The Work Thread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
Ad7
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Ad7 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:43 am

The temp contract job I had in between the redundancy and this one.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:59 am

Ahh I see. Unless you hated it there then a £6k pay rise is a lot to turn down just because you think they should have paid it to you when you were a temp.

User avatar
andretmzt
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Lincolnshire

PostRe: The Work Thread
by andretmzt » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 am

We got offered a new pay deal at work earlier this week. I don't think the union were quite expecting the reaction though. The office has imploded over it. I haven't seen so many people complaining in all my life. It's been great fun reading all the fallout from the offer, basically done nothing else all week.

The best bit will be after I come back from leave in two weeks. I half expect to find that the office has been burnt down when I get back. :lol:

HSH28 wrote:No Last Guardian.
No new exclusive PS4 games.
No longer free MP for PS4.

Microsoft win E3.
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Johnny Ryall » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:06 pm

You fine folks got much experience moving a government mandated NEST pension into a company run one (if that even makes sense)? It sounds confusing as heck and I don't know if I even plan living long enough to collect it but all my colleagues who have new contracts are moving their pensions and I feel left out. :shifty:

User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: The Work Thread
by OnlyShallow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Dodged the redundancy bullet this morning. :dread:

Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for about 60 (probably more) of my colleagues. :(

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Moggy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:You fine folks got much experience moving a government mandated NEST pension into a company run one (if that even makes sense)? It sounds confusing as heck and I don't know if I even plan living long enough to collect it but all my colleagues who have new contracts are moving their pensions and I feel left out. :shifty:


I don’t know anything about NEST, but I have worked in pensions for years now.

What do you want to know?

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Hexx » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Johnny Ryall wrote:You fine folks got much experience moving a government mandated NEST pension into a company run one (if that even makes sense)? It sounds confusing as heck and I don't know if I even plan living long enough to collect it but all my colleagues who have new contracts are moving their pensions and I feel left out. :shifty:


Depends what you're asking (and I only know a little)

NEST is a quasi government scheme.

When you say "Company Run" assume you mean private provider (Standard Life, AEGON, etc)

NEST will almost certainly be an "Auto Enrollment Scheme" (I don't think it an be anything else) - you pay in so much, and your employer pays in. If you opt out you're automatically re-enrolled unless you opt out again. It's got OK charges.

The other scheme - is this something your company arranged? Is it Auto Enrollment? Are they company contributions? Or is it just another scheme? Losing out on employer contributions and being auto enrolled can matter? How's it charged?

I'm asssuming new contract means you employer has arranged something new/different for some staff (it would still have to meet government requirements - they apply to firms whether they use NEST or a private provider...)

You can only move your NEST scheme (IIRC) if you stop contributing - so consider that.

Actually moving should be relatively easy - people move pension pots around all the time (don't do it on a whim - investigate charges, investment options etc).

User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: The Work Thread
by darksideby182 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:00 pm

I have a NEST pension , I put in money and so does my employer every year for the first three years the contributions increase on both sides (that will be worked out between yourself and your employer).
It's a pretty standard pension that the government has been pushing.

Last edited by darksideby182 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Hexx » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:07 pm

darksideby182 wrote:I have a NEST pension , I put in money and so does my employer every for the first three years the contributions increase on both sides (that will be worked out between yourself and your employer)


The base rate of increases as you get up the 8% total are set by the government - employers can go above that (e.g. mine should be 3% employee, 2% employer atm but employer has offered to pay 3% to my 2% instead)

User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: The Work Thread
by darksideby182 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Hexx wrote:
darksideby182 wrote:I have a NEST pension , I put in money and so does my employer every for the first three years the contributions increase on both sides (that will be worked out between yourself and your employer)


The base rate of increases as you get up the 8% total are set by the government - employers can go above that (e.g. mine should be 3% employee, 2% employer atm but employer has offered to pay 3% to my 2% instead)

Sounds about right with the 3% and 2% for me.

Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Death's Head » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Seems new version of Tapatalk does not allow quoting. OS - did you know this was coming or was it "surprise!"?

Yes?
User avatar
Johnny Ryall
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Macraig
Location: Box Elder, MO

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Johnny Ryall » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Hexx wrote:
Johnny Ryall wrote:You fine folks got much experience moving a government mandated NEST pension into a company run one (if that even makes sense)? It sounds confusing as heck and I don't know if I even plan living long enough to collect it but all my colleagues who have new contracts are moving their pensions and I feel left out. :shifty:


Depends what you're asking (and I only know a little)

NEST is a quasi government scheme.

When you say "Company Run" assume you mean private provider (Standard Life, AEGON, etc)

NEST will almost certainly be an "Auto Enrollment Scheme" (I don't think it an be anything else) - you pay in so much, and your employer pays in. If you opt out you're automatically re-enrolled unless you opt out again. It's got OK charges.

The other scheme - is this something your company arranged? Is it Auto Enrollment? Are they company contributions? Or is it just another scheme? Losing out on employer contributions and being auto enrolled can matter? How's it charged?

I'm asssuming new contract means you employer has arranged something new/different for some staff (it would still have to meet government requirements - they apply to firms whether they use NEST or a private provider...)

You can only move your NEST scheme (IIRC) if you stop contributing - so consider that.

Actually moving should be relatively easy - people move pension pots around all the time (don't do it on a whim - investigate charges, investment options etc).


It's actually standard Life it turns out (forgot I got a letter from them). By new contract I mean moving from external contractor to permanent company employee. So doing the exact same work but still having to do the p45 business from the contractor and all that guff.

I don't think they use nest, it all makes my head hurt.

User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: The Work Thread
by OnlyShallow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:02 pm

Death's Head wrote:Seems new version of Tapatalk does not allow quoting. OS - did you know this was coming or was it "surprise!"?

We knew redundancies were coming, it is the scale of it that is shocking :( We thought there would be a few members from each team, but not ALL the teams bar 3.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41652424

I work in Argos HQ and basically all of our HR dept has been made redundant, from the HR director down. My dept was only kept on because, at the moment, they can’t transfer our roles to Sainsbury’s employees

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The Work Thread
by Errkal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:38 am

I guess the logic is that there is no point have duplicate departments in the same company.
Saying that it's gooseberry fool that that many people get axed just like that.

User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: The Work Thread
by OnlyShallow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:06 am

Errkal wrote:I guess the logic is that there is no point have duplicate departments in the same company.
Saying that it's gooseberry fool that that many people get axed just like that.

True, but it is the bullshit they feed us that really strawberry floats me off. When they bought Argos, it was all “we bought it for the people who work here” whereas we all knew it was because we were at the forefront of the digital market technology in the UK and it’s integration into our distribution hubs.

Our new CEO let it slip once during an HR meeting “Sainsbury’s could either create an innovative cutting edge digital network from the ground up or we could buy a company who has done it already”

I can’t see Argos as a brand being around much longer. More and more of our stand alone stores are closing and reopening in Sainsburys stores.

So Sainsbury’s are stripping Argos of all the innovative tech stuff and getting rid of the workers who created it. All the Sainsbury’s in store pay clerks getting made redundant, that’s because they have looked at the tech Argos used to do the same thing, said “we’ll have that” then made the people who created it and ran it for Argos redundant.

strawberry floaters

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by Death's Head » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am

OnlyShallow wrote:
Death's Head wrote:Seems new version of Tapatalk does not allow quoting. OS - did you know this was coming or was it "surprise!"?

We knew redundancies were coming, it is the scale of it that is shocking :( We thought there would be a few members from each team, but not ALL the teams bar 3.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41652424[/url]

I work in Argos HQ and basically all of our HR dept has been made redundant, from the HR director down. My dept was only kept on because, at the moment, they can’t transfer our roles to Sainsbury’s employees


The news today is Sainsbury's HR/Admin redundancies so probably a good reason why a transfer was not possible...

Yes?
User avatar
OnlyShallow
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Cigarette City

PostRe: RE: Re: The Work Thread
by OnlyShallow » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:00 am

Death's Head wrote:
OnlyShallow wrote:
Death's Head wrote:Seems new version of Tapatalk does not allow quoting. OS - did you know this was coming or was it "surprise!"?

We knew redundancies were coming, it is the scale of it that is shocking :( We thought there would be a few members from each team, but not ALL the teams bar 3.

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41652424[/url]

I work in Argos HQ and basically all of our HR dept has been made redundant, from the HR director down. My dept was only kept on because, at the moment, they can’t transfer our roles to Sainsbury’s employees


The news today is Sainsbury's HR/Admin redundancies so probably a good reason why a transfer was not possible...

It’s to do with the payroll system. It took Argos over two years (and many millions of £) to move onto our current system, whereas Sainsbury’s have just started their own upgrade but on a totally different system. That’s why my team and our systems support team were the only teams not to get laid off.

Image
Many Lives -> 49 MP wrote:People like you OnlyShallow are terrible banana splits. I hate you forever.

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, Akai XIII, bear, bigcheez2k3, Errkal, Hank Scorpio, Harry Ola, OnlyShallow, Peter Crisp, Poser, Saint of Killers, Senor_Coconut, Squinty, Yahoo [Bot] and 53 guests