1. Our intel is that May is going to announce in her speech that she's to give formal notice to leave the EEA.
2. And, in an attempt to by-pass the Commission, extend an invitation to all the EEA members to enter into direct talks with the UK
3. This would be to create a new EEA Agreement, under a different name, without the four freedoms ... just trading rules.
4. She's not going to walk away, but it will be a take it or leave it offer. Either take it or we walk.
5. It would appear they are going with the Legatum template.https://t.co/V3Uuvo6EUQ
6. The idea that existing EEA members will seek to weaken their agreement is delusional. Close to insane.
7. If this is the UK proposal then May will end up with egg n her face and we'll be back to square one - or walking away with nothing.
8. Government clearly misses the point that any deal must be substantially more than just trade.
9. The EU is not about to unpick the entire EEA agreement for the sole benefit of the UK. What is May smoking?
10. EEA agreement is configurable for the UK but anything beyond that is howling mad.
11. More to the point, the EU could not be any clearer that no talks on trade etc will happen until divorce terms agreed.
12. This smells like an attempt to circumvent the entire process. A refusal to engage. It will not succeed.