Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
222
80%
Leave the European Union
57
20%
 
Total votes: 279
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:57 am

NickSCFC wrote:Possibly Brexit related, Vauxhall are in deep doodoo

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... es-plunge/

Overall new car sales were down 5% last year, Vauxhall were down 22% and have lost their 2nd place sales spot to VW, who grew 2%


Maybe Opel could buy them?

User avatar
NickSCFC
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by NickSCFC » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:08 am

Moggy wrote:
NickSCFC wrote:Possibly Brexit related, Vauxhall are in deep doodoo

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... es-plunge/

Overall new car sales were down 5% last year, Vauxhall were down 22% and have lost their 2nd place sales spot to VW, who grew 2%


Maybe Opel could buy them?


They were sold to Peugeot last year... worked out well

Image
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:I remember playing through one of the female character's campaigns in Tekken 2 just so I could desperately try and fit in a wank for the ending video
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:21 am

I've always hated Vauxhall. Weirdly I bought a VW last year, although very second hand.

User avatar
Garth
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit
by Garth » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:23 am


“Dr Emma Briant's research gives us a unique insight into the private thoughts of key people at Leave.EU and SCL. The references made by Nigel Oakes from SCL and Andy Wigmore from Leave.EU regarding the propaganda techniques developed by the Nazis are particularly concerning. As Nigel Oakes points out in his conversation with Dr Briant, the Nazis 'leveraged an artificial enemy' to make people scared, and through this to incite hatred of Jewish people.

“Andy Wigmore states that he believes that the propaganda techniques of the Nazi's were 'very clever'. He also confirms that exploiting voters concerns about immigration was central to their campaign during the Brexit referendum. Given the extreme messaging around immigration that was used during the referendum campaign, these statements will raise concerns that data analytics was used to target voters who were concerned about this issue, and to frighten them with messaging designed to create 'an artificial enemy' for them to act against.

"From Dr Briant’s research, it is also clear that Leave.EU benefited from their work with Cambridge Analytica before the decision was made on which Leave campaign would receive the official designation for the referendum. As Andy Wigmore states, they copied the strategy that Cambridge Analytica had given them. There are understandably more questions about how Leave.EU developed their database to do this, and whether consumer data from other companies they had a relationship was used to support their campaign."

"There are also more questions for Alexander Nix about the closeness of his relationship with Julian Assange, given Nigel Oakes's assertion that Mr Nix called up Mr Assange and asked if Cambridge Analytica could help WikiLeaks to disseminate Hillary Clinton's emails, during the US Presidential campaign."

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:39 am

So that poster Farage was photographed next to wasn't just coincidentally very similar to a Nazi poster, it was literally ripped off from them.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:48 am

lex-man wrote:So that poster Farage was photographed next to wasn't just coincidentally very similar to a Nazi poster, it was literally ripped off from them.


Yep.

I remember Farage and his followers laughing at the idea that it was Nazi like. Of course it turns out that it wasn’t just similar to Nazi propaganda, it was actually deliberately based on it.

Still, Farage is definitely not a racist eh? The Leave vote wasn’t won by preying on racist fears was it?

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:53 am

I wonder if Kate Hoey will still defend him?

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:54 am

Doesn't really surprise me. Johnny Foreigner, benefits claimants, the EU, soon to be remainers. All scapegoats, to deflect attention away from the real source of failings, and in terms of the referendum, to further the financial and right wing interests of people who should know better.

I've said this before, but I truly believe austerity has been the perfect slow cooker for all of this.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:58 am

lex-man wrote:I wonder if Kate Hoey will still defend him?


She’ll just say something like “I disagree with the tactics used but the outcome was the correct result” or some other bollocks like that.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:59 am

Squinty wrote:Doesn't really surprise me. Johnny Foreigner, benefits claimants, the EU, soon to be remainers. All scapegoats, to deflect attention away from the real source of failings, and in terms of the referendum, to further the financial and right wing interests of people who should know better.

I've said this before, but I truly believe austerity has been the perfect slow cooker for all of this.


I think this is actually worse. It seems to me like Leave.EU are actually a front for some pretty hardcore racist views. I really think we need to have a serious look at what they were actually trying to achieve.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:02 am

lex-man wrote:
Squinty wrote:Doesn't really surprise me. Johnny Foreigner, benefits claimants, the EU, soon to be remainers. All scapegoats, to deflect attention away from the real source of failings, and in terms of the referendum, to further the financial and right wing interests of people who should know better.

I've said this before, but I truly believe austerity has been the perfect slow cooker for all of this.


I think this is actually worse. It seems to me like Leave.EU are actually a front for some pretty hardcore racist views. I really think we need to have a serious look at what they were actually trying to achieve.


If the retweets that I have seen are representative of them, Leave.EU is nothing but a racist group.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:18 pm



:lol:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Moggy wrote:

:lol:



https://www.mirror.co.uk/usvsth3m/media ... ot-5258390

"I'm Max," he says with confidence, "Dr Max Gammon, and the best thing about these conferences is the interesting people you meet."

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:19 pm

Morrissey was the worst thing about an amazing band. Can't say I'd pay much attention to him, as he's a nutter.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Squinty wrote:Morrissey was the worst thing about an amazing band. Can't say I'd pay much attention to him, as he's a nutter.


It comes back to the question of whether it is possible to separate the art from the artist. Morrisey is a colossal prick and that latest interview is a car (or a ten tonne truck) crash of wrongness, but yeah I do still like the Smiths. I balance out the wrongness of giving Morrisey money by eating twice the amount of burgers.

User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit
by Photek » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 am

Tusk in warning to UK over border issue

European Council president Donald Tusk has warned Britain that there will be no withdrawal agreement and no transition deal unless the problem of the border between Ireland and the UK is solved.

Speaking during a debate in the European Parliament in Strasbourg, Mr Tusk said: "The UK’s decision on Brexit has caused the problem, and the UK will have to solve it.

"Without a solution there will be no withdrawal agreement and no transition".

He added that he hoped "positive momentum" in Brexit talks can help to deal with the outstanding problems.

European People’s Party leader Manfred Weber said Ireland would be supported during the Brexit talks.

"We are all Irish in this regard and we stand clearly behind our Irish friends".

:datass:

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2018/0418/955347-brexit/

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:29 am

At least we have plenty of time left before Brexit to sort the Irish border issues out. :slol:

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:55 am

Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:Morrissey was the worst thing about an amazing band. Can't say I'd pay much attention to him, as he's a nutter.


It comes back to the question of whether it is possible to separate the art from the artist. Morrisey is a colossal prick and that latest interview is a car (or a ten tonne truck) crash of wrongness, but yeah I do still like the Smiths. I balance out the wrongness of giving Morrisey money by eating twice the amount of burgers.


I meet one of the audio techs who worked with the Smiths the other day, he told me he thought the worst thing Morrisey ever did was wabble all over Jonny Marr's guitar.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:58 am

lex-man wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Squinty wrote:Morrissey was the worst thing about an amazing band. Can't say I'd pay much attention to him, as he's a nutter.


It comes back to the question of whether it is possible to separate the art from the artist. Morrisey is a colossal prick and that latest interview is a car (or a ten tonne truck) crash of wrongness, but yeah I do still like the Smiths. I balance out the wrongness of giving Morrisey money by eating twice the amount of burgers.


I meet one of the audio techs who worked with the Smiths the other day, he told me he thought the worst thing Morrisey ever did was wabble all over Jonny Marr's guitar.


I love some of his lyrics. But my word, he does this thing with his voice at times that is just awful sounding. The second half of The Queen is Dead is truly amazing though.

So this is deadline day for the Irish Border issue solutio, isn't it? Fun times.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:00 am

Squinty wrote:So this is deadline day for the Irish Border issue solutio, isn't it? Fun times.


Image


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests