Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
222
80%
Leave the European Union
57
20%
 
Total votes: 279
User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit
by Sleighamorph » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:26 pm

I honestly don't know who's going to blink first.
May in allowing the entire UK to be in the single market or the DUP in allowing a sea border between NI and the UK.

If I had to answer I'd probably say the DUP will cave on a sea border, since that probably screws them over personally a little less.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Dat Tusk.

User avatar
Sleighamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: Brexit
by Sleighamorph » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:02 pm


Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 pm

EU playing hardball. :datass:

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: Brexit
by Hyperion » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 pm

I can't wait until we move on to Gibraltar

Image
Ad7 wrote:stop moaning about it
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Hyperion wrote:I can't wait until we move on to Gibraltar


:lol:

User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Again though, the EU has not changed it's stance, back in December we said the Irish border had to be dealt with before trade negotiations and now when it comes to ratifying some sort of Irish border solution we are again saying it has to be dealt with before anything else.

Why do the UK government not understand or see a pattern here that the EU is not changing its position on anything and won't..?

EDIT: Have to keep reminding myself to type 'we' instead of 'they'.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Lagamorph wrote:EU freezes Brexit talks until Britain produces 'realistic' Irish border solution

The bullying EU trying to annex Northern Ireland :x



User avatar
Ho-Ho-Ho-tek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: Brexit
by Ho-Ho-Ho-tek » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:24 pm

:lol:

The bad side of this is that will again increase anti irish sentiment in the UK instead of blaming the government.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Photek wrote::lol:

The bad side of this is that will again increase anti irish sentiment in the UK instead of blaming the government.


Leavers were never going to blame the government as a whole, they will only the blame the parts of the government that aren’t demanding we leave without paying anything. The people that are blamed was always going to be the Remainers and the EU. Ireland will get a lot of the blame because they are not decent enough to follow the UK out of the EU. As Hyperion said though, once we move onto Gibraltar the Spanish are going to get a lot of the blame which might take the heat off of Ireland a little bit. ;)

And as much as you laugh about that letter, that sort of thinking is becoming more common over here. That’s why you had that visit from Farage a month or so ago, hard Leavers are convinced that they can get Ireland out of the EU.

User avatar
Rax
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Raxicori

PostRe: Brexit
by Rax » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 pm

Weirdly there was a time when the UK leaving would have meant Ireland would likely have followed suit, to maintain trade and diplomatic relations, but decades of living the good life in the EU and developing links with countries all over Europe has meant we see the good it does and leaving the EU really is a non runner here.

Also its pretty great watching the Brexiteers trying their bullyboy tactics on us only for Tusk and all the big boys to make it clear that gooseberry fool aint gonna fly.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Rax wrote:Also its pretty great watching the Brexiteers trying their bullyboy tactics on us only for Tusk and all the big boys to make it clear that gooseberry fool aint gonna fly.


It's like what Varadkar said in the European Parliament a few months ago, Ireland and the other small EU countries now have a powerful voice and don't have to do what they are told by the bigger countries. Why would they give that up, just to help out the UK after the UK has made a gooseberry fool decision?

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Photek wrote:Again though, the EU has not changed it's stance, back in December we said the Irish border had to be dealt with before trade negotiations and now when it comes to ratifying some sort of Irish border solution we are again saying it has to be dealt with before anything else.

Why do the UK government not understand or see a pattern here that the EU is not changing its position on anything and won't..?

EDIT: Have to keep reminding myself to type 'we' instead of 'they'.


Boggles the mind how this is being spun by adamant leavers. The collective chant of 'they are bullying us!' is a complete denial of a timetable that the UK itself signed up to in good faith. David Davis said this.

They have been steadfast in sticking to their guns from the very beginning. UK is flip flopping like a fish on dry land.

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:51 pm


User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Lagamorph wrote:I honestly don't know who's going to blink first.
May in allowing the entire UK to be in the single market or the DUP in allowing a sea border between NI and the UK.

If I had to answer I'd probably say the DUP will cave on a sea border, since that probably screws them over personally a little less.


Nobody, the DUP wouldn't allow a hard boarder in a million years. May can't allow the whole of the UK to remain in the single market. My guess is either we crash out and go full hard Brexit or the negotiations will keep getting extended keeping us in EU limbo indefinitely.

User avatar
Christmas CrackErrkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by Christmas CrackErrkal » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:44 pm

lex-man wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I honestly don't know who's going to blink first.
May in allowing the entire UK to be in the single market or the DUP in allowing a sea border between NI and the UK.

If I had to answer I'd probably say the DUP will cave on a sea border, since that probably screws them over personally a little less.


Nobody, the DUP wouldn't allow a hard boarder in a million years. May can't allow the whole of the UK to remain in the single market. My guess is either we crash out and go full hard Brexit or the negotiations will keep getting extended keeping us in EU limbo indefinitely.



Crashing out would a hard border, it isn't an issue that goes away with a crash out.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: Brexit
by Squinty » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 pm


User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:36 pm

Squinty wrote:http://talkradio.co.uk/news/youre-playing-xenophobic-brexiteer-smears-julia-rows-london-gp-over-nhs-18030924719

From 1 to 10 in under a few minutes (Frothing Brexit lunatic scale).


Pound shop Hopkins.

User avatar
lex-man
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: Brexit
by lex-man » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:43 pm

Errkal wrote:
lex-man wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:I honestly don't know who's going to blink first.
May in allowing the entire UK to be in the single market or the DUP in allowing a sea border between NI and the UK.

If I had to answer I'd probably say the DUP will cave on a sea border, since that probably screws them over personally a little less.


Nobody, the DUP wouldn't allow a hard boarder in a million years. May can't allow the whole of the UK to remain in the single market. My guess is either we crash out and go full hard Brexit or the negotiations will keep getting extended keeping us in EU limbo indefinitely.



Crashing out would a hard border, it isn't an issue that goes away with a crash out.


Sure I fully expect it to be issue for years to come

User avatar
Partridge Iciclebubbles
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: Brexit
by Partridge Iciclebubbles » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 am

Corbyn's speech...

Jeremy Corbyn has insisted he has a "common sense" approach to Brexit, in contrast to the "chaos" of the Tories.

Mr Corbyn was speaking at the Scottish Labour conference, which has largely been dominated by a row over single market membership.

He said he wanted a "new and strong" relationship with the single market.

But he said it would be "wrong" to sign up to a single market deal that was not "fully compatible with our radical plans to change Britain's economy".

The Labour leader told delegates in Dundee that the Brexit plans of the Conservatives were in "chaos", and said his party would fight to "put jobs and living standards first" as the UK leaves the European Union.

And he stressed that "retaining the benefits of the customs union and the single market" was vital - saying this would help future Labour governments in Edinburgh and London to "fully implement our socialist programme".

Mr Corbyn said: "As democratic socialists, we respect the result of the referendum.

"But Labour has its own common sense approach in stark contrast to the Tories' extreme and reckless plans for Brexit.

"We would aim to negotiate a new and strong relationship with the single market and a floor under existing rights, standards and protections for workers, consumers and the environment."

Mr Corbyn recently said he now favours the UK remaining in a customs union after Brexit, but has stopped short of backing single market membership despite being urged to do so by many party members.

He told the conference: "We are determined to negotiate a deal that gives us full tariff-free access to the single market."

And he said any deal with the EU must be compatible with his plans for a "jobs first Brexit", which would include nationalising the railways and the postal service, and to end the privatisation of public services.

Mr Corbyn said: "We also need to be clear, we could not accept a situation where we were subject to all EU rules and EU law, yet had no say in making those laws.

"That would leave us as mere rule-takers and isn't a tenable position for democracy."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-43335178


Any Corbyn supporters hoping that he might try and keep us in the single market are going to be severely disappointed.


Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests