The Football Thread 2018-19 - England beat Yanks real good at soccer

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
darksideby182
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: cove grove

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by darksideby182 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:50 am

:lol:

Image
Wii U : punkeator
Xbox live : darksideby182
Psn : darksideby182
steam : Punkeator
Origin : Punkeator
Switch : 6739-1557-7191
User avatar
Ecno
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: There're no Wolves

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Ecno » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:29 pm

This Rooney USA testimonial friendly is a disgrace. If you want to give Rooney a testimonial give him a testimonial, but don't dress it up as a full international, particularly when we have a team which is playing well.

Was going to go, not now.

http://www.phantomgoal.com

Football Betting Analysis and other related topics.
User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Corazon de Leon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:08 pm

I fail to see how a friendly against the USA to send him off is "a disgrace." :lol:

Image Image
User avatar
Irene Demova
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Irene Demova » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Nice of City to finish the game before Chelsea kick off

BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by BOR » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:07 pm

Man City destroyed Southampton. :fp:

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Denster » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:09 pm

They’re going to take some stopping this season. In the league at least.

User avatar
Denster
Member
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Denster » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:11 pm

If someone offered me a draw against Juve and City in the next two games - I’d snap their hand off.

If we start slow against them we’re in deep trouble.

BOR
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by BOR » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Denster wrote:They’re going to take some stopping this season. In the league at least.

Yeah. :dread:

God help us with our defensive next Sunday.

"The job is done, and the bitch is dead."
User avatar
Parksey
Moderator
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Parksey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:44 am

Corazon de Leon wrote:I fail to see how a friendly against the USA to send him off is "a disgrace." :lol:


It's not a "disgrace" but quite a lot of footballs strive to turn out for the national team one day. To reach the point where they get to, on merit, the level of an international footballer.

Quite a lot of players then get a solitary cap or a turn out in a friendly. Despite this, they are proud to have turned out for their country and to have stepped on to the pitch wearing their national shirt, as they've reached that peak, albeit momentarily.

Turns out though, what that it's actually fine to get one as a token gesture for a charity game you've organised.

Regardless of whether it's a friendly or not, you want a squad and a call up to be founded on footballing merits surely? Not just for footballing politics or as a goodwill gesture.

User avatar
Preezy
Skeletor
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Preezy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:57 am

Does anyone really care though? It's not hurting anyone and will raise money for charity, which I think should be the main thing to focus on here.

User avatar
Corazon de Leon
Doctor ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Corazon de Leon » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 am

Parksey wrote:
Corazon de Leon wrote:I fail to see how a friendly against the USA to send him off is "a disgrace." :lol:


It's not a "disgrace" but quite a lot of footballs strive to turn out for the national team one day. To reach the point where they get to, on merit, the level of an international footballer.

Quite a lot of players then get a solitary cap or a turn out in a friendly. Despite this, they are proud to have turned out for their country and to have stepped on to the pitch wearing their national shirt, as they've reached that peak, albeit momentarily.

Turns out though, what that it's actually fine to get one as a token gesture for a charity game you've organised.

Regardless of whether it's a friendly or not, you want a squad and a call up to be founded on footballing merits surely? Not just for footballing politics or as a goodwill gesture.


In principle you’re right but there are two points I’d make - the first is that I think it’s absolutely fine to make an exception for a player who has appeared as many times and scored as many goals in an England top as Rooney has. He’s done a lot and I think it’s absolutely fine to recognise that.

The second thing is that he’s doing well in the MLS - twelve goals in 21 appearances and he looks very solid. Granted it’s not as strong a league as the EPL(probably Blackburn or Boro could make it to their play-offs so I’d put it at Championship level using my scientific method) but if he were a 21 year old pulling in those numbers he might be given a chance.

So why not let him have one last match? Is it hurting the squad, really? Is it going to deny opportunities to those young players who are grafting away trying to make it? I don’t think so.

Rooney’s a good Celtic supporter, too. :slol:

Image Image
User avatar
more heat than light
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Leicestershire

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by more heat than light » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:53 am

Yeah it's hard to argue youngsters aren't getting a chance these days, Southgate has opened the door to a lot of players. I don't have a problem with this at all.

jawafour wrote:You definitely have the biggest one, mhtl - it's strawberry-floatin' massive!
User avatar
Photek
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Dublin

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Photek » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:54 am

I admit that I'm rather triggered by the narrative coming from the Arsenal v Liverpool 1-1 draw. The way Arsenal fans are going on, on twitter, you'd swear they beat us 6-0. A draw was probably the right result, but as I said, Arsenal are going to take some beating at the Emirates, the City game was the first one and was a buy, but not now. Liverpool played way below par and Fabinho was not up to pace at all, he'll learn from it hopefully but I think Keita would have made a huge difference. Torreira is an excellent buy, quality player.

Image
Grcades resident banana split.
User avatar
Irene Demova
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Irene Demova » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 pm

liverpool were saved by the refs mate

User avatar
Irene Demova
Member
Joined in 2009
AKA: Karl

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Irene Demova » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 pm

btw I didn't watch the game or any highlights of it

User avatar
Hime
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Hime » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 pm

Photek wrote:I admit that I'm rather triggered by the narrative coming from the Arsenal v Liverpool 1-1 draw. The way Arsenal fans are going on, on twitter, you'd swear they beat us 6-0. A draw was probably the right result, but as I said, Arsenal are going to take some beating at the Emirates, the City game was the first one and was a buy, but not now. Liverpool played way below par and Fabinho was not up to pace at all, he'll learn from it hopefully but I think Keita would have made a huge difference. Torreira is an excellent buy, quality player.

I think you have to remember that we have been so poor against the top teams for the past couple of years, especially Liverpool so it's nice to see us actually compete again.

Image
PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by PES Fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:09 pm

Hime wrote:
Photek wrote:I admit that I'm rather triggered by the narrative coming from the Arsenal v Liverpool 1-1 draw. The way Arsenal fans are going on, on twitter, you'd swear they beat us 6-0. A draw was probably the right result, but as I said, Arsenal are going to take some beating at the Emirates, the City game was the first one and was a buy, but not now. Liverpool played way below par and Fabinho was not up to pace at all, he'll learn from it hopefully but I think Keita would have made a huge difference. Torreira is an excellent buy, quality player.

I think you have to remember that we have been so poor against the top teams for the past couple of years, especially Liverpool so it's nice to see us actually compete again.


Besides City, you were competitive last season at home against all the big teams. Against Man United even though you lost you were unlucky with the amount of chances you created.

The issue with Arsenal most of the time in the big games has been away from home. You’d had the odd result but most of the time it’s been predictable.

Also surprised how bad Fulham are looking. Thought they’d actually be decent especially with the money they spent.

PES Fan
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by PES Fan » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Also Wenger close to joining Milan. Not surprising with Gazildas there.

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Dowbocop » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 pm

Hime wrote:
Photek wrote:I admit that I'm rather triggered by the narrative coming from the Arsenal v Liverpool 1-1 draw. The way Arsenal fans are going on, on twitter, you'd swear they beat us 6-0. A draw was probably the right result, but as I said, Arsenal are going to take some beating at the Emirates, the City game was the first one and was a buy, but not now. Liverpool played way below par and Fabinho was not up to pace at all, he'll learn from it hopefully but I think Keita would have made a huge difference. Torreira is an excellent buy, quality player.

I think you have to remember that we have been so poor against the top teams for the past couple of years, especially Liverpool so it's nice to see us actually compete again.

This. You rightly say City was a write off that early in the season, and we also lost to Chelsea. Certainly in the Chelsea game we were naive and I think we should have taken something off them (those misses :dread: ). In a sense Liverpool weren't ever going to be the story on Saturday, you beating us wouldn't be a shock (everyone knows you're a very good team), but a competitive draw or a victory for us would show our progress.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't rate Mkhitaryan. I really thought he might thrive under us but he just seems to do nothing.

User avatar
Dowbocop
Member ♥
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The Football Thread 2018-19 - Matchday 11
by Dowbocop » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:27 pm

PES Fan wrote:Also Wenger close to joining Milan. Not surprising with Gazildas there.

Any money we get them again in the Europa League. strawberry float Ivan, but Wenger :wub:

Really hope he does well wherever he goes - does he want Mustafi?


Return to “Stuff”