The Board Game Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Do you play board games?

Hells yeah! I'm a board game geek!
41
44%
I don't but would like to get into them...
30
32%
You mean, like Snakes & Ladders? :shifty:
17
18%
No way! They're for nerds!
5
5%
 
Total votes: 93
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Joer wrote:Is the Arkham game you lot bang on about much different to Arkham Horror? My group could never really get on with that.


It's the Arkham Horror Living Card Game. Shares some art and characters with the Arkham board game, but nothing else. Also, Eldritch Horror is essentially an updated, simplified and generally better sequel/update to the Arkham board game.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tragic Magic » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:39 am

Been playing less board games recently after starting a D&D campaign with my friends instead. Now most weekends together are dedicated to D&D with maybe a little Fluxx or Carcassonne afterwards. Not complaining at all but there's just not enough time in the world to play everything as much as I'd want to.

User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by smurphy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:52 pm

I really want to to get into D&D but I don't know anyone who can teach it or GM properly.

There's another RPG called Tales of the Loop that sounds pretty awesome, might have a look at that sometime.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hyperion » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:32 am

I'm going to a beginner's D&D session next weekend at the local boardgame cafe. It's going to be great.

Image Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Hyperion wrote:I'm going to a beginner's D&D session next weekend at the local boardgame cafe. It's going to be great.


Whatcha going to be?

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hyperion » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Hexx wrote:
Hyperion wrote:I'm going to a beginner's D&D session next weekend at the local boardgame cafe. It's going to be great.


Whatcha going to be?


No idea. A powerful wizard, or a bad ass kelpie?

Image Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Hyperion wrote:
Hexx wrote:
Hyperion wrote:I'm going to a beginner's D&D session next weekend at the local boardgame cafe. It's going to be great.


Whatcha going to be?


No idea. A powerful wizard, or a bad ass kelpie?


I played a Wizard in my learner game - fell apart due to lack of attendance due to real like but it was fun. Sorcerer looks like a more involved version though.

Being a Cleric atm - but it's a bit dull being healer focused.

Enjoy!

User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tragic Magic » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:34 pm

I'm DMing the Lost Mines of Phandelver campaign at the minute. Got our 4th session on Saturday and I absolutely love it. I think I prefer being DM over being a player. Always get butterflies though before a game.

User avatar
Roonmastor
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Roonmastor » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:57 pm

I'd be interested in giving D&D a go but again its finding a group for beginners. I know the local boardgame club will run one but the group I attend with (incl the missus) would rather try a new boardgame and I'm okay to do the same as I go to be social witb them.

User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tragic Magic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:31 pm

DMing session 5 of the Lost Mine of Phandelver tomorrow. In the last session, the party rescued Gundren Rockseeker from the goblins and bugbears of Cragmaw Castle and they will now be heading to the town of Phandalin. If they don't immediately head for the final section of the campaign, this is where the campaign becomes quite open with a bunch of side quests and interesting NPCs to interact with. I'm very excited but also pretty nervous. I always get nerves before DMing a session though, in a way, I find it helps me to prepare just well enough that I'm ready for anything. I've been home alone tonight so I've been practicing my NPC voices/mannerisms in preparation.

Story wise, Gundren is very eager to head to Wave Echo Cave in order to check that his brothers are safe. As I'd like the party to remain in the town and do some side quests, I'm going to roleplay as a shape shifter, mimicking one of Gundren's brothers. He'll be blind drunk in the town inn, wailing and crying over the third brother's death. Which should remove Gundren from the party while he sobers up his "brother" to get information from him. I'm anticipating that the shape shifter will attack Gundren when they are alone but Gundren will fight him off and the shape shifter will escape to be brought back later on. The party have already, indirectly, gotten an important NPC killed and lost Gundren's wagon of supplies so killing Gundren off isn't really an option, unless I want to be a mean as strawberry float DM.

A friend from work, who is a fellow player in another campaign, will also be joining us. So I may have to scale up the combat encounters depending on how well the party perform with an extra player.

User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hyperion » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Had a great time at my beginners D&D session. The time flew past and we were ultimately successful in our quest despite a clumsy halfling nearly killing us all. Will have to try and play some more.

Image Image
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tragic Magic » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:56 pm

My wife and I and two of our friends played our first case of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Jack the Ripper etc tonight and it was amazing. Saving the Jack campaign for later so we dived in at case 5 and it was mega. We took our sweet time and solved everything except for one detail in the bonus questions. Our final score was -60 because we'd visited so many locations but we didn't care. I'd rather have a bad score and not leave a stone unturned than rush to the end for a high score and potentially miss things, have them spoiled by the answers.

My favourite moments were when we found a list of cab destinations and marked them on the map, trying to piece together who went where and when and why.

And also locating the hideout of a local theif using the London directory and a small lead.

I also thought it genius when someone said to compare the handwriting on two notes in the booklet which led to another clue. Real MGS forth wall feelings.


I definitely prefer it to Watson and Holmes as I prefer to talk with the group throughout the case but both are really good. Can't wait to play it again.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:50 am

Image

Last Dunwich Mythos pack just got posted. Time to solve the mystery, drive back the night and bring this home.

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Hexx wrote:Image

Last Dunwich Mythos pack just got posted. Time to solve the mystery, drive back the night and bring this home.


Right. Re: Where Doom Awaits....how did you do?

We got strawberry floated. Bear in mind we'd gotten the best, or close to the best, resolution from every previous pack. Right from the off with this one we were beset by creatures and couldn't move for fear of Attacks of Opportunity. My friend was Rex so was trying to gather clues, but at one point I had three creatures engaged with me, one of which was almost unkillable without a gun (which I didn't have). We then both drew the Hex that kills you (-10 health) if you cycle your deck and were both forced to resign as we had 1 or 2 cards left each at that point. We assumed we'd get some negative effect going into the last scenario. Nope:

"Yog Shottoth has merged with reality. All Investigators go irreparably insane. You lose the campaign.


strawberry floating hell.

Anyway, I'm setting up my first RPG as DM. What was supposed to be a small experiemental game with three people has now become a game with 6 players that I really need to think about. Using Tales from the Loop as the sourcebook:

Image
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... 0s-that-ne

It's basically Stranger Things/Stand by Me with sci-fi, an homage to 80s adventure films. I'm running my own adventure, which I'm terrified about, but I'm really looking forward to it. Any tips from experienced DMs on a first time campaign?

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:Image

Last Dunwich Mythos pack just got posted. Time to solve the mystery, drive back the night and bring this home.


Right. Re: Where Doom Awaits....how did you do?

We got strawberry floated. Bear in mind we'd gotten the best, or close to the best, resolution from every previous pack. Right from the off with this one we were beset by creatures and couldn't move for fear of Attacks of Opportunity. My friend was Rex so was trying to gather clues, but at one point I had three creatures engaged with me, one of which was almost unkillable without a gun (which I didn't have). We then both drew the Hex that kills you (-10 health) if you cycle your deck and were both forced to resign as we had 1 or 2 cards left each at that point. We assumed we'd get some negative effect going into the last scenario. Nope:

"Yog Shottoth has merged with reality. All Investigators go irreparably insane. You lose the campaign.


strawberry floating hell.



Um...fine?

It's a few weeks ago so I might get this a bit wrong.

I had the remains of the creatures from earlier in the campaign to deal with, but not much else came out of the deck (IIRC some stuff I killed or avoided, nothing particularly nasty)

Fairly basic clue hunt otherwise to get up the hill. I didn't seem to have any particularly negative reveals when moving into things (I **think** I had one "lose all your actions" but it was my last action anyone.

Got up the hill and I had something to help distract the priest (think it was the Necronomicon) so was able to break through the barrier and into the unknown pretty easily.

I found it fairly easy to be honest. The fallout from the last one was largely just some extra Doom. And Pete is ridiculous action efficient (with a move/investigate combo in Duke) so it didn't add much pressure

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Hexx wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:Image

Last Dunwich Mythos pack just got posted. Time to solve the mystery, drive back the night and bring this home.


Right. Re: Where Doom Awaits....how did you do?

We got strawberry floated. Bear in mind we'd gotten the best, or close to the best, resolution from every previous pack. Right from the off with this one we were beset by creatures and couldn't move for fear of Attacks of Opportunity. My friend was Rex so was trying to gather clues, but at one point I had three creatures engaged with me, one of which was almost unkillable without a gun (which I didn't have). We then both drew the Hex that kills you (-10 health) if you cycle your deck and were both forced to resign as we had 1 or 2 cards left each at that point. We assumed we'd get some negative effect going into the last scenario. Nope:

"Yog Shottoth has merged with reality. All Investigators go irreparably insane. You lose the campaign.


strawberry floating hell.



Um...fine?

It's a few weeks ago so I might get this a bit wrong.

I had the remains of the creatures from earlier in the campaign to deal with, but not much else came out of the deck (IIRC some stuff I killed or avoided, nothing particularly nasty)

Fairly basic clue hunt otherwise to get up the hill. I didn't seem to have any particularly negative reveals when moving into things (I **think** I had one "lose all your actions" but it was my last action anyone.

Got up the hill and I had something to help distract the priest (think it was the Necronomicon) so was able to break through the barrier and into the unknown pretty easily.

I found it fairly easy to be honest. The fallout from the last one was largely just some extra Doom. And Pete is ridiculous action efficient (with a move/investigate combo in Duke) so it didn't add much pressure


Urgh. I don't know what we did wrong. Maybe just a bad draw. Oh well. No last mythos pack for us.

Goat wrote:Guy probably decided not to show up because he heard Taffy was a Cow-exploding fantasist mentalist.

Bloggy blog blog blog.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:52 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:
Tafdolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:Image

Last Dunwich Mythos pack just got posted. Time to solve the mystery, drive back the night and bring this home.


Right. Re: Where Doom Awaits....how did you do?

We got strawberry floated. Bear in mind we'd gotten the best, or close to the best, resolution from every previous pack. Right from the off with this one we were beset by creatures and couldn't move for fear of Attacks of Opportunity. My friend was Rex so was trying to gather clues, but at one point I had three creatures engaged with me, one of which was almost unkillable without a gun (which I didn't have). We then both drew the Hex that kills you (-10 health) if you cycle your deck and were both forced to resign as we had 1 or 2 cards left each at that point. We assumed we'd get some negative effect going into the last scenario. Nope:

"Yog Shottoth has merged with reality. All Investigators go irreparably insane. You lose the campaign.


strawberry floating hell.



Um...fine?

It's a few weeks ago so I might get this a bit wrong.

I had the remains of the creatures from earlier in the campaign to deal with, but not much else came out of the deck (IIRC some stuff I killed or avoided, nothing particularly nasty)

Fairly basic clue hunt otherwise to get up the hill. I didn't seem to have any particularly negative reveals when moving into things (I **think** I had one "lose all your actions" but it was my last action anyone.

Got up the hill and I had something to help distract the priest (think it was the Necronomicon) so was able to break through the barrier and into the unknown pretty easily.

I found it fairly easy to be honest. The fallout from the last one was largely just some extra Doom. And Pete is ridiculous action efficient (with a move/investigate combo in Duke) so it didn't add much pressure


Urgh. I don't know what we did wrong. Maybe just a bad draw. Oh well. No last mythos pack for us.


Because you let the world be destroyed

I found it a bit dull tbh - didn't like basic clue hunt, although liked way previous events came into play.

I wouldn't call it a cake walk, I was pressured, but not fighting for my life. IIRC I considered briefly heading back from the portal to kill some beasties left behind for XP - but then had to swiftly retreat as gooseberry fool hit fan


Pete :wub:

Tempted to redo the entire campaign soon as someone else, but I can't see anyone else being as solo friendly. Tempted by a mystic (Anges?)

User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by jiggles » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:42 pm

I think Jenny Barnes is the recommended solo character, due to her explosive resource growth and high stats

Image

The elusive card is really good to get you out of a jam.

Image

Leo gives you an extra action.

Image

Hard Knocks (plus your aforementioned resource abundance) gives you easy wins on difficult skill checks

Image

And you can load her guns with as much ammo as you damn please.

Image

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
jiggles
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: pyxl-8

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by jiggles » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:51 pm

It also helps that she's the coolest mummy strawberry floater in the game.

Streaming: YouTube Gaming | Tweeting: Twitter
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:55 pm

I tried her (a few mythos packs ago) to redo the Core Campaign and didn't love her.

Felt too driven by draw (then again anyone's going to feel like that after Pete who starts with his most powerful feature in play).

The idea of trying a Mystic was it's entirely new style of mechanics :)


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Denster, Snowcannon and 62 guests