The Work Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Trelliz
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Trelliz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Moggy wrote::lol:


I'm glad someone got it :shifty:
Never pre-order or pre-purchase a console, game or season pass.
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:13 pm

<]:^D wrote:wait, you can be fired if you dont disclose that you were charged for a crime? even if it didnt go to court?
that seems a bit worrying...


I think he may have been caught doing something else recently also considering the police wanted his computer.

Also Trelliz I got it too.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:25 pm

Normally there is some kind of clause for bringing the company into disrepute, so it's probably a preventative decision. Anyway, there are hardly any employee rights any more so you can be fired for pretty much any reason at any time with no notice.

You're only obligated to disclose criminal or sometimes civil convictions, not charges, and only then if you're asked about them in a job application. There are plenty of employers that employ convicts, such as recently Virgin. If you were asked about them and you lied about or omitted them then usually you get fired for that as obviously it goes against the basic tenets of "honesty, reliability and integrity" that most references, for example, are about (I did those).
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Death's Head » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:06 pm

Trelliz wrote:
Moggy wrote:


I'm glad someone got it :shifty:

I also got it (the funny farm) but I didn't think anyone else would.
Yes?
User avatar
Wrathy
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Location: Location: Location:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Wrathy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:28 pm

As some may (maybe? I dunno) remember I'm on a grad scheme. Month 19 of 24. From month 13 I've been in a year long placement, which I've been doing pretty well! I like the work, do my projects, and generally just doing everything well - if a bit too quiet and not really shouting about the stuff I've been doing. I've been more applied and engaged with my job than in any of my previous rotations and doing loads more work than I'm contracted for - 12h days not uncommon etc. And in that time I've brought a project thats been talked about through to being delivered in stores as a test bed for a UK-wide launch and changed the way we bring new people into the business, among a lot of smaller stuff. Since I'm on a year long placement all these projects are either going into pilot, or proven and into the 'next steps' part, but ultimately still 'in flight' so that I could see the results in August and point to my achievements. Seems fair right?

The sector I work in (consumer sales / retail) had severe cuts (30%ish) and my team was impacted - so basically where there had been three people in my role, there are now two. as the youngest and least experienced and not from retail I was unsurprisingly the one who lost out. The other field teams have had the same reduction (from 3 to 2) and the divisions have been reduced from 4 to 3, so where there was a maximum of 12 there's now 6 (and even that is apparently too high). Ultimately, theres no job at the end of this for me. But despite rationalising it to myself, I'm still kind of pissed off about it. They've found me another role in the business and I'm starting on Monday but it really seems kind of off to me. basically I was approached by a senior manager (same level as my manager) and it was mentioned / skimmed around then in my performance review it was brought up and then I had another meeting with the first manager who told me I'm joining his team but my current manager thought it was more an 80:20 split. I don't really know what the new role is, what the day to day is, whether theres a job at the end of it (I'm under the impression there is, because why else would they pull me out now to upskill and integrate me into a new team?) etc. basically just seems a bit chaotic. The decision seems to have been made a couple of months ago, but it took a few weeks to filter through because of performance reviews and me wanting to hear it from my own manager before agreeing to anything.

What I'm wondering is if there's anything other people would think about whats happened here and what can you do with half-completed objectives when you're unable to see them through? I'm not ruling out leaving the company (partly due to this, but mainly due to wider concerns, personal growth prospects, salary, long term ambition to go back to Ireland etc) so basically I'm a bit concerned with how this will look on a CV etc?
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rocsteady » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Applying for jobs is taking away my will to live. If only I was a marketing ninja who lives and breathes making creative content for multinationals.


I've seen a few positions which are earmarked for those with disabilities and I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma. I've got a serious liver disease which often leaves me feeling exhausted, and Crohn's disease which hasn't responded to conventional treatment and means I have to gooseberry fool up to nine times a day. Which is also pretty exhausting. I've never registered for disabled but with these conditions obviously could. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it though; for one thing I've always seen myself as able-bodied despite the problems and I think I'd feel like a dick working alongside folk in wheelchairs or whatever while I'm muscle-bound and outwardly looking sprightly.

On the other hand I do worrry that if I don't mention it the 30 mins + in the bathroom and exhaustion that occurs many days will look pretty pathetic, or will just look like laziness.
Image
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Karl » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Mate, if your medical situation gives you any kind of disadvantage in the workplace then you should get that recognised IMO. No shame in it at all - my Uni is aware of my mental health issues, for instance - and I really don't think a guy in a wheelchair would be tutting about being 'more disabled' or whatever.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:34 pm

Rocsteady wrote:Applying for jobs is taking away my will to live. If only I was a marketing ninja who lives and breathes making creative content for multinationals.


I've seen a few positions which are earmarked for those with disabilities and I'm in a bit of a moral dilemma. I've got a serious liver disease which often leaves me feeling exhausted, and Crohn's disease which hasn't responded to conventional treatment and means I have to gooseberry fool up to nine times a day. Which is also pretty exhausting. I've never registered for disabled but with these conditions obviously could. I'm not sure if I can bring myself to do it though; for one thing I've always seen myself as able-bodied despite the problems and I think I'd feel like a dick working alongside folk in wheelchairs or whatever while I'm muscle-bound and outwardly looking sprightly.

On the other hand I do worrry that if I don't mention it the 30 mins + in the bathroom and exhaustion that occurs many days will look pretty pathetic, or will just look like laziness.

I've been here. Being disabled and living with that label while trying to live as an abled bodied person, basically, sucks. I would suggest doing what I did, and seeing if you can get help with making the application in your local community. There are charities that will help you do this, but they're splintery and different everywhere. It's so much easier to make a claim where someone else can help you figure out exactly how the disability affects you instead of trying to put it in your own words, where you're very likely to get shafted because you are used to presenting you self in the most positive and "able" light. They can speak for you so you don't have to worry about the words and unconsciously covering up stuff you don't want to admit is difficult. Is there a chron's charity somewhere you can go to? It's gooseberry fool advice but it's probably worth googling to see what is out there? There are charities representing all kinds of conditions and groups of conditions and no you don't have to be in a wheelchair. I did mine in person with a lovely guy (I claimed PIP which is effectively registering as disabled) and my application wasn't even contested. With what you've probably read about the disabled getting shafted by the government and Atos at the moment that's kind of amazing but also pretty humbling after struggling on my own for so long.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Slayerx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Have you ever wanted to leave a business because you see people withing the department just taking the piss and if you say something to a manager it's going to be obvious it's you ?

I'm not sure if just moving department is an option as I've seen it elsewhere and for a company trying to streamline it just underminds it and just annoys me no end that they do little to no work all day everyday.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:21 pm

I had a new employee who was working on freelance projects on company time/equipment on the machine I built which was super annoying. Eventually he got fired after I was asked about him but I didn't say just bad things I just gave my honest opinion. I never felt bad about it, they had protected themselves with a short term contract anyway.

I had a lot of clout however as I was the first employee, so working for a small company or startup (5 to 10) people is a better environment to handle that sort of thing. In retrospect it was really bad for morale and if it's wasting the company money well it's difficult to argue with that.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Slayerx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:27 pm

I have people on my team who come in late everyday go home on time and spend hours just surfing the net not working.

The frustrating thing is they have been here years if you challenge things about they people are quick to defend with there probably doing this or that and it's really starting to have a negative impact on me.

I work really hard only to be paid the same or less while they get away with it.

It's at least 3 people on a team of 12.
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Slayerx wrote:I have people on my team who come in late everyday go home on time and spend hours just surfing the net not working.

The frustrating thing is they have been here years if you challenge things about they people are quick to defend with there probably doing this or that and it's really starting to have a negative impact on me.

I work really hard only to be paid the same or less while they get away with it.

It's at least 3 people on a team of 12.


Not being funny, but if they're doing that and getting away with it. Why don't you do it as well? See how frustrated they get with you.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Slayerx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Qikz wrote:
Slayerx wrote:I have people on my team who come in late everyday go home on time and spend hours just surfing the net not working.

The frustrating thing is they have been here years if you challenge things about they people are quick to defend with there probably doing this or that and it's really starting to have a negative impact on me.

I work really hard only to be paid the same or less while they get away with it.

It's at least 3 people on a team of 12.


Not being funny, but if they're doing that and getting away with it. Why don't you do it as well? See how frustrated they get with you.


Corny as it sounds i don't have it in me to take advantage of the situation, im guilty of sometimes getting my work allocating done and then taking my time with additional work.

I don't know why it's started to bother me so much if I'm been honest, occasionally I'll get left in charge of the team but not in a manager capacity which can be just as frustrating.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lagamorph » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:19 pm

It really annoys me when I'm always 10-15 minutes early for work every day even though I live 75 miles away and work right up to finishing time, yet people who live about 10-20 miles away are regularly 15 minutes late, leaving 10 minutes early and never get pulled up on it.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rocsteady » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:25 pm

Start leaving a bit earlier? I like to work hard when I'm there but there's no reason to stay in work for longer than is necessary.
Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Hexx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Lagamorph wrote:It really annoys me when I'm always 10-15 minutes early for work every day even though I live 75 miles away and work right up to finishing time, yet people who live about 10-20 miles away are regularly 15 minutes late, leaving 10 minutes early and never get pulled up on it.


Don't hate the player, hate the game :datass:
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Squinty » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Slayerx wrote:I have people on my team who come in late everyday go home on time and spend hours just surfing the net not working.

The frustrating thing is they have been here years if you challenge things about they people are quick to defend with there probably doing this or that and it's really starting to have a negative impact on me.

I work really hard only to be paid the same or less while they get away with it.

It's at least 3 people on a team of 12.


I often find that these types of people are heavily into Union type stuff, or they are savvy enough with employment information that they can get away with it.

I worked with a guy years ago who was notorious for this. I hated that strawberry floater.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Death's Head » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Lagamorph wrote:It really annoys me when I'm always 10-15 minutes early for work every day even though I live 75 miles away and work right up to finishing time, yet people who live about 10-20 miles away are regularly 15 minutes late, leaving 10 minutes early and never get pulled up on it.

I remember this sort of thing when I worked in an office, I would describe these people (and the sort of people SlayerX is complaining about) as "freeloaders". Normally "strawberry floating freeloaders". It does usually get noticed though so take some comfort in knowing it doesn't end well.
Yes?
User avatar
Slayerx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Slayerx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:38 pm

Death's Head wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:It really annoys me when I'm always 10-15 minutes early for work every day even though I live 75 miles away and work right up to finishing time, yet people who live about 10-20 miles away are regularly 15 minutes late, leaving 10 minutes early and never get pulled up on it.

I remember this sort of thing when I worked in an office, I would describe these people (and the sort of people SlayerX is complaining about) as "freeloaders". Normally "strawberry floating freeloaders". It does usually get noticed though so take some comfort in knowing it doesn't end well.


I would like to share your outlook but they have worked here 5 years or more i haven't been on the team long but get the impression this has always just slipped under the radar.

Manager are pretty busy so i feel like this is being exploited to the max.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lagamorph » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:22 pm

Slayerx wrote:
Death's Head wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:It really annoys me when I'm always 10-15 minutes early for work every day even though I live 75 miles away and work right up to finishing time, yet people who live about 10-20 miles away are regularly 15 minutes late, leaving 10 minutes early and never get pulled up on it.

I remember this sort of thing when I worked in an office, I would describe these people (and the sort of people SlayerX is complaining about) as "freeloaders". Normally "strawberry floating freeloaders". It does usually get noticed though so take some comfort in knowing it doesn't end well.


I would like to share your outlook but they have worked here 5 years or more i haven't been on the team long but get the impression this has always just slipped under the radar.

Manager are pretty busy so i feel like this is being exploited to the max.

For me the issue is that the people doing it are shift workers, so 7-7, but the manager is 9-5 so never around when they're starting/finishing so it's much harder for it to be noticed.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests