The future according to videogames

Anything to do with games at all.
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostThe future according to videogames
by jawafour » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Image

> Earlier today I watched a video of OutRun 2019 and it's hard to believe that we're soon gonna hit the milestone year referred to in Sega's racing game.

> It got me thinking... what games have used a "future" year in their title or in their gameplay?* What did these games predict would be happening in that designated year? Have any of those ideas come to fruition?

> I've listed a few such games below - detailing the title, year of release and their ideas and in-depth analysis of the facts - but can you think of any others?

Lets look at the past to discover the future!

* Okay, stop right there. I don't mean FIFA or other sports titles!

- - - - - - - - - -

OutRun 2019 (Mega Drive, 1993) - Race vehicles at 800mph on super-highways! Analysis: Kinda feasible but not a frequent occurance.

Impossible Mission 2025 (Amiga, 1994) - Part-human, part-machine characters go after the evil scientist Elvin Atombender! Analysis: Cyborg capabiliy is possible right now although we haven't started attacking scientists yet.

Robotron 2084 (Arcade, 1982) - Fight through areas of death-dealing mechanised robots to save the remaining humans! Analysis: Bad robots haven't taking over the Earth at this point but maybe they could by 2084?

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Lagamorph » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Mega man takes place in 200x but I'm not seeing those robots all over the place even though it's 9 years later

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Pedz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Street Fighter 2010. When is Ken? Why is he not saving the world?

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Tineash
Member
Joined in 2008

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Tineash » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Pedz wrote:Street Fighter 2010. When is Ken? Why is he not saving the world?


8 years later, the world's still here? #ThanksKen

"exceptionally annoying" - TheTurnipKing
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by jawafour » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:51 pm

Lagamorph wrote:Mega man takes place in 200x but I'm not seeing those robots all over the place even though it's 9 years later

Ooh! This is a case where it was the future but now it has passed. I've never played a Mega Man game but, yeah, is it a case of a robotically-enhanced chap - Mega Man - taking on hordes of robots in battle whilst making super-jumps? Rather like Impossible Mission 2025, I guess we do have genetic/tech enhancements right now although not quite at bazooka levels yet.

Tineash wrote:
Pedz wrote:Street Fighter 2010. When is Ken? Why is he not saving the world?


8 years later, the world's still here? #ThanksKen

Perhaps Ken *did* fight behind the scenes to ensure our safety? Tineash is right... we can only look at the facts.

User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Pedz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:57 pm

jawafour wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Mega man takes place in 200x but I'm not seeing those robots all over the place even though it's 9 years later

Ooh! This is a case where it was the future but now it has passed. I've never played a Mega Man game but, yeah, is it a case of a robotically-enhanced chap - Mega Man - taking on hordes of robots in battle whilst making super-jumps? Rather like Impossible Mission 2025, I guess we do have genetic/tech enhancements right now although not quite at bazooka levels yet.

Tineash wrote:
Pedz wrote:Street Fighter 2010. When is Ken? Why is he not saving the world?


8 years later, the world's still here? #ThanksKen

Perhaps Ken *did* fight behind the scenes to ensure our safety? Tineash is right... we can only look at the facts.



Mega Man is 20XX and I think Mega Man X is 21XX

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Met
Member
Joined in 2015

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Met » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:09 pm

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is happening this year.

User avatar
Lagamorph
Member ♥
Joined in 2010

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Lagamorph » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:25 pm

Pedz wrote:
jawafour wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Mega man takes place in 200x but I'm not seeing those robots all over the place even though it's 9 years later

Ooh! This is a case where it was the future but now it has passed. I've never played a Mega Man game but, yeah, is it a case of a robotically-enhanced chap - Mega Man - taking on hordes of robots in battle whilst making super-jumps? Rather like Impossible Mission 2025, I guess we do have genetic/tech enhancements right now although not quite at bazooka levels yet.

Tineash wrote:
Pedz wrote:Street Fighter 2010. When is Ken? Why is he not saving the world?


8 years later, the world's still here? #ThanksKen

Perhaps Ken *did* fight behind the scenes to ensure our safety? Tineash is right... we can only look at the facts.



Mega Man is 20XX and I think Mega Man X is 21XX

Original Mega Man was 200X. They changed it to 20XX later.

Lagamorph's Underwater Photography Thread
Zellery wrote:Good post Lagamorph.
Turboman wrote:Lagomorph..... Is ..... Right
User avatar
rinks
Member
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Aboard the train that goes around the world

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by rinks » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:27 pm

Image

I must have missed the news about the Hectors arriving last year.

Image

This is the death of intelligence
User avatar
Pedz
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Pedz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:34 pm

Lagamorph wrote:
Pedz wrote:
jawafour wrote:
Lagamorph wrote:Mega man takes place in 200x but I'm not seeing those robots all over the place even though it's 9 years later

Ooh! This is a case where it was the future but now it has passed. I've never played a Mega Man game but, yeah, is it a case of a robotically-enhanced chap - Mega Man - taking on hordes of robots in battle whilst making super-jumps? Rather like Impossible Mission 2025, I guess we do have genetic/tech enhancements right now although not quite at bazooka levels yet.

Tineash wrote:
Pedz wrote:Street Fighter 2010. When is Ken? Why is he not saving the world?


8 years later, the world's still here? #ThanksKen

Perhaps Ken *did* fight behind the scenes to ensure our safety? Tineash is right... we can only look at the facts.



Mega Man is 20XX and I think Mega Man X is 21XX

Original Mega Man was 200X. They changed it to 20XX later.


Yup, I forgot that. Apologies.

ImageImageImageImage.
Image
User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Jazzem » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:59 pm

Image

We've got until 2101AD before the English language goes to hell :D

User avatar
Errkal
Social Sec.
Joined in 2011
Location: Hastings
Contact:

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Errkal » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I see nothing wrong with them sentence.

User avatar
Squinty
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Norn Oirland

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Squinty » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:30 pm

I played Deus Ex Mankind Divided recently, and I thought it was interesting. Specifically, the augments and the wearers of them being hacked to do heinous gooseberry fool, and the aftermath of that (persecution of augmented folk).

User avatar
Tomous
I Pissed My Pants
Joined in 2010
AKA: Vampbuster

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Tomous » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:52 pm

Metro 2033: Nuclear war and most of us are dead.

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Jazzem » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Errkal wrote:I see nothing wrong with them sentence.


Image

User avatar
Ironhide
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Autobot City

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Ironhide » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Jazzem wrote:Image

We've got until 2101AD before the English language goes to hell :D


Its not the same without the epic midi music.

Image
User avatar
Earfolds
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Evil Ted
Contact:

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Earfolds » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:11 am

Jazzem wrote:Image

We've got until 2101AD before the English language goes to hell :D


XKCD says this will be a meme again in 2021.

Image
User avatar
Hyperion
Member
Joined in 2009
Location: Beyond the wall

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Hyperion » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 am

Perfect Dark (N64, 2000) - In 5 years time we will be in the midst of an intergalactic war between two alien races. Flying cars will be commonplace. Corporations will be utilising alien technology.
We have already had a black president though

Image Image
User avatar
jawafour
Member
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by jawafour » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 am

Met wrote:Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is happening this year.

I like your confidence, Met :) .

rinks wrote:(Earth Defense Force 2017)

That's a great shout, rinks! And... I guess we could easily equate the predicted bug attack with the infamous wasp activities in my flat last year :o . This game actually came true!

Jazzem wrote:(All your base)

An amazing gif! I hope that we don't have to wait until 2101 for such language-twisting japes, Jazzem!

Squinty wrote:(persecution of augmented folk)

Crumbs, Squinty, when reading over your point it felt that you'd been seriously contemplating the effects. Don't let dystopian visions cloud your enthusiasm for the future, dude :) .

Tomous wrote:Metro 2033: Nuclear war and most of us are dead.

Dang, Tomous... that is something I hope never comes to fruition. It would certainly hit our Mario Kart numbers pretty hard :( . But you've reminded me that I want to play through this game - thanks, man!

Hyperion wrote:(Perfect Dark)

I guess we could see driverless - but perhaps not flying - cars in five years, Hypes? Hopefully the intergalactic alien war holds off for a while, though

User avatar
Jazzem
Member
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The future according to videogames
by Jazzem » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:24 am

Great idea for a thread Jawa :toot: Certainly some amusing hypotheticals

Earfolds wrote:
Jazzem wrote:Image

We've got until 2101AD before the English language goes to hell :D


XKCD says this will be a meme again in 2021.


Ha!

Honestly, the notion of memes being cyclical doesn't seem too farfetched...

Last edited by Jazzem on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: <]:^D, D_C, darksideby182, Dig Dug, Frank, Gemini73, ignition, jawafour, Rich, Starquake, Tafdolphin and 30 guests