Brexit

Our best bits.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Remain a member of the European Union
222
80%
Leave the European Union
57
20%
 
Total votes: 279
User avatar
Rocsteady
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Rocsteady » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 am

I see Tim Farron's calling for another vote once terms have been set. Seems completely sensible to me, now that everyone knows for sure what they are voting on.

Why would leave voters be scared by this? If they truly believe in democracy above all else then the informed electorate should have the opportunity to choose their own destiny.

Image
User avatar
_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by _/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 am

Such a great and momentous day.

A brighter future going forward for my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

But remoaners gotta remoan.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 am

_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ wrote:Such a great and momentous day.

A brighter future going forward for my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.

But remoaners gotta remoan.


Trolls gotta troll.

User avatar
_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by _/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:16 am

Rocsteady wrote:
Why would leave voters be scared by this? If they truly believe in democracy above all else then the informed electorate should have the opportunity to choose their own destiny.


Democracy is not having to have the same vote over and over until YOU get the result YOU want.
But going off polls done recently. I'd look forward to a bigger leave vote.

But remoaners gotta remoan.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:18 am

_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ wrote:
Democracy is not having to have the same vote over and over until YOU get the result YOU want.


Better cancel any future general elections then. They keep making us vote every 5 years all hoping we make the decision that THEY want. The bastards.

But trolls gotta troll.

User avatar
_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by _/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:20 am

Moggy wrote:
_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ wrote:
Democracy is not having to have the same vote over and over until YOU get the result YOU want.


Better cancel any future general elections then. They keep making us vote every 5 years all hoping we make the decision that THEY want. The bastards.

But trolls gotta troll.


Actually, I'd not call you a troll. Just stupid perhaps. But if you have to troll.... carry on.


But..... Remoaners gotta remoan.

Image
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am

_/\_YUNGSTAR_/\_ wrote:
Actually, I'd not call you a troll. Just stupid perhaps. But if you have to troll.... carry on.


But..... Remoaners gotta remoan.


It's nice that you have a motto. Even trolls like yourself have to have some sort of mantra to repeat to try and make themselves feel better about the strawberry floating unbelievably stupid decision they have made and are subjecting the entire country to. Bless.

User avatar
Qikz
#420BlazeIt ♥
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Qikz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am

Yungstar, why don't you just add that to your signature so you don't have to copy paste it into every thread you make?

Image
The Watching Artist wrote:I feel so inept next to Stay Dead...
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Death's Head » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:25 am

Moggy wrote:I'd argue that if you can't be arsed to vote then you are content with the current situation.


I'd argue that if you don't vote, you accept what the majority want. People are lazy and unless they feel strongly about something (which clearly they didn't here), they are happy to be told what to do.

Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Death's Head » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:27 am

Moggy wrote:"Hoping" or probably wont, in which case we just take the cost for nothing. Brexit is happening so I for one will be hoping it fails and that the rest of Europe doesn't collapse into far right populism and that we eventually come to our senses and stop thinking we are some sort of special country that doesn't need to get along with others.


As far as I can see, it is a done deal, so yes, I will be hoping it is a success as now we need to make the most of what we've got.

Yes?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:28 am

Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:I'd argue that if you can't be arsed to vote then you are content with the current situation.


I'd argue that if you don't vote, you accept what the majority want. People are lazy and unless they feel strongly about something (which clearly they didn't here), they are happy to be told what to do.


That would be true in a general election, I am not sure it holds so well with a massive constitutional change though.

Either way, we will never know.

What they should have done is make this a compulsory vote with massive fines if people didn't bother voting. Then we might have gotten a true picture of what people actually wanted.

User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am

Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:"Hoping" or probably wont, in which case we just take the cost for nothing. Brexit is happening so I for one will be hoping it fails and that the rest of Europe doesn't collapse into far right populism and that we eventually come to our senses and stop thinking we are some sort of special country that doesn't need to get along with others.


As far as I can see, it is a done deal, so yes, I will be hoping it is a success as now we need to make the most of what we've got.


That's cool and I can see why you would.

I still feel too angry about it all to feel any hope that things turn out well. Luckily I am not in charge and so what I hope for the future is not going to have an effect on anybody else.

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Death's Head » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am

Moggy wrote:What they should have done is make this a compulsory vote with massive fines if people didn't bother voting. Then we might have gotten a true picture of what people actually wanted.


Agreed, but I would say that should be for general elections too.

Yes?
User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Death's Head » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:30 am

Qikz wrote:Yungstar, why don't you just add that to your signature so you don't have to copy paste it into every thread you make?

I've not tried it myself, but can't you ignore posters in your settings?

Yes?
User avatar
Moggy
"Special"
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Moggy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 am

Death's Head wrote:
Moggy wrote:What they should have done is make this a compulsory vote with massive fines if people didn't bother voting. Then we might have gotten a true picture of what people actually wanted.


Agreed, but I would say that should be for general elections too.


I'd disagree there. A general election is different, it is voting for a representative, it isn't voting for upheaval in the entire way the country is run. And general election results are always overturnable after 5 years, referendums like this are going to be either forever or at least for a very long time.

User avatar
Knoyleo
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Knoyleo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:33 am

Making assumptions about the views of those who don't vote is a pointless exercise in speculation. You'll never know, and both sides will use it to reinforce their own bias.

Wishing for Brexit to be a failure in order to get rid of the Tories is equally pointless. The only thing that will replace the Tories is a better alternative, and right now, it's hard to find one that appeals to the electorate as a whole.

Never mind that a successful or failed Brexit deal will look different to different people. I'd view a deal that includes access to the single market and free movement as a success, but plenty of leave voters would view that as not just a failure, but an act of betrayal.

User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Blue Eyes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 am

I can't believe Karl chastised me for calling Yungstar a banana split. Just look at the state of his posts.

User avatar
Blue Eyes
Member
Joined in 2011

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Blue Eyes » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:47 am

Let's say every banana split voted and Leave won by a landslide, right? I'd still be very angry about it and wanting it to be called off. If 90% of the population wanted to play Russian Roulette with a completely loaded gun I wouldn't be the idiot when I refuse to participate. That's not even an over-the-top analogy!

User avatar
Death's Head
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Death's Head » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:47 am

Moggy wrote:I'd disagree there. A general election is different, it is voting for a representative, it isn't voting for upheaval in the entire way the country is run. And general election results are always overturnable after 5 years, referendums like this are going to be either forever or at least for a very long time.


5 years is a long time, and you can bet that people who didn't vote are going to complain about what the party in power has done.

Yes?
Glowy69
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: B6

PostRe: The EU Referendum: The UK votes Leave
by Glowy69 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:48 am

Death's Head wrote:
Qikz wrote:Yungstar, why don't you just add that to your signature so you don't have to copy paste it into every thread you make?

I've not tried it myself, but can't you ignore posters in your settings?


Yes. 8-)

Fabian Delph is a banana split.

Drumstick wrote:I'll go on record in stating that Villa won't finish inside the top 6 this season.

Image

Return to “Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests