Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
222
80%
Leave the European Union
57
20%
 
Total votes: 279
User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit
by Garth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:27 pm

UK needs a reality check.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Hexx » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:27 pm

It's getting one - but given Davis/Mays language, and the moronic nature of most Leave voters I don't see it achieving anything.


Last edited by Hexx on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Alvin Flummux
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Wilmington, OH, USA
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Alvin Flummux » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:29 pm

This is what happens when you let the ignorant masses vote on a complex subject they know nothing about, while the propagandists fill their ignorant heads with hateful lies.

One day, I know we'll meet again, under the Iron Sky...
User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Brexit
by Blue Eyes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:57 pm

Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.

Last edited by Blue Eyes on Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Garth wrote:UK needs a reality check.


I think it's about to get one. It's going to hurt and is going to mean misery for a lot of people, but if there is a bright side then it might finally get rid of the little Englander "We had an empire" arsehole mentality that is still so prevalent in England.

thumbgoals
Member
Joined in 2017

PostRe: Brexit
by thumbgoals » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:59 pm

History will be kind to whoever has the gumption, foresight and above all balls to put an end to this madness. There would even be a statue.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:01 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.


Nah, we are strawberry floated.

May/Boris/Gove/Davis are not going to back down or U-turn on this. Nobody else in the Tory party that could take over is going to either.

Labour are split on the issue. Corbyn wants hard Brexit, the others might not but have no choice.

Even if Labour kicked Corbyn out and went completely pro-EU, it will make no difference. We are due to leave the EU in 2019, the next election is 2022.

Not even May would be crazy enough to call another election before she has to.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Cuttooth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Hexx wrote:It's getting one - but given Davis/Mays language, and the moronic nature of most Leave voters I don't see it achieving anything.

It'll happen. Bit by bit most Leave voters are starting to see how bad things will be and public support for Davis and the entire idea will start to erode before a sudden chasm opens up.

User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Brexit
by Blue Eyes » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:04 pm

Moggy wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.


Nah, we are strawberry floated.

May/Boris/Gove/Davis are not going to back down or U-turn on this. Nobody else in the Tory party that could take over is going to either.

Labour are split on the issue. Corbyn wants hard Brexit, the others might not but have no choice.

Even if Labour kicked Corbyn out and went completely pro-EU, it will make no difference. We are due to leave the EU in 2019, the next election is 2022.

Not even May would be crazy enough to call another election before she has to.

We are strawberry floated with that attitude! Never stop believing.

User avatar
Cuttooth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Cuttooth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:05 pm

Moggy wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.


Nah, we are strawberry floated.

May/Boris/Gove/Davis are not going to back down or U-turn on this. Nobody else in the Tory party that could take over is going to either.

Labour are split on the issue. Corbyn wants hard Brexit, the others might not but have no choice.

Even if Labour kicked Corbyn out and went completely pro-EU, it will make no difference. We are due to leave the EU in 2019, the next election is 2022.

Not even May would be crazy enough to call another election before she has to.

Labour have gone soft-Brexit now, officially but they still need to do more.

Most people would support that.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Hexx wrote:It's getting one - but given Davis/Mays language, and the moronic nature of most Leave voters I don't see it achieving anything.

It'll happen. Bit by bit most Leave voters are starting to see how bad things will be and public support for Davis and the entire idea will start to erode before a sudden chasm opens up.


We are almost a quarter of the way through the negotiation time. Bit by bit isn't going to be quick enough before we are out of the EU and it is all too late.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Cuttooth wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.


Nah, we are strawberry floated.

May/Boris/Gove/Davis are not going to back down or U-turn on this. Nobody else in the Tory party that could take over is going to either.

Labour are split on the issue. Corbyn wants hard Brexit, the others might not but have no choice.

Even if Labour kicked Corbyn out and went completely pro-EU, it will make no difference. We are due to leave the EU in 2019, the next election is 2022.

Not even May would be crazy enough to call another election before she has to.

Labour have gone soft-Brexit now, officially but they still need to do more.

Most people would support that.


Soft Brexit is better than the alternative, but it's still strawberry floating awful.

I don't think Labour have gone officially soft Brexit either. It's rumoured, a few have said a few things, but there was nothing official that I saw.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:10 pm

lex-man wrote:
Death's Head wrote:But where is the agreement that states a country needs to pay an exit fee for leaving? Also, we get no benefit from anything we committed to so it makes no sense for us to contribute to something we don't benefit from, unless there is an exit clause.

A mobile contract would state exit fees, that is why you have no choice.


It would be tied up in the individual pieces of legislation that the UK agreed to over the years. Just before the last Brexit vote Cameron signed up to pay for the next funding round which lasts until 2019.


I think there's something to do with paying pensions as well.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:17 pm

Squinty wrote:I think there's something to do with paying pensions as well.


Yep, Nigel Farage will want his pension for all that hard work he has done.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:I think there's something to do with paying pensions as well.


Yep, Nigel Farage will want his pension for all that hard work he has done.


Lord Farage deserves it. Farage for PM. Hell, Farage for galactic god emperor.

You keep hoping that someone high up will see a bit of sense over all this. It's so dumb it hurts. But hey, CHOO CHOO, all aboard the leaving train.

Last edited by Squinty on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:39 pm

Squinty wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:I think there's something to do with paying pensions as well.


Yep, Nigel Farage will want his pension for all that hard work he has done.


Lord Farage deserves it. Farage for PM. Hell, Farage for galactic god emperor.


Man of the people! He gave us freedom! His birthday should be a national holiday!

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:07 pm

Moggy wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.


Nah, we are strawberry floated.

May/Boris/Gove/Davis are not going to back down or U-turn on this. Nobody else in the Tory party that could take over is going to either.

Labour are split on the issue. Corbyn wants hard Brexit, the others might not but have no choice.

Even if Labour kicked Corbyn out and went completely pro-EU, it will make no difference. We are due to leave the EU in 2019, the next election is 2022.

Not even May would be crazy enough to call another election before she has to.

Labour have gone soft-Brexit now, officially but they still need to do more.

Most people would support that.


Soft Brexit is better than the alternative, but it's still strawberry floating awful.

I don't think Labour have gone officially soft Brexit either. It's rumoured, a few have said a few things, but there was nothing official that I saw.


He's only promising a temporary stay in the single market while we sort things out, but we'll still end on the full hard Brexit, but we'll get a bit of lube.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:16 pm

lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.


Nah, we are strawberry floated.

May/Boris/Gove/Davis are not going to back down or U-turn on this. Nobody else in the Tory party that could take over is going to either.

Labour are split on the issue. Corbyn wants hard Brexit, the others might not but have no choice.

Even if Labour kicked Corbyn out and went completely pro-EU, it will make no difference. We are due to leave the EU in 2019, the next election is 2022.

Not even May would be crazy enough to call another election before she has to.

Labour have gone soft-Brexit now, officially but they still need to do more.

Most people would support that.


Soft Brexit is better than the alternative, but it's still strawberry floating awful.

I don't think Labour have gone officially soft Brexit either. It's rumoured, a few have said a few things, but there was nothing official that I saw.


He's only promising a temporary stay in the single market while we sort things out, but we'll still end on the full hard Brexit, but we'll get a bit of lube.


And that’s not something he can promise anyway as it is not up to the UK to make a unilateral decision on an extension. The EU would have to agree to it and I am not really seeing why they would.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:27 pm

Moggy wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Cuttooth wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Blue Eyes wrote:Brexit won't happen now, surely. It's going so badly even these absolute fuckwits will know not to go through with it. It would destroy us.


Nah, we are strawberry floated.

May/Boris/Gove/Davis are not going to back down or U-turn on this. Nobody else in the Tory party that could take over is going to either.

Labour are split on the issue. Corbyn wants hard Brexit, the others might not but have no choice.

Even if Labour kicked Corbyn out and went completely pro-EU, it will make no difference. We are due to leave the EU in 2019, the next election is 2022.

Not even May would be crazy enough to call another election before she has to.

Labour have gone soft-Brexit now, officially but they still need to do more.

Most people would support that.


Soft Brexit is better than the alternative, but it's still strawberry floating awful.

I don't think Labour have gone officially soft Brexit either. It's rumoured, a few have said a few things, but there was nothing official that I saw.


He's only promising a temporary stay in the single market while we sort things out, but we'll still end on the full hard Brexit, but we'll get a bit of lube.


And that’s not something he can promise anyway as it is not up to the UK to make a unilateral decision on an extension. The EU would have to agree to it and I am not really seeing why they would.


I think that could quite easy to negotiate as it'll give all the countries involved a chance to make the necessary changes to import and export systems and laws. It's a lot of work.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:58 pm

Apparently, London rents have just fallen by 1%. It'll be interesting to see if this is the start of a trend.

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/ren ... own-051917


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests