The Work Thread

Our best bits.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 pm

DML wrote:The Bradford Factor sounds like a gooseberry fool local version of the X Factor.


But it's the local yokel shittiness that makes it so damn fun to watch.

The Framley Examiner of talent shows.

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Tragic Magic » Sun May 20, 2018 10:57 pm

I'm just temping and that right now. Shite moolah but stress free and easy. Super boring though. Po po contacted me to apply for a finance role though so here's hoping.

Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Gemini73 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 am

Idiot bus driver didn't change his sign over so I ended up at Gloucester hospital rather than Cheltenham. Gave him a piece of my mind when I got off. strawberry floating pillock.

Now on my way back from Gloucester and will be late for work. Gave them a call and thankfully their fine.

Going back to using Stagecoach. Might cost more, but they're far more reliable than these cowboys.

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
Jenuall
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Jenuall » Mon May 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Gemini73 wrote:Idiot bus driver didn't change his sign over so I ended up at Gloucester hospital rather than Cheltenham. Gave him a piece of my mind when I got off. strawberry floating pillock.

Now on my way back from Gloucester and will be late for work. Gave them a call and thankfully their fine.

Going back to using Stagecoach. Might cost more, but they're far more reliable than these cowboys.


That sound pretty annoying. Marchants? I've only ever used Stagecoach locally - I'm not actually sure where any of the other buses actually go! :lol:

Although could you not tell the driver was going to Gloucester fairly early on in the journey? Although I guess there wasn't exactly going to be much you could do about it.

ImageImage
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Floex » Mon May 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Any advice on this would help me immensely here, so I’ve gone for a couple of job interviews, the first has already given me a job but I need to let them know soon as if I want the role. Just had an interview today and this place is much more in line with what I want to do. Trouble is if I get a reply I would have to go for another interview with one of the higher ups meaning I would have to delay the other one.

No way is the other going to hold on but you know it’s a job. I’ll guess it’ll become clear if I make it through to the next round.

Urgh, I ain’t sleep tonight on this :lol:

Gemini73
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Gemini73 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:19 pm

Jenuall wrote:
Gemini73 wrote:Idiot bus driver didn't change his sign over so I ended up at Gloucester hospital rather than Cheltenham. Gave him a piece of my mind when I got off. strawberry floating pillock.

Now on my way back from Gloucester and will be late for work. Gave them a call and thankfully their fine.

Going back to using Stagecoach. Might cost more, but they're far more reliable than these cowboys.


That sound pretty annoying. Marchants? I've only ever used Stagecoach locally - I'm not actually sure where any of the other buses actually go! :lol:

Although could you not tell the driver was going to Gloucester fairly early on in the journey? Although I guess there wasn't exactly going to be much you could do about it.


No, Pulhams and they're generally crap. Always late, even sometimes forgetting to stop at the Cheltenham P&R etc, which as the official NHS bus between the two hospitals is piss poor.

As for today there are no stops on the way, it's a straight run so I had to sit it out and then jump on the next bus to Cheltenham. :fp:

That was the last straw. Shan't use them again.

On a brighter note A&E is manic today. Just the way I like it. :)

“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here".
User avatar
OrangeRakoon
SONM Sec.
Joined in 2015
Location: Reading, UK
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by OrangeRakoon » Mon May 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Floex wrote:Any advice on this would help me immensely here, so I’ve gone for a couple of job interviews, the first has already given me a job but I need to let them know soon as if I want the role. Just had an interview today and this place is much more in line with what I want to do. Trouble is if I get a reply I would have to go for another interview with one of the higher ups meaning I would have to delay the other one.

No way is the other going to hold on but you know it’s a job. I’ll guess it’ll become clear if I make it through to the next round.

Urgh, I ain’t sleep tonight on this :lol:


Awkward situation to be in, if I was in that position I'd tell the second place that I already have a job offer. If they're interested and don't want to lose you then they may be able to speed things along.

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 pm

Yeah that is what I would do. Unless the second place was in some way a dead cert I wouldn't want to lose something I deffo have for something I may get.

User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Mon May 21, 2018 4:01 pm

Take the first job and leave it the other one bares fruit. Someone did that at our company :/

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon May 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Do you have a notice period you could use to bide your time while you wait to see what the other one has to offer? If not then yeah you might just have to go full bastard and screw them over a couple of weeks into the role (presuming the other one works out).

Image
User avatar
Floex
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Floex » Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 pm

I told the first place that I’d had some freelance this week to bide me sometime (I don’t) and I told the guys today if they are in anyway interested to let me know soon as. Tomorrow is I think where I’m going to hear something.

I don’t think I could go full bastard though, I’m sure that would bite me in the arse at a later date just leaving within the first week. Plus, it’s pretty unprofessional.

I’m just spinning plates here :lol:

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Frank » Wed May 23, 2018 8:37 am

Jenuall wrote:
Frank wrote:The problem now is I go to Companies House to try and set up as a company, and all the names I want are taken :slol: Someone give me some inspiration pls!


What kind of work do you do? I was looking at software development contracting and went pretty boring with my company name, it was just my own name with "Solutions" put on the end! :lol:


Yeah, I did this in the end. All the funky names I was thinking of were already taken and I needed something before the end of the week so just went with [NAME] Design, Ltd. Might change it at some point down the line if I can think of anything better, though.

Next hurdle is the business banking - Looking at various sites, but they've got maximum deposit values. Am I right in thinking that's the maximum you're actually allowed to pay into it a month without being charged (so if you're being paid £X an hour that'll all go into the account and count as a deposit)? Santander's business banking option gives you £1000 deposit, and for every £100 over you go you have to pay an extra 50p! :dread: Can you get around that by paying money out of the account so the net deposit is only £1000, but you've paid out like, a grand or so already? Might pop in to see them tomorrow, but I was hoping to get an account set up today so I can get it all signed off...

Image
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Wed May 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Frank wrote:
Jenuall wrote:
Frank wrote:The problem now is I go to Companies House to try and set up as a company, and all the names I want are taken :slol: Someone give me some inspiration pls!


What kind of work do you do? I was looking at software development contracting and went pretty boring with my company name, it was just my own name with "Solutions" put on the end! :lol:


Yeah, I did this in the end. All the funky names I was thinking of were already taken and I needed something before the end of the week so just went with [NAME] Design, Ltd. Might change it at some point down the line if I can think of anything better, though.

Next hurdle is the business banking - Looking at various sites, but they've got maximum deposit values. Am I right in thinking that's the maximum you're actually allowed to pay into it a month without being charged (so if you're being paid £X an hour that'll all go into the account and count as a deposit)? Santander's business banking option gives you £1000 deposit, and for every £100 over you go you have to pay an extra 50p! :dread: Can you get around that by paying money out of the account so the net deposit is only £1000, but you've paid out like, a grand or so already? Might pop in to see them tomorrow, but I was hoping to get an account set up today so I can get it all signed off...

I know for certain Barclays offer no fees for 1 year for startups. Your best option is to speak to a bank manager as there are various account offers for different types of businesses like online payments for eshops, BACs etc only, cash based and so on.

There are fees in some accounts, and all accounts after a year. But 50p is probably a lot less than the % you would normally be charged on ALL transactions.

It's another thing you need to project over the course of the year and add to your operating overheads. You will get tax relief on that.

Most businesses are rarely in credit for long and have a manager assigned, so that's how they make their money alongside business loans and overdrafts.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Fri May 25, 2018 7:33 pm



Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests