Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
222
80%
Leave the European Union
57
20%
 
Total votes: 279
User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:50 am

You can prove anything with facts, we dont need these experts!

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 am

What a surprise. Another bad forecast.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by KK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:51 am

Meep wrote:This highlights that there is a real shortage of actually 'British' products. The sad thing is that so many UK industries have been sold off to foreign owners and its own government doesn't lift a finger to stop them, probably because they are too busy feathering their own nests. Remember ARM? The crown jewel of the British technology sold off. Yet I remember Brexiters hailing the news as a sign of confidence in Britain; as if a foreign buyer taking advantage of the low value of sterling to takeover one of the country's most important future assets was something to cheer about. Patriots my arse. The same goes for most of major utilities, which are often left in the hands of foreign state owned companies to help subsidise the cost of their own local services.

The irony of the right wing Brexiters is they are the ones who have been selling their own country out for decades.

I think there is a definite divide between British brand names (which genuinely still mean something worldwide) and who now actually owns them. I think the car industry is probably the most depressing in a way (Aston Martin, Mini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Jaguar...I mean every aspirational car you think about is practically ours). But you also see similar in America with quintessential names like Budweiser and Ben and Jerry's owned by European companies, though at least they still have a car industry.

There are still British success stories though, such as Tesco & Burberry.

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:19 am

KK wrote:(Aston Martin, Mini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Jaguar...I mean every aspirational car you think about is practically ours).


Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Koenigsegg, Maserati, Porsche.....

User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

And none of those are owned by UK companies.

User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by KK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:00 am

Maybe I should have put practical car you can actually drive over a hump.

Audi, Mercedes and BMW certainly aren't aspirational though, they're the norm.

The point being, the brand name means something - it's still a British brand in people's minds - even though the owners are elsewhere. People still equate Fosters with Australia (for better or worse) even though it's made in europe and owned by InBev. With each passing year more and more products are not made or owned by who they're 'supposed' to be but they're still associated with a country, place or person and selling off the back of that.

Image
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am


Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit
by Sleighamorph » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 am

Photek wrote:

I don't even know what's going on anymore.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:10 am

KK wrote:Maybe I should have put practical car you can actually drive over a hump.

Audi, Mercedes and BMW certainly aren't aspirational though, they're the norm.


Your list was Aston Martin, Mini, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, Jaguar.

Do you think the Mini is more aspirational than Audi, Mercedes or BMW?

It's also hard to know what you mean when you keep moving the goalposts between aspirational and practical. Do you want brands that are aspirational or ones that can drive over a hump?

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:11 am

Lagamorph wrote:
Photek wrote:

I don't even know what's going on anymore.


I feel dirty, but I agree with Nigel Farage. :dread: :lol:

User avatar
Garth of Christmas Future
Emeritus
Joined in 2008
Location: Norn Iron

PostRe: Brexit
by Garth of Christmas Future » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:15 am

Photek wrote:

Must be feeling pretty confident that Leave would win again, any reason for that?

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:17 am

Garth wrote:
Photek wrote:

Must be feeling pretty confident that Leave would win again, any reason for that?


He’s probably thinking that he has a divorce to pay for and he would like to keep his MEP salary and TV appearances going.

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit
by Sleighamorph » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 am

I wouldn't be surprised if he's confident leave would lose this time which is exactly what he wants. As Moggy said he'll want to keep his salary, plus it'll be a great excuse to come back as UKIP leader again and get some money out of that.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:30 am

Lagamorph wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he's confident leave would lose this time which is exactly what he wants. As Moggy said he'll want to keep his salary, plus it'll be a great excuse to come back as UKIP leader again and get some money out of that.


He’s either thinking that or he is so confident that Leave would win that he would like another referendum to shut Remainers up.

I don’t think it’s going to happen though, the Tories are unlikely to listen to Farage's ideas.

User avatar
DML
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by DML » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:32 am

Moggy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he's confident leave would lose this time which is exactly what he wants. As Moggy said he'll want to keep his salary, plus it'll be a great excuse to come back as UKIP leader again and get some money out of that.


He’s either thinking that or he is so confident that Leave would win that he would like another referendum to shut Remainers up.

I don’t think it’s going to happen though, the Tories are unlikely to listen to Farage's ideas.


They've done a pretty good job so far!

Image
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am

DML wrote:
Moggy wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if he's confident leave would lose this time which is exactly what he wants. As Moggy said he'll want to keep his salary, plus it'll be a great excuse to come back as UKIP leader again and get some money out of that.


He’s either thinking that or he is so confident that Leave would win that he would like another referendum to shut Remainers up.

I don’t think it’s going to happen though, the Tories are unlikely to listen to Farage's ideas.


They've done a pretty good job so far!


Not really. The referendum was called to shut Farage up. Ever since then the Tories have been trapped by their hard right MPs and the inability to ignore the referendum that they called.

A second referendum would solve a lot of the Tories problems, but I just don’t see them doing it.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Rex Kramer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:41 am

Maybe he's had the thumbs up from the Kremlin that they've managed to hack UK postal voting. Or his handler has decided that they just fancy strawberry floating around with us again for a couple of months.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:55 am

Rex Kramer wrote:Maybe he's had the thumbs up from the Kremlin that they've managed to hack UK postal voting. Or his handler has decided that they just fancy strawberry floating around with us again for a couple of months.


If it is anything to do with Russia, then I would imagine that Moscow would be happy for us to have another referendum. All that chance to create even more division amongst the UK population, the chance of more MPs being shot, the chance to send more bots out etc etc.

User avatar
Karl
Seyana!
Seyana!
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Karl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:58 am

He's just a contrarian dickhead.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am

Karl wrote:He's just a contrarian dickhead.


It would be amazing if all of his fans turned on him (“Even Nigel is a traitor!!!”) and the Government announced a second referendum, that Remain then won. :toot:


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests