Brexit

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
219
80%
Leave the European Union
56
20%
 
Total votes: 275
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Hexx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:28 pm

God this is depressing. Davis basically begging EU leaders to change tact.

Can't even name a single company that agree with his amazing post-Brexit trading Utopia.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Jawa, the point has already been made, but free trade agreements always come with a loss of “sovereignty” because to have free trade you have to agree to certain standards and rules. The reason for that is because to have free trade, you have to have a relatively level playing field.

That isn’t just an EU thing, NAFTA resulted in the USA, Canada and Mexico agreeing to changes in laws and regulations. The EU and Canada deal resulted in changes in laws and regulation.

That leads onto your second point, if we want 100% sovereignty then we cannot have free trade deals.

Sure we can negotiate trade deals with other countries that are not free, but that will take at least a decade (with all the economic hardship that that entails) and will result in tariffs. Which means we will give up membership of the biggest free trade area in the world to maybe get some sort of reduced tariff deal with some hypothetical countries in the future.

A decade of hardship for a worse deal that might not even happen. That isn’t logical.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit
by Photek » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I don't think Jawa is stupid I just think he's a generally really optimistic guy, which is to be championed. It grates but I'm an old codger.

Last edited by Photek on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Hexx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Photek wrote:I don't think Jawa is stupid I just think he's a generally really optimistic guy, which is to be championed really. It grates but I'm an old codger.


No.

It's got to be ground out of him until we've smashed his spirit so he's a disilusioned and world weary as the rest of us.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:38 pm

Photek wrote:I don't think Jawa is stupid I just think he's a generally really optimistic guy, which is to be championed really. It grates but I'm an old codger.


I don’t think Jawa is stupid and I don’t think anybody has suggested he is (Hexx might have, I only skim his posts ;) ).

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit
by Garth » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Hexx wrote:Fox's department is currently rushing round the world to say "You know the deal you have with the EU? We can just copy/paste that right?" and getting laughed out of the room

All common sense seems to have flown out the window - why the hell would anyone want to agree to any trade terms with us right now when they know we'll soon be in a much weaker, more desperate negotiating position post-Brexit?

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Hexx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 pm

Garth wrote:
Hexx wrote:Fox's department is currently rushing round the world to say "You know the deal you have with the EU? We can just copy/paste that right?" and getting laughed out of the room

All common sense seems to have flown out the window - why the hell would anyone want to agree to any trade terms with us right now when they know we'll soon be in a much weaker, more desperate negotiating position post-Brexit?


Because the WILL OF THE BRITISH PEOPLE votes for it? How dare they not respect democracy etc etc

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Rex Kramer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:41 pm

This is why a lot of the post referendum talk about people talking down Britain is nonsense, the problem we have is an over-inflated sense of our own worth.

User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: Brexit
by jawafour » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

.

Last edited by jawafour on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Hexx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:15 pm

God I just want to crush Jawa's spirit...by hugging him so tight.

He's adorable.

Edit

Any such country would have 100% control over law... but with the understanding that some aspects may be modified in order to negotiate agreements (on trade, weapons, movement or anythuing else) with others.


That's pretty much now btw

Possibly, man... but is it better to have little belief in Britain?


Should we let people walk over a cliff because they believe they can fly? (If they're Leave voters...maybe. Jk. Probably)

The problem most Leaver's have is they think they're opinions actually mean something. Some idiot at some point has convinced them that all opinions are equal.

Remain

The vast majority of experts, and experienced individuals say X willm lead to a worse outcome. Here's Evidence A, B and C, along with 2 case studies and worked example.

Leave

Pfft. Stop being so pessimistic. It'll be great.

Remain

Why?

Leave

NO ONE CAN SAY! LET'S HOPE FOR THE BEST! IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN IF YOU SABOTAGE IT.


It's the exact thing Trump/the right did. Facts vs Feelings - present a false equivalency to empower the delusion arrogance your base.


Last edited by Hexx on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Rex Kramer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:19 pm

jawafour wrote:FAKE EDIT: Crumbs! Just as I finished this, I saw Rex's point:

Rex Kramer wrote:This is why a lot of the post referendum talk about people talking down Britain is nonsense, the problem we have is an over-inflated sense of our own worth.

Possibly, man... but is it better to have little belief in Britain?

Yes it is, but in the context of Britain's place in the world in the 21st century. Not, as it seems from the majority of Tory eurosceptics, the 1950s.

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Denster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Moggy wrote:
Denster wrote:I was insulted by the assumption that I just accept anything May does. This is demonstrably wrong. This is a discussion thread and should be above petty insults. The fact that it was me saying it - I thought would hit home how crass it was.


You are really setting yourself up to have this thrown back in your face later on. Are you suggesting that in a “discussion” thread that you have never used crass language, insulted anybody or insinuated anything about anybody that isn’t 100% true? Are you sure that you will never do any of those things again?

If it really offended you that much, then I apologise for making any suggestion that you would applaud Theresa May for shitting in your mouth. I realise that you would not actually applaud her for doing that and that you don’t support every single act that she may or may not carry out either in the past, present or future.

However, if this was actually just a way to avoid answering difficult questions by jumping on and making a fuss about an obviously silly comment, then I take back that apology and tut loudly at you because you should be better than that.


To be fair - it was a combination of me being slightly annoyed, having no pain meds and having to wait in the rain for an hour for the bus (strawberry floating Tories).

I did think the comment was crass but accept it was part of the banter we have.

I have criticised May on several occasions and it did annoy me but I may have given it more airtime than it needed.

I had also given my reasoning for May not answering. Whilst I accept you lot want answers - I just wanted to say I got why she didn’t.
Maybe sometimes I do feel the need to defend my corner and sometimes do but it is very hard to do that in here.
Given the relentless nature of some in here and the relative slowness or complete lack of progress on Brexit itself - I find thst this leads to arguments often becoming circular and non productive.

I’d wanted to post my opinion and reacted adversely to the suggestion that I just agreed unquestioningly with Tory policy and our glorious leader. Both are untrue and I like to think I’ve represented that in here and the other thread.

Let’s move on, Moggy. I still love you. Even though you’re a Vulgarian and a socialist.

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Denster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm

As for misbehaving in a discussion thread. I nearly got broomed from here 3 years ago for being particularly obnoxious and provocative in the Scottish independence thread. Only a rethink and earnest apology saved me on that occasion. As Karl would attest. So, No I have no angelic claims in these sort of threads. Hence my rather handsome and heartfelt post previous.


It only applies to Moggy though. :wub:

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Errkal » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:29 pm

jawafour wrote:
Errkal wrote:...With the EU however we do have say in them as we have MEP's part of the issue is they are seen as not doing anything etc. which is partly that the stuff the EU does to our benefit is now never ever made obvious, and a bunch of our MEP's are UKIP members who don't want us there and so are effectively taking the piss by taking money from the EU in pay and doing strawberry float all for us. Which then gives us less say and influence purely because we don't participate properly not because we can't or the EU in undemocratic...

"We don't participate properly"? Whether we agree or disagree or disagree with the outcome, we're in the position we are now because of democracy. I don't get the argument - it feels equivalent to saying that, if you're - for example - a Liberal Democrats supporter, the Conservative government are "taking the piss" by not spending taxes how you'd like them to.


It isn't the same as that because that is supporting a person that isn't in power and expecting the party that is is in power to do what they said they would.

What I mean by the EU thing is that people say we that "they dictate to us" and that they make the laws and we have to follow, however we do have MEP's in the EU parliament which are meant to represent us, that's the democracy, that's the vote that represents us as a nation and has our say so it isn't dictated we are part of the process.

The issue is people don't know about that much and think we have no say because it isn't very well publicised that that is the case, people don't understand the EU, additionally a bunch of our MEP's are UKIP members who do not want to be part of the EU and as such do not add value to the process and do no champion the UK cause there, thus reducing our say and influence.

If we had people in the EU parliament from proper parties that wanted to be there our influence would be greater because we would MEP's that engage with the EU and don't just act like the kids at the back of the classroom that don't want to be there.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Denster wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Denster wrote:I was insulted by the assumption that I just accept anything May does. This is demonstrably wrong. This is a discussion thread and should be above petty insults. The fact that it was me saying it - I thought would hit home how crass it was.


You are really setting yourself up to have this thrown back in your face later on. Are you suggesting that in a “discussion” thread that you have never used crass language, insulted anybody or insinuated anything about anybody that isn’t 100% true? Are you sure that you will never do any of those things again?

If it really offended you that much, then I apologise for making any suggestion that you would applaud Theresa May for shitting in your mouth. I realise that you would not actually applaud her for doing that and that you don’t support every single act that she may or may not carry out either in the past, present or future.

However, if this was actually just a way to avoid answering difficult questions by jumping on and making a fuss about an obviously silly comment, then I take back that apology and tut loudly at you because you should be better than that.


To be fair - it was a combination of me being slightly annoyed, having no pain meds and having to wait in the rain for an hour for the bus (strawberry floating Tories).

I did think the comment was crass but accept it was part of the banter we have.

I have criticised May on several occasions and it did annoy me but I may have given it more airtime than it needed.

I had also given my reasoning for May not answering. Whilst I accept you lot want answers - I just wanted to say I got why she didn’t.
Maybe sometimes I do feel the need to defend my corner and sometimes do but it is very hard to do that in here.
Given the relentless nature of some in here and the relative slowness or complete lack of progress on Brexit itself - I find thst this leads to arguments often becoming circular and non productive.

I’d wanted to post my opinion and reacted adversely to the suggestion that I just agreed unquestioningly with Tory policy and our glorious leader. Both are untrue and I like to think I’ve represented that in here and the other thread.

Let’s move on, Moggy. I still love you. Even though you’re a Vulgarian and a socialist.


I really just want to reply with “strawberry float off cuntflaps” but am worried you’re still off your meds and will take it as a serious discussion of the state of your genitalia.

Winky face here to show non-serious nature of post - ;)

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Denster » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm

I was gonna sign off with ‘snivelling wankpig’ but I thought it would detract from the dignity and solemnity of my post.

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Hexx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Oh just shag and get it over with. Although given it's Denster I assume that'd be like Moggy throwing a sausage down a hallway

;)

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit
by Photek » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Oh Jawa, reading your post was (again), RAGE inducing. :lol: :fp:

The UK is (was?) the worlds 5th largest Economy, that is correct.

The European Union is the worlds second largest economy.. Taking out the UK, the EU is still roughly 5 times the size of the UK's economy.

Also, this feeds into the line that 'both sides will lose out economically', again correct but if both sides take the same hit, the UK will be hit harder, using, like....logic and stuff.

Image
User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Errkal » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Hexx wrote:Oh just shag and get it over with. Although given it's Denster I assume that'd be like Moggy throwing a sausage down a hallway

;)

He's had the op now, it will be tighter than a nun in a convent, Moggy will have a great time.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Errkal wrote:
Hexx wrote:Oh just shag and get it over with. Although given it's Denster I assume that'd be like Moggy throwing a sausage down a hallway

;)

He's had the op now, it will be tighter than a nun in a convent, Moggy will have a great time.


Why are you both assuming that we haven’t already had sexual intercourse*?

*please don’t use crass words like “shag” in here, won’t ANYONE think of the Jawa?


Return to “Stuff”