The Board Game Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Do you play board games?

Hells yeah! I'm a board game geek!
46
46%
I don't but would like to get into them...
32
32%
You mean, like Snakes & Ladders? :shifty:
18
18%
No way! They're for nerds!
5
5%
 
Total votes: 101
User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 am

Hexx wrote:Chum is planning to run and Imperial Assault campaign next year



Have you tried the app yet? A group of us ran through the tutorial and first mission and it works really well. It's fiddly (and the first mission of the new campaign that comes with the app is loooooong) but it was a really interesting way to play.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:15 am

Rudolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:Chum is planning to run and Imperial Assault campaign next year



Have you tried the app yet? A group of us ran through the tutorial and first mission and it works really well. It's fiddly (and the first mission of the new campaign that comes with the app is loooooong) but it was a really interesting way to play.


Not played any of it.

Chum1 and I were briefly looking at it (as a co-op experience) when the App came out but on reading it was App only (and not main campaign) decided to wait.

Chum2 bought the Core Set on Amazon (£40!) last week and is going to run and campaign for 5 people from Boardgame group :D

I've been looking at the product line for the first time...xpacs are fairly simple - but what are Hero/Villians packs? More characters for people to play?

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:21 am

Hexx wrote:
Rudolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:Chum is planning to run and Imperial Assault campaign next year



Have you tried the app yet? A group of us ran through the tutorial and first mission and it works really well. It's fiddly (and the first mission of the new campaign that comes with the app is loooooong) but it was a really interesting way to play.


Not played any of it.

Chum1 and I were briefly looking at it (as a co-op experience) when the App came out but on reading it was App only (and not main campaign) decided to wait.


Like I say there is a campaign included with the app. It's fun, and breaks up the mission with small "Choose your own adventure" interludes

Chum2 bought the Core Set on Amazon (£40!) last week and is going to run and campaign for 5 people from Boardgame group :D

I've been looking at the product line for the first time...xpacs are fairly simple - but what are Hero/Villians packs? More characters for people to play?


Not really. Sort of.

Each hero and villain pack comes with the character model, skirmish cards for skirmish mode and a special mission for campaign mode. This mission is shuffled into the campaign side missions and can be selected by the rebels or Imperial player (depending on whether its a villain or hero). The mission then needs to be won for the hero/villain to be used.

If the rebels win a Hero mission, they get to bring that hero with them for the rest of the game (but the Imperial player gets a higher number of reinforcement points at the start of every mission). If the Imperial player wins a Villain mission, he or she can choose to add that villain to their deployment options but this will cost them a shitload of reinforcement points.

For example, in my campaign I had bough the General Weiss villain pack:

Image

Through game mechanics I can't quite remember, I forced the rebels to play this mission rather than a standard side mission (the campaign structure is main mission-side mission-main mission-side mission etc). I threw everything I had into winning it, as that would grant me the use of Weiss for the rest of the campaign. I spent a shitload of single use cards and resources to win, but I did. I could then use the General as I pleased. I never actually did because he was far too expensive, but it was nice to have the option.

Last edited by Tafdolphin on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:24 am

Rudolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:
Rudolphin wrote:
Hexx wrote:Chum is planning to run and Imperial Assault campaign next year



Have you tried the app yet? A group of us ran through the tutorial and first mission and it works really well. It's fiddly (and the first mission of the new campaign that comes with the app is loooooong) but it was a really interesting way to play.


Not played any of it.

Chum1 and I were briefly looking at it (as a co-op experience) when the App came out but on reading it was App only (and not main campaign) decided to wait.


Like I say there is a campaign included with the app. It's fun, and breaks up the mission with small "Choose your own adventure" interludes

Chum2 bought the Core Set on Amazon (£40!) last week and is going to run and campaign for 5 people from Boardgame group :D

I've been looking at the product line for the first time...xpacs are fairly simple - but what are Hero/Villians packs? More characters for people to play?


Not really. Sort of.

Each hero and villain pack comes with the character model, skirmish cards for skirmish mode and a special mission for campaign mode. This mission is shuffled into the campaign side missions and can be selected by the rebels or Imperial player (depending on whether its a villain or hero). The mission then needs to be won for the hero/villain to be used. If the rebels win a Hero mission, they get to bring that hero with them for the rest of the game (but the Imperial player gets a higher number of reinforcement points at the start of every mission). If the Imperial player wins a Villain mission, he or she can choose to add that villain to their deployment options but this will cost them a shitload of reinforcement points


Yeah but we thought "The App...look at all this IA content we can co-op". So a single campaign was a let down (although I'm sure more will be added)

H/V that's interesting. Chap wants to run the Core Campaign every 4 weeks or so - so we won't be looking at expacs for a long time...but sounds like a good way to do it.

Who should I try to be (or avoid) in the Core? The Wookie looks fun...

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:31 am

They're all good options, no rebel hero is a bust. Our group played with:

Garkhaan (Wookie): A strawberry floating hammer, tough as boot leather and does a shitload of damage. By the end he was essentially invincible and, as the Imperial player, I straight up avoided him

Diala (force user): The most annoying character I was up against. Although not a Jedi, she's as close as the game gets, and can flip around the map like a strawberry floating frog on steroids

Loku (Mon Calamari sniper): Actually a character from the Hoth expansion, but he was a great support character to have

Jyn Odan (rogue-like): Has the ability to interupt Imperial plays to take an attack of opportunity which got the rebels out of trouble many a time.

Other heroes:

Gideon (logistics): I played him in the App campaign. He's the mover. He can sacrifice one of his two actions and give it to another character which makes the whole team stronger. It also meant that playing him felt very passive however, and my turns were very short

Fenn (soldier): Your standard soldier type. Can become ridiculously overpowered very quickly.

Mak (sniper): Another sniper, don't really know his skills unfortunately.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am

Diala was the one I want to be based on quick read.
Gideon is the one I wanted to avoid.

Having no idea how mechanics work

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:44 am

Think XCOM, basically. The Rebels start at a prescribed point and have to do X (usually getting to a specific spot, in the Core Campaign). The Imperial player reads from the playbook and sets up their initial troops as ordered. The players then take it in turns to use their 2 actions. The round continues until all units have used their actions. Each mission is on a timer, usually around 5 or 6 rounds, and if that expires either something sinister occurs or the rebels lose (the mission descriptions will make it clear which applies)

It's easy once you get going, and there's some pretty deep RPG elements thanks to the equipment/skills upgrades, but definitely go through the tutorial and be prepared to be confused for a while. Sight lines. strawberry floating sight lines man.

Also, the story behind the core campaign is surprisingly strong.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:09 pm

Ah X-Com, Another game I haven't played

Still excited though :D

User avatar
Tafdolphin
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Tafdolphin » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm

You should be, it's bloody ace! The only thing I'd suggest is moving to a more regular play: we played every 2 weeks just so we remember what upgrades we all had and where we were in the narrative.

Gemini73 wrote:Yes your are a sanctimonious twat

Bloggy blog blog blog.

Night Call: a game what I worked on
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Rudolphin wrote:You should be, it's bloody ace! The only thing I'd suggest is moving to a more regular play: we played every 2 weeks just so we remember what upgrades we all had and where we were in the narrative.


Guy running it is young and actually has a busy social life (I know. The monster)

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:06 pm


User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Frank » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Says £31 for me :(

It's weird, the little choose your variant box says £13 but the actual price says £31.07 or whatever :?

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:38 pm

There’s was 9 when I ordered

Sorry babe

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Frank » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm

No wories hun x

Did you get one for £13? :cry:

Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:41 pm

I did.

If I got into Xwing I always said it’d be the proper non TFA set...but £13 quid!

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:47 pm

Frank wrote:No wories hun x

Did you get one for £13? :cry:


Another deal (not as good)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0759N ... +starcwars

User avatar
FatDaz
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by FatDaz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:46 am

Hexx wrote:
Frank wrote:No wories hun x

Did you get one for £13? :cry:


Another deal (not as good)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0759N ... +starcwars


That's on my Xmas list, hope the wife was paying attention to the hints I dropped. Just hope it doesn't get me like x wing or my wallet is screwed especially as this uses random card packs akin to loot boxes :dread: Could mean getting specific stuff is very costly

User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Trelliz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:50 am

FatDaz wrote:That's on my Xmas list, hope the wife was paying attention to the hints I dropped. Just hope it doesn't get me like x wing or my wallet is screwed especially as this uses random card packs akin to loot boxes :dread: Could mean getting specific stuff is very costly


Does it? All the boxes i've seen in shops have been for individual ships:

Image

Tragic Magic wrote:I'm giving esteem a name of crafty Fu mining pinitz strawberry float me I live roasted ponuts

Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hyperion » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:59 am

Is this all like Warhammer

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Board Game Thread
by Hexx » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:23 am

Trelliz wrote:
FatDaz wrote:That's on my Xmas list, hope the wife was paying attention to the hints I dropped. Just hope it doesn't get me like x wing or my wallet is screwed especially as this uses random card packs akin to loot boxes :dread: Could mean getting specific stuff is very costly


Does it? All the boxes i've seen in shops have been for individual ships:

Image



He says he hopes the card game doesn’t get its claws into him (like Xwing has) as the card game uses random boosters :p


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Rightey, Skarjo, Snowcannon and 54 guests