and get drunk in a cabin in the woods. It's a shame the Evil Dead board game isn't out until April :lol:
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by FatDaz » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:58 am

Roonmastor wrote:Played Month 1 of Pandemic Legacy yesterday. Very similar to normal Pandemic at the mo but having the extra considerations of impacts on future games makes it like playing 12 games in one sitting and vastly more intense.

I had my Dispatcher in a 3 cube city and knew that city was going to be in the next 10 cards and 6 to draw before my go. We rode Lady luck on the first two and then had to forecast to see if I'd take a scar or not. I would have but we stopped it.

Later on we had the game under control, although we had to take a few outbreaks in the chin which would cost us going forward especially as an outbreak triangle formed. Managed to de-risk cities moments before outbreaks. Ended with one outbreak but could have had 7 easy! So much fun! So stressful!


You're in for a treat, Legacy has that stressful but exciting gameplay throughout and it ramps up massively as it goes on
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by jiggles » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:17 pm

Dunwich Legacy core set seems to be readily available now for the Arkham Horror LCG.

Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow so I can spend some time with it over the weekend.

I've also subbed to the 6 card sets due to release during the cycle. :dread:
Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Drumstick » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Anyone played Bounce Off? A friend of mine wants to play it this weekend.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image
User avatar
Yoshimi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Near Edinburgh

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Yoshimi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:39 pm

jiggles wrote:Dunwich Legacy core set seems to be readily available now for the Arkham Horror LCG.

Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow so I can spend some time with it over the weekend.

I've also subbed to the 6 card sets due to release during the cycle. :dread:


I got Dunwich Legacy and Curse of the Rougarou last Thursday. We played the first scenario of Dunwich on Monday night. Tough, but we finished in one piece.
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by jiggles » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:56 pm

Yoshimi wrote:
jiggles wrote:Dunwich Legacy core set seems to be readily available now for the Arkham Horror LCG.

Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow so I can spend some time with it over the weekend.

I've also subbed to the 6 card sets due to release during the cycle. :dread:


I got Dunwich Legacy and Curse of the Rougarou last Thursday. We played the first scenario of Dunwich on Monday night. Tough, but we finished in one piece.


Did you try carrying over your characters from the original campaign into Dunwich? I'm interested in how that works out.
Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Yoshimi wrote:
jiggles wrote:Dunwich Legacy core set seems to be readily available now for the Arkham Horror LCG.

Hopefully mine arrives tomorrow so I can spend some time with it over the weekend.

I've also subbed to the 6 card sets due to release during the cycle. :dread:


I got Dunwich Legacy and Curse of the Rougarou last Thursday. We played the first scenario of Dunwich on Monday night. Tough, but we finished in one piece.


But which scenario did you go for? We started with The House Always wins and got out with the objective intact 1 round before the last Agenda Advance. It was really, really fun and far more inventive than the core campaign. I was Zoey, aka monster murdering machine, and my mate was Rex aka clue collecting colossus.

The highlight was the themeing, which I can't talk about with out SPOILERS:

I love, love, love the fact that all the enemies are aloof in the first act. Because why would they attack you? You're in a gambling den and sure, you look suspicious, but you haven't played your hand yet. And the fact that the Pit Boss follows you around, like in any number of movies and TV shows, is strawberry floating fantastic. As is the Card Room clue gambleathon. And the option to cheat. And drink. strawberry float, the whole thing was great.
Last edited by Tafdolphin on Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Yoshimi
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Near Edinburgh

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Yoshimi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:47 pm

We started fresh characters. I was Zoey too. She kicks so much ass! We played 4 player - Zoey, Rex, Jenny and Ashcan Pete. We played 'Extracurricular Activities'. Will be playing 'House Always Wins' on Monday.

I also played a "2 handed" solo game the other night with Zoey and Rex, but things fell apart when "The Experiment" showed up while the investigators were in the science building. Then I immediately drew an Arcane Barrier and a Whippoorwill!
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by FatDaz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:40 pm

Bought the xcom expansion - Evolution. Looks good, probably makes the game 10 times harder but adds some really nice and thematic additions and some of the new tech, MEC troopers and asset cards should balance it out nicely. Looking forward to giving it a go with my usual group.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Rebellion tomorrow again.
It's gonna be amazeballs
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by FatDaz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:30 pm

Hexx wrote:Rebellion tomorrow again.
It's gonna be amazeballs


I'm introducing a mate to it on Monday, looking forward to it already!
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:27 am

Had another great game of Rebellion this weekend (love it so much)

Basically I knew where his base was from turn 2 thanks to Homing Beacon - but spent too long spreading across the galaxy to try and create a net if he moved the base, rather than putting serious pressure on it. He played well as rush through Objective cards to get to the good/big ones.

By the time I pushed he made a decent counter attempt and could stall me.

Ended up with 2 turns left at most - I could get to his base (with a Death Star) in 2...
He could get a small group of 5 X-wings too my Death Star in 1...and my Death Star didn't have enough support to be sure to destroy then before they could (presumably) go for Death Star plans...
Manged to used Soontir Fel's "Scouting Party" to get 5 Tie-Fighters into the X-Wings system and start a combat. Lucky dice rolls meant they ANNIHILATED the X-wings and the Death Star advanced. I was feeling confident now and he was (jokingly) dismayed I'd smashed his strategy. I would need 2 activations next turn to win

He'd then used intel to get one more objective card...and it was something like "spread to 6 systems" - that he did at the end of the round and won and won a very anti-climatic victory for him
User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by FatDaz » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:04 am

It's a great game for creating talking points! I've realised that as empire you just can't afford to waste time, you need to be spreading your forces far and wide quickly. Of course last game I played my opponent did just that and found my base on turn 2. Thankfully he sent too few forces and I held them off long enough to move base!
User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by DML » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:14 am

Hexx wrote:Had another great game of Rebellion this weekend (love it so much)

Basically I knew where his base was from turn 2 thanks to Homing Beacon - but spent too long spreading across the galaxy to try and create a net if he moved the base, rather than putting serious pressure on it. He played well as rush through Objective cards to get to the good/big ones.

By the time I pushed he made a decent counter attempt and could stall me.

Ended up with 2 turns left at most - I could get to his base (with a Death Star) in 2...
He could get a small group of 5 X-wings too my Death Star in 1...and my Death Star didn't have enough support to be sure to destroy then before they could (presumably) go for Death Star plans...
Manged to used Soontir Fel's "Scouting Party" to get 5 Tie-Fighters into the X-Wings system and start a combat. Lucky dice rolls meant they ANNIHILATED the X-wings and the Death Star advanced. I was feeling confident now and he was (jokingly) dismayed I'd smashed his strategy. I would need 2 activations next turn to win

He'd then used intel to get one more objective card...and it was something like "spread to 6 systems" - that he did at the end of the round and won and won a very anti-climatic victory for him


https://youtu.be/zcEU5dy3QTI?t=33s

(Only joking, just made me think of it)

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Bunni, DrPepperMan, jiggles, Monkey Man, OrangeRakoon, Peter Crisp, Return_of_the_STAR, Somebody Else's Problem, the eponymous bollock, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests