The Work Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
<]:^D
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by <]:^D » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:57 pm

taking from one pocket to put it the other :lol:
that self-employed life :(
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:17 pm

I get 21 days holiday which isn't so bad. I wish it were more though.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 pm

I work compressed hours (I do 5 days in 4) and so my holiday is on a pro-rata basis. I get 25 days and we have the option of buying up to 5 more per year. I usually buy 3 to give me a full 7 weeks a year.
User avatar
Lotus
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lotus » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 pm

In my current place I get 25 days, plus the Bank Holidays etc. We close between Christmas and New Year as well so that's usually 3 or so extra. In previous places I had 28 plus the BHs, and could buy/sell holiday, carry over up to 5 days, etc, but I usually struggle to use all my days anyway so my current quota is fine with me.
Image ImageImage
User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Lagamorph » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:42 pm

That's not a growth wrote:It's very well boasting about you enjoying the way your shift patterns can work with time off, but the point of saying how much leave you get in a year is that you're saying how much paid time off you're getting. So even if you get 12 days off for using 4 days holiday, you're still only getting paid for 4 of those 12 days. If I take 5 days paid leave, I have 9 days off. This sounds worse until it's reworded as you get 33% of that time paid, but I'll get 55% of mine. Hell, if free time is your primary concern then just go part time.

Stay jelly ;)

If I went 9-5 I'd end up getting paid the same overall but have less time off.
Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Karl » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Off the top of my head I think I get 28 days. I probably end up only taking 15 per year formally, but I work from home a lot, so I don't feel like I have to use up leave outside of booking whole weeks off for holidays or whatever.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Hexx » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Moggy wrote:I work compressed hours (I do 5 days in 4) and so my holiday is on a pro-rata basis. I get 25 days and we have the option of buying up to 5 more per year. I usually buy 3 to give me a full 7 weeks a year.


I'm confuddled - if you work (I'm assuming) flexi hours do to 5 equiv in 4 - why are your holidays pro-rataed?
You're working full wack?


I get 28 holiday + statutaory (been in ages). We don't close other than Xmas/New year though so that's a long period
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Hexx wrote:
Moggy wrote:I work compressed hours (I do 5 days in 4) and so my holiday is on a pro-rata basis. I get 25 days and we have the option of buying up to 5 more per year. I usually buy 3 to give me a full 7 weeks a year.


I'm confuddled - if you work (I'm assuming) flexi hours do to 5 equiv in 4 - why are your holidays pro-rataed?
You're working full wack?


It's a boring calc to work it all out, but basically they pro-rata the holiday, then add on all the bank holidays and then I have to book off any bank holidays that fall on a day that I would work on.

It works out about the same as my "full time" equivalent (I'm actually better off as I don't work Mondays). Otherwise I'd be getting 20% more holiday than everyone else.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:36 pm

<]:^D wrote:taking from one pocket to put it the other :lol:
that self-employed life :(

Indeed. Last time I came into some money I thought about visiting family in Japan again or some kind of holiday. Nope, I'll jump forward a few years in the master plan and spend literally all of it in one go on a machine.

Oh well, at least I can probably make myself replacement arms if they fall off.

Before I had statutory paid only. I didn't take any holiday all year, a large part of which during I was the only employee besides directors, and then I went part time. So it added up to like a month of holiday. :lol:
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:55 pm

23 paid, my birthday off paid ( i know its really 1 extra day but i'll take it) and the usual holidays. We can also buy 3 extra days at the start of the year at a reduced salary sacrifice which i'll be doing as you can't say no to more holiday.
User avatar
Cuttooth
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Cuttooth » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Ad7 wrote:23 paid, my birthday off paid ( i know its really 1 extra day but i'll take it) and the usual holidays. We can also buy 3 extra days at the start of the year at a reduced salary sacrifice which i'll be doing as you can't say no to more holiday.

Say what? I've never heard of this before.
User avatar
Green Gecko
Director
Joined in 2008
Location: Sussex
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Green Gecko » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:08 pm

Considering the gooseberry fool you have to deal with in design from busybodies, knowitalls and executive management (usually the client that considers themselves executive management and can overthrow all decisions even when they signed a contract to a completely different effect) you damn well should get your birthday off.
Support GRcade | t: @GRcade | FB: GRcadeUK | YT: GRcadeVideo | Twitch: GRcadeUK
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:10 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Ad7 wrote:23 paid, my birthday off paid ( i know its really 1 extra day but i'll take it) and the usual holidays. We can also buy 3 extra days at the start of the year at a reduced salary sacrifice which i'll be doing as you can't say no to more holiday.

Say what? I've never heard of this before.


We get that too! Our companies give us our birthday off as an extra day of paid holiday. :toot:
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Ad7 wrote:23 paid, my birthday off paid ( i know its really 1 extra day but i'll take it) and the usual holidays. We can also buy 3 extra days at the start of the year at a reduced salary sacrifice which i'll be doing as you can't say no to more holiday.

Say what? I've never heard of this before.


He was born on a Sunday.
User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Drumstick » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:03 pm

25 days + bank holidays and I have the option to work from home if need be (such as this morning).
One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:05 pm

What if your birthday falls on a weekend? Ether way, surely it's better to have an extra day of annual leave and then choose if you want to use it on your birthday or not.
Image
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:28 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:What if your birthday falls on a weekend? Ether way, surely it's better to have an extra day of annual leave and then choose if you want to use it on your birthday or not.


Then it gets moved to the next working day, or you can delay it till the next Friday and have a long weekend.
User avatar
still
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by still » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 am

Holidays?, lol! Only when it pours down, like today. And no workie, no money!
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Qikz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:04 pm

I know I've mentioned being ill a lot, but I'm genuinely worried about something. I went in today to work, lasted about 3 hours before my boss said go home and get better. This is all well and good and I'm glad I could come home, but I'm really worried about my wages this month. I've only been off 2 (and now about 2 and a half) days and I'm really worried how it's going to affect my wages.

According to my contract I only get SSP and no more than that, but I don't really understand how it works and was never taught about it. I've only actually taken 2 days off sick in my entire 2 years prior before so I never noticed anything, but I should be fine right? I'm worried that if I get SSP for a week them I'm not going to be able to afford my rent/bills at the end of the month. God I feel so stupid.
Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Hexx » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Qikz wrote:I know I've mentioned being ill a lot, but I'm genuinely worried about something. I went in today to work, lasted about 3 hours before my boss said go home and get better. This is all well and good and I'm glad I could come home, but I'm really worried about my wages this month. I've only been off 2 (and now about 2 and a half) days and I'm really worried how it's going to affect my wages.

According to my contract I only get SSP and no more than that, but I don't really understand how it works and was never taught about it. I've only actually taken 2 days off sick in my entire 2 years prior before so I never noticed anything, but I should be fine right? I'm worried that if I get SSP for a week them I'm not going to be able to afford my rent/bills at the end of the month. God I feel so stupid.


You get no sick days? Just straight on to SSP?

SSP is like £90 a week - but IIRC it's only after youve been off work for few days in a row ...

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, bear, Bing [Bot], Denster, Errkal, Kanbei, KjGarly, Lagamorph, mcjihge2, Met, Miguel007, Poser, PurplePenguin, Skippy, Snowcannon, Squinty, teh bork, That's not a growth and 40 guests