The Higher Education Megathread

Fed up talking videogames? Why?
User avatar
kiera229
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Japan

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by kiera229 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:12 am

Alvin Flummux wrote:Ah, you got yours from Fake Chinese University too? :)

Japanese, duh ;)

Igor wrote:Yeah but not a real doctor.

Nope, that's a real doctorate. Medical practitioners are called "doctors" in English as an honorary title, regardless of whether they actually have doctorates. But you don't actually need a doctorate to practice medicine, and many medical practitioners hold only a bachelor-level professional degree.

1cmanny1 wrote:Are you going to fill out forms as Dr now?

Yep. I strawberry floating hate "Ms" and I'm glad to be rid of it.

Image
User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Frank » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 am

Still not cool enough to make it into the OP :(

Image
User avatar
Slartibartfast
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Caerdydd/Worcestershire

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Slartibartfast » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:41 am

kiera229 wrote:
Alvin Flummux wrote:Ah, you got yours from Fake Chinese University too? :)

Japanese, duh ;)

Igor wrote:Yeah but not a real doctor.

Nope, that's a real doctorate. Medical practitioners are called "doctors" in English as an honorary title, regardless of whether they actually have doctorates. But you don't actually need a doctorate to practice medicine, and many medical practitioners hold only a bachelor-level professional degree.

1cmanny1 wrote:Are you going to fill out forms as Dr now?

Yep. I strawberry floating hate "Ms" and I'm glad to be rid of it.


I thought they get honorary doctorates even if they only do the medicine bachelor degree. So technically they are bona fide doctors.

User avatar
1cmanny1
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
Location: New Zealand

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by 1cmanny1 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:32 pm

Kiera, why did you get a PHD? You are quite young aren't you? Isn't it a better idea to work for a few years before getting your PHD? Or did you do that?

Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:41 pm

1cmanny1 wrote:Kiera, why did you get a PHD? You are quite young aren't you? Isn't it a better idea to work for a few years before getting your PHD? Or did you do that?


Who told you that, Manny?

Image Image
User avatar
kiera229
Member
Joined in 2011
Location: Japan

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by kiera229 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:19 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:I thought they get honorary doctorates even if they only do the medicine bachelor degree. So technically they are bona fide doctors.

Nope, medical practitioners don't need doctorate degrees. You can practice medicine with just an MBBS (which is a bachelor's degree), and in that case you're called "doctor" as a courtesy, but you don't just get a free doctorate along with your MBBS.

1cmanny1 wrote:Isn't it a better idea to work for a few years before getting your PHD?

Why would it be?

Image
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:39 pm

Frank wrote:Still not cool enough to make it into the OP :(


Only just got through the third page - you're up now! :)

User avatar
Frank
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Frank » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Yus 8-) Thanks, prof :wub:

Image
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:46 pm

So we've got four doctors in our ranks? Keira, JV, Mcjihge and Melly? Not bad at all. I aim to join you in a few years time. :D

Image Image
Something Fishy

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Something Fishy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Karlprof wrote:
Frank wrote:Still not cool enough to make it into the OP :(


Only just got through the third page - you're up now! :)


There's a page four now too :D

User avatar
Archaeon
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Archaeon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:36 pm

The strawberry float is an Open University?

i heard the voice of god in my head so i grabbed a rock in a fashionista way
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:37 pm

It's an organisation that offers accredited degrees as correspondence courses. You can take a series of modules if you just want to learn about a subject, or if you'd like to go through a full degree you can do that too. It's a criminally undervalued service in my opinion.

Image Image
User avatar
Archaeon
Member
Joined in 2012

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Archaeon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:39 pm

University of Phoenix?

i heard the voice of god in my head so i grabbed a rock in a fashionista way
User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Archaeon wrote:University of Phoenix?


No idea what that's about. The Open University is, AFAIK, it's own university. It just doesn't have a campus or anything like that. Red or SimonM or someone who has actually used the service might be better placed to speak about it than me. I think Staydead is doing a course with them as well.

Image Image
User avatar
Red
Member
Joined in 2008
AKA: Aelfi
Location: The middle

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Red » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:48 pm

kiera229 wrote:You can practice medicine with just an MBBS (which is a bachelor's degree), and in that case you're called "doctor" as a courtesy, but you don't just get a free doctorate along with your MBBS.


It's two bachelors degrees technically.

Coconut Bob wrote:You come across as feminine as a cave troll so its no wonder you have little concept of the way females should behave.

๏̯͡๏)
User avatar
Tell Karl his brother is dead
Daiakuma
Daiakuma
Joined in 2008
Contact:

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Tell Karl his brother is dead » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:59 pm

Corazon de Leon wrote:So we've got four doctors in our ranks? Keira, JV, Mcjihge and Melly? Not bad at all. I aim to join you in a few years time. :D


Fingers crossed I'll be able to do a PhD after my MPhys, but it's obviously early days yet. Do we know of anyone else intending to do one one day?

User avatar
Banjo
Member
Joined in 2008
Location: Nobody cares

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Banjo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Been considering it, though I can't see it coming to fruition anytime soon.

Something Fishy

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Something Fishy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:11 pm

I often think i'd like to have done one. I decided i needed to work and get some money and debts paid off back then (because of the drop out and a previous years YT before i was a couple of years behind where i should be and getting to an age i needed to start working).

My sister has done hers this past few years but it was bloody hard with young kids. Might be something to do when mine is an adult if the eyes allow it.

Last edited by Something Fishy on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bunni
Member
Joined in 2009

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Bunni » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Banjo wrote:Been considering it, though I can't see it coming to fruition anytime soon.


A Doctor of watching films? Pretty sure I'm due a PhD in Homemaking then.

User avatar
Saigon Slick
Member ♥
Joined in 2008
AKA: Deadpool / sntaa

PostRe: The Higher Education Megathread
by Saigon Slick » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Bunni wrote:
Banjo wrote:Been considering it, though I can't see it coming to fruition anytime soon.


A Doctor of watching films? Pretty sure I'm due a PhD in Homemaking then.


I'd do a doctorate in that gooseberry fool any day of t'week.

Image Image

Return to “Stuff”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abcd, Albear, Christmas.Past, darksideby182, Mistletooth, Poser, Preezy, TonyDA, Yahoo [Bot] and 67 guests