The Work Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Kezzer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:01 pm

it is for the same company and team that I work for. Its just a higher banding.

I have seen some literature that suggests I can get X amount, but I don't think that is what will be offered.

Mainly because the jump will be pretty reasonable.

Image
Image
Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V | The Photography Thread |
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Got a finally interview Wednesday.

The recruitment dude at the company has said it is an informal chat with the it director and is only 30 minutes, doesn't seem like an actual interview from the sounds of it just a chat so that the director has met me. Anyone else had a similar thing and can shed any light on what it may be ? Either way, fingers crossed I guess :D

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Tomous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Errkal wrote:Got a finally interview Wednesday.

The recruitment dude at the company has said it is an informal chat with the it director and is only 30 minutes, doesn't seem like an actual interview from the sounds of it just a chat so that the director has met me. Anyone else had a similar thing and can shed any light on what it may be ? Either way, fingers crossed I guess :D


I've been told that kinda thing and have had it go both ways. Sometimes the director has just wanted to sound out my personality and see if I'd be a good fit for the department. Other times it's been a formal interview with a proper grilling.

Best bet is to prepare as if it is going to be be a formal interview but follow the director's lead when you actually go in.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Tomous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:15 pm

Preezy wrote:Pretty sure employers can only ask for start and end dates of previous employment.


Yep, although I think it's more, that's all employers are prepared to confirm about previous employees to avoid any legal responsibility.

I really don't see how they could confirm your salary externally.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Death's Head » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:22 pm

Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:First paragraph: lie about your current salary so it's roughly the same as what they're offering/ should be offering.
I wouldn't recommend this. If they offer you a job and you accept, they will get your salary details and you could end up being dismissed for lying.

Are you sure? I was quite certain they don't find out your previous salary. Who would provide that info?
Doesn't the new employer require your P45 details to make sure income tax etc is correct?
If they know how much tax you've paid in the year so far, they can quite easily calculate your salary.

Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Death's Head » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 pm

I had something similar once and it was a terrible experience. I had an interview and got called back for a 2nd, and to meet the head of the company. When I went into his office he stood literally 2 feet away from me and it was strawberry floating awkward. I did get the job (I was told that he just wanted to meet me and it was already decided). I didn't however take the job in the end even thought I'd verbally accepted (not because of the awkwardness).

*edit* Thought I'd quoted Erkal, clearly not...

Yes?
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Tomous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:First paragraph: lie about your current salary so it's roughly the same as what they're offering/ should be offering.
I wouldn't recommend this. If they offer you a job and you accept, they will get your salary details and you could end up being dismissed for lying.

Are you sure? I was quite certain they don't find out your previous salary. Who would provide that info?
Doesn't the new employer require your P45 details to make sure income tax etc is correct?
If they know how much tax you've paid in the year so far, they can quite easily calculate your salary.



You don't have to give your P45 to a new employer. You can go through the tax office who will communicate with your employer for tax purposes. You may under/overpay tax until it's sorted though.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Tomous wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:First paragraph: lie about your current salary so it's roughly the same as what they're offering/ should be offering.
I wouldn't recommend this. If they offer you a job and you accept, they will get your salary details and you could end up being dismissed for lying.

Are you sure? I was quite certain they don't find out your previous salary. Who would provide that info?
Doesn't the new employer require your P45 details to make sure income tax etc is correct?
If they know how much tax you've paid in the year so far, they can quite easily calculate your salary.



You don't have to give your P45 to a new employer. You can go through the tax office who will communicate with your employer for tax purposes. You may under/overpay tax until it's sorted though.


No employer is going to bother going through a P45 to work out the annual salary that a new employee had at their previous job. :lol:

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Tomous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:First paragraph: lie about your current salary so it's roughly the same as what they're offering/ should be offering.
I wouldn't recommend this. If they offer you a job and you accept, they will get your salary details and you could end up being dismissed for lying.

Are you sure? I was quite certain they don't find out your previous salary. Who would provide that info?
Doesn't the new employer require your P45 details to make sure income tax etc is correct?
If they know how much tax you've paid in the year so far, they can quite easily calculate your salary.



You don't have to give your P45 to a new employer. You can go through the tax office who will communicate with your employer for tax purposes. You may under/overpay tax until it's sorted though.


No employer is going to bother going through a P45 to work out the annual salary that a new employee had at their previous job. :lol:


I think mostly you're right, and the majority of the time your P45 is just going to be processed by payroll but there's no harm in covering yourself, especially if you've exaggerated by a lot and negotiated hard.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Death's Head » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:First paragraph: lie about your current salary so it's roughly the same as what they're offering/ should be offering.
I wouldn't recommend this. If they offer you a job and you accept, they will get your salary details and you could end up being dismissed for lying.

Are you sure? I was quite certain they don't find out your previous salary. Who would provide that info?
Doesn't the new employer require your P45 details to make sure income tax etc is correct?
If they know how much tax you've paid in the year so far, they can quite easily calculate your salary.



You don't have to give your P45 to a new employer. You can go through the tax office who will communicate with your employer for tax purposes. You may under/overpay tax until it's sorted though.


No employer is going to bother going through a P45 to work out the annual salary that a new employee had at their previous job. [emoji38]
Think again.

Yes?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:First paragraph: lie about your current salary so it's roughly the same as what they're offering/ should be offering.
I wouldn't recommend this. If they offer you a job and you accept, they will get your salary details and you could end up being dismissed for lying.

Are you sure? I was quite certain they don't find out your previous salary. Who would provide that info?
Doesn't the new employer require your P45 details to make sure income tax etc is correct?
If they know how much tax you've paid in the year so far, they can quite easily calculate your salary.



You don't have to give your P45 to a new employer. You can go through the tax office who will communicate with your employer for tax purposes. You may under/overpay tax until it's sorted though.


No employer is going to bother going through a P45 to work out the annual salary that a new employee had at their previous job. [emoji38]
Think again.


Ok. No employer that people would want to work for is going to bother going through a P45 to work out the annual salary that a new employee had at their previous job. :lol:

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:04 pm

Errkal wrote:Got a finally interview Wednesday.

The recruitment dude at the company has said it is an informal chat with the it director and is only 30 minutes, doesn't seem like an actual interview from the sounds of it just a chat so that the director has met me. Anyone else had a similar thing and can shed any light on what it may be ? Either way, fingers crossed I guess :D

My worst experience of this was a speculative application where I was invited to chat with the co director. We sat down in the in-house cafe (it's an arts centre). The director showed up half way through out of nowhere, casually dressed, really loudly asking questions and swearing and throwing blunt one-liners like "What's your dream job?"

They couldn't place me. I went wearing a suit and everything so they were impressed but it was such a confusing experience I'm still not really sure what was going in there. I was quite pissed off really so I went back to my university, literally walked into the galleries department (this was after I had graduated) and ranted about it, left my CV and 18 months later or something I got employed there, after the guy I spoke to got fired of course.

I've also had a brief chat with people I already knew quite well and got employed after doing some freelance research. I guess it really depends how you play your cards in those situations, some people hire very casually if you remember that they are people and not just an entity looking for a list of stuff, even if that doesn't sound fair.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
"just put the button line about the message components div" - Official Errkal Sponsor 2017
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rocsteady » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Either way I've just started a new job and you definitely don't have to provide a P45.

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Green Gecko wrote:
Errkal wrote:Got a finally interview Wednesday.

The recruitment dude at the company has said it is an informal chat with the it director and is only 30 minutes, doesn't seem like an actual interview from the sounds of it just a chat so that the director has met me. Anyone else had a similar thing and can shed any light on what it may be ? Either way, fingers crossed I guess :D

My worst experience of this was a speculative application where I was invited to chat with the co director. We sat down in the in-house cafe (it's an arts centre). The director showed up half way through out of nowhere, casually dressed, really loudly asking questions and swearing and throwing blunt one-liners like "What's your dream job?"

They couldn't place me. I went wearing a suit and everything so they were impressed but it was such a confusing experience I'm still not really sure what was going in there. I was quite pissed off really so I went back to my university, literally walked into the galleries department (this was after I had graduated) and ranted about it, left my CV and 18 months later or something I got employed there, after the guy I spoke to got fired of course.

Things have been strawberry floating weird, at least I have at least some experience of pretty miuch all employment scenarios except those horrible sounding assessment centres with exams and stuff.


:lol:

Luckily I think I will be spared that, their I house recruiter has said it is just a short chat meeting to "see what I'm about" as opposed to a technical job interview, that was the other week and I nailed it, so hopefully it is just some do I fit the bigger picture thing. Tis for a fairly large company so can't see the director actually deciding on each hire or doing many of these as it would eat their time up so my guess it's a formality type thing of "I like to meet everyone we offer a job to, I know what goes on at ground level"

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Tomous » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Rocsteady wrote:Either way I've just started a new job and you definitely don't have to provide a P45.


Exactly. You can just let your employer sort it out with the tax office.

pjbetman
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: RE: Re: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by pjbetman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:First paragraph: lie about your current salary so it's roughly the same as what they're offering/ should be offering.
I wouldn't recommend this. If they offer you a job and you accept, they will get your salary details and you could end up being dismissed for lying.

Are you sure? I was quite certain they don't find out your previous salary. Who would provide that info?
Doesn't the new employer require your P45 details to make sure income tax etc is correct?
If they know how much tax you've paid in the year so far, they can quite easily calculate your salary.


The P45 will show earnings for the year to date also.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Errkal wrote:Luckily I think I will be spared that, their I house recruiter has said it is just a short chat meeting to "see what I'm about" as opposed to a technical job interview, that was the other week and I nailed it, so hopefully it is just some do I fit the bigger picture thing. Tis for a fairly large company so can't see the director actually deciding on each hire or doing many of these as it would eat their time up so my guess it's a formality type thing of "I like to meet everyone we offer a job to, I know what goes on at ground level"

This guy didn't even sit down and ignored my subsequent LinkedIn invite. Super awkward.

It was like, u wot in my company, better check this shiz and came bounding in like a Labrador with a beard wearing one of those tartan dog coats. Then it all went to gooseberry fool.

That's pretty accurate.

It was a shame because the lady was really nice. strawberry float knows what type you're going to meet when it comes to these "informal" chats. On the other hand a recruitment agency was really nice and was able to translate my drivel into actual saleable traits like "high attention to detail" rather than "rambles on about the most pointless things for 15 minutes".

Anyway hope it goes well for you, generally speaking I think it's good when you can negotiate work with people on a less pretentious level, it's really useful experience for stuff over the phone as well and it gives you a much better idea of the kind of people you are going to work with. I think it's easy to forget that work is just another type of relationship and if you can work with others there's no problem, more often than not it's more important because there are a lot of well trained people out there but with no passion, just plain dull or even sound good on paper but are patently thick as gooseberry fool, etc. It's not so good for the socially awkward types but if it's a sector where that's not uncommon like IT or art (honestly) it doesn't really matter. Wouldn't recommend an introvert gets into sales, for example.

Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
"just put the button line about the message components div" - Official Errkal Sponsor 2017
User avatar
Cheeky Devlin
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: The Dark And Lonely Regions, Where Nobody Goes.
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Cheeky Devlin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:44 am

Tomous wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Either way I've just started a new job and you definitely don't have to provide a P45.


Exactly. You can just let your employer sort it out with the tax office.

Working for HMRC, I can say that I would recommend providing the P45 if you have it.

Otherwise there's a good chance that the new employer could use the wrong tax code and you end up over or underpaying for that tax year.

The P45 would tell them what your tax code, earnings to date and tax paid to date for the current tax year are.

Just remember that it's your responsibility to make sure that you're paying the right tax, not your employer. They will just use whatever code they are told to use. The P45 tells them that. If they don't have that then they might just guess your code (risky) or put you on a Basic Rate (Where you get no tax free allowance and pay tax on the whole wage).

If you end up on the wrong code you'll need to call HMRC and discuss it with the Personal Taxes team who can issue codes to your employer to help sort any issues.

Check out some of our stuff!
Image Image Image

JOIN OUR MINECRAFT REALM HERE!
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rocsteady » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:52 am

I've just remained technically self employed as far as I'm aware so will have to do my own returns.

Image
User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Tomous » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

Cheeky Devlin wrote:
Tomous wrote:
Rocsteady wrote:Either way I've just started a new job and you definitely don't have to provide a P45.


Exactly. You can just let your employer sort it out with the tax office.

Working for HMRC, I can say that I would recommend providing the P45 if you have it.

Otherwise there's a good chance that the new employer could use the wrong tax code and you end up over or underpaying for that tax year.

The P45 would tell them what your tax code, earnings to date and tax paid to date for the current tax year are.

Just remember that it's your responsibility to make sure that you're paying the right tax, not your employer. They will just use whatever code they are told to use. The P45 tells them that. If they don't have that then they might just guess your code (risky) or put you on a Basic Rate (Where you get no tax free allowance and pay tax on the whole wage).

If you end up on the wrong code you'll need to call HMRC and discuss it with the Personal Taxes team who can issue codes to your employer to help sort any issues.


Yes, it's obviously going to be smoother providing a P45 but this is in the context of not wanting to tell your new employer your previous salary. Any tax issues can always be sorted and overpayments claimed back.


Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Adam231, andretmzt, Garth, lex-man, Qikz, satriales, Shug5891 and 55 guests