The Work Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The Work Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 pm

bigcheez2k3 wrote:
darksideby182 wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:Are we still saying what our jobs are?

I'm currently a driver for a fashion company. Drive around London doing deliveries or watching Netflix on my phone.

However, that does not make enough money to survive in London so I have applied for an apprenticeship with Network Rail so I can become an engineer.

Good luck with the apprenticeship, Network rail should be good for getting the right experience.


Thanks :D Looks pretty interesting from what I've been reading and being in London there is loads of trains so hopefully no shortage of work.

Lagamorph wrote:Experience at going on strike anyway ;)


:lol: Pretty sure that's the operators like Southern, not Network Rail. Or the unions on the underground.

Sounds great! Best of luck and I really hope you get it :) How old are you btw and have you gone to uni etc?
I think apprenticeships are great and once your in have your foot in the door especially at such a big company like Network Rail...the opportunities will be endless.
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The Work Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Does anyone ever feel like they are stuck with their job? I can't imagine just turning up for work at the same building for the rest of my life. I'm working at an energy company doing a decent job. But Im just not sure if its for me and constantly feel that I want to do something else. Sometimes I just feel like a fake...like I learn a few minimum skills to do the job and thats it.

Another main issue I have is the location and I just want to move to London but not sure how to go about it. Well obviously a job...I know what I need to do though and that is to approach a firm like Reed with my CV and see what they have to offer.

So far I have been doing engineering work...running analysis and studies to connect new customers and businesses to our electricity network. But last year I was put on a secondment for an IT project. Its been a huge change from doing only engineering (performing studies on my desk all day with only moderate interaction with other people)....to completing a lot of different tasks and getting to work with consultants from big companies like Accenture. Its difficult to sum up the kind of experience I am gaining but it feels more like a normal corporate job at the moment.

I just don't know what to make of my work experience/skills. It seems to be a random selection of different things. Nothing concrete that comes with a specific qualifications to confidently define my knowledge...I just have my degree.

I just think I want a career change (move to London too) to something more concrete something that carries professional qualifications that will easily allow me to work all over the country. But I haven't built up the courage to make that change yet and keep wallowing over it with thoughts like having to start over with a pay cut (been at current company/career for just over 3.5 years) :/.
User avatar
bigcheez2k3
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by bigcheez2k3 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 am

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:
darksideby182 wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:Are we still saying what our jobs are?

I'm currently a driver for a fashion company. Drive around London doing deliveries or watching Netflix on my phone.

However, that does not make enough money to survive in London so I have applied for an apprenticeship with Network Rail so I can become an engineer.

Good luck with the apprenticeship, Network rail should be good for getting the right experience.


Thanks :D Looks pretty interesting from what I've been reading and being in London there is loads of trains so hopefully no shortage of work.

Lagamorph wrote:Experience at going on strike anyway ;)


:lol: Pretty sure that's the operators like Southern, not Network Rail. Or the unions on the underground.

Sounds great! Best of luck and I really hope you get it :) How old are you btw and have you gone to uni etc?
I think apprenticeships are great and once your in have your foot in the door especially at such a big company like Network Rail...the opportunities will be endless.


Thanks :D

I'm 26 and I didn't go to uni as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I also can't learn in that type of environment, I realised this while at college. Apprenticeships however can let me learn while doing it which I am much more receptive to.

I really hope I get it as I've been into engineering my whole life, it just took me a while to realise it. I was the kid that watched cartoons or Discovery channel to see how ships were built. I was on a date a few days ago and while wandering around near London bridge I was fascinated by all the stuff they are doing for Crossrail.
Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:


I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

My Uncle is a Manager for the South East at Network Rail and my cousin is a MOM. (He just qualified for it) so if you've got any questions I can see if I can find out something for you.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: The Work Thread
by darksideby182 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

bigcheez2k3 wrote:
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:
darksideby182 wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:Are we still saying what our jobs are?

I'm currently a driver for a fashion company. Drive around London doing deliveries or watching Netflix on my phone.

However, that does not make enough money to survive in London so I have applied for an apprenticeship with Network Rail so I can become an engineer.

Good luck with the apprenticeship, Network rail should be good for getting the right experience.


Thanks :D Looks pretty interesting from what I've been reading and being in London there is loads of trains so hopefully no shortage of work.

Lagamorph wrote:Experience at going on strike anyway ;)


:lol: Pretty sure that's the operators like Southern, not Network Rail. Or the unions on the underground.

Sounds great! Best of luck and I really hope you get it :) How old are you btw and have you gone to uni etc?
I think apprenticeships are great and once your in have your foot in the door especially at such a big company like Network Rail...the opportunities will be endless.


Thanks :D

I'm 26 and I didn't go to uni as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I also can't learn in that type of environment, I realised this while at college. Apprenticeships however can let me learn while doing it which I am much more receptive to.

I really hope I get it as I've been into engineering my whole life, it just took me a while to realise it. I was the kid that watched cartoons or Discovery channel to see how ships were built. I was on a date a few days ago and while wandering around near London bridge I was fascinated by all the stuff they are doing for Crossrail.

Done a bit of work on Crossrail at pudding milllane the company i work for have done quite abit over the whole of Crossrail.
Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Rhubarb
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rhubarb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:29 pm

Tafdolphin wrote:In fact, looking over my last message I do come across like my life is falling apart when in reality it's only my job I'm unhappy with. I have a girlfriend I love, friends who are excellent, and a setup I'm happy with. The only sour point is waking every morning with a start, realising I have to start over the slog of work.


Is this not normality for most people? I know that perfectly describes me and most of my friendship circle.

I took 3 months off work last year and it was absolutely heavenly.
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Oblomov Boblomov » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Is it not something of a personal responsibility to get yourself into a job you enjoy, though?

I moved on from a job I enjoyed a few months ago and right now I feel as though it was a mistake. I'm going to take stock, persevere for a few more months and if I'm still not happy I will move on and try again.

I see so many people who just moan about their current circumstances but don't even try to do something about it.
Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lotus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Is it not something of a personal responsibility to get yourself into a job you enjoy, though?

I moved on from a job I enjoyed a few months ago and right now I feel as though it was a mistake. I'm going to take stock, persevere for a few more months and if I'm still not happy I will move on and try again.

I see so many people who just moan about their current circumstances but don't even try to do something about it.

Derailing the conversation slightly...whatever happened with you and that 'situation' at work, where you were waiting for your manager to come back from an absence and discuss - did it all work out?
Image ImageImage
User avatar
Rhubarb
Member
Joined in 2013

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Rhubarb » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:00 pm

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Is it not something of a personal responsibility to get yourself into a job you enjoy, though?

I moved on from a job I enjoyed a few months ago and right now I feel as though it was a mistake. I'm going to take stock, persevere for a few more months and if I'm still not happy I will move on and try again.

I see so many people who just moan about their current circumstances but don't even try to do something about it.


I've had a range of different jobs within the IT industry since graduating and I wouldn't say I've enjoyed any of them - although half have been banking based which might be the issue! I do also suspect that as soon as something becomes "work" and I'm obliged to do it, I slowly end up in a headspace where it's impossible to enjoy.
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The Work Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:58 pm

bigcheez2k3 wrote:Thanks :D

I'm 26 and I didn't go to uni as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I also can't learn in that type of environment, I realised this while at college. Apprenticeships however can let me learn while doing it which I am much more receptive to.

I really hope I get it as I've been into engineering my whole life, it just took me a while to realise it. I was the kid that watched cartoons or Discovery channel to see how ships were built. I was on a date a few days ago and while wandering around near London bridge I was fascinated by all the stuff they are doing for Crossrail.

Even with a degree it took me until I was 26 before I got my first graduate job. The job market is so tough. With apprentices you are getting paid to learn so it seems so much better.
Yes theres so much going on in London at the moment...engineers will be really busy and sought after. You sound very inspired.
Well good luck and apply to more than one company maybe to increase your chances of getting a place.
User avatar
No:1 Final Fantasy Fan
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: UK

PostRe: The Work Thread
by No:1 Final Fantasy Fan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Is it not something of a personal responsibility to get yourself into a job you enjoy, though?

I moved on from a job I enjoyed a few months ago and right now I feel as though it was a mistake. I'm going to take stock, persevere for a few more months and if I'm still not happy I will move on and try again.

I see so many people who just moan about their current circumstances but don't even try to do something about it.


I've had a range of different jobs within the IT industry since graduating and I wouldn't say I've enjoyed any of them - although half have been banking based which might be the issue! I do also suspect that as soon as something becomes "work" and I'm obliged to do it, I slowly end up in a headspace where it's impossible to enjoy.

Thanks its nice to hear others experiences. I need to really sort my job out and make some changes. In your recent move did you change industry completely?
User avatar
bigcheez2k3
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by bigcheez2k3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:07 am

darksideby182 wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:
*snip*


Thanks :D

I'm 26 and I didn't go to uni as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I also can't learn in that type of environment, I realised this while at college. Apprenticeships however can let me learn while doing it which I am much more receptive to.

I really hope I get it as I've been into engineering my whole life, it just took me a while to realise it. I was the kid that watched cartoons or Discovery channel to see how ships were built. I was on a date a few days ago and while wandering around near London bridge I was fascinated by all the stuff they are doing for Crossrail.

Done a bit of work on Crossrail at pudding milllane the company i work for have done quite abit over the whole of Crossrail.[/quote]

Oh cool. What were you doing? I noticed in East London they have a Tunnelling and Underground Construction Academy and I fangirl a little everytime I drive past.

Qikz wrote:My Uncle is a Manager for the South East at Network Rail and my cousin is a MOM. (He just qualified for it) so if you've got any questions I can see if I can find out something for you.


Thanks :) If I get it I'll most likely be in a depot in SE London as the nearest is only 10 minutes away.

No:1 Final Fantasy Fan wrote:
bigcheez2k3 wrote:Thanks :D

I'm 26 and I didn't go to uni as I didn't know what I wanted to do. I also can't learn in that type of environment, I realised this while at college. Apprenticeships however can let me learn while doing it which I am much more receptive to.

I really hope I get it as I've been into engineering my whole life, it just took me a while to realise it. I was the kid that watched cartoons or Discovery channel to see how ships were built. I was on a date a few days ago and while wandering around near London bridge I was fascinated by all the stuff they are doing for Crossrail.

Even with a degree it took me until I was 26 before I got my first graduate job. The job market is so tough. With apprentices you are getting paid to learn so it seems so much better.
Yes theres so much going on in London at the moment...engineers will be really busy and sought after. You sound very inspired.
Well good luck and apply to more than one company maybe to increase your chances of getting a place.


There really is so much going. Currently I drive around London all day for my job so I get to see all the projects and just stare at them amazed like a small child.
Preezy wrote:She's the hottest thing to come out of the Ukraine since the Chernobyl fallout cloud :shifty:


I didded a youtube thing Clicky!
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: The Work Thread
by darksideby182 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:37 am

Electrical work Bigcheez2k3
Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Oblomov Boblomov » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 am

Lotus wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:Is it not something of a personal responsibility to get yourself into a job you enjoy, though?

I moved on from a job I enjoyed a few months ago and right now I feel as though it was a mistake. I'm going to take stock, persevere for a few more months and if I'm still not happy I will move on and try again.

I see so many people who just moan about their current circumstances but don't even try to do something about it.

Derailing the conversation slightly...whatever happened with you and that 'situation' at work, where you were waiting for your manager to come back from an absence and discuss - did it all work out?

I was never told what happened :fp:.

My direct line manager had already given me all sorts of reassurances, so I wasn't as concerned as I had been at the time. The Director came back and presumably at some point the two of them had the discussion, but I never heard anything and it feels as though it's now been too long for me to bring it up again!
Image
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lotus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Oh. Well yes, best not poke the bear! Glad nothing seemed to come of it.
Image ImageImage
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:45 am

That moment when you put in for PTO and your boss asks you if it's for an interview, you reply yes jokingly, and it actually is for an interview.
User avatar
That's not a growth
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by That's not a growth » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 am

PTO?
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 am

Paid time off.
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Oblomov Boblomov » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:35 pm

PTO as in the annual leave PTO.
Image
User avatar
Kezzer
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Kezzer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 pm

ENOUGH WITH THESE TLA's
Image
Image
Image

Check out the Digital Combat Simulator thread for some hardcore aerial combat! | Mumble | PCGT V |

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Frank, Garth, HSH28, Hulohot, Kanbei, lex-man, Minty14, Preezy, Snowcannon, wensleydale, Zellery and 56 guests