The Work Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

I would never do any job where I had to interact with the general public in any way. I had 2 years of the banana splits at my first job, never again.

Image
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lagamorph » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Thank God I'm far away from service desk now. Could never go back to it.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Lastpostamorph wrote:Thank God I'm far away from service desk now. Could never go back to it.

I'm a little too close in my current role, as there are only 10 people in the company everyone has to pick the phone up at some point no matter how much I fight it.

It's part of what made me hate the place it just acts as a way to get in the way of everything is am meant to be doing.

Roll on next Tuesday when I will be way away from it again, although will be hated again as the annoying non ops person that's making gooseberry fool for ops to use and deciding stuff.

User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 am

Lastpostamorph wrote:Thank God I'm far away from service desk now. Could never go back to it.


Whenever I decide to move on I am not going to look for a service desk job. It's just too stressful for no reason other than people are complete and utter banana splits.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:38 am

Ad7 wrote:I would never do any job where I had to interact with the general public in any way. I had 2 years of the banana splits at my first job, never again.

The most lame thing I got from a random punter was they didn't believe my request for a character reference was genuine because anyone could call saying they were from some company and ask for one. Well, yes, that's what a character reference is. They said that they would respond to a letter. OK cool, you could answer a few questions to help your friend/family get a job now or I can write to you and you can write back and then type those questions into the same system, delaying the formal offer by probably a week. No problem. *generates and franks letter in 2 minutes*.

Some people want their lives to be hard.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Tragic Magic
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicester
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Tragic Magic » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 am

Not having a job is so weird. Life feels so surreal. I keep feeling like I'm on holiday and then reality hits me and I feel really out of sorts. I've applied for another job anyway and keeping my eyes open for more.

I feel like I should enjoy my free time while I have it but it just feels wrong knowing that everyone else I know is going to work.

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:21 am

If it helps I don't generally decide to work properly until after lunch.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Alvin Flummux » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:40 am

We had freezing rain last night, freezing on contact with ground that was already frozen solid from weeks of up to -30 wind chills. A tenth of an inch of ice was on the roads, pavements, grass, trees - everywhere. So naturally more than half our workforce called in (40 of 72 IIRC) and I was made to abandon my already seriously behind workload to spend my whole day scanning hundreds and hundreds of contracts, instead of staring blankly at my computer screen, looking busy, but not doing a whole lot of anything.

Stupid strawberry floating weather. :x

Twenty nights in the ice is a long time, when there's Hostiles On The Hill.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Paper contracts in 2017 2018.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Meep » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:26 pm

One of the most embarrassing 'interviews' I had today. Could not find the office so had to cancel. Half an hour later I realised the sign was in the doorway facing the opposite way from where I was looking to begin with. :fp: The worst thing is I applied for two other jobs with them and now I might as well give up on them because they probably think I'm a moron. Admittedly, it was one hell of a brain fart.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Image

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Meep wrote:One of the most embarrassing 'interviews' I had today. Could not find the office so had to cancel. Half an hour later I realised the sign was in the doorway facing the opposite way from where I was looking to begin with. :fp: The worst thing is I applied for two other jobs with them and now I might as well give up on them because they probably think I'm a moron. Admittedly, it was one hell of a brain fart.


haha tit, why did you not ask for directions ?

User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Meep » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:42 pm

I did. The receptionist was pretty useless at it and I somehow ended up even further off course. Actually I remember telling her I was outside a particular building that was directly beside the door leading up to them and she did not say so. More pissed off at losing half a days work for nothing now.

User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Had a managers meeting today where my boss explained everything what we can do (there's a projects manager, myself as 1st line manager and the guy above both of us who is the support team leader). I've got more power than I realised. We can basically do everything that doesn't involve officially warning people or firing them which is something I wouldn't want to be doing anyway. We've got a good team right now, it's just been horribly busy.

I've got so many ideas, I guess I just need to start communicating with the other managers and actually do them. If my plans are correct then we can stop shitty weeks like this happening.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
smurphy
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: A Little Cocky Child
Location: Scotland

PostRe: The Work Thread
by smurphy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:59 pm

Qikz wrote:We can basically do everything that doesn't involve officially warning people or firing them ... I've got so many ideas


Drunk with power already.

User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Qikz wrote:Had a managers meeting today where my boss explained everything what we can do (there's a projects manager, myself as 1st line manager and the guy above both of us who is the support team leader). I've got more power than I realised. We can basically do everything that doesn't involve officially warning people or firing them which is something I wouldn't want to be doing anyway. We've got a good team right now, it's just been horribly busy.

I've got so many ideas, I guess I just need to start communicating with the other managers and actually do them. If my plans are correct then we can stop shitty weeks like this happening.


Sexually harass them?

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Ad7 wrote:
Qikz wrote:Had a managers meeting today where my boss explained everything what we can do (there's a projects manager, myself as 1st line manager and the guy above both of us who is the support team leader). I've got more power than I realised. We can basically do everything that doesn't involve officially warning people or firing them which is something I wouldn't want to be doing anyway. We've got a good team right now, it's just been horribly busy.

I've got so many ideas, I guess I just need to start communicating with the other managers and actually do them. If my plans are correct then we can stop shitty weeks like this happening.


Sexually harass them?


Email them?

User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 pm

I thought being concierged or met and greeted at reception for an interview was a basic courtesy? Doesn't sound like a very organised place, they're far more likely to waste their own time.

RIP in peace Wii U | Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
Image
Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:31 pm

1 WEEK TO GO!

User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:06 am

I've got to stay an extra hour tomorrow to interview someone T_T

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alvin Flummux, Blue Eyes, Cuttooth, Denster, Errkal, Garth, Google [Bot], Irene Demova, King Chaz, Lagamorph, more heat than light, Oblomov Boblomov, Photek, Poser, satriales, Tragic Magic, Yahoo [Bot] and 62 guests