Brexit

Fed up talking videogames? Why?

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
200
78%
Leave the European Union
56
22%
 
Total votes: 256
User avatar
Meep
Member
Joined in 2010
Location: The north of Ireland.

PostRe: Brexit
by Meep » Tue May 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Welcome to the club. IMO, my view on Facebook and other such sites could be reduced to: "Would you be okay with informing the government every time you make a new friend?" If the answer is no, don't use Facebook. I recently started using a VPN and anti-tracking measures because I noticed advertisements having an uncanny ability to present things relevant to my recent activities; which freaked me out a little.

User avatar
Rightey
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Rightey » Tue May 09, 2017 9:22 pm

Just to let you know, some VPN's retain logs of everything their users do...

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ond-hacker

Also, if someone truly wanted to find out what you were doing it could still do so even if you were using a VPN, and they didn't have access to the logs...

https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... in-traffic

Sadly, the internet is not really the place for privacy. There are definitely steps you can take to protect yourself to some degree but nothing will be perfect.

Pelloki on ghosts wrote:Just start masturbating furiously. That'll make them go away.
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Wed May 10, 2017 6:15 pm

It's now time to completely stop free movement.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... ing-london

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit
by Lagamorph » Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 pm

Moggy wrote:It's now time to completely stop free movement.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... ing-london

Wow, he even wants limits on people already in the UK moving to London. He wants the M25 turning into a literal border. :lol:

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Karl » Wed May 10, 2017 7:05 pm

You didn't read the whole article, did you?

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit
by Lagamorph » Wed May 10, 2017 7:16 pm

I don't have the time for that. There's games to play and articles can only be as long as the next loading screen.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Moggy » Wed May 10, 2017 7:34 pm

Laga :lol:

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit
by Lagamorph » Wed May 10, 2017 8:39 pm

There are probably people who'd be all for the idea anyway.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
KK
Moderator
Joined in 2008
Location: Botswana
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by KK » Sun May 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Is Paul Dacre the most dangerous man in Britain?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... daily-mail

15 hour days... :dread:

Image
User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Sun May 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Lagamorph wrote:There are probably people who'd be all for the idea anyway.


I'm up for that. Keep all you weridos outside the M25. We can re-brand London as one giant liberal elite safe space.

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Brexit
by Return_of_the_STAR » Sun May 14, 2017 8:58 pm

KK wrote:Is Paul Dacre the most dangerous man in Britain?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... daily-mail

15 hour days... :dread:


Whenever I read articles about the mails influence they always seem to miss out the most important part, the DM website and app. It's one of the world's most visited media outlets. 8th I believe in the entire world which is pretty amazing as a country of only 60 million people.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Brexit
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon May 15, 2017 8:35 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
KK wrote:Is Paul Dacre the most dangerous man in Britain?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... daily-mail

15 hour days... :dread:


Whenever I read articles about the mails influence they always seem to miss out the most important part, the DM website and app. It's one of the world's most visited media outlets. 8th I believe in the entire world which is pretty amazing as a country of only 60 million people.

Though the Mail’s website, with its sidebar of celebrity shame, is the most visited news site in the world


From that article ;).

Image
User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Brexit
by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon May 15, 2017 8:38 am

Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
KK wrote:Is Paul Dacre the most dangerous man in Britain?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... daily-mail

15 hour days... :dread:


Whenever I read articles about the mails influence they always seem to miss out the most important part, the DM website and app. It's one of the world's most visited media outlets. 8th I believe in the entire world which is pretty amazing as a country of only 60 million people.

Though the Mail’s website, with its sidebar of celebrity shame, is the most visited news site in the world


From that article ;).


Too be honest the article was so bloody long I scan read a lot of it. Usually though it gets no mention. I think it's far more of an influence than the paper now. A lot of people use it for the sports and celeb gossip but end up reading the 'news' (propaganda) stories.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!
User avatar
Oblomov Boblomov
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Mind Crime, SSBM_God

PostRe: Brexit
by Oblomov Boblomov » Mon May 15, 2017 8:47 am

Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
Oblomov Boblomov wrote:
Return_of_the_STAR wrote:
KK wrote:Is Paul Dacre the most dangerous man in Britain?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... daily-mail

15 hour days... :dread:


Whenever I read articles about the mails influence they always seem to miss out the most important part, the DM website and app. It's one of the world's most visited media outlets. 8th I believe in the entire world which is pretty amazing as a country of only 60 million people.

Though the Mail’s website, with its sidebar of celebrity shame, is the most visited news site in the world


From that article ;).


Too be honest the article was so bloody long I scan read a lot of it. Usually though it gets no mention. I think it's far more of an influence than the paper now. A lot of people use it for the sports and celeb gossip but end up reading the 'news' (propaganda) stories.

It's terrifying. It seems to be the staple form of lunchtime entertainment in offices across the country. Like you say, they get drawn in (for some baffling reason) by the gossip shite and then start reading the poisonous serious news stories. It all adds up, chipping away at their brains until what do you know, fascism isn't so bad after all.

Image
User avatar
Qikz
Member ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: Brexit
by Qikz » Mon May 15, 2017 1:15 pm

There's only one person in my office who reads the Daily Mail and she says she does it to look at the funny pictures. I keep telling her she can find them somewhere else and to not support that awful paper.

She doesn't think she's affected by what they write, but she's the only person here who voted for Brexit and when questioned why, she parroted their stance.

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Karl
Consider The Following
Consider The Following
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Karl » Mon May 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Qikz wrote:She doesn't think she's affected by what they write, but she's the only person here who voted for Brexit and when questioned why, she parroted their stance.


That's pretty terrifying.

User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Tineash » Mon May 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:She doesn't think she's affected by what they write, but she's the only person here who voted for Brexit and when questioned why, she parroted their stance.


That's pretty terrifying.


My beloved grandmother read the Daily Express for decades, mainly because she enjoyed the puzzles and the TV guide. While she was always a soft conservative (and a soft Conservative) over the years she became spectacularly Europhobic without ever really being able to explain why to the rest of her (mainly Europhilic) family; certainly not in any depth greater than a Mail/Express headline. 5 months after the referendum she died, in large part due to chronic underfunding & completely inadequate provision of social care by her overwhelmingly Tory council.

I miss her and I think about this sequence of events nearly every day.

Last edited by Tineash on Mon May 15, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Mon May 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:She doesn't think she's affected by what they write, but she's the only person here who voted for Brexit and when questioned why, she parroted their stance.


That's pretty terrifying.


After the vote, I asked a coworker why she voted leave. She said she wanted rid of human rights.

I just let that hang like the fart that it was.

User avatar
Wrathy
Member
Joined in 2015
Location: Location: Location: Location:

PostRe: Brexit
by Wrathy » Mon May 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Tineash wrote:
Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:She doesn't think she's affected by what they write, but she's the only person here who voted for Brexit and when questioned why, she parroted their stance.


That's pretty terrifying.


My beloved grandmother read the Daily Express for decades, mainly because she enjoyed the puzzles and the TV guide. While she was always a soft conservative (and a soft Conservative) over the years she became spectacularly Europhobic without ever really being able to explain why to the rest of her (mainly Europhilic) family; certainly not in any depth greater than a Mail/Express headline. 5 months after the referendum she died, in large part due to chronic underfunding & completely inadequate provision of social care by her overwhelmingly Tory council.

I miss her and I think about this sequence of events nearly every day.


This story is awful. And it's made me realise that something more or less identical to it happened to my grandmother. :(

User avatar
Return_of_the_STAR
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Northampton

PostRe: Brexit
by Return_of_the_STAR » Mon May 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Wrathy wrote:
Tineash wrote:
Karl wrote:
Qikz wrote:She doesn't think she's affected by what they write, but she's the only person here who voted for Brexit and when questioned why, she parroted their stance.


That's pretty terrifying.


My beloved grandmother read the Daily Express for decades, mainly because she enjoyed the puzzles and the TV guide. While she was always a soft conservative (and a soft Conservative) over the years she became spectacularly Europhobic without ever really being able to explain why to the rest of her (mainly Europhilic) family; certainly not in any depth greater than a Mail/Express headline. 5 months after the referendum she died, in large part due to chronic underfunding & completely inadequate provision of social care by her overwhelmingly Tory council.

I miss her and I think about this sequence of events nearly every day.


This story is awful. And it's made me realise that something more or less identical to it happened to my grandmother. :(


You think that's bad it's happened to my dad and he's only 60.

Image

GRAPL Heavyweight Champion 2010, Runner Up 2017, tag team Champion 2011, 2015, Wrestlemania PPV Winner 2012 and your current all time highest GRAPL points scorer.
Fixture feeling champion 2013.

I'm a Paul Heyman guy!

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andretmzt, Cuttooth, Denster, Snowcannon and 59 guests