The Work Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lagamorph » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:14 am

I'm in IT and my official job is third line server support, but I spend most of my time working in various projects and occasionally working on SCCM server builds, along with maintaining a legacy MDT setup. And writing the odd Powershell script to at least partially automate tasks some of the other server guys do.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:33 am

Mdt :dread:

Used to have an environment at NHS that was used across Sussex, hate that software. Was well happy when we moved to ENGL. Made all the customisation much more manageable and let me do loads of new wizzy gooseberry fool.
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lagamorph » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:42 am

Yeah it's....not great, especially as it's been customised to hell and back by previous people. All I'm really doing with it is keeping it ticking over and slotting in new versions of software when absolutely necessary.
For Server 2016 at least we're keeping it strictly to SCCM and vCAC.

Never used ENGL though.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:45 am

Engl is cool, especially used with Novell / MicroFocus Zenworks. It has its own program language (Zim) that you can do load s of stuff and then because Zen stores "stuff" with the MBR you can write stuff their to be used in the windows side as system variables.

It means you only need 1 project per OS and can do near enough anything using the variables and things to pass information and stuff.

Very very flexible.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:06 am

I like how you put that :lol:
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: The Work Thread
by darksideby182 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:12 am

Frank wrote:
darksideby182 wrote:It seems like a lot of people on GRcade work in IT would be nice to know what most people do.

Myself I'm an Electrician.


I'm a CAD Engineer. I design bits for cars. Trying to convince work to get a Tesla Model X in so we can "benchmark" it :shifty:

That's sounds pretty cool I've noticed driving into London there is a new Tesla garage on the A4 Chiswick area.
Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: The Work Thread
by darksideby182 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:16 am

Should probably expand my job experience I worked for a major construction company where I did an apprenticeship ( heating and ventilation/electrical) but just over 3 years ago left them to work for a small company that does specialist electrical installations.
I mainly work in London but can be anywhere across the country so if you see a tower crane in London there will be a good chance I may be working on that construction site.
Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rocsteady » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:09 am

I'm an English teacher/freelance copywriter, although I've received a lot of praise from major organisations for my full-time work I'm ironically gooseberry fool at marketing myself so think I might try a new path soon.
Image
User avatar
Rhubarb
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rhubarb » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:24 pm

I think my official title is Business Analyst, but basically I just do a load of work figuring out how an undocumented and horrible mess of a legacy system calculates risk for a bank. It's really really shitty work but I'm a contractor and get paid alright for it :toot: :cry:
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by That's not a growth » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 pm

I'm looking for a little advice for something that might happen soon.

Basically, I work in a office/call centre in customer service, and over my time here I've slowly been accumulating more tasks and more responsibility, to the extent I'm now also the secondary for a head of department, and secondary for certain important tasks for another. I don't get paid extra for this, and I know from the experience of others asking for a pay rise won't work in my current circumstance. Also, things in general have been pretty quiet on the department due to other departments getting more efficient meaning we have less we need to fix.

A couple of weeks ago a manager came to mine asking to borrow someone for an important task since we're so quiet. I was offered up, and said it'd be something to do.

This department is in the process of rolling out to about 70 locations for a client, and they've fallen behind due to someone letting them down outside of the company.

I've taken over a good proportion of job of organising everything, getting all the info we need from the locations so we're fully prepared for the installs.

Last week the manager speak to me and let's me know him and the guy he works with are at a trade show all this week, so I'm basically running that part of things.

I have a feeling they planned to get me all along, rather that opening up the offer to anyone in the department like it seemed at the time. The manager has mentioned a couple of times he expects great things from me since he's heard from multiple people how good I was at helping them.

People in my department seem to think this will potentially progress to me joining that department, but I wouldn't want to do it unless I was paid more. I'm concerned they could try to make the transition gradual to make it more difficult for me to make this demand, and I'm also concerned if I say I wanted to stay in my current job they would bring up how there's no work for me to do there.

I think they covers what I want to say.
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:08 pm

That's not a growth wrote:I'm looking for a little advice for something that might happen soon.

Basically, I work in a office/call centre in customer service, and over my time here I've slowly been accumulating more tasks and more responsibility, to the extent I'm now also the secondary for a head of department, and secondary for certain important tasks for another. I don't get paid extra for this, and I know from the experience of others asking for a pay rise won't work in my current circumstance. Also, things in general have been pretty quiet on the department due to other departments getting more efficient meaning we have less we need to fix.

A couple of weeks ago a manager came to mine asking to borrow someone for an important task since we're so quiet. I was offered up, and said it'd be something to do.

This department is in the process of rolling out to about 70 locations for a client, and they've fallen behind due to someone letting them down outside of the company.

I've taken over a good proportion of job of organising everything, getting all the info we need from the locations so we're fully prepared for the installs.

Last week the manager speak to me and let's me know him and the guy he works with are at a trade show all this week, so I'm basically running that part of things.

I have a feeling they planned to get me all along, rather that opening up the offer to anyone in the department like it seemed at the time. The manager has mentioned a couple of times he expects great things from me since he's heard from multiple people how good I was at helping them.

People in my department seem to think this will potentially progress to me joining that department, but I wouldn't want to do it unless I was paid more. I'm concerned they could try to make the transition gradual to make it more difficult for me to make this demand, and I'm also concerned if I say I wanted to stay in my current job they would bring up how there's no work for me to do there.

I think they covers what I want to say.


I've not been in work long (only a year and a half) but honestly I think the only thing you can do is mention it to your bosses. If you feel that strongly about it, you need to talk to them.

Perhaps it's different to me as I work in a smaller company, but if you don't feel your getting paid enough for what you do, either speak to your bosses or look for a job elsewhere. They're not going to up your money if they think you're perfectly happy doing everything for them for what you're already on. It seems you either have to threaten to leave and try and get bargaining or actually just leave in bigger companies to ever think about getting a raise.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Red
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Aelfi
Location: The middle

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Red » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:13 pm

I'm an editor, currently a desk editor but moving into commissioning in a couple of weeks.
Coconut Bob wrote:You come across as feminine as a cave troll so its no wonder you have little concept of the way females should behave.

๏̯͡๏)
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Karl » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:18 pm

darksideby182 wrote:It seems like a lot of people on GRcade work in IT would be nice to know what most people do.


Cool idea, it's interesting seeing what everyone's job is.

I'm a researcher in computational biochemistry -- I split my time between software development, and then using that software to generate or analyse scientific data predicting or cataloguing how different chemicals affect the human body on a subcellular level.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 pm

I work in pension administration. And a little bit of me dies every time I admit that to somebody.
User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rax » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 pm

Im quality lead for an engineering team focused on cloud computing services.
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Drumstick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:20 pm

@TNAG

Tough one. From experience, I've known a couple of people in our contact centre that have been made unofficial supervisors with the promise of it becoming a permanent gig, only for it to fall through and later learning that they had been intentionally misled for 18 months without earning a single penny on top of their existing wage.

You say you've been doing work on these installs for a couple of weeks. How much longer are the people in charge of the installs likely to need your services for?
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster / Drummy

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Drumstick » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 pm

I am a data and reporting analyst. I dick around in Excel most of the day.
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by That's not a growth » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Drumstick wrote:@TNAG

Tough one. From experience, I've known a couple of people in our contact centre that have been made unofficial supervisors with the promise of it becoming a permanent gig, only for it to fall through and later learning that they had been intentionally misled for 18 months without earning a single penny on top of their existing wage.

You say you've been doing work on these installs for a couple of weeks. How much longer are the people in charge of the installs likely to need your services for?


That's a worry for me, which is why I've been thinking about this.

There's been no talk about time. It was just presented as "we need a little help on this" and I asked my manager if this was a one time thing which at the time she said yes. They haven't mentioned about needing me during the time of installs, everything we've talked about has basically been information gathering, so in theory that's a good line for me to draw. It would depend on how they approach me about it, though.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:15 pm

In my experience you want to be very careful about offering work that is outside your contracted remit because there is a high chance you will either burn out or become immensely unsatisfied with the fact you are doing more work than you are obligated to do, and not getting paid for it. It can eventually turn against you because if you become frustrated or exhausted with doing this, whether that is because you don't have the proper resources or you aren't able to manage the extra work emotionally or energetically or whatever, that will be reflected in all of the work you do and you might end up under-performing and risking your job, never mind your self esteem. You are right to be concerned.

This still happens to me on a freelance basis quite often as my default position is usually as a "helper" of some sort; the difference is I can quit at any point and have other work to do or generate.

I have had conversations with a few people in the past where it boils down to one of two things, asking for extra hours/remuneration/benefits or a solid agreement that you will be rewarded in some tangible way, or developing the ability to simply say, "no, sorry I can't do that with the resources I have". For example if a client doesn't have a contract with me or at the very least a verbal agreement that to do this extra stuff this requisite (i.e. payment, incoming work/support) needs to be met, the answer is thanks but no thanks. That's fair game, or it's incredibly easy to get used. Normally in this situation if you establish a sound negotiating scenario, you protect your interests first, your integrity or both. While some people will be offended by this because they are used to walking over other people, others will generally respect you more and it becomes easier to ask for things instead of everything being demanded of you in a one-sided manner. After all, nobody has to do work for someone else doing anything, unconditionally. You have a working agreement and a set of expectations you agree to when taking on any job. If you do just do what you're told even when it's impractical or unfair (obviously there's an extent to which you might do people "favours" or step in for somebody else), eventually you're going to end up worse off. You have to make sure others keep up their side of the bargain.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by That's not a growth » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Green Gecko wrote:In my experience you want to be very careful about offering work that is outside your contracted remit


You've said a lot of good stuff, so thanks Gecko, but I wanted to point out this bit in particular because this is the basis for my worry, I think. I don't really have a list of duties in my contract, and my day to day job can vary a fair bit. It's very common in the company for staff to be given new tasks without being compensated for them. However, this is for a completely different department, which makes this a bit more unique which helps.

Where do I draw the line from helping another department because I think there's a possibility it will work in my favour (keeping in mind I'm not having to do my regular job while I do this if I feel I'm too busy, so I'm not going to be over worked), to it becomes I'm doing a job I'm not being paid for. Refusing to do anything because I'm not being paid for it is the best way to make sure I'm seen as a lazy git who only cares about himself, and no one wants to work with that kind of person and I've seen plenty who are like that who basically get pushed to a corner, until they can get rid of them, in multiple work places. And a good way to get a job is to know how to do it, and to be already doing it well, so you're the only choice. Jobs rarely get posted for people to apply for and are normally filled this sort of way here, too. It's a very annoying environment in that regard. They just kind of feel they need a job doing, and already have someone in mind for it.

It could very well be I'm wrong, and in a week or so they won't need me any more. I wouldn't want to jump the gun and bring this up too soon only to find out I'm misreading the situation, and also I wouldn't want them to think I planned to wait until a really inconvenient time in a late stage of the project to try and strong arm them into giving me a job when I didn't realise we only had 2 weeks of work left and they didn't need any help after that point.

I think at the moment the only thing I can do is wait a week for them to come back into the country, see where things are once we finish the stage we're on which should hopefully happen within a few days of then. I'll grab a quick chat with my manager and try to find out how much she knows too, I think.

I'm rambling and over thinking this I imagine.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests