Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
222
80%
Leave the European Union
57
20%
 
Total votes: 279
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: Belfast

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Meep » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:32 am

If you are a democrat you have to acknowledge that so long as the SNP keep get elected they have the right to keep calling referendums. The only way to defeat Scottish independence once and for all would be for Labour to take back control of Holyrood (hilarious) or the Conservatives to take control (strawberry floating hysterical).

No amount of speeches by a despised Westminster PM is going to change anything. The SNP can rightly laugh in her face.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Lagamorph » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:34 am

But are people voting SNP because of their independence obsession? Or just because there's nobody better?

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Ecno » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 am

Meep wrote:If you are a democrat you have to acknowledge that so long as the SNP keep get elected they have the right to keep calling referendums. The only way to defeat Scottish independence once and for all would be for Labour to take back control of Holyrood (hilarious) or the Conservatives to take control (strawberry floating hysterical).

No amount of speeches by a despised Westminster PM is going to change anything. The SNP can rightly laugh in her face.


Whilst I agree with you (assuming it's explicit in each SNP manifesto), there should be stronger requirement than a 50%+1 vote on any turnout. 50%+ 1 of the whole electorate I think would be reasonable and based on the last turnout would require about 60% of the votes.

http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:44 am

Meep wrote:If you are a democrat you have to acknowledge that so long as the SNP keep get elected they have the right to keep calling referendums. The only way to defeat Scottish independence once and for all would be for Labour to take back control of Holyrood (hilarious) or the Conservatives to take control (strawberry floating hysterical).

No amount of speeches by a despised Westminster PM is going to change anything. The SNP can rightly laugh in her face.


There's a bizarre idea at the moment that you are anti-democratic if you want a second referendum on something.

I'm not a big fan of then but it's ridiculous to argue that a referendum is "the will of the people" but a second one is tyrannical totalitarianism.

User avatar
Drumstick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Drumstick » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:31 pm

Lagamorph wrote:But are people voting SNP because of their independence obsession? Or just because there's nobody better?

Or because they believe their interests are best represented and looked after by the SNP.

One man should not have this much power in this game. Luckily I'm not an ordinary man.
Image Image
"economically unviable"
-Oblomov Boblomov
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Rocsteady » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:52 pm

So the latter, basically.

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm

There's no way everyone who votes snp in the general election want independence otherwise they would have voted to leave in the referendum. The SNP seem to believe that all there voters want independence when that clearly isn't the case.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:52 pm

Apparently there were UKIP voters that wanted to remain in the EU. People don't always vote for parties based solely on that party's headline aim.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by KK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Food inflation doubles in a month as UK shoppers start to feel the pinch

Sharp fall in pound since EU referendum feeds into big rise in food prices with butter up 15% in a month, fish up 8% and tea up 6.6%

Supermarket inflation doubled last month as shoppers had to pay more for staples such as butter and tea, underlining expectations that household budgets will come under extra pressure in 2017.

Grocery inflation jumped to a near three-year high of 1.4% in the 12 weeks to 26 February, from 0.7% in the 12 weeks to 29 January, according to the consumer consultancy Kantar Worldpanel. The cost of fruit and vegetables – a large proportion of which are imported – also rose.

Butter prices rose 15.8% over the period, fish prices rose 8.8%, and tea prices were up 6%.

The sharp jump in food inflation shows the pace at which the sharp drop in the value of the pound since the Brexit vote in June is now feeding into consumer prices. A weaker pound makes goods imported from overseas more expensive.

Rising food prices ends a run of falling costs that began in September 2014 as supermarket competition in the sector intensified and companies stepped up price wars.

Fraser McKevitt, head of retail and consumer insight at Kantar Worldpanel, said that supermarkets including Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda and Morrisons – the so-called “big four” – were now benefiting from rising prices.

“While consumers may be starting to feel a very slight pinch, increased inflation has led to overall market growth. Simultaneously, combined sales at the UK’s four largest supermarkets increased by 0.5% year on year.”

It comes as the OECD warned on Tuesday that rising inflation would hit households in Britain this year, making them less willing to spend money, and hold back economic growth. The Paris-based thinktank expects UK growth to slow in 2017 to 1.6% from 1.8% in 2016.

As families grapple with rising prices, wage growth is expected to remain weak, further stretching weekly budgets. The headline rate of inflation measured by the Office for National Statistics is expected to rise to about 3% from a current rate of 1.8%.

Kantar pointed out that not all grocery prices – there were falls in a number of items, including crisps, bacon, and eggs.

The Kantar figures are not the official inflation figures, but are based on 75,000 identical products compared year-on-year in the proportions purchased by shoppers.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... feel-pinch

Bought a carton of Tropicana Pineapple this morning...it's shrunk by 100ml. Frozen cod the other week only does 2 dinners, whereas it used to do me for 3. Sainsbury's butter from 85p to an eye-watering £1.40.

Was reading "The Sun Says" on Saturday (FYI, it was left on the train) and they were cock-a-hoop about how great the lower pound has been for people from abroad. Well that's great, but I don't bloody live abroad!

Yes, you can sarcastically laugh at how my tin of Heinz organic beans have gone from 50p to £1.10 'oh boo hoo' but I don't see why I should be celebrating my living standards having to go backwards. Doesn't feel very aspirational to me...

Despite the article, bacon has gone up in Tesco from £3 to £3.80, and eggs in Sainsbury's 80p to 90p. Crisps have remained a £1 but I don't really eat many crisps. When it comes to food, I fail to see any benefits whatsoever.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Britain literally cannot feed itself (we haven’t been able to for a very very long time) and we therefore rely on other countries to supply us with food. With us heading towards hard Brexit, it is likely that there will be all sorts of tariffs on goods that we buy from the EU nations.

I wouldn’t hold up much hope that Brexit will reduce your shopping bills.

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Tomous » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Moggy wrote:Apparently there were UKIP voters that wanted to remain in the EU. People don't always vote for parties based solely on that party's headline aim.


But I didn't think UKIP had any kind of aim or manifesto beyond leaving the EU...

User avatar
Hexx
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Hexx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:52 pm

Moggy wrote:Britain literally cannot feed itself (we haven’t been able to for a very very long time) and we therefore rely on other countries to supply us with food. With us heading towards hard Brexit, it is likely that there will be all sorts of tariffs on goods that we buy from the EU nations.

I wouldn’t hold up much hope that Brexit will reduce your shopping bills.


Yeah but think of the massive amount of cheap British caught fish we're going to have.

And all those good oils/fats from fish will save the NHS Twillions!

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Tomous wrote:
Moggy wrote:Apparently there were UKIP voters that wanted to remain in the EU. People don't always vote for parties based solely on that party's headline aim.


But I didn't think UKIP had any kind of aim or manifesto beyond leaving the EU...


Farage dismissed it, but they had a policy in their 2010 manifesto to force taxi drivers to wear uniforms. Maybe some people are just sick of scruffy taxi drivers?

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Hexx wrote:
Moggy wrote:Britain literally cannot feed itself (we haven’t been able to for a very very long time) and we therefore rely on other countries to supply us with food. With us heading towards hard Brexit, it is likely that there will be all sorts of tariffs on goods that we buy from the EU nations.

I wouldn’t hold up much hope that Brexit will reduce your shopping bills.


Yeah but think of the massive amount of cheap British caught fish we're going to have.

And all those good oils/fats from fish will save the NHS Twillions!


True, the fish will more than make up for loss of land based food once all the farmers starve to death following the removal of their EU subsidies. :slol:

User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Blue Eyes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Tea, butter, crisps - surely the cornerstone of your typical Brexit voting banana split's diet. Let's all laugh as they starve.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Blue Eyes wrote:Tea, butter, crisps - surely the cornerstone of your typical Brexit voting banana split's diet. Let's all laugh as they starve.


Tea comes from Yorkshire, crisps come from Gary Lineker's house in Leicester, butter comes from cows that you can see in almost any field.

PRODJECT FEAR IN ACTION YET AGIAN!!1!!

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by KK » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:00 pm

The pound has been steadily falling against the dollar the last 2 weeks for some reason. It's gone from £1.26 to almost £1.21.

Image
User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Blue Eyes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 pm

The HoL has voted against a second Brexit referendum. ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!!1!1!!1

Seriously though, they're banana splits for doing that.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by lex-man » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Tomous wrote:
Moggy wrote:Apparently there were UKIP voters that wanted to remain in the EU. People don't always vote for parties based solely on that party's headline aim.


But I didn't think UKIP had any kind of aim or manifesto beyond leaving the EU...


They had loads based around traditional values. They were all mental mind.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by DML » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:13 pm

Its very frustrating listening to Leavers. People don't like to hear they are stupid. Unfortunately, they are stupid. Entitled even.

Image

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests